All About Tim Connolly

IKnowPhysics

It was Canada Day. It's kind of a big deal.

He's American. That's okay, as it's still important. What I was unsure of was whether he was visiting the Canadian troops or the U.S. troops. Either way, the fact he was not in Toronto or working the phones on UFA day is a bit telling.

I LOVE Burke being the Loafs GM. I was not happy when they added Duds to his staff, but I am very pleased w/ Burke in TO.

That said, I fully expected somebody to pay Timmy $9MM over 2 years. I'm mildly surprised he's getting an extra $0.5MM but not terribly. And, though I may end up eating this comment later, I'm very glad that it's the Loafs that are paying him.

I think it's a bit premature to discuss Burke's tenure in Toronto. He put some good teams together in Vancouver and Anaheim (although much of the drafting for that team was done by Brian Murray before Burke got there). When he came to Toronto, JFJ had done such a horrible job at everything as it related to drafting, trading, and signing free agents. When Burke got there he had no talent, no prospects, no draft picks, and a bunch of overpaid veterans ALL (somewhat hyperbole, but not that far off) with No Trade or No Movement Clauses. To rebound from that will take a few years, but they still aren't there yet.

Having said that, his work to date has been less than stellar what with the Komisarek signing, Beauchemin (then trading him), Giguere, Gustavsson, etc. The Kessel trade was a huge risk and a huge price that I'm not sure will pan out, but he's made enough trades to recover some of those draft picks back. The Phaneuf trade, however, has worked out well for Toronto. But, his stint so far has been less than stellar in my mind. And, the Connolly signing is very bizarre, especially what they paid him.

He's American. That's okay, as it's still important. What I was unsure of was whether he was visiting the Canadian troops or the U.S. troops. Either way, the fact he was not in Toronto or working the phones on UFA day is a bit telling.

I think it's a bit premature to discuss Burke's tenure in Toronto. He put some good teams together in Vancouver and Anaheim (although much of the drafting for that team was done by Brian Murray before Burke got there). When he came to Toronto, JFJ had done such a horrible job at everything as it related to drafting, trading, and signing free agents. When Burke got there he had no talent, no prospects, no draft picks, and a bunch of overpaid veterans ALL (somewhat hyperbole, but not that far off) with No Trade or No Movement Clauses. To rebound from that will take a few years, but they still aren't there yet.

Having said that, his work to date has been less than stellar what with the Komisarek signing, Beauchemin (then trading him), Giguere, Gustavsson, etc. The Kessel trade was a huge risk and a huge price that I'm not sure will pan out, but he's made enough trades to recover some of those draft picks back. The Phaneuf trade, however, has worked out well for Toronto. But, his stint so far has been less than stellar in my mind. And, the Connolly signing is very bizarre, especially what they paid him.

IMHO Burke is regarded as a genius w/in the league because he has been very tight in the inner workings of the league office and noone wants to be the guy to say something negative about him. Yeah, he won a SC in Anaheim, but most of that team was already put together, the good Niedermayer approached HIM, and if Pronger's wife wasn't whiny he doesn't come close to putting together a SC winner. (Without Pronger that team doesn't get to the Finals.)

I believe the reputation is significantly overblown. I do think he's a decent / good GM, but nowhere near the Wile E. Coyote Suuuuupragenious that he's made out to be. I'd put him in the top 15, but am not positive he'd be in my top 10; he definitely wouldn't be in my top 5.

During TSN's FA show, Pierre McGuire couldn't repeat himself often enough that Burke's predecessors were horrible (which is true) and that he's doing a GREAT job. Pierre, if you really think Burke has been doing a great job, you might want to try cutting back on the sauce.

And, considering that TO has the money to get a truly top GM, I love the fact that they have one who's reputation is greater than his actual skill.

Also here is a blog post i wrote up earlier today about Connolly... wasn't sure if i wanted to post here or not because I'm sure i'll get grilled for it... but it wouldn't be the first time =P

http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=637

Nice write up. I know a lot of people questioned Connolly's commitment to winning and the team, but I'll never forget that he was the only guy to step up to Gomez after he ended Miller's and the Sabres season a few years ago. But part of being professional athlete is staying healthy and Tim consistently put himself in position to be injured throughout his career in Buffalo. The two videos you posted on you site are perfect examples. Yes, they are cheap shots, but why does Tim continue to play with his head down and end up in defenseless and dangerous positions?

