All About Tim Connolly

IKnowPhysics

On the ice? I'm not being facetious -- just want to make sure we're not still talking about the post-game interviews.

If you meant on the ice, I'm not sure. I know many posters here are Vanek believers. I want to believe in him but I'm not there yet. I think his game is more limited than I'd like to see from the Sabres' "star" player, and the lasting impressions he leaves me with are (i) he fattens up his stats against the crappy teams, (ii) he shows flashes on the backcheck but not enough to make him as good of an all-ice player as he should be, (iii) most of his intensity seems to be displayed by him being PO'd at himself for not scoring -- and not directed at the opposition, where it should be, (iv) doesn't elevate his teammates and (v) doesn't deliver in crunch time.

Yes I mean on the ice. I agree 100% that his game is limited. But what I see is a guy that was going in front of the net to get the crap beat out of him to try and get the big goals. He wasn't successful but not for lack of effort or courage. He didn't get them because he was game limited, which is another subject matter entirely.

i) I think if you broke it down you;d find that all big scoring players fatten their stats against lesser opponents so I don't think TV should be vilified for it.

ii) I agree with this sentiment. He is not agressive enough, consistently enough on the back check. I don't think that makes him someone who wilted under the pressure of being "the guy". I think he's just mentally averse to the end of the ice we're defending. :P

iii) I don't think intensity or lack of it is his issue. But I think he doesn't wear it on his sleeve so we don't readily see it from him when it is there.

iv and v) relate to his overall lack of game and I agree, he is limited there. It isn't realyl his fault that the team tried to press him into a role he doesn't have the physical gifts to play. He is a supporting member that was asked to be the go-to guy. Pin that one on management for not identifying that.

If he's the Sabres' best player and putative captain, I want to see much, much more from him.

Best player doesn't equal captain. He can be the best player simply by being better than the others and still not have the game you want from him. It's a relative ranking. And you haven't seen me on the Vanek-for-Captain bandwagon because I agree that we need more than Vanek is capable of giving from our captain.

Lets talk about what TC brought to this team.

He was solid in both zones. He had the hands and shot to score but a lack of effort which he showed on multiple occasions really made him a whipping a boy. He never hustled even though everyone always speaks of his speed. No one in the locker room even if Miller just kinda did, seemed to be to impressed with his performance. TC best years in terms of effort seem to be contract years.

Now with all that said, he suffered multiple concussions, had a fan base that loathed him, and was constantly berated in the press. Can't blame him for not caring but if he had been smart he would have done what Roy did last offseason and shown up to play. 20 games of good/decent play does not make me regret TC leaving and I think that there is the potential for him to do well in Toronto but honestly i dont care as long as Leino plays better than TC, the sabres improved.

edit: thxs shrader and korab! :thumbsup:

Actually I would like to see him allow a few more goals, particularly against his friend Tim's new team, after all kindness goes a long way.... :lol:

( Ryan's comments were right on imo :))

In my book, Ryan Miller needs to stop defending Leafs players and spend a little more time defending the net. Publicly having Timmy's back doesn't win the Vezina.

I never held injuries, contract or draft status against Connolly. It was results or lack there of in his case.

To hear about him moping around ON THE ICE, is disconcerting to say the least.

Amen. That may have changed on the P-Kill this year, but still, too little and too late.

###### Connolly, ###### his giveaways, ###### his I don't wanna talk, ###### his "My Daddy know LQ#, ###### his "I give it away at the blueline", ###### his whinny as ######. Man up or retire. #My2cents

Impressive.

I totally agree. Not sure whats with the campaign by sportsbuff to convince everyone the Sabres should have hung onto TC instead of signing Leino, but I for one am happy about it. 10 years of unfullfilled potential and lazy/sloppy play is enough. He was excrutiatingly painful to watch most of last year. Good luck to him, but good riddance.

This.

Hope the best for him, but thank god he's finally gone.

###### Connolly, ###### his giveaways, ###### his I don't wanna talk, ###### his "My Daddy know LQ#, ###### his "I give it away at the blueline", ###### his whinny as ######. Man up or retire. #My2cents

You should speak at his funeral. Thats a touching eulogy.

He was solid in both zones. He had the hands and shot to score but a lack of effort which he showed on multiple occasions really made him a whipping a boy. He never hustled even though everyone always speaks of his speed. No one in the locker room even if Miller just kinda did, seemed to be to impressed with his performance. TC best years in terms of effort seem to be contract years.

Now with all that said, he suffered multiple concussions, had a fan base that loathed him, and was constantly berated in the press. Can't blame him for not caring but if he had been smart he would have done what Roy did last offseason and shown up to play. 20 games of good/decent play does not make me regret TC leaving and I think that there is the potential for him to do well in Toronto but honestly i dont care as long as Leino plays better than TC, the sabres improved.

edit: thxs shrader and korab! :thumbsup:

I just couldn't read anymore beyond the portion in bold text.

