The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Can I just say that while the Sabres have me thoroughly pissed off at them, this forum may keep me in the fold until I come out of the valley. Threads like this make hanging out in this forum mandatory: a consistently high quality internet experience. Thanks!

Long live the beer thread!

had some of the Stone "Enjoy By [insert date]" (9/13/13) courtesy the local Consumers having it on tap recently.

Talk about a blast of pleasant citrus on the nose. One of the 5 (3?) best IPA's I've ever had. The alcohol content was goodly (9.5, IIRC) and the body was substantial but not syrupy (a gripe I've developed about certain strong/double/imperial IPA's that I used to enjoy more).

So I've been on a month long pretty serious detox (I've had one beer), after June and July had me reeling from indulging a bit too heavily in the food and beer department. It's also pretty amazing what cutting out beer and eating sensibly has done in a short 4 weeks as I'm down 18 lbs... Anyway, I'm back off the wagon just for this weekend for the annual pub crawl on Bills home opener weekend. I'm looking forward to enjoying some great WNY craft beer to dull my senses during what looks to be yet another Bills- Pats debacle.

Edited by Claude_Verret

So I've been on a month long pretty serious detox (I've had one beer), after June and July had me reeling from indulging a bit too heavily in the food and beer department. It's also pretty amazing what cutting out beer and eating sensibly has done in a short 4 weeks as I'm down 18 lbs... Anyway, I'm back off the wagon just for this weekend for the annual pub crawl on Bills home opener weekend. I'm looking forward to enjoying some great WNY craft beer to dull my senses during what looks to be yet another Bills- Pats debacle.

I never did put much stock into beer and weight being linked, until last spring. I drank a *lot* of beer and liquor one party Sunday. Since there wasn't any beer left in the house, I didn't drink any and lo and behold, I lost around 10 lbs in 3 weeks (leading up to my wedding reception). I put those 10 lbs back on pretty quickly afterwards when I started drinking beer again.

For living in a dumpy little town in the middle of nowhere I've got a pretty good neighborhood bar. I just stopped in for a rare-for-me weekday beer. The owner told me tomorrow they are putting Hennepin and Sierra Nevada Ovila on tap. That is in addition to the already-on-tap Duchesse De Bourgonge. Three Belgian styled beers in one small town bar. And a shelf of over 25 bourbons. Gat dam II love this town.

Grabbed a six of Southern Tier Harvest "special ale" tonight. It says it's brewed with 4 varieties of hops and 2 types of malts. I couldn't tell you if that's true, but I like this beer. It's crisp with a nice hop finish. Some citrus notes right away and a pleasant aroma. This is a beer I could kill a six of without batting an eye. Rated at 6.7% so you know you're drinking beer. ST might be my favorite NY brewery for the time being.

Looking forward to what Buffalo's new horde of micro breweries will bring to the shelves.

Oh, Boo! That's the same day my friend is having his party. 4 taps, mostly his own brew, a BBQ truck, and he lets us race dirtbikes on his property.

lol your friend's party sounds like a better time! Except maybe the beer selection, but BBQ and dirtbikes sounds like a fair trade-off. ;)

This is an interesting idea -- anyone here tried it? (Paging weave to the beer thread.)

http://gizmodo.com/turn-your-favorite-beer-into-your-favorite-cocktail-1264419266

Do you want a beer, or do you want a cocktail? The answer is yes. You want both. Right now. Simultaneously. In a single glass.

Today we're going to show you how to turn your old favorite beer into your new favorite syrup, and how to use it in a cocktail.

lol your friend's party sounds like a better time! Except maybe the beer selection, but BBQ and dirtbikes sounds like a fair trade-off. ;)

Earle's beer is pretty good. On par with most microbrews you run in to. Last year he made the mistake of putting all the high-octane stuff on tap with predictable results.

Sounds like you could accomplish the same thing by just purchasing some liquid malt extract from your local homebrew store and combining it with a hop tea.

malt extract? that'd be a big hit with tigger, no doubt.

Milne+The+house+at+Pooh+Corner+II+36-37+i2.jpg

what you're proposing, though, sounds like it would be quite different from a porter reduction transformed into a syrup. a reduction made into a syrup would, i think, be quite different in consistency and taste than an extract.

i dunno. might be interesting to experiment.

another passing thought: once the porter is reduced, its alcohol content's likely gone or greatly diminished, yeah?

malt extract? that'd be a big hit with tigger, no doubt.

Milne+The+house+at+Pooh+Corner+II+36-37+i2.jpg

what you're proposing, though, sounds like it would be quite different from a porter reduction transformed into a syrup. a reduction made into a syrup would, i think, be quite different in consistency and taste than an extract.

i dunno. might be interesting to experiment.

another passing thought: once the porter is reduced, its alcohol content's likely gone or greatly diminished, yeah?

Most of the alcohol will be gone.

I would think that an extract w/ hop tea would get you close flavor-wise but wouldn't have whatever flavors fermentation brought to the party.

:lol:

And now I am contemplating what whiskey would work paired with a reduction of Sierra Nevada Tumbler.

Most of the alcohol will be gone.

I would think that an extract w/ hop tea would get you close flavor-wise but wouldn't have whatever flavors fermentation brought to the party.

And now I am contemplating what whiskey would work paired with a reduction of Sierra Nevada Tumbler.

The alcohol would be gone along with hop flavor and aroma, I also think many of esters and such produced by fermentation are volatiles that would be lost when boiling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.