The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

The place I had the Stone IPA is easily in the top 5 of restaurants I have ever dined in (food wise), which is saying a lot. There are at least three places I know of here with CIA trained chefs.

Anyway, the unfiltered wheat beer turned out to be...wait for it...Adirondack. I would recommend that to anyone looking for something different.

This is a neat idea, and from the sounds of it is gaining some traction:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/08/24/214582851/wine-has-sommeliers-now-beer-has-cicerones?sc=17&f=1001

If you've been to a fancy restaurant, you've probably seen a sommelier — those wine experts who make sure you get the best possible match for your meal. But what if you don't want a chardonnay or pinot? What if you want a nice cold beer?

A new program is working to bring this same level of knowledge to the world of malt and hops by turning out batches of certified beer experts known as Cicerones.

This is a neat idea, and from the sounds of it is gaining some traction:

http://www.npr.org/b...es?sc=17&f=1001

Ray Daniels the man behind cicerone, is at the NHC every year and I have met him a few times. I love the idea of the cicerone program. There is nothing more annoying than going to a beer-centric bar or restaurant and having your server be without a clue about beer beyond dark vs. light or hoppy vs. not.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I know people who've attained various levels of certification in the program as well. I think it's an interesting idea but I'm not sure just how much value it adds. It might be valuable in a bottle only situation but most beer centric locales are going to be featuring kegged beer. Kegged beer can easily be sampled from the tap so it's not overly difficult for a place to give you a 2 oz sample to see how you like it. In the wine world this is different.

Having knowledgeable people is a good thing but here again there is a problem with brewers pushing style lines and turning over one-off products so often. A server may know what a Saison is supposed to be but who knows if Brewer XYZ made it that way. They might have pushed it beyond style to be Saison-like. So, yes, the server needs to sample each beer to be able to provide some insight or else they are going to be reading whatever a brewer provides as we marketing material for the beer.

Being intelligent on storing, cleaning, etc. that's another story. I've found that most places (that are good places) have that down pretty well at this point.

This is a neat idea, and from the sounds of it is gaining some traction: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/08/24/214582851/wine-has-sommeliers-now-beer-has-cicerones?sc=17&f=1001
Ray Daniels the man behind cicerone, is at the NHC every year and I have met him a few times. I love the idea of the cicerone program. There is nothing more annoying than going to a beer-centric bar or restaurant and having your server be without a clue about beer beyond dark vs. light or hoppy vs. not.

I love me some craft beer, but I am decidedly ambivalent about the full-blown winification of matters brew.

Among other reasons, there's this tidbit I read a while back:

Wine tasters will mention all sorts of things they can taste in a fine wine as if they were a human spectrograph with the ability to sense the molecular makeup of their beverage. Research shows, however, this perception can be hijacked, fooled, and might just be completely wrong.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/you-are-not-so-smart-why-we-cant-tell-good-wine-from-bad/247240/

In addition to which, I have an acknowledged (although well-managed) desire to punch people in the neck when they start with high falutin wine-tasting talk. (I'm not proud of this fact -- but there it is, just the same.)

Wine tasters will mention all sorts of things they can taste in a fine wine as if they were a human spectrograph with the ability to sense the molecular makeup of their beverage. Research shows, however, this perception can be hijacked, fooled, and might just be completely wrong.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/you-are-not-so-smart-why-we-cant-tell-good-wine-from-bad/247240/

In addition to which, I have an acknowledged (although well-managed) desire to punch people in the neck when they start with high falutin wine-tasting talk. (I'm not proud of this fact -- but there it is, just the same.)

I'm with you on this one. Beer (and wine for that matter), break down into three categories: beer I like, beer I don't like, and beer I haven't had before. Maybe it's just laziness on my part, but reading someone's description has no link to the part of my brain that records tastes. If you're sitting with someone, I find that offering that person some is far more efficient than trying to describe it. What helps is my personality tends to like variety over perfection. I've run into very few beers I couldn't stand to drink, so even if a beer isn't perfect it's enjoyable. So if you order something, odds are I'll at least enjoy the process of drinking it, even if I wouldn't order it again.

I agree

I love me some craft beer, but I am decidedly ambivalent about the full-blown winification of matters brew.

Agreed. I'm not looking for anyone to be able to tell me SRM, IBU's, cohumulone content, and esters present in any given beer. But with a basic cicerone certification, or "Certified Beer Server", your server can at least have the very basic knowledge covered. I wouldn't be looking for this from servers at Applebees, but at the tap room by my house that has over 100 beers on it's menu I would.

The Certified Beer Server requires competent knowledge of beer storage and service issues as well as modest knowledge of beer styles and culture and basic familiarity with beer tasting and flavors and basic knowledge about brewing process and ingredients. Knowledge of the Cicerone Certification Program's levels and titles is also required.

Oh he is. You should see his vinyl collection.

I bet he wears skinny jeans.

Among other reasons, there's this tidbit I read a while back:

Nailed it.

All I know is that Octoberfest beers are starting to show up on the shelves which starts the great beer drinking season, which magically coincides with the start of hockey season. Fall and winter brews are always my favorites.

Sam Adams Octoberfest was already out when I was in Chicago two weeks ago. That's actually a pretty good one. I'm very disappointed in New Belgium's Fall release...a friggin pumpkin beer. The last two fall releases were Hoptober and Red Hoptober, two absolutely fantastic beers, so why the shift to do the gimmicky pumpkin beer like everyone else? Very un-New Belgium like and very disappointing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.