The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Got rained out at the Jonny Lang show in Lockport tonight so I made the long drive back home to hit a friendly watering hole. The owner really went out of his comfort zone this time and picked up a few interesting beers. First time he's had a Belgian on tap, Duchesse De Bourgonge, a Flanders Red ale for starters. A wiff of almost vinegar on the nose. Big hit of sour cherries and cranberries but it also had some raisiny notes as well. More wine than a beer really. A little bit of that classic soured funky horse blanket character as well. What a deliciously complex beer. The wife hated it. When it comes to soured beers you either love them or hate them.

They've got Oscar Blues Mamma's Little yella pils on draft now along with Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA. Finest Kind is a seriously bitter beer. Tons of cohumulone. Just enough finishing hops to properly balance. I like my beers a little less aggressive in bitterness and more emphasis on the finish hops.

Between the hop bitterness of the IPA and the sour Flanders ale my tastebuds were wrecked. I guess missing Jonny Lang wasn't so bad.

Edited by weave

Got rained out at the Jonny Lang show in Lockport tonight so I made the long drive back home to hit a friendly watering hole. The owner really went out of his comfort zone this time and picked up a few interesting beers. First time he's had a Belgian on tap, Duchesse De Bourgonge, a Flanders Red ale for starters. A wiff of almost vinegar on the nose. Big hit of sour cherries and cranberries but it also had some raisiny notes as well. More wine than a beer really. A little bit of that classic soured funky horse blanket character as well. What a deliciously complex beer. The wife hated it. When it comes to soured beers you either love them or hate them.

They've got Oscar Blues Mamma's Little yella pils on draft now along with Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA. Finest Kind is a seriously bitter beer. Tons of cohumulone. Just enough finishing hops to properly balance. I like my beers a little less aggressive in bitterness and more emphasis on the finish hops.

Between the hop bitterness of the IPA and the sour Flanders ale my tastebuds were wrecked. I guess missing Jonny Lang wasn't so bad.

:lol: that's how I pick my beers too!

Went to Walgreens today because I needed something to solve my plugged ear and saw this high brow brew for $3.33 a six pack.

iDsm8TG.jpeg

It's contract brewed for Walgreens and for the price I'd describe it as "good for mowing the lawn". If you're like me you sometimes need some PBR or Genny to cleanse the palate from high end craft brews. This'll do okay.

Went to Walgreens today because I needed something to solve my plugged ear and saw this high brow brew for $3.33 a six pack.

iDsm8TG.jpeg

It's contract brewed for Walgreens and for the price I'd describe it as "good for mowing the lawn". If you're like me you sometimes need some PBR or Genny to cleanse the palate from high end craft brews. This'll do okay.

So, are you gonna replace the broken flat screen, or are you stuck watchin next season on the 24" CRT?

So, are you gonna replace the broken flat screen, or are you stuck watchin next season on the 24" CRT?

It's the CRT for now. Without HD box for cable there's no reason to have a nice tv. Plus with switching to second shift I won't be seeing much hockey anyhow. That's life. At least we've got three dollar beer. :lol:

Going out of your comfort zone and putting on Duchesse are not exactly the same thing. Going out of the comfort zone is playing wing when you are a center. By going to Duchesse it would be like that same center now playing nose tackle for an NFL team.

Great beer... wonder what he was charging for it.

Edited by LTS

Going out of your comfort zone and putting on Duchesse are not exactly the same thing. Going out of the comfort zone is playing wing when you are a center. By going to Duchesse it would be like that same center now playing nose tackle for an NFL team.

Great beer... wonder what he was charging for it.

Not enough. $5 for what I think was a 12oz pour. It was in proper glassware and I am assuming I have the volume correct. Frickin bargain.

Not enough. $5 for what I think was a 12oz pour. It was in proper glassware and I am assuming I have the volume correct. Frickin bargain.

That's a helluva deal. I would have been in trouble. Was in a snifter style glass then?

That's a helluva deal. I would have been in trouble. Was in a snifter style glass then?

A short, wide tulip style. Similar to the Ommegang Three Philosopheres glasses, but a little larger.

ETA- I can appreciate sour beers, but they aren't my favorites. One glass a visit is enough for me to get my fix.

Edited by weave

Had something different today. We made our way into Brockport this afternoon and had lunch at The Stoneyard, right along the Erie Canal on Main Street. I was scanning the taps and the bartender asked what I liked and before I could really respond he offered me a sample. Very cloudy, hazy, orange amber beer. Great citrus flavors. I assumed it was an IPA of some sort. He said it was a "blood orange pale ale". Hmm. I didn't really pick up blood orange per se but it had classic citrus-y hop characteristics. At least I assumed it was hops. I noticed the tap handle had Elysian Brewery on it. It was very, very tasty and refreshing. Plenty hop bitterness to make me assume it was an IPA. Got home and looked it up, and that is pretty much what it is, an IPA with blood orange in the ingredient list. I gotta say blood orange really works with an IPA. Similar effect that hops like Amarillo have, a heavy tangerine/citrus character. 7.25% so it's not a session beer. It did not have the mouthfeel of a 7.25% beer. I thought it was a more typical 5ish % beer. Hides the alcohol VERY well.

Maelstrom Blood Orange Ale, highly recommended.

Had the worst beer of my life today. Magic Hat Hicu. I want to fight the panty waist that came up with the stellar combo of cucumber and hibiscus for a BEER! It was like sucking on a rose petal but worse. Come on man!

Why would you even try that?

I was in Los Angeles last week and stopped in at The Bruery. What a great place.. and sampling their beers was awesome. We don't get enough of them here.

Or Xata was fabulous along with their Palm Humulus (Coconut IPA). Many other great beers too.

Love getting outside the distribution market to try new stuff. Wished I was out there longer for that purpose..

I was in Los Angeles last week and stopped in at The Bruery. What a great place.. and sampling their beers was awesome. We don't get enough of them here.

Or Xata was fabulous along with their Palm Humulus (Coconut IPA). Many other great beers too.

Love getting outside the distribution market to try new stuff. Wished I was out there longer for that purpose..

Coconut IPA... that actually sounds pretty good

Just heard there is a real probability of going to the Sweetwater Brewery in Atlanta Saturday... I am hoping.

Edited by LGR4GM

The owner of The Bruery gave a seminar at NHC in San Diego a few years back. I really enjoyed those beers.

Didn't realize you guys were up in the ADK this week. Taking a break before the madness begins again?

Basically, thought it may have made the madness worse in the long run, haha.

I forgot, my cousin from Vermont brought a 4 pack of Heady Topper, which currently tops the list at Beer Advocate. I'd say its worth the rating. Its not, to me at least, so much of a special beer. Its not wildly different from other IPA's I've had. Its just the perfect beer, insomuch as it perfectly defines what I think an IPA should be. Strong and hoppy without being overbearing, a nice fruity/floweryness, stings just a little going down. Fantastic.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.