All About Natural Disasters

The best part about legitimate scientific papers is that you are required to make clear where your funding comes from. The most popular "scientific papers" that are used by deniers have been caught not disclosing this information (and do hysterical things like invoke a peer review process that involves getting people who are sciency who agree with the conclusions of the paper to say that they agree with the conclusions of the paper, presented in list form, and not actual peer review). 

I've been begging for an excuse to put a project together on this topic actually, so I think I might get started. It's going to take a long time though because I ###### suck at physics and have a looooot of it to do this semester. And that's WITH me getting lucky on my TA assignment and waiting until spring to start my research lol

ahhh - the innocence of youth.  I was a science major in college, too.  Pure scientific research untainted by the need to get funding, get published and stay employed is intoxicating.

I've come to the conclusion that our country, and probably the world will end long before I need to worry about running out of dino juice, so I'm officially in the camp of I don't give a ###### anymore.  I'm hoping McDonald's comes out with styrofoam containers again so I can chuck that ###### out my window.  

post-1934-0-40073700-1505253180_thumb.jpg

You don't find it a little ironic that you state money as a reason to promote the idea of global warming?

No. Do you honestly believe money and politics don't play a role in pushing the agenda?

Edited by korab rules

ahhh - the innocence of youth.  I was a science major in college, too.  Pure scientific research untainted by the need to get funding, get published and stay employed is intoxicating.

I've come to the conclusion that our country, and probably the world will end long before I need to worry about running out of dino juice, so I'm officially in the camp of I don't give a ###### anymore.  I'm hoping McDonald's comes out with styrofoam containers again so I can chuck that ###### out my window.  

attachicon.giflitterbug indian.jpg

No. Do you honestly believe money and politics don't play a role in pushing the agenda?

Probably. But just a tiny fraction of how much money plays a role in pushing the agenda that it doesn't exist. Thus the irony.

So I tried to cancel my hotel in Charlotte for Friday (as Ft Myers Beach is still a mess) through hotels.com and they won't refund any of the money.  So should I pursue this through the website or the Sheraton? 

You might be screwed. If you had booked through the hotel you might have had some recourse but a lot of these travel booking websites are not going to give you anything back. 

You can try dealing with hotels.com, but I don't know how much luck you'll have. The hotel probably can't do anything for you though. 

You might be screwed. If you had booked through the hotel you might have had some recourse but a lot of these travel booking websites are not going to give you anything back. 

You can try dealing with hotels.com, but I don't know how much luck you'll have. The hotel probably can't do anything for you though. 

Hotels.com told me to piss off.  I don't exactly have $130 bones to just throw away.  :(

impossible to quantify, but at least we can agree it is happening on both sides.

It's probably possible to quantify. And if I had to guess, the money made by pushing the agenda is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of money made by keeping the truth in doubt.

It's probably possible to quantify. And if I had to guess, the money made by pushing the agenda is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of money made by keeping the truth in doubt.  spent perpetuating an unproven theory that drives people to the polls and that our supporters make a lot of money on. 

Fixed that for you.

I would guess the opposite, so  :nana:

Fixed that for you.

I would guess the opposite, so :nana:

That doesn't even make any sense. I guess you've already started hitting the brown.

My point is that industry make waaaaaay more money by not having to adhere to invironmentally sound standards than a bunch of scientists looking for grants.

But you've already stated that you don't even give a no matter what the truth is. Just go ahead and throw your garbage out the window.

That doesn't even make any sense. I guess you've already started hitting the brown.

My point is that industry make waaaaaay more money by not having to adhere to invironmentally sound standards than a bunch of scientists looking for grants.

But you've already stated that you don't even give a ###### no matter what the truth is. Just go ahead and throw your garbage out the window.

There are a lot more people than scientists with their hands out. How many 10's of billions of tax dollars have been spent on so "green technology" with absolutely nothing to show for it? You don't even have to go outside the city of buffalo to see how industry in the name of saving the environment gets everyone greased and paid. In the meantime, the left and their green energy industrialists are trying to legislate and regulate the right and the brown energy industrialists into a position where green energy might actually be able to compete on its own merit.

I just want to smoke a cigar, drink some bourbon, and drive my V8. I wouldn't drive a Prius if you gave me one. I'd take one of those sweet electric motorcycles, though.

I'm looking at a longer timeline than just the past 17 years. There is a bit of a cycle time wise, but it just seems like more of them are seeing landfall.

What sort of timeline are you looking at?

Anything going back more than about 60-70 years for anything but just the US and a handful of other countries will be incomplete & even their data will become more unreliable before that.

Are we seeing more or are we seeing hurricanes that are more devastating $ wise because there are a lot more structures & a lot more luxurious structures along the Atlantic & Gulf coasts in this country than there were back pre-1970?

Well, two hurricanes did hit New York City. That's somethin'.

2 hurricanes did hit NYC. Sandy devastatingly sadly. Neither was a Cat 3. Agnes back in '73 nearly breached the Mount Morris dam upstate. Hurricanes don't hit north of the Mason Dixon line often, but they always have done so occassionally.

