All About Tim Connolly

IKnowPhysics

So, Deluca, is Burke still your model GM? :nana:

very nice.

Lets see Connolly's last two playoffs a total of 3 points and a 29 game scoreless streak. Leino last two playoffs (totaling 30 games) 10 goals and 16 assists for 26 points. Yeah I will stick with Leino.

Boom!

Not just the concussions: Face, sternum, groin, tailbone, hip, hip flexor, foot........

The concussions are not part of being injury prone, but unfortunately they decrease his longevity. And as cruel as it is, that makes him a huge risk for a professional club. I for one am tired of the head injury problem in the NHL and empathize with TC, Savard, Drury, Kariya, Lindros, Lafontaine etc. However I'm going to think twice about dishing out terms to a risky player if I'm a GM. Just the ugly side of business.

And your numbers do pose the question regarding the terms we just gave Leino. But the fact of the matter is, he's produced a hell of a lot more than TC when it mattered, i.e. in the SCP.

Good post.

My 2 cents: While I defended TC here for a long time, and I certainly didn't detest him the way many here did, his time here was over. I think at the end of the day he has the kind of body that is simply not built to stand up to the incredible stress inflicted by an NHL season. Frankly I blame the Sabres' decision-makers for not recognizing that fact earlier and for putting the Sabres, year after year since Black Sunday, into a position in which they depended on TC to stay healthy -- because it simply wasn't going to happen.

I don't think TC was a malingerer or a faker. He put himself in harm's way over and over and he paid a stiff price. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be one of the ex-athletes with major mental and physical health issues in his 40s and 50s due to the price he paid. It looked to me this season like his physical ability had started to decline, and I'm happy for him that he was able to get another big paycheck (especially since it involves taking up cap space on the Leafs). But at the same time, he didn't deliver for the Sabres in the playoffs and he was another one of their top 6 who didn't play with the fire in the belly that they really need. It was time to move on.

I'm not going to bash the guy on his way out the door. He has great hands, good feet and very good hockey IQ and plays a good 2-way game. He also was primarily responsible for 7-6, which remains my favorite Sabres game of all time, and provided many other thrilling moments during '05-'06, which remains my favorite Sabres season of all time.

Farewell TC. Thanks for the memories.

So, Deluca, is Burke still your model GM? :nana:

This is a strange signing. If I were a Leaf fan I would be losing my mind. I guess we now know who is in the photos with Regier that Connolly has been holding over the Sabres heads for the last 10 years.

It comes down to the ###### old argument: contracts paying for achievement vs contracts paying for expectation. Neither Connolly or Leino has laid great groundwork for paying based on achievement. So that means we paid both on expectation.

Good post :thumbsup:

Not counting Leino's first year in Detroit (only played 13 games, so irrelevant really), his career stats are as follows:

2009-10: 55GP, 6 G, 5 A and a -8

2010-11: 81GP, 19G, 34A, and a +14

TC:

2007-08: 48GP, 7G, 33A, +4

2008-09: 48GP, 18G, 29A, +12

2009-10: 73GP, 17G, 48A, +10

2010:-11: 68GP, 13G, 29A, -10

Let me put it this way-- remember how LIVID Sabres fans were when Connolly signed 2 years @ 4.5 mil based on him scoring 18G and 29A in the 48 games he played the second half of 2008-09? Because honestly that deal makes a whole lot more sense than the Leino deal at SIX years based off of 19G and 34 assists with a stacked Philly team.

About the only counter I will come up with for you position re: Leino's contract is that the cap is way bigger now than it was then. I think it makes sense to compare what % of the cap ceiling Leino's and Connolly's contract is/was. ( I don't have the ambition to do it myself or I would :blush: )

OK, I got bored waiting for the wife to get ready to go out to dinner so I checked the salary cap back when Connolly signed his last deal with us.

Connolly- $4.5M Salary cap- $56.8M Connolly's contract was about 8% of the cap in year 1.

I don't know what salary number to pick for Leino, 1st two years at $6M each? I guess I'll use that. Salary cap- $64.3M Leino's contract is about 9% of the cap. So Leino takes up about as much of our cap as Connolly did when his last deal was signed. I guess if Leino lives up to DR's expectations it'll be a good deal. If he's hurt all the time and doesn't reach expectations he'll be about the same drag on the cap that Connolly was.

Looking at the stats you posted and the cap hit I think you make a good point. If Darcy got this one wrong he'll deserve the criticism he takes. If he gets it right he'll deserve the same sort of credit he got for resurrecting Briere.

Good riddance! Thank you, Brian Burke and Dave Nonis! :worthy:

I have defended Connolly from time-to-time on here only because there was no other option. If Larry Quinn were still the Managing Partner, I have no doubt in my mind Connolly would have retired as a Buffalo Sabre. I am so happy Connolly will not be returning with Buffalo, and I am glad Leino is coming here.

