The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Not a big fan of IPA's it is just my personal taste.

Just had some southern tier 2x Stout. It is pretty good but I am more of a fan of Terrapin Moo Hoo as far as chocolate stouts go.

Also Terrapin, Maggie's farmhouse peach ale... delicious summer beer with just the right amount of peach.

• 1 month later...

I can't believe the beer thread keeps getting buried during such a lame off-season!

I walked into Beers of the World yesterday and before me stood a display of Shiner Bock and Lone Star. I can't even describe how excited I was to finally have a Shiner Bock again. Best thing Texas ever made.

I can't believe the beer thread keeps getting buried during such a lame off-season!

I walked into Beers of the World yesterday and before me stood a display of Shiner Bock and Lone Star. I can't even describe how excited I was to finally have a Shiner Bock again. Best thing Texas ever made.

Back in the early to mid '90s in Austin, Shiner Bock and Rolling Rock were the hipsters favs. Every time I drank that sh*t, my head would pound for days.

I had a Shiner Bock a few weeks ago at The Full Throttle Saloon with Fajita Mike.

Tried Founders' 'Old Curmudgeon' and Local Option's 'Blood ov the Kings' last night at Coles. 'Blood' was the wheatiest beer I've ever seen; it was almost fully opaque, light barely passed through despite it being a lighter color. Pretty tasty too. Old Curmudgeon I only stole a taste from my wife, but wow, alot going on there. That'll be a better beer for cold winter nights than hot summer ones.

Tried Founders' 'Old Curmudgeon' and Local Option's 'Blood ov the Kings' last night at Coles. 'Blood' was the wheatiest beer I've ever seen; it was almost fully opaque, light barely passed through despite it being a lighter color. Pretty tasty too. Old Curmudgeon I only stole a taste from my wife, but wow, alot going on there. That'll be a better beer for cold winter nights than hot summer ones.

hehe, you said wife.

Indeed, I happened upon it a little over a week ago. I was surprised. I would have imagined there was more fanfare for the beer, even if it is mediocre overall.

I don't stop drinking.. I guess I just stop posting in this thread. Good to see it back!

I like the CB's Ales for ALS release. It has a proprietary hop blend put together by a hop farm in Washington. The purpose of the beers is to raise money for ALS. There are breweries all over the US doing it.

Indeed, I happened upon it a little over a week ago. I was surprised. I would have imagined there was more fanfare for the beer, even if it is mediocre overall.

I don't stop drinking.. I guess I just stop posting in this thread. Good to see it back!

I like the CB's Ales for ALS release. It has a proprietary hop blend put together by a hop farm in Washington. The purpose of the beers is to raise money for ALS. There are breweries all over the US doing it.

I was out in Colorado a few weeks ago and went on the New Belgium Tour. Their ALS beer was a saison, it was pretty damn good. My favorite on that tour was from the Lips of Faith series, a sour brown ale. It was awesome.

it's pretty high on ratebeer.com

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/new-belgium-la-folie/10513/

I know it was already talked about in this thread, but man am I ever addicted to Southern Tier Live. Seriously love this stuff.

Me too. Can't keep it in the house.

Wifey and I got a "Beer of the Month" club thing as a wedding present, and the first set showed up yesterday. 12 bottles, 2 breweries, 2 styles from each. The odd thing is this month one of the brewers is Lancaster Brewing, which is 25 miles down the road.

I know it was already talked about in this thread, but man am I ever addicted to Southern Tier Live. Seriously love this stuff.

I finally found some of that this weekend and picked up a sixer. I had one and the jury is still out, there seemed a bit too much lemon flavor for my taste. My palate may have been skewed from the IPA I had before it so I will reserve final judgment until I complete the sixer.

I finally found some of that this weekend and picked up a sixer. I had one and the jury is still out, there seemed a bit too much lemon flavor for my taste. My palate may have been skewed from the IPA I had before it so I will reserve final judgment until I complete the sixer.

Best drunk very fresh. Don't wait for your second tasting. It is a beer that degrades quickly. Still good weeks after, but different.

Best drunk very fresh. Don't wait for your second tasting. It is a beer that degrades quickly. Still good weeks after, but different.

Good point. I'm assuming the bottles are dated, I'll have to check. Either way it's a good excuse for me to down a few beers on the porch tonight.

Edit: yep, I don't like it. Born on date of 2/26/13, not ideal, but it should be still ok given its a bottle conditioned beer. The one i just poured is nearly undrinkable (I'm detecting a fair amount of diacetyl) so I can't be drinking the same quality stuff that the rest of you are. It could also be that the beer wasn't shipped and/or stored properly on its journey to NC. I'll seek out a fresher batch when I'm in town this weekend because I'm usually a big fan of Southern Tier beers.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Out at my cave and I y just fired up the grill with some Jason Isbell on the speakers since I couldn't make it to Buffalo early to catch him in concert tonight...Anyway I poured myself a new beer as I'm waiting for the charcoal to get going. Great Divide Rumble, its an oak barrel aged IPA. This is one fantastic beer, on first sip it strikes as a big, sticky IPA. As it warms some if the oak characteristics are prevalent, as vanilla notes intermingle with the resinous hop flavor. I'm pretty sure you can pick up Great Divide beers in WNY. Highly recommend.

Out at my cave and I y just fired up the grill with some Jason Isbell on the speakers since I couldn't make it to Buffalo early to catch him in concert tonight...Anyway I poured myself a new beer as I'm waiting for the charcoal to get going. Great Divide Rumble, its an oak barrel aged IPA. This is one fantastic beer, on first sip it strikes as a big, sticky IPA. As it warms some if the oak characteristics are prevalent, as vanilla notes intermingle with the resinous hop flavor. I'm pretty sure you can pick up Great Divide beers in WNY. Highly recommend.

Great Divide is available at Wegmans and is worth the money.

Great Divide is available at Wegmans and is worth the money.

Rumble might be harder to come by at Wegmans but it is a fantastic beer. I'm a huge Great Divide fan over all. Their rice beer is an easy drinker.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.