All About Tim Connolly

IKnowPhysics

I don't think his draft status in this town was ever an issue. He wasn't a Sabre draft pick. More at issue was his salary.

More than anything....he was snakebit by injury. Especially the concussions.

He didn't deserve a lot of it. Not scoring - he wasn't a goalscorer. Not trying - I never saw evidence of that.

His skills however did diminish somewhat. Especially the vision.

But don't fear. The town will find someone new to run out of town. As Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven "Deserve aint got nuthin' to do with it."

I remember midseason Gerbe got a bit of flak, that made me laugh. I'm not worried, we still have Pomiville and Hecht lol. I saw his draft pick as an issue merely because of the hype surrounding him. Still I'll be interested to see how he does well in a seriously unforgiving city, especially if he thought Buffalo was cruel.

I don't think his draft status in this town was ever an issue. He wasn't a Sabre draft pick. More at issue was his salary.

More than anything....he was snakebit by injury. Especially the concussions.

He didn't deserve a lot of it. Not scoring - he wasn't a goalscorer. Not trying - I never saw evidence of that.

His skills however did diminish somewhat. Especially the vision.

But don't fear. The town will find someone new to run out of town. As Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven "Deserve aint got nuthin' to do with it."

Good post, I agree. I never saw evidence of "not trying" or playing w/ no heart, especially this past season. The dude re-vamped his entire game to suit Lindy's game plan and play the role they needed him too than the role he probably wanted to play. As I said in one of my blogs or twitter posts, he quite literally sacrificed his body for the Sabres. And the injuries obv made things 100x worse. Even if what he said to Ray is true (about saying "how would you feel if the whole city hated you" or whatever), can you really blame the guy? I know this board is only a small sample size, but no matter where you look-- WGR callers, the comments on WGR/Sabres facebook statuses, twitter jokes, etc -- it's easy to tell that the majority of fans did dislike him.

And based on recent things around here, I bet it winds up being the buddy who just defended him.

I agree that the fans here will probably find a new whipping boy, and maybe eventually run him out of town. The one thing that keeps me from thinking it will be Miller is that Ryan seems to think everything is the media's fault, not the fans.. and maybe he's right in a sense, but IDK. It seems more likely that Miller continues his crusade against the media than ever blame the fans. Also I don't think there is enough anti-Miller sentiment around the city TO blame the fans... but you never know.

Good post, I agree. I never saw evidence of "not trying" or playing w/ no heart, especially this past season. The dude re-vamped his entire game to suit Lindy's game plan and play the role they needed him too than the role he probably wanted to play. As I said in one of my blogs or twitter posts, he quite literally sacrificed his body for the Sabres. And the injuries obv made things 100x worse. Even if what he said to Ray is true (about saying "how would you feel if the whole city hated you" or whatever), can you really blame the guy? I know this board is only a small sample size, but no matter where you look-- WGR callers, the comments on WGR/Sabres facebook statuses, twitter jokes, etc -- it's easy to tell that the majority of fans did dislike him.

I agree that the fans here will probably find a new whipping boy, and maybe eventually run him out of town. The one thing that keeps me from thinking it will be Miller is that Ryan seems to think everything is the media's fault, not the fans.. and maybe he's right in a sense, but IDK. It seems more likely that Miller continues his crusade against the media than ever blame the fans. Also I don't think there is enough anti-Miller sentiment around the city TO blame the fans... but you never know.

Crusade? With one small exception, I don't remember any row with the media. These guys generally keep it bland as white bread talking to the media.

Now Sullivan, that might be another matter. There might not be a guy who knows less with more to say.

It's not so much the anti-Miller sentiment as it is the "hey, this kid looked decent in 15 games, he's the next Hasek" mentality. The backup prospect goalie winds up being the most popular player in so many cities. But if it doesn't wind up being Miller, there will definitely be a whipping boy. There always is. I could see Boyes getting that treatment this year, but that would be very short term.

Crusade? With one small exception, I don't remember any row with the media. These guys generally keep it bland as white bread talking to the media.

Now Sullivan, that might be another matter. There might not be a guy who knows less with more to say.

