All About Natural Disasters

I recognize that there are free thinkers who have arrived at a belief in global warming, or man made global warming, of their own accord based on their own review of available evidence.  I also firmly believe that a majority of the country can't think their way out of a paper bag, and are perfectly content reading no further than the headlines of articles that show up in their facebook timeline, and get their "news" from the likes of Jon Stewart.  Even those moderately interested in politics and the environment are perpetually blasted by a lockstep media that won't tolerate freedom of thought.  The modern media has raised a generation of sycophants.  Google and facebook ensure contrary thoughts are never seen.  Confirmation bias takes care of the rest.

Many people have no idea why they believe in man made global warming - they just know that they do. 

Although I am one who believes that we should be doing everything in our power to keep this planet clean, I agree with this 100%. Instead of putting so much time and money into expounding global warming, how about we take that time and money and do something about cleaning up toxic third world cesspools. Global warming is debatable, however our rivers, streams and jungles becoming this ↓↓↓↓↓↓ is not. We can adapt to global warming, we can't adapt to destroying our natural resources. 

hqdefault.jpg

160629120534-plastic-tuvalu-super-169.jp

27D5FE3E00000578-3049457-Damaging_The_mo

So that's the one paper disputing MMGW. Nice work. You found it.

:devil:

Oh - it doesn't dispute it.  They start off by acknowledging all the problems in using ice bubbles, and then go on to use the data anyway.  It dates back to 1996 - before they learned not to put damaging information in their articles.  

Isn't that Detroit?

yes - in the center of the third picture you can see the thermometer stuck up its ass.

Man made climate change is real. We passed the tipping in the late 70's when we first noticed the change. Sure the earth temp varies... on a scale of centuries or millennium not decades. That's the key. A 1 degree change occurring over 30 years as opposed to 1,000 years.

With that I'm out. I will get banned if I participate any further.

Man made climate change is real. We passed the tipping in the late 70's when we first noticed the change. Sure the earth temp varies... on a scale of centuries or millennium not decades. That's the key. A 1 degree change occurring over 30 years as opposed to 1,000 years.

With that I'm out. I will get banned if I participate any further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GojN2lPum0Y

• 4 weeks later...

Holy crap fires in Northen Cali are scary... just left southern cali, its dry told my Dad to water everything, he has been conserving, not now... my brother is in Berkeley... same instructions... was wondering why so smoggy as we left... not the normal hue. Pics are devastating... wine country burned... for you whiners invest in French wines... supply might be a bit limited for the next few years so stock up on your Kendall Jackson and Mondovi wines...

• 2 weeks later...

Know what's sad, I got an email today about medical equipment and shortages because a lot of it was manufactured in Puerto Rico, and they don't expect any recourse until well into 2018, it raised a lot of questions, mainly how we will just switch to a few different solutions and act like nothing happened (and people still complained about it) I just don't like humanity sometimes

• 1 month later...

Say a prayer for my eighty-three year old Dad he and his house is in a direct line for where this fire is going toward Oceanside... he lives near rt 76 up the hill from the old mission St Luis Rey off Rancho Del Oro up on the hill.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Bonsall-Fallbrook-Oceanside-Lilac-Fire-Day-Two-San-Diego-County-462797683.html

Told him to water everything.

Edited by Kottbullar

Say a prayer for my eighty-three year old Dad he and his house is in a direct line for where this fire is going toward Oceanside... he lives near rt 76 up the hill from the old mission St Luis Rey off Rancho Del Oro up on the hill.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Bonsall-Fallbrook-Oceanside-Lilac-Fire-Day-Two-San-Diego-County-462797683.html

Told him to water everything.

Yikes.

Prayers are done for now and I will remember him at sunset.  And then some ...

• 1 month later...

It might be our turn.  1000 acre grass fire west of Fort Worth, strong winds blowing from the NW.  I hope this thing doesn't really get going.

The advantage of fighting fires here versus California is that the land is flat (mostly) so equipment can get where they need to be. 

The two major freeways (I-20 and I-30) are closed west of Ft Worth and the local areas have been evacuated.

26904678_10155219956437314_5517312719357

It might be our turn.  1000 acre grass fire west of Fort Worth, strong winds blowing from the NW.  I hope this thing doesn't really get going.

The advantage of fighting fires here versus California is that the land is flat (mostly) so equipment can get where they need to be. 

The two major freeways (I-20 and I-30) are closed west of Ft Worth and the local areas have been evacuated.

26904678_10155219956437314_5517312719357

Good luck w/ it. Looks like it's far enough away to be put out before it reaches you. Hope the smoke doesn't get too bad.

Up to 2000 acres burned, but they're reporting the forward progress has been stopped.  Also the wind which was 20+ mph when the fire started, is down to single digit speeds now.

You can smell it though.  Strong smell of burning everywhere.

We know. We're all Sabre fans. But can you smell anything related to the fire?

Coastal BC and Alaska were under a tsunami watch yesterday after an earthquake out in the Pacific.  Those things are very scary, especially since they don't llok like t hat much.  Nothing like in the movies.  The sheer power is just something else.

Fortunately, nothing materialised.  At last check anyway.

Coastal BC and Alaska were under a tsunami watch yesterday after an earthquake out in the Pacific.  Those things are very scary, especially since they don't llok like t hat much.  Nothing like in the movies.  The sheer power is just something else.

Fortunately, nothing materialised.  At last check anyway.

I was in Tokyo for the March 2011 earthquake. Then we went to the Tsunami devastated region (City of Ishinomaki, to be specific) for relief work in Oct '11 and March '12. 

After spending time up there I got a better sense of what it must have been like post-WW II Dresden or Tokyo where the neighborhoods were just wiped out entirely except for a random structure here or there. I'll never forget it. 

• 3 months later...

Kilauea erupting again. Destroying homes again. Why live there? Probably because when you don't have lava in your living room it's freaking awesome. Do they sell volcano insurance like they sell flood insurance? Does FEMA have a volcano map?

Kilauea erupting again. Destroying homes again. Why live there? Probably because when you don't have lava in your living room it's freaking awesome. Do they sell volcano insurance like they sell flood insurance? Does FEMA have a volcano map?

Yes volcanic eruption insurance exists, at least as far as I know in the US (hawaii, washington, wherever else).

My friends whose wedding we attended this weekend are headed to Hawaii tomorrow for their 2 week honeymoon- they are spending their first week and a half on Kauai but then had the second half of the last week on the big island... I'm curious to see how it affects their trip- given that Hawaii is a very tourism based economy. I guess it's kinda like booking a trip in the Caribbean during August... you don't EXPECT a hurricane, but you're in the right area for one... hope you have travel insurance and a backup plan. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.