The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Hi, all. I'm an infrequent poster but enjoy catching up with all of the entertaining posts on this site.

I just got a hold of two new beers that I will try tonight. My son, who is much more of a craft beer aficionado than me, is very jealous.

The first is called Heady Topper, brewed by the Alchemist in VT. It's a double IPA, and is supposed to be outstanding. You can only get it at the brewery, and lucky for me, I have a friend who just brought some back. I have 2 cans, and the label says to drink it out of the can.

The second is from Narragansett and called Black Imperial Steam ale. My son read a good review about it, but he lives in Orchard Park and can't get it. It has not yet come to NH, where I live, but I found it at a store in Salem, MA and picked up a big bottle (reconnasaince for my son's sake!). Heady Topper is 8% apv and the Steam ale is 9%, so if I drink them all, I won't be reporting back to anyone tonight!

Cheers!

Hi, all. I'm an infrequent poster but enjoy catching up with all of the entertaining posts on this site.

I just got a hold of two new beers that I will try tonight. My son, who is much more of a craft beer aficionado than me, is very jealous.

The first is called Heady Topper, brewed by the Alchemist in VT. It's a double IPA, and is supposed to be outstanding. You can only get it at the brewery, and lucky for me, I have a friend who just brought some back. I have 2 cans, and the label says to drink it out of the can.

The second is from Narragansett and called Black Imperial Steam ale. My son read a good review about it, but he lives in Orchard Park and can't get it. It has not yet come to NH, where I live, but I found it at a store in Salem, MA and picked up a big bottle (reconnasaince for my son's sake!). Heady Topper is 8% apv and the Steam ale is 9%, so if I drink them all, I won't be reporting back to anyone tonight!

Cheers!

Look up a few posts from yours and you'll find my opinion on the Heady Topper. You are a lucky man, haha.

Indeed, Heady Topper is fantastic. Over time, and because I make my own beer, I've stopped going as nuts as some people will over a beer. It's also in my nature to just not get overhyped... still. Heady Topper is close to that. There are some others for me as well.

Funny timing with this thread; we had dinner tonight at a local place called the Black Gryphon (http://www.blackgryphon84.com/id7.html), and they had Heady Topper on draft and the bf had The Bruery Saison De Lente. Impressive beer selection at this place if anyone finds themself in the Hershey/Lancaster/Elizabethtown area.

Funny timing with this thread; we had dinner tonight at a local place called the Black Gryphon (http://www.blackgryphon84.com/id7.html), and they had Heady Topper on draft and the bf had The Bruery Saison De Lente. Impressive beer selection at this place if anyone finds themself in the Hershey/Lancaster/Elizabethtown area.

And, starred in my "Places to Try" list. Thanks!

I haven't been to this place before, but I've heard good things about it:

http://www.bubesbrewery.com/

It's in Mt. Joy, so only an exit or three further down the road.

And, starred in my "Places to Try" list. Thanks!

I haven't been to this place before, but I've heard good things about it:

http://www.bubesbrewery.com/

It's in Mt. Joy, so only an exit or three further down the road.

I've been there years ago, but ate at the Catacombs instead of the Brewery (it's really three restaurants: Bube's, Catacombs, and Alois). My friend worked as a cocktail waitress at Bube's and loved it there. The themed dinner parties are apparently a great time!

Nice!

I'm in Chicago for a wedding, tried some Daisy Cutter APA from Half Acre Brewing. Pretty good beer, a little unbalanced towards the hops but that's how I like it.

Start the hunt for some Three Floyds.. it's there. It's worth it

Breckinridge Brewery small 471 batch double hopped IPA.

Pleasant. 9.2% alcohol and I don't taste any of it.

I remember the first time I had that. I didn't know the abv at the time.. after two pints and halfway into the third I looked it up... no one around me could believe 9.2%... we were believers about an hour after that.

Okay gotta report back on Sweetwater in Atlanta. Had 4 of their beers. Festive Ale which was crisp and good, Motor Boat which was hoppier but still good, had a little bit of a bitter aftertaste. I had the IPA which I did not like but I am not a big IPA fan, it was really strong. and had Blue which was an ale with a hint of blueberry, actually was quite good. All and all it was a lot of fun and I recommend anyone going to Atlanta to take a trip to Sweetwater, they actually charge you 10bucks for the glass and then the beer is free so get a souvenir glass and some good beer.

Okay gotta report back on Sweetwater in Atlanta. Had 4 of their beers. Festive Ale which was crisp and good, Motor Boat which was hoppier but still good, had a little bit of a bitter aftertaste. I had the IPA which I did not like but I am not a big IPA fan, it was really strong. and had Blue which was an ale with a hint of blueberry, actually was quite good. All and all it was a lot of fun and I recommend anyone going to Atlanta to take a trip to Sweetwater, they actually charge you 10bucks for the glass and then the beer is free so get a souvenir glass and some good beer.

Yea.. I forgot about those twists. Georgia has some goofy law that restricts breweries from selling beer on premises. Terrapin does a similar thing with the glassware.

I'm assuming by the IPA you meant 420? I like that beer, but as you said, you are not an IPA fan. I've had a few others but it's been awhile so I tend to forget them now.

Yea.. I forgot about those twists. Georgia has some goofy law that restricts breweries from selling beer on premises. Terrapin does a similar thing with the glassware.

I'm assuming by the IPA you meant 420? I like that beer, but as you said, you are not an IPA fan. I've had a few others but it's been awhile so I tend to forget them now.

Yea I have probably about 20 terrapin glasses. I like the Maggies Peach Ale they had this summer twas good. Also they had Hopssecution infused with Rosemary this summer which was fairly good.

Actually 420 is their APA, and the best beer in their lineup by far in my opinion. I forget what their IPA is called, but it's not one of my favorites.

Actually 420 is their APA, and the best beer in their lineup by far in my opinion. I forget what their IPA is called, but it's not one of my favorites.

Ahh hell.. thanks. Just looked it up.. it appears to be Sweetwater IPA (wow). 97 at Ratebeer and 90 at BeerAdvocate. I'm not sure if I've had that one.

Ahh hell.. thanks. Just looked it up.. it appears to be Sweetwater IPA (wow). 97 at Ratebeer and 90 at BeerAdvocate. I'm not sure if I've had that one.

I'm surprised that the IPA rated so high. I've only had it a couple of times, both from a bottle, and I thought it suffered from some hop astringency. Maybe I'll try seek it out on draft sometime.

I was able to find some Three Floyds beer down in Wrigleyville last weekend. The bar was packed and loud so I wasn't able to get the name from the bartender, but it tasted like a pils. Good stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.