IMHO Toronto vastly overpaid for Connolly, just like the Sabres did for Ehrhoff and Leino. That being said, good for Tim and I hope he does well in the future. I really hope Darcy can work out a trade, because as of now Roy, Goose, and Cody are their only natural centers. Instead of addressing the organization's weakness down the middle, they overplayed for an unproven LW to play Center and lost another one. Who is Connolly's agent because I want him to negotiate my next raise.

boo him during games

Really? Boo a guy who the team let go? Don't "we" boo enough players already for bad reasons? Boo him (and anyone else) when he comes out on the ice, if you want, but don't do it every time he touches the puck. That's so bush league.

Now I can hate Tim Connoly and boo him during games even more because now he is on the Leafs! Who would even sign him?

We know Sabres fans love to boo former Sabres when they have the puck. Luckily for Timmy; he usually turns the puck over very quickly.

I wasn't a Connolly hater. I was just a Connolly as a Sabre hater.

I wish you all the best of luck Timmy - just as long as the Leafs never cause the Sabres any problems.

Really? Boo a guy who the team let go? Don't "we" boo enough players already for bad reasons? Boo him (and anyone else) when he comes out on the ice, if you want, but don't do it every time he touches the puck. That's so bush league.

im the most hypocritical person when it comes to this discussion. when i sit at home reading the boards and take a rational approach to thinking about it, really no player deserves to be boo'd and certainly not EVERY time they touch the puck, and i agree it's kind of "bush league" to do so. but when im in the stands and three beers deep at HSBC, i lose my rational thinking skills and i have no problem booing whoever i feel like. especially if it's the playoffs and we're trying to make HSBC as hostile a place to play in as possible. usually it's reserved for guys like chara, or chris neil, or avery, or whatever-- i won't be booing connolly that's for sure. the problem with booing a guy like chara is he controls the puck so much my voice gets lost real quick.

Did you pay for my ticket? Don't tell me how to act in my seat.

IMHO Burke is regarded as a genius w/in the league because he has been very tight in the inner workings of the league office and noone wants to be the guy to say something negative about him. Yeah, he won a SC in Anaheim, but most of that team was already put together, the good Niedermayer approached HIM, and if Pronger's wife wasn't whiny he doesn't come close to putting together a SC winner. (Without Pronger that team doesn't get to the Finals.)

I believe the reputation is significantly overblown. I do think he's a decent / good GM, but nowhere near the Wile E. Coyote Suuuuupragenious that he's made out to be. I'd put him in the top 15, but am not positive he'd be in my top 10; he definitely wouldn't be in my top 5.

During TSN's FA show, Pierre McGuire couldn't repeat himself often enough that Burke's predecessors were horrible (which is true) and that he's doing a GREAT job. Pierre, if you really think Burke has been doing a great job, you might want to try cutting back on the sauce.

And, considering that TO has the money to get a truly top GM, I love the fact that they have one who's reputation is greater than his actual skill.

Boston voted Brian Burke the best GM in the league. :lol:

I'm fine with Burkie staying in TO a long time. He's been a bit schizophrenic about the type of program he wants.....3 years ago it was the tough Anahiem Ducks were coming to the lake.....now it is somewhere closer to a fast and feisty. I still don't think they have the talent at any position to pull it off.

I generally agree with this. He strikes me as a pretty good and honorable guy who likes the limelight and the microphones perhaps a bit much. Combine that with a penchant for the splashy move, the cup win in Anaheim and taking the leafs job and you have a well overhyped GM.

and bostonian.

Did you pay for my ticket? Don't tell me how to act in my seat.

You are, of course, welcome to boo whenever you want -- I didn't really mean it as a mandate, as much as a suggestion -- just realize that doing it every single time that a player touches the puck just makes you and the fan base, as a whole, look/sound ... for lack of a better word ... stupid. I'm pretty sure a guy like Chara isn't bothered by it in the least. In fact, being so consistent, probably makes it easier to ignore. But you do your thing. :rolleyes:

You are, of course, welcome to boo whenever you want -- I didn't really mean it as a mandate, as much as a suggestion -- just realize that doing it every single time that a player touches the puck just makes you and the fan base, as a whole, look/sound ... for lack of a better word ... stupid. I'm pretty sure a guy like Chara isn't bothered by it in the least. In fact, being so consistent, probably makes it easier to ignore. But you do your thing. :rolleyes:

Are you mad cuz you didn't think of it first? Plus, it's always way more fun to boo.

