The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Southern Tier is my favorite brewery by a significant margin. They have my favorite beer in probably 50%+ of each category they're in. Nobody else is even close to that.

I've always avoided Southern Tier as I am not an IPA fan. So their porter/ales/stouts etc. are good?

I've always avoided Southern Tier as I am not an IPA fan. So their porter/ales/stouts etc. are good?

All are great.

At Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville. This place is beyond words...so awesome. Sitting outside in the beer garden, drinking super fresh SN...plus they have some styles that they only have in their taproom. A nitro Stout, mild, bitter etc. If you love beer then you must come here. You must.

All are great.

At Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville. This place is beyond words...so awesome. Sitting outside in the beer garden, drinking super fresh SN...plus they have some styles that they only have in their taproom. A nitro Stout, mild, bitter etc. If you love beer then you must come here. You must.

Awesome, another brewery I can try out

So here's a view of the beer garden behind the Sierra Nevada brewery.  The back of the brewery looks down over an amphitheater that backs up to the French Broad river.  According to one of our Uber drivers, rumor has it that they will kick off their concerts there soon with a large national act.  I love the fact they kept this in the tradition of a true German beer garden with chill music, no TV's and just an awesome place to relax, enjoy nature, friends and great beer.  New Belgium has their work cut out for the brewery they will be opening in 2016 near downtown Asheville.

And the food...duck fat pommes frites... smoked pig cheeks... awesome.

post-61-0-74284600-1438008492_thumb.jpg

So here's a view of the beer garden behind the Sierra Nevada brewery.  The back of the brewery looks down over an amphitheater that backs up to the French Broad river.  According to one of our Uber drivers, rumor has it that they will kick off their concerts there soon with a large national act.  I love the fact they kept this in the tradition of a true German beer garden with chill music, no TV's and just an awesome place to relax, enjoy nature, friends and great beer.  New Belgium has their work cut out for the brewery they will be opening in 2016 near downtown Asheville.

And the food...duck fat pommes frites... smoked pig cheeks... awesome.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150726_131638704.jpg

Southern Tier is similar on a smaller scale. Indoor/outdoor space, pic-i-nic tables and grass to spread out on, which is big thing for me these days so I can let RosePie crawl around.

Southern Tier is similar on a smaller scale. Indoor/outdoor space, pic-i-nic tables and grass to spread out on, which is big thing for me these days so I can let RosePie crawl around.

Good to know as I'll be vacationing on Chautauqua lake later this summer and have Southern Tier penciled in for a few "sessions".

And Deschutes is looking at Asheville for their east coast brewery.  Just an embarrassment of craft beer riches in western NC.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/04/24/craft-brewer-deschutes-eyeing-asheville-area-brewery/26302979/

Good to know as I'll be vacationing on Chautauqua lake later this summer and have Southern Tier penciled in for a few "sessions".

And Deschutes is looking at Asheville for their east coast brewery.  Just an embarrassment of craft beer riches in western NC.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/04/24/craft-brewer-deschutes-eyeing-asheville-area-brewery/26302979/

FYI, Southern Tier is Thursday-Saturday only.  Plan accordingly.

All are great.

had no idea they had an eastern outpost.

had no idea they had an eastern outpost.

It just opened earlier this year. The New Belgium east coast brewery should be more exciting as it likely signals New Belgium availability in WNY soon.

There were already plenty of reasons to visit Asheville with the Biltmore, blue ridge parkway etc. But now with the elite craft beer scene it becomes a no brainer.

Bought a 12 of Genny today for 5.99 no tax.

My condolences.

It just opened earlier this year. The New Belgium east coast brewery should be more exciting as it likely signals New Belgium availability in WNY soon.

There were already plenty of reasons to visit Asheville with the Biltmore, blue ridge parkway etc. But now with the elite craft beer scene it becomes a no brainer.

Serious, if anyone is in Asheville, the brewery to go to is Wicked Weed. Sierra Nevada is borderline swill. New Belgium, with exception of their Lips of Faith series, is even worse.

In spirit of thread, just finished Nobel Ale Works Tongue Tickles. Not as good as I Love It or Citra Showers, but excellent nonetheless.

Edited by kas23

My condolences.

Serious, if anyone is in Asheville, the brewery to go to is Wicked Weed. Sierra Nevada is borderline swill. New Belgium, with exception of their Lips of Faith series, is even worse.

In spirit of thread, just finished Nobel Ale Works Tongue Tickles. Not as good as I Love It or Citra Showers, but excellent nonetheless.

Agreed on wicked weed. But calling SN and NB anything close to swill is total and complete nonsense.

+1 for the Biltmore reference

If I recall, Asheville Brewing Co. had a large covered outdoor space too, but in a city cement patio format. That's the on near downtown, apparently there are 3 now.

Yes, it's not too far from Wicked Weed which is an absolute must stop if in Asheville.  WW also recently opened a second location "The Funkatorium" that is dedicated to their sour beers.  I think Asheville is up to over 20 craft breweries now, for a town of ~100k that is amazing.

Yes, it's not too far from Wicked Weed which is an absolute must stop if in Asheville.  WW also recently opened a second location "The Funkatorium" that is dedicated to their sour beers.  I think Asheville is up to over 20 craft breweries now, for a town of ~100k that is amazing.

I love Asheville. I spent a couple days there on a motorcycle wander a few years ago. I rode into town with no plan[0] and stumbled onto ABC. I asked the bartender if he knew of any cheap hotels or campgrounds, and he pointed me to a hotel right on the main strip for $70/night. The next two days and nights were: wake up, ride all day, and drink great beer at night. Man, now I want to go back.

