The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

That Big Mouth looks awesome. Have you ever used one? I would worry about that lid but if I stick to buckets for secondary this would be the ideal primary. It's going on my xmas list. Thanks man.

Never used one.  I had cone to a conical when they came out with those.  I tried the better bottles and while they were better than glass carboys they still had the cleaning issue.

That Big Mouth looks awesome. Have you ever used one? I would worry about that lid but if I stick to buckets for secondary this would be the ideal primary. It's going on my xmas list. Thanks man.

I have a Big Mouth. Its great. Super easy to clean and take care of. I also do a couple batches a year where I use fruit in it, and putting it in/taking it out is a ton easier with that opening. I'd suggest the plastic one, the glass ones had some shattering issues early on. They might have fixed it, but I haven't heard one way or the other. Plastic is a ton lighter, too.

I have a Big Mouth. Its great. Super easy to clean and take care of. I also do a couple batches a year where I use fruit in it, and putting it in/taking it out is a ton easier with that opening. I'd suggest the plastic one, the glass ones had some shattering issues early on. They might have fixed it, but I haven't heard one way or the other. Plastic is a ton lighter, too.

Any problems with the lid seal? Do you use it for a secondary? This was my first seal issue and I didn't like it one bit. My batch still smells great through the airlock sniff test, but what a waste of time and resources for a bad batch.

No but I want to go. I kinda love that they are growing.

That Porter though, get a half pour.

I always take a full pour. If I don't like it then that's on me. I just had a pint and a half of CB's Thanks Gibbon. That's on me. I like CB. Local to me but that one was trying too hard. That's the problem with Nedloh. I could walk to their brewery, but then I'd notice their Elderberry Saison(which I've had) and wonder why I bothered.

Any problems with the lid seal? Do you use it for a secondary? This was my first seal issue and I didn't like it one bit. My batch still smells great through the airlock sniff test, but what a waste of time and resources for a bad batch.

I've had them not bubble, but usually its because I screwed up, not the lid. A good twist usually does the job. Just because you aren't bubbling certainly doesn't mean the batch is going to go bad.

I've used it for both primary and secondary. Eventually I'm going to get another one so I can use them for both.

Stay away from glass... you don't want it.

Google spontaneous glass breakage and brewing.. I dare you.

Genny Brew House is awesome.  Thai Chili wings are killer.  Their pilot series beers are good, especially the ones that are brewhouse only.

Chocolate Salted Caramel Porter?  Great as an ice cream topping but damned if you drink a whole one of those... too sweet.

Genny Brew House is awesome. Thai Chili wings are killer. Their pilot series beers are good, especially the ones that are brewhouse only.

Chocolate Salted Caramel Porter? Great as an ice cream topping but damned if you drink a whole one of those... too sweet.

Not to mention 11% ABV. a four pack of those and I'm like night night.

Genny Brew House is awesome.  Thai Chili wings are killer.  Their pilot series beers are good, especially the ones that are brewhouse only.

Chocolate Salted Caramel Porter?  Great as an ice cream topping but damned if you drink a whole one of those... too sweet.

I had a glass at dinner with some friends some time ago at a place in Webster. 

It was exactly like melted ice cream. I liked it more than I had expected, but definitely a dessert beer. They made it with Hedonist, so I wasn't surprised it was sweet, rich, and ice creamy. 

Though as a lady I gotta say, it'd be a perfect choice for those monthly times when you need alcohol and want chocolate! 

D4rk - so, last night I walked into a bar.. ouch.

But seriously, Fireside Chat was on tap so I immediately ordered one.

I felt nothing strange.. looked for some different flavors in the beer and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.  

Pretty interesting reaction you have to it.

So... Genesee created a "salted caramel chocolate porter" it's something that's for sure.

Not to mention 11% ABV. a four pack of those and I'm like night night.

Bought it as my local Wegs last week. I think there was a decent porter hiding in there before someone dumped the caramel coffee syrup in it. I don't mind gimmick beers like those, but it's way overboard on the flavor. I drank the rest of them but wouldn't buy it again. Anyone seen a case of these around Rochester?

s-l300.jpg

D4rk - so, last night I walked into a bar.. ouch.

But seriously, Fireside Chat was on tap so I immediately ordered one.

I felt nothing strange.. looked for some different flavors in the beer and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Pretty interesting reaction you have to it.

You know what, I didn't have any problems with it after the first one.

Gonna try this experiment again some time haha

I don't mind gimmick beers like those,

Do you get Lakewood beers around your area?  If so, all the Temptress series beers are pretty darned outstanding.  The one "gimmicky" one that jumped out at me was one called "Sin Mint."  It tastes *just like* Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies.  My first reaction to the concept was EWWW, but one taste and I was a believer.  It usually comes out in February when Girl Scout Cookie sales are in full force.

Do you get Lakewood beers around your area?  If so, all the Temptress series beers are pretty darned outstanding.  The one "gimmicky" one that jumped out at me was one called "Sin Mint."  It tastes *just like* Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies.  My first reaction to the concept was EWWW, but one taste and I was a believer.  It usually comes out in February when Girl Scout Cookie sales are in full force.

I'll keep an eye out. I had a mint stout a few years ago that was pretty good, so I can believe that's some good stuff. Found it! http://www.springhousebeer.com/pages/beer

satans-bake-sale_logo.png

Bottled that IPA tonight. It was black and thick like week old coffee and it was goooooood. No strangers got in there. I took the time to wire a new light over the brew table and what a difference. Bottling was so easy it was fun. I'm going to use blueberries next brew and try to replicate Rorbach's blueberry ale. Things were so much easier I'm jumping right on another batch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.