The best part about legitimate scientific papers is that you are required to make clear where your funding comes from. The most popular "scientific papers" that are used by deniers have been caught not disclosing this information (and do hysterical things like invoke a peer review process that involves getting people who are sciency who agree with the conclusions of the paper to say that they agree with the conclusions of the paper, presented in list form, and not actual peer review). 

I've been begging for an excuse to put a project together on this topic actually, so I think I might get started. It's going to take a long time though because I ###### suck at physics and have a looooot of it to do this semester. And that's WITH me getting lucky on my TA assignment and waiting until spring to start my research lol

Let's not forget that many scientific studies that are pro-MMGW are by college professors who are funded by federal grants. 

The pro and anti MMGW crowds are the most vocal. Unfortunately the scientists that conclude that we have absolutely no way to prove, or disprove, MMGW are the ones you'll never hear about. When, in fact, they are the most correct. 

And for the record, when Sandy hit NYC, it was an incredible timing of natural coincidences that two major storms collided with one another and demolished an entire region. If it had been simply Tropical Storm Sandy that hit, it would have brought some rain and wind and nobody would have talked about her the next week. 

You're a .

So I tried to cancel my hotel in Charlotte for Friday (as Ft Myers Beach is still a mess) through hotels.com and they won't refund any of the money.  So should I pursue this through the website or the Sheraton? 

Yep, you're screwed.  The only booking service that you have any hope with is booking.com.  They don't charge the money until you get to the hotel.

attachicon.giflitterbug indian.jpg

Please don't patronize me. I'm no longer a science major, I'm pursuing a PhD and am about to actively engage in the entire process myself. 

I am the boogieman  :devil:  :devil:  :devil: comin for yo' tax dollars. 

I'll let everyone know what the machine tells me my research needs to show.

This is assuming I don't flunk myself out before quals. Holy today was rough. Please forgive Flagg for anything dumb he said today, his brain is fried. Time for bed.

You're a ###### ######.

Wow - no one has a sense of humor around here anymore!

Please don't patronize me. I'm no longer a science major, I'm pursuing a PhD and am about to actively engage in the entire process myself.

I am the boogieman :devil: :devil: :devil: comin for yo' tax dollars.

I'll let everyone know what the machine tells me my research needs to show.

This is assuming I don't flunk myself out before quals. Holy ###### today was rough. Please forgive Flagg for anything dumb he said today, his brain is ###### fried. Time for bed.

Glad to hear about your success. Good luck with the process. In 10 years, I would be interested to hear if your thinking has changed.

There are a lot more people than scientists with their hands out. How many 10's of billions of tax dollars have been spent on so "green technology" with absolutely nothing to show for it? You don't even have to go outside the city of buffalo to see how industry in the name of saving the environment gets everyone greased and paid. In the meantime, the left and their green energy industrialists are trying to legislate and regulate the right and the brown energy industrialists into a position where green energy might actually be able to compete on its own merit.

I just want to smoke a cigar, drink some bourbon, and drive my V8. I wouldn't drive a Prius if you gave me one. I'd take one of those sweet electric motorcycles, though.

Aside from the Bourbon, I like the Cigar and V8 deal, but stating we have nothing to show for it... is myopic at best...  Solar is taking off on a grand scale.  You should see the number of farm fields in central and western and central NY taken over by Solar Panels.  Not sure this is all good.  Also forget the Prius, I want a Tesla or that new electric Pickup Truck... http://workhorse.com/pickup/

Havelaar-Bison-2.jpg

Yes, yes. And no petroleum company has ever received billions in gub'ment subsidies or tax breaks.

Again, saying you don't care about what science tells us is a much different argument than saying it's just lies based on greed, which is ridiculous. I can at least respect you saying you just don't give a ######.

Edited by SwampD

Ever breathed in motor fumes?

Think enough of that ###### pumped into the air isn't going to ###### you up?

Common sense.

Two-pack-a-day smokers probably blamed corrupt scientists and journalists too.

As someone who considers himself of the Roosevelt Conservationist mindset, my opinion on Global Warming is that the things we're doing to try to mitigate it are things we should be doing anyway. We need clean air and water. We need our energy sources to pollute less. Anything we can do that is good for the fish and the birds is fine by me, and I don't give two craps about how it hurts any shareholders profits. There's more to living on this planet than capitalism. Spend a week in the Adirondacks and tell me the cost of global warming mitigation is too high. 

As someone who considers himself of the Roosevelt Conservationist mindset, my opinion on Global Warming is that the things we're doing to try to mitigate it are things we should be doing anyway. We need clean air and water. We need our energy sources to pollute less. Anything we can do that is good for the fish and the birds is fine by me, and I don't give two craps about how it hurts any shareholders profits. There's more to living on this planet than capitalism. Spend a week in the Adirondacks and tell me the cost of global warming mitigation is too high.

This is me exactly. Don't where you eat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.