[0] I didn't plan anything on that 7-day trip, just ride until I get tired and find a place to set up my tent or a room. It was *awesome*.

http://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/beer/article/beer-drinking-kids

My wife just posted this on my Facebook thingy, Other than the travel aspect, this is very much MrsPie and I's style when it comes to beer and baby. I'd never take RosePie to some place like the Continental (RIP) or Coles, but in the afternoon or early evening for food I see no issue. Also, Asheville Brewing is mentioned as being particularly kid-friendly.

We've been jokingly doing "Wes' Virtual Baby Pub Crawl" for a few months now. Wes and I once walked into a very divey-towny bar and saw a baby to which he said, "Who brings a baby to a bar?" We post pictures of RosePie at finer bars on a regular basis with that caption. We take Rose on pub crawls because she can't pub walk yet.

Divey bar in question, Toots, the home of Bluegrass: http://www.yelp.com/biz/toots-bar-hollywood

My wife just posted this on my Facebook thingy, Other than the travel aspect, this is very much MrsPie and I's style when it comes to beer and baby. I'd never take RosePie to some place like the Continental (RIP) or Coles, but in the afternoon or early evening for food I see no issue. Also, Asheville Brewing is mentioned as being particularly kid-friendly.

We've been jokingly doing "Wes' Virtual Baby Pub Crawl" for a few months now. Wes and I once walked into a very divey-towny bar and saw a baby to which he said, "Who brings a baby to a bar?" We post pictures of RosePie at finer bars on a regular basis with that caption. We take Rose on pub crawls because she can't pub walk yet.

Divey bar in question, Toots, the home of Bluegrass: http://www.yelp.com/biz/toots-bar-hollywood

We always vacationed as a family.  And we do alot of alcohol themed vacations.  Think wine tours, visiting every micro brewery we can find. That sort of thing.  We always took our son.  Most micro breweries recognize that kids will be along.  At the age of 6 my son became a connoisseur of root beer thanks to all the root beers, creme sodas, etc available at most micro breweries.  And, along the way, he learned how to behave in a bar.

He's a helluva pool player now.  First time he walks into a bar as a 21 yr old he is going to surprise some of the regulars at the tables.

I bring my kids to breweries all the time, most of the ones near us have tasting rooms that aren't only kid friendly, but also dog friendly.  That immaculate Sierra Nevada beer garden I mentioned up thread?  Yep you can bring your dog to hang with the family.

We had an adult weekend in Asheville this time, but in the past we have taken our kids.  You mentioned that you went to the downtown Asheville Brewing location, well they have another location that has a full size movie theater, with homemade pizza and of course beer!  It looks like they are showing the whole Harry Potter series and Tomorrowland coming up, so definitely kid friendly.

https://www.ashevillebrewing.com/movies.html

My condolences.

Swill.. SN regularly used as reference beer for style guidelines and you call it swill.  There's personal taste for you.  However, generally, not regarded as swill.

We always vacationed as a family.  And we do alot of alcohol themed vacations.  Think wine tours, visiting every micro brewery we can find. That sort of thing.  We always took our son.  Most micro breweries recognize that kids will be along.  At the age of 6 my son became a connoisseur of root beer thanks to all the root beers, creme sodas, etc available at most micro breweries.  And, along the way, he learned how to behave in a bar.

He's a helluva pool player now.  First time he walks into a bar as a 21 yr old he is going to surprise some of the regulars at the tables.

Same with my kids on the root beer.  They love always hitting up the local favorite.

Was in Cooperstown all last week for baseball (will be there again in a week for Belgium Comes to Cooperstown).  Stopped at Council Rock Brewpub.  Their beer was fantastic up and down the lineup.  I only dinged their Flanders Brown because it wasn't sour enough for me.  It was good, but I like SOUR.

Southern Tier doesn't get me excited... nothing about their beer lineup says "OH BOY" to me.  It's fairly mediocre beer. 

Wow. Of course beer appreciation is very subjective, but the calling out of Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Southern Tier as of late in here is a head scratcher.  The thousands of reviewers on places like Ratebeer.com and beeradvocate definitely are not in agreement, those breweries all produce some world class beers.

Swill.. SN regularly used as reference beer for style guidelines and you call it swill.  There's personal taste for you.  However, generally, not regarded as swill.

Same with my kids on the root beer.  They love always hitting up the local favorite.

Was in Cooperstown all last week for baseball (will be there again in a week for Belgium Comes to Cooperstown).  Stopped at Council Rock Brewpub.  Their beer was fantastic up and down the lineup.  I only dinged their Flanders Brown because it wasn't sour enough for me.  It was good, but I like SOUR.

Southern Tier doesn't get me excited... nothing about their beer lineup says "OH BOY" to me.  It's fairly mediocre beer. 

Wow. Of course beer appreciation is very subjective, but the calling out of Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Southern Tier as of late in here is a head scratcher.  The thousands of reviewers on places like Ratebeer.com and beeradvocate definitely are not in agreement, those breweries all produce some world class beers.

I won't go so far as to call Southern Tier mediocre.  At one time I would have said they are ahead of the curve, and standing out.  But I think their selections have kind of gone stale.  Hop Sun and Live! are two of my go to beers, so it's not their quality I am questioning as much as it is the depth of their product lineup.  They just aren't as interesting a brand as they used to be.

I won't go so far as to call Southern Tier mediocre.  At one time I would have said they are ahead of the curve, and standing out.  But I think their selections have kind of gone stale.  Hop Sun and Live! are two of my go to beers, so it's not their quality I am questioning as much as it is the depth of their product lineup.  They just aren't as interesting a brand as they used to be.

For their standard beers I tend to agree, where Southern Tier stands out in my opinion is with their bigger styles like the 2X series, Unearthly IPA etc.  Of course those are beers I wouldn't drink very often even if they were readily available to me here in NC, but they are definitely elite IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.