Are talking about what brought Connolly to the Leafs of the Sabres? If you meant the Sabres than you are way off. Connolly was a high pick and Regier was desperate to save some face in the Peca situation. That is why Tim Connolly was shoved done the fans throats for 12 years. Connolly should have been gone after the 2002-2003 season. At that point we as fans had endured Connolly for 325 games, 46 goals, 145 points and a -63. It was pure Regier arrogance that kept Connolly a Buffalo Sabres for the remaining 8 years.

Connolly had three modes over his Sabres Career. I will list them in order of frequency that they appeared, Injured, Invisible and "The Skill." Tim Connolly, Ryan Miller nor anyone else have no one to blame for how things worked here in Buffalo other than Tim Connolly himself. You are not going to fool most Buffalo sports fans with half efforts and flashes of brilliance. When a player with talent refuses to bring that to the field of play Buffalo sports fans are going to call you out on it. There was no piling on of Tim Connolly, it just seemed that way due to the frequency he just didn't play up to his talent and on most nights just didn't put out an honest effort.

In the end Connolly got just what he deserved from the Buffalo fans and media. If he wanted more he should have put out more on the ice. That may just be a good lesson for Miller to learn as well. A flash here or there isn't good enough.

Are talking about what brought Connolly to the Leafs of the Sabres? If you meant the Sabres than you are way off. Connolly was a high pick and Regier was desperate to save some face in the Peca situation. That is why Tim Connolly was shoved done the fans throats for 12 years. Connolly should have been gone after the 2002-2003 season. At that point we as fans had endured Connolly for 325 games, 46 goals, 145 points and a -63. It was pure Regier arrogance that kept Connolly a Buffalo Sabres for the remaining 8 years.

Connolly had three modes over his Sabres Career. I will list them in order of frequency that they appeared, Injured, Invisible and "The Skill." Tim Connolly, Ryan Miller nor anyone else have no one to blame for how things worked here in Buffalo other than Tim Connolly himself. You are not going to fool most Buffalo sports fans with half efforts and flashes of brilliance. When a player with talent refuses to bring that to the field of play Buffalo sports fans are going to call you out on it. There was no piling on of Tim Connolly, it just seemed that way due to the frequency he just didn't play up to his talent and on most nights just didn't put out an honest effort.

In the end Connolly got just what he deserved from the Buffalo fans and media. If he wanted more he should have put out more on the ice. That may just be a good lesson for Miller to learn as well. A flash here or there isn't good enough.

Comparing Connolly's 'flashes of skill' to Miller is seriously stupid. Miller has been outstanding for us and America in the Olympics last year. When people say he had a sub par season this year you do realise they mean he didn't steal most of our games? The guy has earnt the right to say what he likes, when he likes.

Connolly had the potential, and turned out better defensively that I think most thought he would, but he kept getting injured and offensively he just wasn't good enough. One this is for certain, he was NEVER welcome as a Sabre and unlike Pyatt he didn't always deserve it (not always, not most of the time, but sometimes he didn't).

TC never had great speed. Never.

However, he didn't need to slow down much with the puck on his stick. That was his advantage.

Hmmmm.....please make a list of 21 year olds with 325 games played - and tell me how long that list is.

Honest effort? How does one quantify such things? He played in all three zones.

I can tell you one thing, I know how Buffalo looked in game 7 without him.

Hmmmm.....please make a list of 21 year olds with 325 games played - and tell me how long that list is.

Honest effort? How does one quantify such things? He played in all three zones.

I wouldn't bother counting how many 21 year olds played 325 games because it has nothing to do with Tim Connolly. All that matters is how he played which left a lot to be desired.

Saying Tim Connolly "played in all three zones" is just false. It's not hard to "quantify" an honest effort. You simply need to notice Connolly on the ice. Most nights in his career he just wasn't noticeable. I'm not talking making the score sheet. I'm talking leaving a game or watching the post game and wondering if Connolly even dressed for the game. That is the Tim Connolly Legacy here in Buffalo.

Tim Connolly wasn't dressed for game 7. How unusual. <_<

Perhaps, but I do not agree with the cause-effect implication. Miller was the only Sabre who showed up for that game not already having mentally conceded defeat. I cannot see TC making a difference in that crucial respect.

As always, DeLuca is being far too hard on TC, who, although ultimately disappointing, was no worse than any other member of the alleged "top 6" in the playoffs last year or this year (with the possible exception of Vanek). The mistake, IMHO, was management's in relying on TC to (i) stay healthy and (ii) fill the role of #1 center.

TC was at his best when the pressure was off and he could be a complementary player that contributed a bit of everything -- both steak and sizzle -- but don't let yourself depend on it. It's not his fault that people have been willing to pay him too much. It's also not his fault that his body is not built to take the NHL pounding.