Well let's not act like Pegula's little "you're either with us or against us" meeting with the local media didn't stem from Miller's run-in with Sullivan, and now we have Ryan calling the Toronto media "crap" for demeaning Connolly in their articles and essentially saying the same things Sabres fans have said about him for years. Maybe "crusade" was hyperbole, but if fans turn on Miller the way they did Connolly, is he going to blame the fans or is he going to blame the media for swaying the fans? I'm guessing the line gets a little blurred between fans and media as an athlete... it's easy to blame the media for starting certain anti-so&so ideas, but some fans share the same opinions long before a journalist puts a pen to paper. So what I'm saying is, if anti-Miller talk around town got as bad as the anti-Connolly talk, is Miller going to underperform or want out of Buffalo because the fans hate him, or is he going to shrug it off as media-driven BS? My bet would be he blames the media and is still able to play his game, unlike TC who absolutely KNEW the whole town hated him. (It's early, sorry if my thoughts are overlapping and this is confusing for people). This is why I don't think Miller will get "run out of town" the way that TC did.

One other thing-- Miller made these comments about the Toronto media NOW, but never said anything to defend TC when he was a Sabre. Do you think Miller speaking out was really just a way of speaking out against Buffalo fans as well? Like a subliminal message sort of deal. He's calling Toronto media crap for expressing the same ill will that 90% of Sabres fan felt for him, but obv you can't publicly defend a guy like that in the Buffalo media without risk of being looked down upon yourself. So he waits for TC to leave and just offers a little one off comment... SEEMINGLY to defend Connolly from TOR media, but really to kind of "set the record straight" in buffalo -- letting us fans know he worked hard and wanted to win and never had any locker room issues.

It's not so much the anti-Miller sentiment as it is the "hey, this kid looked decent in 15 games, he's the next Hasek" mentality. The backup prospect goalie winds up being the most popular player in so many cities. But if it doesn't wind up being Miller, there will definitely be a whipping boy. There always is. I could see Boyes getting that treatment this year, but that would be very short term.

The good news is Miller is tougher than TC. Brad Boyes once moved back to wing will play quite well this season IMO.

Well let's not act like Pegula's little "you're either with us or against us" meeting with the local media didn't stem from Miller's run-in with Sullivan, and now we have Ryan calling the Toronto media "crap" for demeaning Connolly in their articles and essentially saying the same things Sabres fans have said about him for years. Maybe "crusade" was hyperbole, but if fans turn on Miller the way they did Connolly, is he going to blame the fans or is he going to blame the media for swaying the fans? I'm guessing the line gets a little blurred between fans and media as an athlete... it's easy to blame the media for starting certain anti-so&so ideas, but some fans share the same opinions long before a journalist puts a pen to paper. So what I'm saying is, if anti-Miller talk around town got as bad as the anti-Connolly talk, is Miller going to underperform or want out of Buffalo because the fans hate him, or is he going to shrug it off as media-driven BS? My bet would be he blames the media and is still able to play his game, unlike TC who absolutely KNEW the whole town hated him. (It's early, sorry if my thoughts are overlapping and this is confusing for people). This is why I don't think Miller will get "run out of town" the way that TC did.

One other thing-- Miller made these comments about the Toronto media NOW, but never said anything to defend TC when he was a Sabre. Do you think Miller speaking out was really just a way of speaking out against Buffalo fans as well? Like a subliminal message sort of deal. He's calling Toronto media crap for expressing the same ill will that 90% of Sabres fan felt for him, but obv you can't publicly defend a guy like that in the Buffalo media without risk of being looked down upon yourself. So he waits for TC to leave and just offers a little one off comment... SEEMINGLY to defend Connolly from TOR media, but really to kind of "set the record straight" in buffalo -- letting us fans know he worked hard and wanted to win and never had any locker room issues.

Except for Sullivan, has anyone in the media with a byline written a scathing piece about Connolly that wasn't fairly balanced?

Toronto is the media capital of hockey world. These guys are friends. That's all.

I do remember a couple of articles where Miller was pretty blunt, their comment was that his earned a right to say what he likes about management, media or the team. Not quite a crusade, but his more outspoken than your average NHLer (as long as their name isn't Roenick)

When I boil it all down, it wasn't even the injuries. Connolly personified the decision to move on from Briere and Drury. Connolly was supposed to be one of the guys that made Briere and Drury replaceable. At least that is what the fans were told. So when he wasn't up to replacing the on ice performance, the intangibles, and the charisma, the fans let him have it. I know I'm guilty of it. I didn't make that decision consciously but when the team didn't perform and Connolly was one of the guys that was supposed to lead the team in performance I blamed him in part. And really, all of the guys that were supposed to make Briere and Drury expendable got hammered. None of them lived up. Ask most casual fans and they'll complain of underperformance by Vanek, Pominville, Hecht, and Connolly. Those were the heirs to the players that left that dark day in July. The difference is, Pommer manned up, Vanek manned up. Their performance didn't meet what was expected or needed but they didn't wilt. Connolly wilted like week old lettuce.