I never wanted Connolly re-signed back in 2006, and we've had to live with him for 5 years since then. His cap hit was the exact same cap hit that J.P. Dumont got in arbitration, and I would have preferred keeping Dumont instead of Connolly knowing full well he was going to miss most of the next season with Post Concussion Syndrome (no one saw the Stress Fracture Coming), but I still believe that a healthy Dumont over injured Connolly would have made the 2006-2007 Sabres an even better team than they already were. With Dumont, they may beat Ottawa and win the Cup because Connolly did nothing that year in the playoffs for Buffalo, just like he hasn't the last two years.

This is a great day for Buffalo Sabres fans. I have even more faith in Darcy Regier now than I had yesterday. Great job, Darcy!! :worthy:

Not counting Leino's first year in Detroit (only played 13 games, so irrelevant really), his career stats are as follows:

TC:

While Connolly may only have eclipsed Leino's 53 points twice, he's come very close to doing it in years where he's missed half of the season. Tim Connolly is a productive, nearly a point per game player. Go ahead and call him "injury prone" because of his concussion issues. That's a real manly thing to do. Paul Kariya and Eric Lindros retired because of concussion problems. Marc Savard might not play again because of concussion problems. They are a BIG DEAL. He's not "injury prone" because he missed games with post concussion syndrome.

Let me put it this way-- remember how LIVID Sabres fans were when Connolly signed 2 years @ 4.5 mil based on him scoring 18G and 29A in the 48 games he played the second half of 2008-09? Because honestly that deal makes a whole lot more sense than the Leino deal at SIX years based off of 19G and 34 assists with a stacked Philly team.

I always enjoy your posts sportsbuff but don't drag your anger regarding the Leino signing into this thread. For one, Connolly was INVISIBLE come playoff time which is exactly the opposite of what Leino has accomplished the past two seasons. I think we all know what TC is, a decent two way forward who can play PK minutes. I'd take Leino over The Tin Man anyday! Yes, we added four extra years, but at the end of the day, that is what was required to get him to sign on the doted lines.

To any Leaf fans trolling, you're getting a soft, injury prone guy who is very streaky. As a #2 or #3 center he is decent but he's paid as a #1 and I just don't see that potential. Could be wrong, maybe a change of scenery will help but you are getting zero physical ability out of him. Surpised it was the Leafs signing him, he just doesn't seem like a Burke player.

This is amazing. I am so relieved he is gone. Do you realize he scored 30 goals in the last two years and made $9 million dollars. That's $300,000 per goal!!!!

Touche, sir!

Most disliked Sabre ever? At least in my eyes

TC:

What was Leino cost compared to Connolly? Productivity vs. price? Leino is ascending and Connolly is descending. Also,Leino has shown much more in the playoffs and isn't made of glass.

Timmy is [going to] get chewed up by the desperate Leaf fans and super annoying leaf press, its not gonna be pretty. As a side note another american on the leafs, lol........ :beer:

Just what I was thinking... man, if Timmy hated facing the press and fans around Buffalo, he is in for a rude awakening in Toronto. I hope he likes waffles. Good luck to him but I'm not disappointed that he's no longer a Sabre. Now that he's gone, who does that leave as the longest-tenured player on the team (too lazy to look it up)?

Just what I was thinking... man, if Timmy hated facing the press and fans around Buffalo, he is in for a rude awakening in Toronto. I hope he likes waffles. Good luck to him but I'm not disappointed that he's no longer a Sabre. Now that he's gone, who does that leave as the longest-tenured player on the team (too lazy to look it up)?

Does Ales Count?

Does Ales Count?

Not sure... my guess would be no if they only count years played as a Sabre (and since he may end up an American this year instead).

This may have been noted elsewhere and I just missed it before (I was away from the board the couple of weeks after the Sabres were eliminated from the playoffs), but saw that Timmy's mystery injury from that series was a separated sternum... OUCH.

MEDICAL WATCH:

—RW Jason Pominville (sliced leg tendon) was hurt during Game 5 of the playoffs. He had surgery is out for four to six months, making him questionable for the start of 2011-12.

—RW Mike Grier (wrist) needs surgery but should be recovered by next season.

—RW Patrick Kaleta (broken hand) was hurt in Game 3 of the playoffs.

—C Tim Connolly (separated sternum) was expected to recover in four to six weeks.

Quote from Timmy during a telephone interview after his deal form the Leafs...."This is the most excited I've been for a season in a long time".....really Timmy???

well, in all fairness, it's not like he's going to say "this really sucks, I can't believe I signed with these turds. What was I thinking? :nana:

Quote from Timmy during a telephone interview after his deal form the Leafs...."This is the most excited I've been for a season in a long time".....really Timmy???

Of course it's a standard cliche that all guys say when they sign onto a new team...but it's still annoying. He's not even Canadian, so why would he give a particular sh!t about playing in TO? Dumb.

Archived