I wouldn't bother counting how many 21 year olds played 325 games because it has nothing to do with Tim Connolly. All that matters is how he played which left a lot to be desired.

Saying Tim Connolly "played in all three zones" is just false. It's not hard to "quantify" an honest effort. You simply need to notice Connolly on the ice. Most nights in his career he just wasn't noticeable. I'm not talking making the score sheet. I'm talking leaving a game or watching the post game and wondering if Connolly even dressed for the game. That is the Tim Connolly Legacy here in Buffalo.

Tim Connolly wasn't dressed for game 7. How unusual. <_<

True, that was alot of the critism levelled against him with good reason, he wasn't the player fans wanted/thought he should be. That, however, doesn't make him a bad player though, his an average NHLer (disappointing, but just really average).

This has been an interesting thread to push through. People lined up for/against pretty much the way they have all along. If you hated him, you still hate him. If you were sympathetic you wished him well, rebutted some of the hardliner opposition or projected the change of scenery/coach/system might do well for him.

My turn...

1. Right or wrong the legend of TC was sealed in my mind during that insane playoff game against Ottawa where he scored those goals to keep the Sabres alive and they ultimately won the game and series. Here was a guy demonstrating talent, timing and heart.

2. Then came the Ottawa answer. A concussion and a lost season. We spent a year on this board wondering/debating if he would be back.

3. Then came the head scratching new contract and the expectations of the coach/GM/fans and media.

4. My issue with TC's play was his seeming reluctance to shoot the puck. We all knew his ability was there as we had seen flashes of it over the years and yet when on the PP he was more comfortable being as assist man instead of a goal scorer.

5. Finally the injuries, at the worst times, seemed to pop up. Injuries up + production down + contract up + expectations down = See you at the Sabres Reunion

We have seen examples of players getting a new lease on their careers after getting out of Buffalo. I do not suspect this happens for TC though. In the end, the physical toll on his body and head (IMHO, without any proof whatsoever) is too great. Having the Toronto media on your case before you even touch the ice only repeats his Buffalo nightmare. Being the only big free agent splash sets him up for unrealistic fan, media and management expectations.

For TC, it has to be deja vu.

I'm glad Miller came to his defense. You see so little of that happen in sports.

This has been an interesting thread to push through. People lined up for/against pretty much the way they have all along. If you hated him, you still hate him. If you were sympathetic you wished him well, rebutted some of the hardliner opposition or projected the change of scenery/coach/system might do well for him.

My turn...

1. Right or wrong the legend of TC was sealed in my mind during that insane playoff game against Ottawa where he scored those goals to keep the Sabres alive and they ultimately won the game and series. Here was a guy demonstrating talent, timing and heart.

2. Then came the Ottawa answer. A concussion and a lost season. We spent a year on this board wondering/debating if he would be back.

3. Then came the head scratching new contract and the expectations of the coach/GM/fans and media.

4. My issue with TC's play was his seeming reluctance to shoot the puck. We all knew his ability was there as we had seen flashes of it over the years and yet when on the PP he was more comfortable being as assist man instead of a goal scorer.

5. Finally the injuries, at the worst times, seemed to pop up. Injuries up + production down + contract up + expectations down = See you at the Sabres Reunion

We have seen examples of players getting a new lease on their careers after getting out of Buffalo. I do not suspect this happens for TC though. In the end, the physical toll on his body and head (IMHO, without any proof whatsoever) is too great. Having the Toronto media on your case before you even touch the ice only repeats his Buffalo nightmare. Being the only big free agent splash sets him up for unrealistic fan, media and management expectations.

For TC, it has to be deja vu.

I'm glad Miller came to his defense. You see so little of that happen in sports.

Good post man, good points. Made me think. I do laugh that his gone to Toronto of all places for a new lease of life. Next he'll go to Edmonton to win a Stanley Cup.

Saying Tim Connolly "played in all three zones" is just false

I have really no inclination to prove anything to you. But please go zone by zone and show me how this is false?

I have really no inclination to prove anything to you. But please go zone by zone and show me how this is false?

Because you have nothing. Saying Connolly "played in all three zones" is like saying Briere "played in the defensive zone." We all watched Tim Connolly play, it wasn't until recently when he realized that he may have to show something to other teams if he wanted another payday did he decide to play in the defensive zone. Offensively he was a perimeter player best on the rush. One on one is where he excelled. He wasn't much of a fore-checker and had very little physicality to his game.

The Legend of Tim Connolly was spawned based on games he didn't play and it now appears his signing with the Leafs has accelerated it's growth. :doh:

Because you have nothing.

I don't have any emotional attachments to Connolly. I thought it was time for him to go.

Not recognizing that his PK, entries, and some competence in the offensive zone need to be replaced, and indeed had some value on the market is just being willfully ignorant.

That's the nicest way I can put it.

Archived