I'd feel bad but the dude got paid more than I'll ever see so I'm not gonna feel very bad at all. He's cried all the way to the bank.

When I boil it all down, it wasn't even the injuries. Connolly personified the decision to move on from Briere and Drury. Connolly was supposed to be one of the guys that made Briere and Drury replaceable. At least that is what the fans were told. So when he wasn't up to replacing the on ice performance, the intangibles, and the charisma, the fans let him have it. I know I'm guilty of it. I didn't make that decision consciously but when the team didn't perform and Connolly was one of the guys that was supposed to lead the team in performance I blamed him in part. And really, all of the guys that were supposed to make Briere and Drury expendable got hammered. None of them lived up. Ask most casual fans and they'll complain of underperformance by Vanek, Pominville, Hecht, and Connolly. Those were the heirs to the players that left that dark day in July. The difference is, Pommer manned up, Vanek manned up. Their performance didn't meet what was expected or needed but they didn't wilt. Connolly wilted like week old lettuce.

I'd feel bad but the dude got paid more than I'll ever see so I'm not gonna feel very bad at all. He's cried all the way to the bank.

Agree here. And even Roy and Hecht manned up as well. Hecht had two 20 goal seasons since Briere and Drury left and didn't have even one when those guys were here. Roy has been the scoring leader for this team. Connolly was the only one whose game never really elevated to the next level like we all hoped. I think the other thing that bothers me in particular was that we were all sold that Connolly would be the replacement for Briere in terms of scoring, assists, etc. That never came to fruition, not even close. Sure, he was better in the defensive zone than Briere, but that doesn't take a lot to be better than him. But, he never brought the character, leadership, and consistent scoring that we all thought he would. Again, I've never and will never blame him for the injuries as that's not his fault. But, the production and consistent play wasn't there, and that's what bothered me, too.

Agree here. And even Roy and Hecht manned up as well. Hecht had two 20 goal seasons since Briere and Drury left and didn't have even one when those guys were here. Roy has been the scoring leader for this team. Connolly was the only one whose game never really elevated to the next level like we all hoped. I think the other thing that bothers me in particular was that we were all sold that Connolly would be the replacement for Briere in terms of scoring, assists, etc. That never came to fruition, not even close. Sure, he was better in the defensive zone than Briere, but that doesn't take a lot to be better than him. But, he never brought the character, leadership, and consistent scoring that we all thought he would. Again, I've never and will never blame him for the injuries as that's not his fault. But, the production and consistent play wasn't there, and that's what bothered me, too.

I don't mean to start up the same old debate, but I don't get those who say his production wasn't there. I can buy the lack of leadership, not being great on faceoffs, etc. And I can get that people might be mad he didn't turn into the next Danny Briere (but that's their own fault imo. i'll admit I expected connolly to be better than he was but i NEVER envisioned him replacing briere or drury). Since the lockout, TC has played in 239 games and registered 195 points. Not bad at all considering this past season was almost a career LOW for TC given his time on the PK and diminished offensive role. But he consistently produced when healthy.

When did this "manning up" and "not wilting" occur?

I don't mean to start up the same old debate, but I don't get those who say his production wasn't there. I can buy the lack of leadership, not being great on faceoffs, etc. And I can get that people might be mad he didn't turn into the next Danny Briere (but that's their own fault imo. i'll admit I expected connolly to be better than he was but i NEVER envisioned him replacing briere or drury). Since the lockout, TC has played in 239 games and registered 195 points. Not bad at all considering this past season was almost a career LOW for TC given his time on the PK and diminished offensive role. But he consistently produced when healthy.

...except in the playoffs, when it really mattered.

When did this "manning up" and "not wilting" occur?

Pommer and Vanek never shied from the pressure. They stood and answered their critics and the media. I guess that is where i was going with it. As I mentioned in that post, they didn't meet the levels of performance that the team needed but they didn't back down, didn't run and hide, and didn't go in a corner and sulk. They got frustrated (Vanek especially) but they didn't back down. I give them credit for it.

Pominville isn't spunky, but he always talks to reporters and tries to convey the pulse of the team.

Vanek is a smart guy who can get a little philisophical.....he never hides, but I really think he could blossom into a true star on a different team. His history with Lindy is not one filled with outright trust. I know Vancouver kicked the tires on Vanek last year......it would be fun to see what he could do there and what the team could get in return for him. I don't want to say he is snakebit here, but his leadership role might have a lower ceiling because of Ruff.

