All About Tim Connolly

IKnowPhysics

Also here is a blog post i wrote up earlier today about Connolly... wasn't sure if i wanted to post here or not because I'm sure i'll get grilled for it... but it wouldn't be the first time =P

http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=637

I'm not a Connolly hater, but I think you're a little unfair on Sabres fans. But we watched a guy who lost a step and couldn't stay in the lineup health wise. And yes, he turned into an impressive penalty killer.

The problem is, he sealed his fate last year in the playoffs, turning in a wholly uninspired performance. Combine it with the lackluster start (and no, not everyone had a lackluster start, re: Roy, Stafford) and his dubious fashion show injury, I feel that (while it was/is at times over the top) he's earned most of the scorn he received. It's not all numbers either; it's the intangibles which (while his evolution into a defensive/PK center was good) was damning.

I hope he does well. Just not against us.

Lets see Connolly's last two playoffs a total of 3 points and a 29 game scoreless streak. Leino last two playoffs (totaling 30 games) 10 goals and 16 assists for 26 points. Yeah I will stick with Leino.

And THIS astute observation is all that really matters, my friends. Connolly was never the same player after the concussion. But, even worse, he was an absolute playoff no show. When it matters most, you don't even hear his name. (As far as I'm concerned, Roy may have similar playoff characteristics)

Agree with this opinion.... will admit to visiting site and lurking each day , enjoy much reading thoughts and opinions of the many fine folk who frequent site. Must admit first impulse when seeing news of this signing was " oh great, why in hell would they do this". But as poster says it really could go one of two ways he continue being the same tantalizing players with flashes of great talent who in end at best can be described as mediocre or he under different coaching and change of scenery blossoms. Can't see the latter but I suppose one never knows.

Good for all of you , nice to see some genuine optimism for a fan base wishing for a winner. ( I am speaking of Sabres... :) )

turning 71 this month scary, got to wonder at times if I will see the day of a winner in Buffalo, things at least certainly do appear much better...

nice to speak with you ...

Good to hear from you millbank!

One thing we know about the Sabre signee, he isn't 0 for what seems like forever when it comes to playoff goals.

But thats ok with the Leafs, I think they are 0 for a decade when it comes to making the playoffs so they don't even need to look at that stat!

Want to have some fun, go read the Leafs fans comments bellow the story on TSN.ca, they seem to think this is a great deal (mostly they think that its because they are going to get Stamkos, with their GM, the guy who blew up at Edmontons GM a few years ago for trying to sign one of his RFA players to an offer sheet). Connolly is expecting to be the set up guy on the first line for Kessel.

I may dislike Regier, and I still do, even with the moves that have been made to this point, (Leino isn't what the team needs at C and seems like an overpayment, Erhoff is not coming here with good reviews from his previous teams fans) but I would take Darcy over Burke anyday!

Best move by Regier this offseason, and I know it was probably really tough on him, but it was letting Connolly walk away

I didn't make this video, but it's a GREAT video. Even if you're the biggest TC hater on the board, you have to at LEAST appreciate the highlight reel goals he scored here in Buffalo... this is a great video and highlights his skillset when at the peek of his game.. i'm going to miss this man. This post goes out to Tim Connolly -- thank you for these moments. and good luck in Toronto.

PS: Seriously, pay attention at 1:10... is that not the SAME goal Giroux scored against us in the playoffs this year? :doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIauE5XrMsk

That video is precisely why Sabres fans are so hard on TC, which isn't necessarily his fault. We're painfully aware of his potential, but were provided only glimpses of his true talent. He's like a damn iceberg. Case in point, the length of the highlight video. 10 years of his highlights covered in just over 4 minutes. Below is 5 years of Crosby highlights ('05-09) which is 3 minutes longer. Maybe if Peter Schaefer hadn't laid him out, we'd be looking at our best center and tens of minutes of highlights. And that's probably the most frustrating thing.

But when TC shined, he shined. I used to shake my head when he'd carve up the defense. And the 7-6 game was one of my favorites of all time.

Also here is a blog post i wrote up earlier today about Connolly... wasn't sure if i wanted to post here or not because I'm sure i'll get grilled for it... but it wouldn't be the first time =P

http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=637

Nice write-up. I never understood the hate for Connolly. Sure, he didn't bang, but he's not a banger. And it's true, he didn't score as much as we would've liked, but he was a playmaker, and over the past couple of seasons really developed his defensive play.

Every player to wear a Sabres uniform since I was a kid (early 70's) has frustrated me at point or another, and Tim was no exception. But I think the problem is that a lot of Sabres fans pretend to be hockey fans, and they let their desire to be an expert get the better of them, and that creates seriously erroneous group think. A valid complaint was that he was out of the line up a lot, but it's not like that was his choice. I'm quite sure it bothered him more than it bothered fans.

I hope he does well in TO, he seems like he's one of the good guys.

