The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

You should shop at AJ's Beer Warehouse.. on Clay Road in Henrietta.  Huge cold beer selection, better service, and better prices that Beers of the World.

I think you are thinking of World of Beer.  That's a bar with a lot of beer.. one in Syracuse too.  Beers of the World is a beer store in Rochester.  It has history but in my opinion has been surpassed by many other bottle shops in the area.  It's part of Angotti Beverage which is also in Batavia.

That said... I've heard nice things about World of Beer.

I was driving through Batavia so I stopped at Angotti's for convenience (I couldn't remember the name so I said Beers of the World).

You should shop at AJ's Beer Warehouse.. on Clay Road in Henrietta. Huge cold beer selection, better service, and better prices that Beers of the World.

I think you are thinking of World of Beer. That's a bar with a lot of beer.. one in Syracuse too. Beers of the World is a beer store in Rochester. It has history but in my opinion has been surpassed by many other bottle shops in the area. It's part of Angotti Beverage which is also in Batavia.

That said... I've heard nice things about World of Beer.

My bad

I was driving through Batavia so I stopped at Angotti's for convenience (I couldn't remember the name so I said Beers of the World).

Convenience is always a key factor.  Better beer pricing is only important if you don't waste that savings in gas and time. :)

My bad

When is it supposed to open?  I've never been to the one in Syracuse as I rarely have a reason to go to Syracuse.  I am in Buffalo far more often.

A world record 366 taps!  I wanted to take my brother when he was in town this past weekend, but unfortunately they didn't open until this week.  It's amazing how far this area has come in the craft beer world considering you couldn't buy beer > 6% abv in this state a decade ago.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2015/07/22/move-over-munich-world-record-beer-garden-opens-in-usa/

A world record 366 taps!  I wanted to take my brother when he was in town this past weekend, but unfortunately they didn't open until this week.  It's amazing how far this area has come in the craft beer world considering you couldn't buy beer > 6% abv in this state a decade ago.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2015/07/22/move-over-munich-world-record-beer-garden-opens-in-usa/

The Pizza Plant up in Amhearst NY likes to argue that if you have that many taps, you're probably going to be serving some "dusty" beer since you won't be able to turn over enough volume to keep things fresh. Maybe they're using sixtels instead of full kegs for the oddball stuff or something.

The Pizza Plant up in Amhearst NY likes to argue that if you have that many taps, you're probably going to be serving some "dusty" beer since you won't be able to turn over enough volume to keep things fresh. Maybe they're using sixtels instead of full kegs for the oddball stuff or something.

True, I'd like to think that they have a system in place to prevent that. If you've ever been to a Yard House they have miles of extra long draft lines visible up in the ceiling which always made me think there was a high likelihood of getting a bad beer from it sitting in the line too long.

True, I'd like to think that they have a system in place to prevent that. If you've ever been to a Yard House they have miles of extra long draft lines visible up in the ceiling which always made me think there was a high likelihood of getting a bad beer from it sitting in the line too long.

Ick, especially if the lines are clear letting the light get to them. I like my local place, they have around 12 taps and seemingly only get a keg or two of each beer before they change to something else. Even when I went there a couple times a week it was rare that they'd have the same set of beers on the list as the last time.

Edited by MattPie

A world record 366 taps! I wanted to take my brother when he was in town this past weekend, but unfortunately they didn't open until this week. It's amazing how far this area has come in the craft beer world considering you couldn't buy beer > 6% abv in this state a decade ago.

Oh my lord...

It seems that almost every place is using 1/6 barrels for most of the craft beer stuff. At least around here anyway. Still, that is around 50 servings. There is bound to be some older beer with that many taps unless the place is really busy.

Here is the menu, the first floor is dedicated to strictly local NC beers and currently has 112 taps going..

http://theraleighbeergarden.com/menu/

Oh my lord...

Road Trip!!

3/22/16.  Sabres @ Canes.  Dare I suggest that we take a group of Sabre space pillagers to the Raleigh Beer Garden, take on all 366 taps and then descend upon the surrounding countryside to rape, pillage and baby eat with our bellies full of craft beer goodness....

If only there wasn't a baby in the equation; I'd so be there. My wife likes beer a lot too, she'd probably suffer the drive (and drunk me).

3/22/16.  Sabres @ Canes.  Dare I suggest that we take a group of Sabre space pillagers to the Raleigh Beer Garden, take on all 366 taps and then descend upon the surrounding countryside to rape, pillage and baby eat with our bellies full of craft beer goodness....

I think you might have a few death notices if you tried to take on all 366 taps over a few days.

I think you might have a few death notices if you tried to take on all 366 taps over a few days.

When I went to see the Bills play in Houston a few years back, the Bills Backers drank several downtown Houston bars dry.

Just sayin'.   :angel:

3/22/16. Sabres @ Canes. Dare I suggest that we take a group of Sabre space pillagers to the Raleigh Beer Garden, take on all 366 taps and then descend upon the surrounding countryside to rape, pillage and baby eat with our bellies full of craft beer goodness....

Where do I sign up?

Should I tailgate outside the beer garden with cans of Milwaukee's Best Ice or just meet up with everyone afterwards at the arena?

Should I tailgate outside the beer garden with cans of Milwaukee's Best Ice or just meet up with everyone afterwards at the arena?

No.  You will be stationed on the second floor in the pils / pale lager section.  There you can take out taps of Miller, Coors and Bud Light.  Maybe some Stella, Amstel Light or Yuengling if you want to go crazy.

It's alright dude, I got some Molson 3.0 I've been hanging on to since '94. I'll smuggle it in and we'll be all set.

No.  You will be stationed on the second floor in the pils / pale lager section.  There you can take out taps of Miller, Coors and Bud Light.  Maybe some Stella, Amstel Light or Yuengling if you want to go crazy.

Oh ok. I didn't know such a fine establishment even carried such swill. I'll have to bring in some reinforcements with me though, sir, because I generally don't drink light beer out of the principal that it's just diet beer under a different name (so men will purchase it). I have a handful of friends with no such conviction though that will gladly undertake the responsibility to eradicate all mass produced light beers while I focus on the mass produced regulars such as Labatt Blue, Budweiser, MGD (not the 64 stuff though) Genesee, Genny Cream Ale, and any others I drunkenly stumble across. We'll obliterate the second floor before we commence with baby eating, sir (Do you prefer General, Colonel, Commander, etc.?) 

Anyone tried Hamburg Brewing Co?

Had their saison. It wasn't bad, but it tasted like cloves. I'd like to try their IPA.

It's tough for local brews to compare with Southern Tier, for me. Not only did I go to school with the brewers, I also like everything about them and their beer- most of it.

A couple sips of the creme brulee, mokah, or 2x milk stout is impressive, but cloyingly rich. I like their recent releases, and think they do session beers quite well.

Had their saison. It wasn't bad, but it tasted like cloves. I'd like to try their IPA.

It's tough for local brews to compare with Southern Tier, for me. Not only did I go to school with the brewers, I also like everything about them and their beer- most of it.

A couple sips of the creme brulee, mokah, or 2x milk stout is impressive, but cloyingly rich. I like their recent releases, and think they do session beers quite well.

I was at Hamburg Brewing over the Winter.  they had 2 or 3 saisons then.  I recall enjoying them. 

Hamburg Brewing is a stones throw from where I grew up.  I visited the brewery not long after they opened, its a beautiful space and I'd recommend making the trip to visit.  The beers were so-so to below average IMO, but again this was after they just opened so maybe they've improved.

Southern Tier is top notch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.