All About Natural Disasters

I live in Brandon. I can actually tell you the intersections the red line travels over.

I get a feeling that by tomorrow afternoon-dinner time the projections are going to be completely different. Irma took a dip south into Cuba which they weren't expecting which will throw off the models, not to mention it looks like it's slowed down the last few frames of radar I watched. 

I think it's going way west, or way east of the current model. But, that's just my semi-educated guess. I'm probably way off. 

If I'm wrong and it stays this way, stay safe. Don't get too worried just yet, you and I both know how quickly it can change. 

On a positive note, the dip it took into Cuba delayed the projected landfall by almost a full day so at least we can watch the Bills game. 

Drk4: Damn is right. I am thinking of Nietzsche. Not "God is dead" Nietzsche, but "that which does not kill us, makes us stronger" Nietzsche. I hope I have the right Nietzsche!

JJ: You used "on a positive note" and "we can to watch the Bills game" in the same sentence!

NS: Gracious, gracious. Grateful, grateful.

Edited by Neo

I live in Pensacola. Not projected to hit here at all but it keeps shifting west. We've been taking in people from southern and central Florida around here. Not sure what would happen if it came into the gulf...

Another 24 hrs to strengthen?  That would be damned scary.

I live in Pensacola. Not projected to hit here at all but it keeps shifting west. We've been taking in people from southern and central Florida around here. Not sure what would happen if it came into the gulf...

I wasn't certain where you were in Florida. Best wishes. Pensacola's had its share of this.

Drk4: Damn is right. I am thinking of Nietzsche. Not "God is dead" Nietzsche, but "that which does not kill us, makes us stronger" Nietzsche. I hope I have the right Nietzsche!

JJ: You used "on a positive note" and "we can to watch the Bills game" in the same sentence!

I'm sorry, I won't let it happen again.

If the predictions are to be trusted, I'm sure you'll be grateful to have to live with a cat 3 hurricane over a 4-5 like was initially predicted. You can get through that. 

The right Nietzsche is the one on Allen St in Buffalo. Which means you should move here so that you don't have to sweat hurricanes.  :blush:

So my cousin in St Petersburg owns his house and the one next to him- used to be his mother's. His house is suggested evacuation... hers is mandatory. Nuts, huh? He's staying and family from lower areas in Tampa and farther south are joining him. Most of my Tampa/St Pete friends are out now. 

Then there's my relative on the water in Ft. Myers... 

I have a worry it'll either swing north and slam the west coast, or keep going into the gulf, regain power, and slam New Orleans. I'm hoping it just keeps going west and fizzles out. 

Stay safe. You JJ and all SSers down there.  I find when we breathe a sigh of relief because mother nature takes pity, she throws a curve or our best defenses fail.  A levee breaks, or the storm dumps a 1000 year rainfall.  

The right Nietzsche is the one on Allen St in Buffalo. Which means you should move here so that you don't have to sweat hurricanes. :blush:

Drk4: How could I forget?! I spent an evening, or two, there ... many, many, years ago. I had hair!

Thanks, 3putt. True, true.

I just stepped outside. It's calm; calmer in the morning than it was at bedtime.  You all know eerie calm. The path's become the "worst case" scenario.

Impressions:

1). Seeing the neighbors - we've gathered along sidewalks a few times. Wonderful group. Most interesting was the mood changes over the past two days as the forecast has become worse. You can feel people. My neighbor, Joe, could probably rebuild a home, himself, over a long weekend. He certainly has the know how and tools. Earlier this week, the predictable confidence in a man so steeped in home building and construction left me comfortable. The survivability of our homes was the topic. Confidence by osmosis! Yesterday, Joe was apprehensive. His sentences were constructed with fewer "wills" and "won't" and more "ifs" and "coulds." Nothing beats face to face talking for communication. It made me think of devices and social media and the changes in the way we communicate. Oh, seeing the wrinkles grow in Joe's brow over the last few days was disquieting.

2). Mrs Neo is making bacon, eggs, onions, mushrooms and all sorts of feast food. That's what she does. Everywhere we are is a home. Everyone in our home is a family. "It's going to spoil, anyway." My house smells so good. She's worked and worked these last few days. While I was closing my office on Friday, she was waiting in line to self fill 25 sandbags at a public depot. Four and a half hours waiting in a car line followed by forty minutes of shoveling in Florida heat to fill bags, all alone. I am a lucky man.  My advice to young, single, men - marry farmer's daughters.

3). My daughter, our last child at home, asked me for money to get some supplies on Friday. "How much?" "Two hundred, but I'll bring you change." She returned with ten yards of duct tape, THREE portable cell phone battery packs ("one for each of us"), and snacks. Ah, youth and generational priorities.

I am seeing hurricane satellite pictures and the like. My mind wandered to destructive power and awe and I recalled Robert Oppenheimer and the Bhagavad Gita. "I am become Death, destroyer of worlds." Vishnu, I hear you.

Edited by Neo

Drk4: How could I forget?! I spent an evening, or two, there ... many, many, years ago. I had hair!

Thanks, 3putt. True, true.

I just stepped outside. It's calm; calmer in the morning than it was at bedtime.  You all know eerie calm. The path's become the "worst case" scenario.

Impressions:

1). Seeing the neighbors - we've gathered along sidewalks a few times. Wonderful group. Most interesting was the mood changes over the past two days as the forecast has become worse. You can feel people. My neighbor, Joe, could probably rebuild a home, himself, over a long weekend. He certainly has the know how and tools. Earlier this week, the predictable confidence in a man so steeped in home building and construction left me comfortable. The survivability of our homes was the topic. Confidence by osmosis! Yesterday, Joe was apprehensive. His sentences were constructed with fewer "wills" and "won't" and more "ifs" and "coulds." Nothing beats face to face talking for communication. It made me think of devices and social media and the changes in the way we communicate. Oh, seeing the wrinkles grow in Joe's brow over the last few days was disquieting.

