The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Big Ditch is having their 2nd annual Stoutsgiving on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. 8 different stouts will be available. If you ask me, they might as well just call it Christmas. I'll need to stop in and try a couple.

1) Bourbon Barrel Aged Towpath Imperial Stout (2017)

This bourbon barrel aged version of our imperial stout, which was originally brewed to commemorate our 200th batch, is a beast of a beer itself, clocking in at 10.6% ABV, and featuring a full-bodied, rich and roasty flavor, complemented by notes of vanilla and chocolate from the barrel aging process. This years version was aged 8 months in Woodford Reserve barrels, and by comparison is even smoother than last year's version at that time.

This beer will be sold in 22oz bottles only for $14 each. We will be cracking a few bottles and serving 9oz pours at the bar.

2) Bourbon Barrel Age Towpath (2016)

It's a wonder what a year does to a big beer like this one. The bourbon notes have smoothed out leaving a wonderfully complex, rich, yet almost drinkable 10.8% ABV imperial stout. A limited number of bottles will be opened for vertical tastings.

3) Raspberry Bourbon Barrel Age Towpath (2017)

One of our barrels tasted completely fine but looked like the stability might be poor - so we added 80 pounds of fresh raspberries courtesy of Erdle Farm to the barrel and made this velvety, dessert concoction. Featuring flavors of tart raspberry, chocolate, and sweet, sweet bourbon, this beer turned out ridiculous. On draft only, but we'll allow a maximum of 50 x 32 oz growlers for sale. 

4) Towpath Imperial Stout (2017)

The non-barrel aged version of 2017 Towpath. We'll be tapping one keg. Also available for verticals. 

5) Chocolate MIlk Stout 

The first production batch of this decadent beer. Our Chocolate Milk Stout is brewed with plenty of cocoa nibs, roasted barley, lactose sugar and oats. This is a rich, dark chocolate stout with semi-sweet flavor and a medium-bodied mouthfeel.

6) Chocolate Milk Stout with toasted coconut (cask)
7) Chocolate Milk Stout with vanilla beans, cinnamon, and chipotle pepper (cask)
8) Make Me Wanna Stout

Fresh batch. This coffee and cream stout is brewed with Revolution coffee beans from Public Espresso + Coffee. Besides the rich coffee flavor, this beer features a light roast from the roasted barley used, a light sweet finish from the milk sugar used, and a creamy body from the oatmeal used. Let's Go Buffalo!
Edited by TheDominator

It's the anniversary of the sinking of the Fitzgerald........ 1975.

70 mph winds, 25 foot waves on Superior with rogue waves over 40 feet...... powerful stuff. 29 mariners lost......

I don't know a lot of polish...... GM was polish, GF was Czech......... "daj mi piwo", and "daj mi buziaka" was pretty helpful over the years........

70 mph winds, 25 foot waves on Superior with rogue waves over 40 feet...... powerful stuff. 29 mariners lost......

I don't know a lot of polish...... GM was polish, GF was Czech......... "daj mi piwo", and "daj mi buziaka" was pretty helpful over the years........

I had to look up buziaka up to see what it meant.  My family shortened it in pronunciation to something more like daj mi buzia or buzi.  What you wrote translates as "Give me (a) kiss."  buzia means face, buzi means mouth.  In English at least, those, especially mouth, make it sound much more intimate (to me anyway).  The reason I went into all that detail is I met a native Pole, she was the quality manager at a company my company does business with.  She asked me if I spoke Polish and I said that I spoke just a little.... things like "Daj mi buzi."  Boy did she blush (more so than I would have expected).  I think I know why now.

Edited by Doohickie

I posted about it in the random thread and a quick painting I did of her, but yeah. I'm hoping to have a porter in her honor tonight. 

Good doc on her if anyone's interested: 

Still one of my favorite beers, honestly. 

Good doc on her if anyone's interested: 

Still one of my favorite beers, honestly. 

I ... I had no idea the incident was so recent (well within my lifetime even). Damn.

I have a family friend -- well into his 80s now -- who spent his career on commercial vessels navigating the Great Lakes; the last third of his career was at the rank of captain. I reckon he would've known some of the sailors who died on that ship.

I ... I had no idea the incident was so recent (well within my lifetime even). Damn.

I have a family friend -- well into his 80s now -- who spent his career on commercial vessels navigating the Great Lakes; the last third of his career was at the rank of captain. I reckon he would've known some of the sailors who died on that ship.

My mother spent many of her summers as a young woman with her cousin as a Captain's guest aboard those ships. Dated a sailor for awhile (I've seen the pictures- he was SUPER handsome, but according to her, not too bright haha). She has some amazing stories about trying to pick her way across those 1/8 mile long decks on a clear night- no lights, low guardrails, wearing high heels/nice dress, the stars blazing overhead, just praying she didn't misstep and fall overboard. 

She enjoyed a fair few voyages on the William Clay Ford, which was one of the ships that went out the next day to search for Big Fitz, a few months prior to the disaster. 

Such a tragedy. 

My favorite beer is a seasonal Vanilla Porter from Four String, and the brewery had a release party today because it’s back! They served it up three ways:

-Traditional Vanilla Porter

-special batch infused with cinnamon and coffee

-Rootbeer float style with vanilla ice cream

I may have had all three ;)

Oh, man. You are in danger of having the *one* beer I absolutely cannot stand: No beer.

I went with no beer for a day or two, and they picked up some Los Angles based session IPA that I can't recall the name of. It's not bad, pale, cloudy yellow with a lot of citrus, but at 4.5% it doesn't feel like drinking beer (since I only have one or two). The price wasn't bad, $19 for a 15-pack.

• 4 weeks later...

I have some Founders CBS waiting for me back in Buffalo. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about it.

My son (he's such a good boy) brought a nice variety from Buffalo for a visit, and we also just cracked open a Founder's CBS. OMG, it is incredible!!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have

• 1 month later...

This is great news, and, I think a pretty big deal (as local beer goes).

From what I can infer: CBW has the license (and recipe?) to produce Iroquois Beer.

DTxOh3FW4AcTl5T.jpg

This is very cool. Here's what they tweeted about it:

Iroquois Beer is back! And we're brewing it! We're starting with a soft launch on February 1st with a full launch in April. We've crafted a mighty fine tipple for fans (old & new) of this revered local brand. Join us and "Have an Iri!" Spread the word, it's gonna be a thing.

Probably about $2 a bottle retail (i.e., a six-pack for $12). Just like any other "craft beer."

If they price it like a craft beer I'm out.

I'm in at $12 for a 12 of cans. I'll pay more than I pay for Genesee to support the local guy, but there's a limit.

If it's just gonna be another craft beer for $10/6 pack then I ain't care atoll.

I hope it's priced right.

Fair point. Days gone by, there were rogue rumours that they were shooting for 30 packs of the stuff. What I read today indicated it's gonna be six packs (not sure if cans or bottles) in a fun retro package of some kind.

Probably about $2 a bottle retail (i.e., a six-pack for $12).  Just like any other "craft beer."

It will be interesting to see. My guess is that it will be in that 9.99-10.99 range.

If they price it like a craft beer I'm out.

I'm in at $12 for a 12 of cans. I'll pay more than I pay for Genesee to support the local guy, but there's a limit.

If it's just gonna be another craft beer for $10/6 pack then I ain't care atoll.

Fair. This may be the trickiest part for CBW. They may not have the scale to price it the way you're talking.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.