Connolly just always came across as a freaking zombie in the middle of the appocalypse. It would be like listening to my 15yo stoner cousin try to explain off a D on his math test. Never took him seriously.

Except for Sullivan, has anyone in the media with a byline written a scathing piece about Connolly that wasn't fairly balanced?

Toronto is the media capital of hockey world. These guys are friends. That's all.

I can't speak for being fairly balanced or not since I don't remember the specifics, but Bucky always took plenty of jabs at Connolly over the years.

The bolded part in particular I will not buy at all. When Roy went down, Connolly became the number one center playing between Vanek and mostly Pominville after he came back from injury. His offensive role was never diminished. His offensive production diminished, but he was given every opportunity to put up the points. It was not as though he was playing with Kaleta, Grier, McCormick, or Gaustad. If he did, then I would grant you his offensive role got diminished, but that was never the case this past season. He played with the best scoring talent Buffalo had, and he didn't deliver. That's on him, not Lindy or the system or anything else.

Again, my problem with Connolly has been the way he plays not the injuries. He's a center, but is lousy on faceoffs. He's got a great shot, but never takes it. He's got great vision, but turns the puck over all the time. He can stickhandle inside a phone booth, but is extremely poor at gaining the zone (which is an important role for a center) and consistently poor at that on the Power Play. He is promise, but limited results. That's the problem with Tim Connolly.

I wish him well. I'm sure he'll do great things in Toronto. I think a lot of the hate in the media to some extent was too much and unnecessary, specifically Bucky Gleason and Jerry Sullivan. But, he needs to own up to the results and lack of performance in the clutch. That's not really anybody else or any excuse for it. That's my problem with him.

Good to see Miller stand up for a former friend and team mate.

I never understood why none of his teammates stood up for him in the past. Some of the criticism around him was deserved, but too much of it took on a life of its own and he became the great scapegoat for fans and journalists. I'm glad he's gone, but not because I disliked him, but I think he deserves better treatment and hopefullly finds it in Toronto. The way Connolly was treated in Buffalo reminds me of how Andreychuk was treated here. Wonder who our next punching bag will be

The bolded part in particular I will not buy at all. When Roy went down, Connolly became the number one center playing between Vanek and mostly Pominville after he came back from injury. His offensive role was never diminished. His offensive production diminished, but he was given every opportunity to put up the points. It was not as though he was playing with Kaleta, Grier, McCormick, or Gaustad. If he did, then I would grant you his offensive role got diminished, but that was never the case this past season. He played with the best scoring talent Buffalo had, and he didn't deliver. That's on him, not Lindy or the system or anything else.

Although I don't completely agree....when a team is really down to one line, it's not hard to shut that line down.

Again, my problem with Connolly has been the way he plays not the injuries. He's a center, but is lousy on faceoffs. He's got a great shot, but never takes it. He's got great vision, but turns the puck over all the time. He can stickhandle inside a phone booth, but is extremely poor at gaining the zone (which is an important role for a center) and consistently poor at that on the Power Play. He is promise, but limited results. That's the problem with Tim Connolly.

It wasn't that Connolly was bad at taking the zone, he was Buffalo's best at it. The problem was when he failed to take it, it often looked spectacularly bad.

I wish him well. I'm sure he'll do great things in Toronto. I think a lot of the hate in the media to some extent was too much and unnecessary, specifically Bucky Gleason and Jerry Sullivan. But, he needs to own up to the results and lack of performance in the clutch. That's not really anybody else or any excuse for it. That's my problem with him.

I find it hard to wish him well, now that he's a Leaf. :beer:

Globe and Mail Article regarding Connolly

Quote Miller,

The latest criticism of Connolly, the NHL club’s only major free-agent signing this year, was published in the Toronto Sun this week, suggesting his reputation amongst “hockey people” consists of being “difficult,” a “loner,” a “spoiled brat” and “not a team player.”

The article drew the ire of several of Connolly’s former teammates with the Buffalo Sabres, including star netminder Ryan Miller, who painted a picture of a player who has been unfairly criticized throughout his career while battling through a series of devastating injuries.

“It’s unfortunate the media hasn’t even let him get on the ice before starting with this crap,” Miller said Thursday.

“I think some people in the media [in Buffalo] felt like he owed them explanations beyond what he cared to share, and it just became a little bit of a vendetta. From my perspective, the only thing Tim doesn’t care about is what the talking heads think about him. He cares about hockey fans, he cares about winning and he cares about his teammates.

“In my book, that’s all that matters.”

Although I don't completely agree....when a team is really down to one line, it's not hard to shut that line down.

