The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Yeah, Ugly Pug is solid.  Fritz Rahr had a pug dog that lost an eye along the way.  The dog depicted on the label is his dog.

I like all their dark beers.  The also have Iron Thistle Scotch Ale which is excellent.

And the label on their Blonde lager is interesting.  It depticts Fritz Rahr’s mother, Jodell, who was a model in the 1940s and 1950s, as well as the second runner up in the 1952 Miss Universe pageant.

rahrs_blonde.png

Edited by Doohickie

Yeah, Ugly Pug is solid. Fritz Rahr had a pug dog that lost an eye along the way. The dog depicted on the label is his dog.

I like all their dark beers. The also have Iron Thistle Scotch Ale which is excellent.

And the label on their Blonde lager is interesting. It depticts Fritz Rahr’s mother, Jodell, who was a model in the 1940s and 1950s, as well as the second runner up in the 1952 Miss Universe pageant.

Very neat, thanks for the backstory there. I actually thought the artwork was so cool that I brought the cardboard pack back in my carry-on to show my fiancée. She said she prefers cute pugs...

Wish I had a chance to check out some local breweries in person. Was at a conference in Westlake, but we were shuttled from the airport so I didn't have a car. There was a liquor store right in the hotel complex that had great craft beer. It was easier to just pick some up there instead of messing with Uber and getting back late. Also tried Sasquatch imperial chocolate milk stout, which I think was local-ish

• 2 weeks later...

Bought Founders Lizard of Koz last night. Planning on cracking it open tonight, excited to try it. Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout with blueberries, chocolate and vanilla. 10.5%

Had it on tap the other night at Basin Pub.  I'm not a vanilla fan in beer (or blueberries) but the mix of everything together worked well enough.  I wouldn't go for a full bottle but it is a well put together beer.

Basin Pub was holding its 3rd annual "Night of the Stouts"

This was the tap list when I got there (I tried most of them in small samples)

av4npbyl.jpg

Had it on tap the other night at Basin Pub.  I'm not a vanilla fan in beer (or blueberries) but the mix of everything together worked well enough.  I wouldn't go for a full bottle but it is a well put together beer.

Basin Pub was holding its 3rd annual "Night of the Stouts"

This was the tap list when I got there (I tried most of them in small samples)

av4npbyl.jpg

Awesome. From that list, I haven't had any of those offerings before (closest I've been is Founder's Breakfast Stout). How does their KBS differ from their normal breakfast stout?

Awesome. From that list, I haven't had any of those offerings before (closest I've been is Founder's Breakfast Stout). How does their KBS differ from their normal breakfast stout?

KBS is the bourbon barrel version of it (Kentucky Breakfast Stout).  They had CBS on prior that's a maple and slightly smoked version of it (Canadian Breakfast Stout).  KBS is usually hit or miss depending on how they've done the aging.  I say hit or miss in relation to each years release but it's usually pretty good.  CBS is almost always outstanding.. assuming you like those flavors.

Can't say I'm the biggest porter fan in the world, but last week I had some Ballast Point Victory at Sea with coffee and vanilla and...my goodness, I loved it. Gonna pick up a 4-pack today.

Victory at Sea gets made in a bunch of different variations as well.  Strangely enough I dislike the original but the Peppermint version (which might be around now) is actually pretty good.

If you like porters, and like Baltic Porters specifically, see if you can find Three Heads 2016 Baltic Porter. In my opinion it's one of the best beers on the planet.  The genesis of the beer stems from when the head brewer was at Custom Brewcrafters in Rochester and developed it as one of their Signature Series releases.

I still have some of hte original versions of it (over 5 years old now) and it has held up well but the 2016 release as Three Heads Baltic Porter is absolutely killer.

KBS is the bourbon barrel version of it (Kentucky Breakfast Stout).  They had CBS on prior that's a maple and slightly smoked version of it (Canadian Breakfast Stout).  KBS is usually hit or miss depending on how they've done the aging.  I say hit or miss in relation to each years release but it's usually pretty good.  CBS is almost always outstanding.. assuming you like those flavors.

Victory at Sea gets made in a bunch of different variations as well.  Strangely enough I dislike the original but the Peppermint version (which might be around now) is actually pretty good.

If you like porters, and like Baltic Porters specifically, see if you can find Three Heads 2016 Baltic Porter. In my opinion it's one of the best beers on the planet.  The genesis of the beer stems from when the head brewer was at Custom Brewcrafters in Rochester and developed it as one of their Signature Series releases.

I still have some of hte original versions of it (over 5 years old now) and it has held up well but the 2016 release as Three Heads Baltic Porter is absolutely killer.

I'll have to keep my eye out for all of the beers mentioned above. I'm assuming the Three Heads Baltic Porter is easier to find than the KBS or CBS? 

Kraft could be buying Boston Beer? Sam Adams tasting like a ketchup/cheese sandwich?

Whaaaaaaa?  That will be a massive ripple in the force.

I'll have to keep my eye out for all of the beers mentioned above. I'm assuming the Three Heads Baltic Porter is easier to find than the KBS or CBS? 

Definitely easier to fine but it is seasonal so some stores may be out of it now.

Sierra Nevada's Celebration showed up at my house this week. 

I'm not even lying when I say that, as much as almost anything I've done, seen, experienced these last few weeks, having a couple of those got me in the holiday spirit.

Indeed!

Whaaaaaaa?  That will be a massive ripple in the force.

Definitely easier to fine but it is seasonal so some stores may be out of it now.

Indeed!

There were about 6-8 bottles of the baltic porter left at my Wegmans so I grabbed one. I'll try it this weekend and crack it open with my dad! Having an Ellicottville Chocolate Cherry Bomb imperial stout. So, so good.  :beer:

There were about 6-8 bottles of the baltic porter left at my Wegmans so I grabbed one. I'll try it this weekend and crack it open with my dad! Having an Ellicottville Chocolate Cherry Bomb imperial stout. So, so good.  :beer:

Which Wegmans?  I might go buy the rest. :)

I can only drink light beer now. I just love drinking beer and if its too strong I get too drunk so I try and drink beer that's as close to water as I can get 

I could suggest a multitude of beers that under 5% alcohol if you are so inclined.

As usual, I put off bottling my beer for about a week longer than I planned on because its a huge pain. I can't wait to get my kegging system...

You'll never go back to bottling... that's pure hell.

I could suggest a multitude of beers that under 5% alcohol if you are so inclined.

You'll never go back to bottling... that's pure hell.

My wife "got" me a kegging system for my birthday in September (ie. she gave me the go-ahead to buy one). I've got to figure out what I want and buy it. It'll probably happen in February or so once we recover from Christmas. I am very open to suggestions.

Edited by sabills

Wegmans in Amherst. Might be a bit of a hike for you but if it's as good as you say it is...

It's perhaps my most favorite beer of all time.  But I don't need to drive to Amherst.  I actually have the recipe for the beer.  I'm good friends with the guy who built the recipe and brews the beer.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.