The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

• 2 weeks later...

Grabbed a Wegmans 6er the other night.

Ellicottville Fall fest lager: Pretty good for a lager, about what I expected

Troegs JavaHead stout: Very good, won't go as far as great. Right up my alley

Genny Oktoberfest: Solid. Wasn't sure what to expect but I enjoyed it. Prefer Great Lakes Oktoberfest but I imagine Genny's price is hard to argue with.

Hamburg Oktoberfest: Very good. Almost has a hint of orange zest in it? Might just be me. I think Great Lakes is slightly more malty which I like but this is damn good.

Woodcock Brothers amber ale: A little underwhelmed. Its not amber in color, looks like a hazy lager. Decent flavor but was hoping for a little more.

Big Ditch Excavator: Haven't opened this can up yet but Excavator is one of my all-time favorite beers. I know I'll love it.

Also bought a 4-pack of Rohrbach vanilla porter. Another one of my all-time favorites

Cheers guys/gals, it's Friday

Edited by TheDominator

PIcked up a 15-pack of Founder's Celebration IPA. Nice, solid IPA and (when on sale, especially) a nice price. It's been around $20 at Wegs before. This one was expensive at $25, but I had a fire going in my yard, no beer, and the brew-thru is the closest place to my house to buy. I think I'll start riding my bicycle to it to balance things out. :)

Edited by MattPie

Grabbed a Wegmans 6er the other night.

Ellicottville Fall fest lager: Pretty good for a lager, about what I expected

Troegs JavaHead stout: Very good, won't go as far as great. Right up my alley

Genny Oktoberfest: Solid. Wasn't sure what to expect but I enjoyed it. Prefer Great Lakes Oktoberfest but I imagine Genny's price is hard to argue with.

Hamburg Oktoberfest: TBD

Woodcock Brothers amber ale: TBD

Big Ditch Excavator: Haven't opened this can up yet but Excavator is one of my all-time favorite beers. I know I'll love it.

Also bought a 4-pack of Rohrbach vanilla porter. Another one of my all-time favorites

Cheers guys/gals, it's Friday

All about dat Vanilla Porter. My winter couch snack go-to is a growler of that and some Limburger. Mmmmm

Grabbed some Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald tonight because it's perfect weather. Being consumed along side pierogi and kielbasa as God intended.

I've come to the conclusion that if you were to ask me what my favorite beer of all time is, it would be this one. There's no other beer that I am more consistently satisfied by. It's just perfect.

That is an excellent choice. It may be mine as well -- I will need to reflect on that a bit. I'd have thought a brown ale would be my all-time favorite. 

I had a few Edmund Fitz's this past summer while in the 216 (on a cool night (typical of the summer past, really)). And the beer was so, so ... SO good, and so perfect for the situation, that I had to like ... just STOP, and be like, DAMN, this is good.

Genny Oktoberfest is solid this year.  Again.  Severely underrated.

Duly noted. Thanks.

For you IPA lovers, I stopped by the New Glarus Brewery in Wisconsin. The Moon Man IPA is superb. All elements in the process from the grain, hops, glass, bottle caps are made in Wisconsin. Close to Madison so another reason to come to Madison to see Casey and the Gophers go up against the Badgers. :)

I was surprised. But now I want more. I'm not an IPA champion by any means but I could session Heady Topper.

It's too hard to get throw back a six pack. But I'd probably do it anyway. Was in Vermont last year when it came out. The line to get some looked like a new iPhone release day full of lumberjack wannabes.

Is still just a seasonal release?looked it up. Not seasonal, just extremely limited release, and only within 25 miles of the brewery.

Edited by korab rules

It's too hard to get throw back a six pack. But I'd probably do it anyway. Was in Vermont last year when it came out. The line to get some looked like a new iPhone release day full of lumberjack wannabes.

Is still just a seasonal release?looked it up. Not seasonal, just extremely limited release, and only within 25 miles of the brewery.

I think I could do a six. They list it at 8% but I question the accuracy of that. It doesn't drink like it's that heavy.

• 1 month later...

Last night was awesome enough to have a fire outside and to celebrate me being outside at the fire and not in my house with 9 screaming 10 year old girls I enjoyed a Young Lion IPA.  Young Lion is a new brewery in Canandaigua.  They are Rochester's largest (next to Genny of course).  They are turning out some pretty good stuff and canning the Pilsner and IPA (so far that I've seen).

Of course right now I am enjoying Space Kitty from Rohrbach.  $8.99 for a 4 pack of 16 oz cans.. helluva deal for a really good DIPA.

• 2 weeks later...

Flying Bison has a Small Batch Series brew out right now called Blackbird Stout, and it might be the best beer Flying Bison has ever made.

I'm fairly certain that was in his early days line up.  At least my rapidly fading memory thinks it was.

Speaking of IPA's, my cousin stopped though town a few weeks ago on his way to Cali and brought me some Heady Topper. That's a hell of a beer. The hype is deserved.

It's in a select class of things that have lived to its hype, in my experience. An astonishing brew.

My crew even did a blind taste test last year -- we had at least top-50 Beer Advocate IPAs and DIPAs -- and everyone was able to pick out the HT.

I think I could do a six. They list it at 8% but I question the accuracy of that. It doesn't drink like it's that heavy.

Having put back 4 in a sitting, I will say 8% is accurate. It's part of its miraculousness.

Ha! I've had that same experience. I've been twice to buy as much as I could (there are retail limits wherever you go). Another time, the first store that I first stopped at had the delivery truck on-site when I arrived (I think they self-distribute?). Anyway, I just followed that guy around like a lost puppy for hours. 

Resurgence's Vanilla Cappuccino Pumpkin Ale is my favorite pumpkin beer by a large margin. Not overwhelmingly spiced. In the past I'd drink a Warlock, my second favorite pumpkin beer, once or twice at the beginning of the season, then call it a day for all pumpkin beers until the next fall. Van Cap I can easily drink a 4 pack of tall boys in a weekend and enjoy every one. Resurgence can be underwhelming, but that one hits me right where I live.

Edited by sabills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.