It wasn't that Connolly was bad at taking the zone, he was Buffalo's best at it. The problem was when he failed to take it, it often looked spectacularly bad.

I find it hard to wish him well, now that he's a Leaf. :beer:

I suppose I can see your point, but even with that kind of pressure, Thomas Vanek was the leading goal scorer and point scorer for the Sabres this past year. He produced, but Connolly did not. The bulk of the Sabres success offensively really came from Drew Stafford and Tyler Ennis this year to compensate for the lack of production from the top line, but Vanek still produced both at even strength and on the PP. The point being is that the Sabres have enough talent on the top two lines and Connolly pretty much was playing with these guys and not some offensively deficient players hence his role was not diminished, just his production.

I kind of feel that Ennis became better at taking the zone as the year progressed. For a puck possession team (or one trying to play that style of game), it relies on two things, winning faceoffs and gaining the blueline. Connolly was notoriously lousy at faceoffs and while it is an endemic problem on this team to gain the zone, Connolly would have troubles gaining the zone or immediately turning the puck over upon gaining the zone. He's just prone to too many boneheaded plays that make you wonder what this guy is thinking.

He's maddeningly frustrating to watch as a player because he is so talented but makes way too many stupid plays. In terms of pure talent, he was probably the most talented player the Buffalo Sabres had over the last 5 years, but he never put it all together. Injuries are probably part of the reason, but his play itself never came around to take advantage of all of that talent. Guys with lesser talent became better players than Connolly such as Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, and Drew Stafford. He was a 5th overall pick because his talent was amazing, and he was always talented, but he never put it all together to become that top echelon centerman that he has the talent to be. That's frustrating.

Again, the abuse he took to a great extent was often unfair, I will agree to that. It's unfortunate, but this team and city cannot go without having a whipping boy. Before Connolly, it was Afinogenov. And like someone mentioned earlier, Dave Andreychuk was another whipping boy who fielded an unfair share of criticism. Either way, I think the Sabres needed to move on and Connolly needed to move on and I would not be surprised in the least if he had a career year putting up 20 goals and 70-80 points. It would not surprise me one bit.

Pommer and Vanek never shied from the pressure. They stood and answered their critics and the media. I guess that is where i was going with it. As I mentioned in that post, they didn't meet the levels of performance that the team needed but they didn't back down, didn't run and hide, and didn't go in a corner and sulk. They got frustrated (Vanek especially) but they didn't back down. I give them credit for it.

Well, I guess I don't disagree, but I also don't think answering reporters' questions with a string of redundant sports cliches (which is what I generally hear from Vanek and Pommer in their interviews) constitutes "manning up." I just think it's part of their jobs. Did TC blow off that part of his job? Yes, but I don't really care. There are and have been plenty of athletes who don't speak much with the media. In the context of NHL players, I think of "manning up" as including, say, scoring in the 3rd period (or even the 2nd period) of a playoff game -- which neither Vanek nor Pommer (nor TC) did this year.

Well, I guess I don't disagree, but I also don't think answering reporters' questions with a string of redundant sports cliches (which is what I generally hear from Vanek and Pommer in their interviews) constitutes "manning up." I just think it's part of their jobs. Did TC blow off that part of his job? Yes, but I don't really care. There are and have been plenty of athletes who don't speak much with the media. In the context of NHL players, I think of "manning up" as including, say, scoring in the 3rd period (or even the 2nd period) of a playoff game -- which neither Vanek nor Pommer (nor TC) did this year.

Agreed. None of them had the mental makeup to get it done. It just looked to me like TC started to hide, TV never hid. He didn't make the big play, but he kept digging for it.

Agreed. None of them had the mental makeup to get it done. It just looked to me like TC started to hide, TV never hid. He didn't make the big play, but he kept digging for it.

On the ice? I'm not being facetious -- just want to make sure we're not still talking about the post-game interviews.

If you meant on the ice, I'm not sure. I know many posters here are Vanek believers. I want to believe in him but I'm not there yet. I think his game is more limited than I'd like to see from the Sabres' "star" player, and the lasting impressions he leaves me with are (i) he fattens up his stats against the crappy teams, (ii) he shows flashes on the backcheck but not enough to make him as good of an all-ice player as he should be, (iii) most of his intensity seems to be displayed by him being PO'd at himself for not scoring -- and not directed at the opposition, where it should be, (iv) doesn't elevate his teammates and (v) doesn't deliver in crunch time.

If he's the Sabres' best player and putative captain, I want to see much, much more from him.

Archived