The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

My head hurts a little in the aftermath of last night, and I couldn't be happier. The fact that trading away 21 for Lehner didn't stop GMTM from getting ROR left me elated. So while I really didn't like the Lehner trade initially because of the perceived value, at this point it doesn't really matter who 21 and 31 were used to get because GMTM got both of his trade targets. Oh, and that Eichel kid might be pretty good. To keep this on topic, I finished the night with an imperial stout brewed at Stoneyard Brewery in my hometown. It is a great time to be a Buffalo fan.

My head hurts a little in the aftermath of last night, and I couldn't be happier. The fact that trading away 21 for Lehner didn't stop GMTM from getting ROR left me elated. So while I really didn't like the Lehner trade initially because of the perceived value, at this point it doesn't really matter who 21 and 31 were used to get because GMTM got both of his trade targets. Oh, and that Eichel kid might be pretty good. To keep this on topic, I finished the night with an imperial stout brewed at Stoneyard Brewery in my hometown. It is a great time to be a Buffalo fan.

Good guys at Stoneyard. I was concerned that they were going to be yet another of the "me too" breweries that have popped up in Rochester but they know their stuff.  Brockport eh?

I drank box wine in college on more than a couple occasions when it was all that was available / cheapest.  The depths I'd sink to for intoxicating beverages in those days knew no boundry.

Thats too true. I remember drinking a cheap wine called Lonesome Charlie. If I remember correctly it came in either a four pack or six pack of bottles not unlike soda.

Tried a "Not Your Father's Root Beer" this weekend, which is a beer that tastes like root beer (I know, surprising). It was...odd. I'm glad I only bought one bottle; it was worth trying, but I can't imagine drinking a sixer of it. I love good root beer/birch beer, and it definitely tasted like that, but somehow it was just off. It was quite sweet, and every once in a while I'd catch a fleeting taste of beer-iness, but maybe that was psychological; I knew it was beer, but it didn't taste like it. It confused my beer brain a bit. It was worth a try, anyways.

Tried a "Not Your Father's Root Beer" this weekend, which is a beer that tastes like root beer (I know, surprising). It was...odd. I'm glad I only bought one bottle; it was worth trying, but I can't imagine drinking a sixer of it. I love good root beer/birch beer, and it definitely tasted like that, but somehow it was just off. It was quite sweet, and every once in a while I'd catch a fleeting taste of beer-iness, but maybe that was psychological; I knew it was beer, but it didn't taste like it. It confused my beer brain a bit. It was worth a try, anyways.

That stuff is delicious.  But it's so sweet that I can't have more than one.  

A few years back Sam Adams came out with the Patriot's Pack or something like that.  There were 4 beers brewed from Colonial time recipes.  I am pretty sure one of them was a root beer.  That was the thing at the time, same with ginger beer in that they used fermentation to add some carbonation to the beverage but couldn't pull out the alcohol component.  So, Root Beer and Ginger Beer were alcoholic at the time, even if only somewhat.

In following that style it would remain sweet because the brewer would interrupt the fermentation process leaving unfermented sugars in the batch.

I did all that research years ago, so I might be misremembering.

I haven't had this rendition yet.  I would imagine that besides the sweetness it's really just a matter of steeping the botanicals in the boil, whirlpool, or secondary (depending on how each botanical holds up.)

Edited by LTS

Always wanted to try George Washington's beer recipe:

http://www.beerhistory.com/library/holdings/washingtonrecipe.shtml

Not very descriptive, though. Its like the recipe cards you get from a great aunt or something. "Add the right amount of flour...".

This needs to happen, mostly because I love porters.

Here is more on the Brewer Patriot Collection.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/683/

I don't understand Sam Adam's small batch issue. At least half of their special brews that I've had I would describe as downright bad.

Interesting.. I've found that most of their one-off special series were superior to their mass produced counterparts.

I'm not saying I loved them.. but things like

Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout

Fat Jack Pumpkin (we did a blind tasting with people who work in the beer industry (ie. brewers, brewery reps) and it won.

Third Voyage Double IPA

Dark Depths Porter

Verloren Gose

Thirteenth Hour

Tetravis

I liked those.. the others I thought were decent enough.  

I'm a consumer, not a brewer...

Recently, I've noticed a few hops "orchards" or "vineyards" or what ever you call a plot of land where hops are being grown..... around Rochester. They are fields of telephone poles spaced maybe 20 feet apart with wires connecting the tops of the poles in row-like fashion. The hops plants grow up wires or strings that attach from the ground, to the wires strung across the tops of the poles. If you see one of these areas you'll know. They are very unique.

My question is ..... who is buying the hops being grown there? Private guys who like to brew? (Brew supply houses?)

Wouldn't the taste/quality of the hops vary quite a bit?

My question is ..... who is buying the hops being grown there? Private guys who like to brew? (Brew supply houses?)

Wouldn't the taste/quality of the hops vary quite a bit?

To your first question: The nano's and micro's in the region -- Resurgence, Big Ditch, Community Beer Works, etc. -- will be standing in line to buy locally-sourced hops. There are some popular hop varieties (especially the ones used for American IPAs) that you can't get for a fair price unless you're willing to wait 9 months -- the supply is not meeting demand.

In addition to which, there's a big malting operation that opened somewhere just outside Buffalo's downtown core -- down Larkinville way maybe. It's gonna be hella cheaper, I think, for the local brewers to get their malt supply in that way.

To your second question: I think that's' a fair point and concern. We'll hafta to wait and see how the locally grown stuff turns out. I think it promises to be quality stuff. In addition, we have the chance to develop a "local flavour," if you will.

I'm a consumer, not a brewer...Recently, I've noticed a few hops "orchards" or "vineyards" or what ever you call a plot of land where hops are being grown..... around Rochester. They are fields of telephone poles spaced maybe 20 feet apart with wires connecting the tops of the poles in row-like fashion. The hops plants grow up wires or strings that attach from the ground, to the wires strung across the tops of the poles. If you see one of these areas you'll know. They are very unique.My question is ..... who is buying the hops being grown there? Private guys who like to brew? (Brew supply houses?)Wouldn't the taste/quality of the hops vary quite a bit?

I am a consumer as well, but their is a brewery down here in Richmond that grows everything they put in their beers on their farm.

http://www.lickingholecreek.com/who-what-when-where-why-how

That picture prolly looks familiar to you... Anyway, their beers are great, but expensive. They actually have a pumpkin beer that comes out when a pumpkin beer should....around thanksgiving! They harvest the pumpkins in Early September....they don't use canned pumpkin etc.

On that topic, was in Total Wine this weekend looking for some Hop Sun...no more. Already phasing out the summer beers in friggin JUNE! I don't want a Pumpkin beer in August! Or a winter warmer in September

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.