In college we used to pass out "Jeer-Cards" before the basketball games so that we could strategically and intelligently get into the heads of the opposing teams players. ND has never been a power in basketball, but their home court record (even in the big east) was WAY better than their road-neutral record. After I left they've continued this tradition, and ND became the first big east team to ever finish two seasons in a row undefeated at home in 2008. I have to believe that this had something to do with it.

That said, who has the ability to make 18,000+ copies ever other day or so starting next fall?

I get a chuckle out of it whenever I hear it, even if it's something I wouldn't do myself.

Relly? I love hockey. I could give a rats ass about the GM in Toronto.

You obviously don't love hockey to the point where you are obsessed with front office logistics in other franchises (especially your own division), with a keen eye on potential ramifications to your and every other team in the conference.

If not that, maybe you just don't hate Toronto enough to wish for apocalyptic conflagration of their organization, causing fans to gnash their teeth and bellow bloodless screams to the heavens.

Or maybe you just don't give a rats ass.

Pet peeve number 2 for me, behind anything that comes out of our current PA announcer's mouth. Or cotton eye joe.

Carp, the booing for Connolly might reach unprecedented levels.

You obviously don't love hockey to the point where you are obsessed with front office logistics in other franchises (especially your own division), with a keen eye on potential ramifications to your and every other team in the conference.

If not that, maybe you just don't hate Toronto enough to wish for apocalyptic conflagration of their organization, causing fans to gnash their teeth and bellow bloodless screams to the heavens.

Or maybe you just don't give a rats ass.

Pet peeve number 2 for me, behind anything that comes out of our current PA announcer's mouth. Or cotton eye joe.

Funniest ###### i ever read considering i got run out of a leaf forum for my opinion of Connolly.

I must be a man without a country I guess lol.

If you knew my background you would laugh at how ironic your post is. I don't like Burke and don't care about him anymore than I should care about the Wild GM. Whoever that is. Or San Jose or whoever. They aren't my team and nothing they do will impact my GM's decision making process.

Meh

oh my goodness, wishing for me to gnash my teeth and bellow bloodless screams, and apocalyptic conflagration , ( been doing that for years, seems to me the apocalyptic conflagration happened years ago, mind you I am old now and my memory is likely not what it used to be... Horton to Armstrong into the empty net , the Leafs win the Stanley Cup.... :clapping: , and now the puppy has ate my new glasses, now that is some real gnashing of teeth.. :blush:

Not counting Leino's first year in Detroit (only played 13 games, so irrelevant really), his career stats are as follows:

2009-10: 55GP, 6 G, 5 A and a -8

2010-11: 81GP, 19G, 34A, and a +14

TC:

2007-08: 48GP, 7G, 33A, +4

2008-09: 48GP, 18G, 29A, +12

2009-10: 73GP, 17G, 48A, +10

2010:-11: 68GP, 13G, 29A, -10

While Connolly may only have eclipsed Leino's 53 points twice, he's come very close to doing it in years where he's missed half of the season. Tim Connolly is a productive, nearly a point per game player. Go ahead and call him "injury prone" because of his concussion issues. That's a real manly thing to do. Paul Kariya and Eric Lindros retired because of concussion problems. Marc Savard might not play again because of concussion problems. They are a BIG DEAL. He's not "injury prone" because he missed games with post concussion syndrome.

Let me put it this way-- remember how LIVID Sabres fans were when Connolly signed 2 years @ 4.5 mil based on him scoring 18G and 29A in the 48 games he played the second half of 2008-09? Because honestly that deal makes a whole lot more sense than the Leino deal at SIX years based off of 19G and 34 assists with a stacked Philly team.

Not if you think Leino is going to get better and fits the Sabres' system. You are being myopic when you keep looking at the past. Why did Philly want to resign him for $3.5m--based on your backward looking analysis, that made no sense either, especially when they were parting with Richards, Carter, Versteeg, Carcillo, etc. etc. Now I'm not saying Buffalo is right on this--but they think Leino will be very strong. If he hits 20 goals and 45 assists regularly, you will think this deal is a steal. It's a calculated risk--"sure things" cost much much more if they even exist. I would much rather have Leino on the team than old and moldy Connolly--and that's pretty much the exchange.

Carp, the booing for Connolly might reach unprecedented levels.

Yeah, it's just going to happen that way. We might not like players who depart for more green, but we downright hate players who didn't give a full effort while they were here.

Carp, the booing for Connolly might will reach unprecedented levels.

Fixed it for you.

I expect that he is going to be getting booed when he touches the puck in warmups. He will be about as popular in the Mmarena as Terry O'Reilly was in the Aud for vastly different reasons.

Archived