The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Thing is.. a glass can have a line. But if the bottom of the glass is .25 inches thicker than normal you still get less beer. :)

True, but in England (which I think we're talking about), it's illegal to have the stamp and line on a piece of glassware that isn't the right measure. I'm guessing they have an undercover testing group that check up, much like we have people that go measure how much gas is a gallon here.

True, but in England (which I think we're talking about), it's illegal to have the stamp and line on a piece of glassware that isn't the right measure. I'm guessing they have an undercover testing group that check up, much like we have people that go measure how much gas is a gallon here.

I think this is right. Now there's a gig to have: Be the guy whose job it is to verify that the glassware in pubs is on the up and up.

That place on the corner by the parking lot. Lagerhaus? I know because I took the pint glass home and it only holds a 12oz beer.

I've been in there a few times. Do they definitely say they serve "pints" or do they say "draft beer"? I'm not sure.

And is it a standard shaker glass you're talking about? It'd be pretty weird to have one of those only hold 12 oz. Standard shakers (which are sh!te for most beer) hold 16 oz.; as weave noted, though, you'll end up with 13-14 oz. if you've got a head on the beer in a shaker glass.

I've been in there a few times. Do they definitely say they serve "pints" or do they say "draft beer"? I'm not sure.

And is it a standard shaker glass you're talking about? It'd be pretty weird to have one of those only hold 12 oz. Standard shakers (which are sh!te for most beer) hold 16 oz.; as weave noted, though, you'll end up with 13-14 oz. if you've got a head on the beer in a shaker glass.

When I was there (two yrs ago) the sign said pints. anywho I really don't care.

I stopped by the craft beer store and picked up a bottle of this to try....

http://rogue.com/store/products/The-Beard-Beer.html

t's here! Our latest brew Dedicated to Beards, Beard Beer is brewed with a yeast created from Brewmaster John Maier's Beard. No Need to freak out, Brewers have used wild yeasts in beer making for centuries. John has had the same Old Growth Beard since 1983 and for over 15,000 brews, so it is no great suprise that a natural yeast ideal for brewing was discovered in his beard.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's Thursday and I should take this to another thread, but It really belongs here. I am really tired of this craft beer craze. There are just too many. And 11 dollars for a six pack,… we think rather highly of ourselves, don't we. Every time I visit my sister, my brother-in-law is saying try this one or that one is awesome. Personally, I think they all taste like dishwater.

An entire aisle of individual six packs and half an aisle of single bottles?! Really?! I don't have the time and money to find one I like, and I certainly don't have the time and money to put up with ones I don't like. Give me market research and focus groups. Let the statisticians weed out all the bad ones and just give me the ones they think I am most likely going to like.

:devil:

I know it's Thursday and I should take this to another thread, but It really belongs here. I am really tired of this craft beer craze. There are just too many. And 11 dollars for a six pack,… we think rather highly of ourselves, don't we. Every time I visit my sister, my brother-in-law is saying try this one or that one is awesome. Personally, I think they all taste like dishwater.

An entire aisle of individual six packs and half an aisle of single bottles?! Really?! I don't have the time and money to find one I like, and I certainly don't have the time and money to put up with ones I don't like. Give me market research and focus groups. Let the statisticians weed out all the bad ones and just give me the ones they think I am most likely going to like.

There are a lot of bad craft beers out there. But I'm not complaining. I'll just buy the ones I want to and move on. :beer:

Tried a cherry beer from Wagner winery. It was delicious. You can only get it in a growler (they have 3 sizes). My girlfriends grandma went and got some for all of us to try. Best grandma ever.

We stopped at Wagner on a brew tour last September and I greatly enjoyed their selection. Their Sled Dog Doppelbock is a brew I've had before, but their others were great as well.

I stopped by the craft beer store and picked up a bottle of this to try....

http://rogue.com/sto...Beard-Beer.html

So...what does it taste like?

There are a lot of bad craft beers out there. But I'm not complaining. I'll just buy the ones I want to and move on. :beer:

We stopped at Wagner on a brew tour last September and I greatly enjoyed their selection. Their Sled Dog Doppelbock is a brew I've had before, but their others were great as well.

So...what does it taste like?

Dishwater.

Since my job change I have become rather....... price conscious. $11/sixer is not what I am wanting to pay for beer right now. Been alot of Genny Cream Ale in my household lately. Granted, that's probably not one that would have been weeded out by your focus groups. :P

I've now learned that I must really like dishwater. Thanks for testing that out and letting me know!

Here you go. You can find out everything you'd possibly like to know about this horrible plethora of craft beer choices at these two sites. A little time invested, but no money wasted. People forget we aren't that far removed from having Bud/Miller/Coors and their respective light versions making up the majority of what we could chose from. I personally think there is a craft beer bubble about to burst, but we shouldn't be complaining about these extra choices.

http://www.ratebeer.com/

http://beeradvocate.com/

Here you go. You can find out everything you'd possibly like to know about this horrible plethora of craft beer choices at these two sites. A little time invested, but no money wasted. People forget we aren't that far removed from having Bud/Miller/Coors and their respective light versions making up the majority of what we could chose from. I personally think there is a craft beer bubble about to burst, but we shouldn't be complaining about these extra choices.

http://www.ratebeer.com/

http://beeradvocate.com/

I'm amazed how strong the craft beer market is given the stagnant economy. I agree....I remember living in Florida 10-15 years ago and would be excited to get Molson or Moosehead there. For last Christmas my cousin got me a beer of the month club, and in 4 months with 16 different breweries represented, I had only tried 5 of them before. Most were at least decent and many, good.

I almost hit the goldmine one year. Our work group was in negotiations for a small brewery in PA that had been around for a while and was in debt. The deal didn't make sense, and they eventually went under, but we left the warehouse with a dozen free cases nonetheless, and for a moment in time.....I almost had a dream job!

I'm headed to Consumers tomorrow and need to stock up for Breeders cup weekend. I'm going to try a bunch of stuff I've never had. Will scout the thread for ideas.

Since my job change I have become rather....... price conscious. $11/sixer is not what I am wanting to pay for beer right now. Been alot of Genny Cream Ale in my household lately. Granted, that's probably not one that would have been weeded out by your focus groups. :P

Just make sure the focus group is from WNY. GCA doesn't make it down here that often. When it does, I'm always surprised by how sugary it is. My yeoman's beer is $20 30packs of Blue (w/ no deposit. Suck it NY). It is pretty sweet as well but nothing like Cream.

My biggest problem with the craft beer thing is that most of the beers are really hoppy. Too hoppy. I hate hoppy. If there were more that were about bringing out flavors in beer other than hops, I would probably be more into them. Maybe they are out there, I just don't know of them.

My biggest problem with the craft beer thing is that most of the beers are really hoppy. Too hoppy. I hate hoppy. If there were more that were about bringing out flavors in beer other than hops, I would probably be more into them. Maybe they are out there, I just don't know of them.

Most of the mediocre to middling brewers just throw hops at beer, because it's become a p-ennis thing, "my beer is hoppier than yours" and some of the consumers are eating it up. I'd guess it's like hot sauce/chili competitions. But, you can at least get to know your styles to help. Stouts, porter, amber, lager, pilsner, bock, belgian, and wheats, among others will be your friend. Anything with "pale ale", especially IPA steer clear.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.