Good call. This would also explain the hiring of Dudley. Visiting the troops in Afghanistan is a great thing, but very strange for him to have done so on July 1.

It was Canada Day. It's kind of a big deal.

I kinda have to laugh at a quote from Timmy about his new team. "This to me is the hockey version of playing for the Yankees."

Really??? The Maple Leafs are the New York Yankees of Hockey.

If they are talking about the money or the history I get it but in terms of how good they are, I think he should look more toward the Pittsburgh Pirates.

I kinda have to laugh at a quote from Timmy about his new team. "This to me is the hockey version of playing for the Yankees."

If they are talking about the money or the history I get it but in terms of how good they are, I think he should look more toward the Pittsburgh Pirates.

If the Leafs are the Yankees, then what are the Canadiens ?

I really do think that the point here is that the Sabres DO NOT care about regular-season stats...Connolly put-up some nice numbers at different times in his career, but come play-off time, he pretty much packs it in. The Sabres goal now is to win a cup, and there can be absolutely no argument that with TC as our number one centre (or #2), that was NEVER going to happen. Leino has proven to be a "clutch" playoff performer by his stats already posted the last two years, and by most people's definition, is just "coming into his own" as the saying goes. There is no doubt if we hadn't given Leino this contract, someone else would have. I am totally dumb-founded how TC gets a raise for what he did the last two years. He should have felt guilty to taking that much for how little the Sabres were given in return.

Sometimes you get better by subtraction, and that is the case here. I love all the moves Darcy has made, and know deep down he is going to trade for a centre. GO SABRES GO!!!

I get what he means comparing the Leafs to the Yankees when you compare the franchises, both are the top valued teams in their league, both have legions of fans all over their country, both are viewed as the "gods" of their respected sports by their fans, but thats probably where it all ends. A comparison of the teams themselves, the Leafs compare more to the Cubs if anything, lots of history, fans come out and fill the place good or bad, and both have very few fans alive from their last championship. The Yankees compare more to the Redwings in my opinion team wise, both are contendors every year, both are veteran heavy teams, etc.

Wow. I know I used to joke about how Tim Connolly doesn't care about winning, but he doesn't seem to even factor it into his analogies.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Burke in Toronto. TSN was talking yesterday how Burke wasn't even at the Leafs offices yesterday and wasn't part of the group that met with Richards and his agent. I wonder if there is a split between Burke and ownership.

Who cares?

Nice write-up. I never understood the hate for Connolly. Sure, he didn't bang, but he's not a banger. And it's true, he didn't score as much as we would've liked, but he was a playmaker, and over the past couple of seasons really developed his defensive play.

I'd love to be able to put my finger on it and tell you the exact reason, statistically or otherwise, but with Connolly it was more of a gut feeling. Watching the games, whenever there was a boneheaded play, it seemed like Connolly was never far away.

I'd love to be able to put my finger on it and tell you the exact reason, statistically or otherwise, but with Connolly it was more of a gut feeling. Watching the games, whenever there was a boneheaded play, it seemed like Connolly was never far away.

For me it was the lack of comitment, anyone close to the team will tell you he was the last one on and first one off during practice. While other centers would spend extra time on face offs he refused to take part. The enigma of it all was how hard he worked to rehab and how he dealt with all the injuries. Just a tough guy to figure out.

Though I was (mostly) joking in my last post, I think part of it comes down to an apparent lack of heart. It takes a certain amount of grit to come back from all the injuries he's had. But it's a lot of injuries that make peoples opinion drop and worry if he can be counted on to be healthy in the clutch, followed by a deeper issue that he has never come through in the clutch when it mattered.

I give him massive props for changing his game and becoming a solid forward, defensively, but he's lost a step and there are other problems with his game. And, with Max gone, Stafford and Roy playing like we've been waiting for them to and another bad playoff, he's the target for most of the fan's scorn. Him and Darcy. (And to a lesser extent Quinn and Golisano)

Good luck Tim. Hope you do well (but not well enough to hurt us) in Tonto.

I LOVED the team Burke had in Anaheim (yeah, I know he inherited a bunch of it). And I really like the philosphy for team building that he spoke of so much when TO hired him (2 kill you with skill lines, 2 hard to play against lines, 2 skil defenders, and 4 hard to play against defenders). But I gotta say, I can't even remotely consider him as a decent GM anymore. Until now I kept thinking, "he's got a long way to come up, it'll take time". But I think the statute of limitations is over. Especially if he's willing to pay that much for the Tin Man.

I LOVE Burke being the Loafs GM. I was not happy when they added Duds to his staff, but I am very pleased w/ Burke in TO.

That said, I fully expected somebody to pay Timmy $9MM over 2 years. I'm mildly surprised he's getting an extra $0.5MM but not terribly. And, though I may end up eating this comment later, I'm very glad that it's the Loafs that are paying him.

Archived