F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

Had a phone interview to be one of the instructors for those Paint Nite thingies. Yes, the things I've maligned and joked about in the past. For a part time gig, it actually pays pretty darn well if I get it.

So, if you're in Buffalo and you or the missus have pals who want to hang out at a bar, drink, and paint something like a sunset or sea turtle (their choice, not mine), you might just get little ol' me as your host for the evening. 

Definitely not the job I had in mind, but... I have steady bills to pay and freelance pay is too sporadic for my nerves. 

Oh yeah, another thing.

As many of you know I'm an accountant running my own practice and have since 2003.

There are many advantages to working for yourself, but the main disadvantage is that there is no guarantee as to work flow and, therefore, cash flow. 

I have always tried to have what I term an anchor client ... the one that will provide 50+ hours guaranteed work per month.  Fortunately, I mostly have had one of those, but at times they leave and there is a gap.

My latest anchor (teaching at a local Career College) seems to have wound up until I can take some courses so that the province can renew my teaching certification, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon with my crazy schedule.

Anyway, I have known a fellow CPA who has run her own accounting practice for about 30 years.  Recently her partner in the practice (another CPA) left her firm. We have had a number of conversations and tomorrow we are meeting to likely finalise a working relationship where I would contract services to her firm, at least initially and see what happens down the road.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Got the email for early dismissal from work today, so everyone gets to leave at 3pm instead of 5pm.

Except for me - I have a 3-5pm meeting with the CIO and her directs. FML :death:

Meeting got cancelled and rescheduled to next week due to "expected poor attendance"

WOOOO!!!! :beer:

Meeting got cancelled and rescheduled to next week due to "expected poor attendance"

WOOOO!!!! :beer:

I'm jealous. I stupidly took a production support error and now am stuck here until I fix it. 

The good news? I can leave once it's done

The bad? I don't know how to do it :lol:

Oh yeah, another thing.

As many of you know I'm an accountant running my own practice and have since 2003.

There are many advantages to working for yourself, but the main disadvantage is that there is no guarantee as to work flow and, therefore, cash flow. 

I have always tried to have what I term an anchor client ... the one that will provide 50+ hours guaranteed work per month.  Fortunately, I mostly have had one of those, but at times they leave and there is a gap.

My latest anchor (teaching at a local Career College) seems to have wound up until I can take some courses so that the province can renew my teaching certification, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon with my crazy schedule.

Anyway, I have known a fellow CPA who has run her own accounting practice for about 30 years.  Recently her partner in the practice (another CPA) left her firm. We have had a number of conversations and tomorrow we are meeting to likely finalise a working relationship where I would contract services to her firm, at least initially and see what happens down the road.

Good luck w/ it and have a good, safe, and spiritual Ramadan.

Been playing Street Fighter 2 all day on switch, man this game is awesome. Hurricane kicks and Dragon punches with Ken, good stuff. Can't wait til the Hori arcade stick comes out.

You use Ken?! Dude, I'll mess you up! Guile! ;)

I feel like I'm already checked out. It's been a busy few weeks. 

We're going to see Wonder Woman tonight! 

Are we allowed in yet?  

Anyway.  So much going on this weekend.  Greek Festival.  Porchfest.  Pride parade.  Not sure I'm going to be able to take it all in!

What is PorchFest?

People have bands or DJs on their porches or in their front yards, get a bunch of beer, and invite the neighborhood.  It kind of takes place all over the Elmwood Village.  It's pretty spontaneous.

People have bands or DJs on their porches or in their front yards, get a bunch of beer, and invite the neighborhood.  It kind of takes place all over the Elmwood Village.  It's pretty spontaneous.

Alright PorchFest sounds awesome