2). Mrs Neo is making bacon, eggs, onions, mushrooms and all sorts of feast food. That's what she does. Everywhere we are is a home. Everyone in our home is a family. "It's going to spoil, anyway." My house smells so good. She worked and worked these last few days. While I was closing my office on Friday, she was waiting in line to self fill 25 sandbags at a public depot. Four and a half hours waiting in a car line followed by forty minutes of shoveling in Florida heat to fill bags. Alone. I am a lucky man.

3). My daughter, our last child at home, asked me for money to get some supplies on Friday. "How much?" "Two hundred, but I'll bring you change." She returned with ten yards of duct tape, THREE portable cell phone battery packs ("one for each of us"), and snacks. Ah, youth and generational priorities.

I am seeing hurricane satellite pictures and the like. My mind wandered to destructive power and awe and I recalled Robert Oppenheimer and the Bhagavad Gita. "I am become Death, destroyer of worlds." Vishnu, I hear you.

Well keep in mind the sage wisdom of the Honorable James Griffin: "grab a six pack and get to know the family." I jest because I am powerless to do anything. Never liked that feeling. Again Godspeed!

LOL!  My sister, still in Buffalo, texted me a reminder of Hizzoner's sage advice just yesterday.  He was pilloried, if I recall, but there is, indeed, some wisdom in his sentiment.   Here's to Marcus Aurelius, Jimmy Griffin, Stoicism, and, in today's vernacular, "it is what it is."

LOL!  My sister, still in Buffalo, texted me a reminder of Hizzoner's sage advice just yesterday.  He was pilloried, if I recall, but there is, indeed, some wisdom in his sentiment.   Here's to Marcus Aurelius, Jimmy Griffin, Stoicism, and, in today's vernacular, "it is what it is."

It looks like it will arrive full force in your area at around mid-night, or very early morning tomorrow.

Hurricane Juan (cat 2, yeah, I know, but this is a dead on hit on Halifax, NS ... we never knew anything like it and I pray that we don't ever see one again) hit us dead on at around midnight September 29, 2003.  It felt worse do to the timing, IMO.  We were without power for 10 days, but that is mostly on the jackasses at NS Power.

I am praying for you, your family, friends, neighours and everyone and everything else in harms way.  That may not sound like much, but it is from the heart.

Stay safe, Neo! The winds have "dropped" to 120 so that helps some. But that's not saying much. I've been getting hit for 16 hours straight now, taken out some trees, messed up a ton others, and we aren't getting the winds you'll get. Thankfully, it's picked up forward speed so hopefully you won't be in harms way for long. 

Stay safe, Neo! The winds have "dropped" to 120 so that helps some. But that's not saying much. I've been getting hit for 16 hours straight now, taken out some trees, messed up a ton others, and we aren't getting the winds you'll get. Thankfully, it's picked up forward speed so hopefully you won't be in harms way for long.

Glad you've survived the brunt.

Good luck to Neo, Stuck, Gregkash, & any others awaiting stormfall down in our nation's member.

:beer:

Looking much better ... inland, eastern ... if all goes well, a scary night and then no power, but I'll have a roof and dry carpet! The likely scenario is now "annoying!"

You all warm me ...

I was ecstatic that it stayed out of the gulf so it weakened and is continuing weakening. Be safe and remember to tear out your carpet and the bottom of the drywall ASAP if you get flooded. You don't need black mold getting you sick while you're trying to rebuild your life.

Hoping for the best for you!

Life's funny. The eye of oneof history's most powerful Atlantic storms passed my house, 12 miles to the east, last night. I'm calling this a direct hit, category 2, hurricane event in terms of stories for grandkids.

Irma proved to be a non-event. Oh, it was a loud and nasty night. I lost power for 90 minutes and had another half dozen on/off flickers. My pool was breached, so to speak, and is a muddy green.

We are healthy. We are safe. Our home is intact. Wait for it ... I'm grateful to friends, family and God.

Now, I have some noodling to do. My mind is a counter clockwise swirl of words and ideas; apprehension, trepidation, preparation, control, stoicism, media, neighbors, etc. I have dozens of impressions needing to find a theme!

Now, my good fortune was not shared by all. People died and lost homes. Billions of dollars in property value is gone. People suffered. My roof intact, my attention turns to them.

Well wishers - thank you!

If it was possible to stand, the first thing I'd want to do if I was one of those reporters in the hurricane would be to grab a baseball and throw the fastest pitch of my life.  I was watching a bit of the weather channel coverage with my brother who is up from Florida and I think the craziest thing of all was right when the eye wall reached their guy in Naples.  He's out there doing his thing and then a pickup truck goes zooming by in the other direction.  What on earth was that person doing?

Sooooooo, I have a vaca planned for ft myers beach starting Saturday. It won't put me out too much to delay it a week or two. What are your thoughts?

I'd postpone. With all the cost and effort associated with a trip, I'm sure you'd like as many things "open and vibrant" as possible. Fort Myers took a harder blow than I did. Think messy for weeks as opposed to devastated. Restaurants, putt putts, shopping, beach stores ... may not yet be open for business. We (Tampa) have some areas that may be without power for days. Fort Myers has more. Nothing starts to repair until there's power.

Call your host. He or she will know better than me!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.