The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Couldn't resist. There's no bad time for a Bruce Campbell quote but it just seemed to fit in there nicely.

Agreed.. on both counts!

Had Prairie Christmas Bomb yesterday.  WHOA... 13% and I felt every bit of it.  It drinks more boozy than World Wide Stout does at 18%.  It's really good though.

Sierra Nevada's Celebration showed up at my house this week. 

I'm not even lying when I say that, as much as almost anything I've done, seen, experienced these last few weeks, having a couple of those got me in the holiday spirit.

You inspired me with this.  The wife and I split a six pack last night while celebrating our Christmas.  I'm at work all weekend, it was needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a case of Storm King before the holidays, may have one in a few. I picked up one of these for NYE but didn't get around to opening it.

http://beerstreetjournal.com/victory-jubilee/

I'll have to find a night that I'm comfortable with 750ml of 12% beer.

d4rk's got Storm King stories.

Rather... other people have stories of d4rk and Storm King.... 

Just poured a Southern Tier 2x Oak'd IPA. I'm excited.

Heard about that being available.  How was it?  I'm an oak fan and I like it in IPAs as well.

I picked up a case of Storm King before the holidays, may have one in a few. I picked up one of these for NYE but didn't get around to opening it.

http://beerstreetjournal.com/victory-jubilee/

I'll have to find a night that I'm comfortable with 750ml of 12% beer.

Been awhile since I had Jubilee.  Friday night's are always a good night for a 750ml 12% beer... I'll probably do that tonight even.

I'll just guess... there was one time when he had 2 and decided he was the Storm King? :P

It's perhaps my most favorite beer of all time.  But I don't need to drive to Amherst.  I actually have the recipe for the beer.  I'm good friends with the guy who built the recipe and brews the beer.  

Forgot to update: Had it 2 weekends ago. Extremely smooth and balanced. One of the best porters I've ever had. Cheers for the recommendation!

I once drank a whole six pack and became the storm.

Sounds about right... a whole six pack eh?  I do not envy how you must have felt the next day.

Forgot to update: Had it 2 weekends ago. Extremely smooth and balanced. One of the best porters I've ever had. Cheers for the recommendation!

:beer: - Awesome.

Heard about that being available.  How was it?  I'm an oak fan and I like it in IPAs as well.

Been awhile since I had Jubilee.  Friday night's are always a good night for a 750ml 12% beer... I'll probably do that tonight even.

I'll just guess... there was one time when he had 2 and decided he was the Storm King? :P

I once drank a whole six pack and became the storm.

My choice was an entire growler of Yakima Glory (d4rk IPA, http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/yakima-glory/).Rumor has it Victory stopped making it to keep me out of trouble.

• 1 month later...

I was recently the glad recipient of a 4-can-pack of Big Ditch's Deep Cut (double IPA).

It was not what I expected out of an imperial. The profile is not all that bold. Not a lot of bitterness (which I often enjoy out of imperials). The mouth feel (sorry - a term I sorta despise) not all that syrupy. Maybe even some distinct maltiness?

Anyway. It was just a really well-balanced beer. One that manages to carve out a niche in a crowded field. I liked it quite a lot.

• 3 months later...

Okay so guys please don't bust on me for not drinking alcohol (I don't at all), but I actually love beer. I drink na beer everyday. Clausthaler dry hopped is my favorite, the only na IPA I've ever found. It's very very good. Cascade hops. If I gave it to you you wouldn't know it was na.

Also I like old Milwaukee na (kind of like PBR) and Labatt Blue na. Also Becks na.

Six Point C.R.E.A.M. 

Meh. I've had much better coffee beers. I thought, considering it was a cream ale with coffee, that it would be a light refreshing coffee flavor but not heavy or thick so I could go through a couple in a sitting even out in the sun.

But it tastes less like a cup of joe and more like liquid coffee beans if you know what I'm trying to say. More like coffee grounds and less like a smooth brew. 

The search continues...

Six Point C.R.E.A.M.

Meh. I've had much better coffee beers. I thought, considering it was a cream ale with coffee, that it would be a light refreshing coffee flavor but not heavy or thick so I could go through a couple in a sitting even out in the sun.

But it tastes less like a cup of joe and more like liquid coffee beans if you know what I'm trying to say. More like coffee grounds and less like a smooth brew.

The search continues...

Wooden Robot, coffee vanilla blonde.

Okay so guys please don't bust on me for not drinking alcohol (I don't at all), but I actually love beer. I drink na beer everyday. Clausthaler dry hopped is my favorite, the only na IPA I've ever found. It's very very good. Cascade hops. If I gave it to you you wouldn't know it was na.

Also I like old Milwaukee na (kind of like PBR) and Labatt Blue na. Also Becks na.

Since I drink beer I would never try this under normal circumstances.  However, I will take up your challenge on not knowing it is an NA beer.  I get together with a group of guys who periodically do blind tastings (we don't even know what beers are being tasted).  I'll add this to the mix next time (of course I'd know which beer it was) but I'll test 8-10 others on it.

And no ripping on you for not drinking.  Everyone has their own preferences and reasons.

Six Point C.R.E.A.M. 

The search continues...

Have not had this... but I am always curious with coffee beers as some brewers continue to put coffee in the whirlpool or worse the boil.  This would lead to some extremely bitter coffee notes in a beer as coffee needs to be brewed hot and consumed hot or brewed cold and consumed cold.  Brewing it hot leads to far more acidic flavors and you'll notice it even more as it cools. 

For me, I would only add coffee to a secondary fermentation.  If I were brewing a beer with a decent amount of hops I would first cold crash the primary fermentation to get the hops to drop out of suspension and then raise the temperature back up to about 50-55 degrees and let the coffee step in the secondary fermentation for 24-48 hours.  This will give you the sweeter more balanced flavor of the coffee from the cold brew without the grounds getting all screwed up with hops.

Since I drink beer I would never try this under normal circumstances. However, I will take up your challenge on not knowing it is an NA beer. I get together with a group of guys who periodically do blind tastings (we don't even know what beers are being tasted). I'll add this to the mix next time (of course I'd know which beer it was) but I'll test 8-10 others on it.

And no ripping on you for not drinking. Everyone has their own preferences and reasons.

Have not had this... but I am always curious with coffee beers as some brewers continue to put coffee in the whirlpool or worse the boil. This would lead to some extremely bitter coffee notes in a beer as coffee needs to be brewed hot and consumed hot or brewed cold and consumed cold. Brewing it hot leads to far more acidic flavors and you'll notice it even more as it cools.

For me, I would only add coffee to a secondary fermentation. If I were brewing a beer with a decent amount of hops I would first cold crash the primary fermentation to get the hops to drop out of suspension and then raise the temperature back up to about 50-55 degrees and let the coffee step in the secondary fermentation for 24-48 hours. This will give you the sweeter more balanced flavor of the coffee from the cold brew without the grounds getting all screwed up with hops.

LTS that sounds awesome man! Let me know how it goes, I really don't think they'll know it's na. Make sure it's the dry hopped Clausthaler (there are several beers from Clausthaler). ☺

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.