All About Tim Connolly

IKnowPhysics

Just what I was thinking... man, if Timmy hated facing the press and fans around Buffalo, he is in for a rude awakening in Toronto. I hope he likes waffles. Good luck to him but I'm not disappointed that he's no longer a Sabre. Now that he's gone, who does that leave as the longest-tenured player on the team (too lazy to look it up)?

:clapping:

This can only go one of two ways. It is the same Tim Connolly that we all know and he is a mediocre player that shows flashes of talent here and there, injured and misses 20 games and scores about 40 points. OR he's going to have a break out year with the change of scenery and the fresh start and playing with Kessel and become a Sabre killer just like every other player that has left Buffalo. My hunch is the former, but I would not be surprised by the latter, and if so, good for him. Either way, the Sabres needed to move on from Connolly and vice versa.

Agree with this opinion.... will admit to visiting site and lurking each day , enjoy much reading thoughts and opinions of the many fine folk who frequent site. Must admit first impulse when seeing news of this signing was " oh great, why in hell would they do this". But as poster says it really could go one of two ways he continue being the same tantalizing players with flashes of great talent who in end at best can be described as mediocre or he under different coaching and change of scenery blossoms. Can't see the latter but I suppose one never knows.

Good for all of you , nice to see some genuine optimism for a fan base wishing for a winner. ( I am speaking of Sabres... :) )

turning 71 this month scary, got to wonder at times if I will see the day of a winner in Buffalo, things at least certainly do appear much better...

nice to speak with you ...

This can only go one of two ways. It is the same Tim Connolly that we all know and he is a mediocre player that shows flashes of talent here and there, injured and misses 20 games and scores about 40 points. OR he's going to have a break out year with the change of scenery and the fresh start and playing with Kessel and become a Sabre killer just like every other player that has left Buffalo. My hunch is the former, but I would not be surprised by the latter, and if so, good for him. Either way, the Sabres needed to move on from Connolly and vice versa.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Burke in Toronto. TSN was talking yesterday how Burke wasn't even at the Leafs offices yesterday and wasn't part of the group that met with Richards and his agent. I wonder if there is a split between Burke and ownership.

Briere has certainly had scoring success against us. Who else are you referring to? Ty Conklin? :unsure:

Agree with this opinion.... will admit to visiting site and lurking each day , enjoy much reading thoughts and opinions of the many fine folk who frequent site. Must admit first impulse when seeing news of this signing was " oh great, why in hell would they do this". But as poster says it really could go one of two ways he continue being the same tantalizing players with flashes of great talent who in end at best can be described as mediocre or he under different coaching and change of scenery blossoms. Can't see the latter but I suppose one never knows.

Good for all of you , nice to see some genuine optimism for a fan base wishing for a winner. ( I am speaking of Sabres... :) )

turning 71 this month scary, got to wonder at times if I will see the day of a winner in Buffalo, things at least certainly do appear much better...

Hello M.

Nice to see / read your still alive and kicking. Hope he works out for your leafs just not in the games they play B'Lo. I am glad he is no longer a Sabre but wish him the best.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Burke in Toronto. TSN was talking yesterday how Burke wasn't even at the Leafs offices yesterday and wasn't part of the group that met with Richards and his agent. I wonder if there is a split between Burke and ownership.

Interesting observation. I will admit I was on the Burke GM envy train vs Regier when he first came to TO.

That would make more sense to me why Timmy was signed since he doesn't appear to fit the typical Burke player mold.

Great post Millbank. As for being 71 years young, don't sweat it, you got many years in front of you and the Sabres outlook is positive IMO. My grandfather is responsible for my love of the Sabres, and my wish has always been for him to be around to see them hoist the cup. He's 92 years old, and never misses a game on TV. I have the fondest of memories watching the blue and gold with him. If they are ever in that decisive game, I won't be at HSBC, I won't be downtown at a bar or at a party. I'll be at Greenfield Nursing Home in Lancaster sharing the moment with him.

Good call. This would also explain the hiring of Dudley. Visiting the troops in Afghanistan is a great thing, but very strange for him to have done so on July 1.

Briere has certainly had scoring success against us. Who else are you referring to? Ty Conklin? :unsure:

Ty Conklin has no doubt been a Sabre killer. I guess I was really referring to Briere. Drury hasn't done much against the Sabres and Brian Campbell has been in the Western Conference mostly.

Great post Millbank. As for being 71 years young, don't sweat it, you got many years in front of you and the Sabres outlook is positive IMO. My grandfather is responsible for my love of the Sabres, and my wish has always been for him to be around to see them hoist the cup. He's 92 years old, and never misses a game on TV. I have the fondest of memories watching the blue and gold with him. If they are ever in that decisive game, I won't be at HSBC, I won't be downtown at a bar or at a party. I'll be at Greenfield Nursing Home in Lancaster sharing the moment with him.

Good man.

Burke aside and money aside.....I wouldn't be surprised if Dudley advised on the deal. Most of all it says to me that Tyler Bozack isn't ready......(if you think Luke Adam was a train-wreck defensively - put Bozack with Kessle...) Just a 2 year deal, and it buys them some time. Toronto has a ton of money and nowhere to spend it. By overpaying Connolly you've hurt Buffalo's depth (yes, Timmy is still a very useful player)....and Toronto is buying more time for Kardri and Bozack to develop.

Toronto doesn't have anyone to spend their money on (poor UFA market) so this doesn't hurt them with cap space or financially. Connolly benefits from a poor UFA class...but by overpaying Connolly by 2 million - this makes Toronto better balanced, and keeps Buffalo from signing him at around 3M on a 3rd line.

Eh, I don't think this was going to happen after VL signed.

Buffalo would have taken him still, but Darcy wasn't going to get into bidding or matching situation.

( FWIW 2 years @ 2.8 was Buffalo's number from what I heard...not that there is anything solid about heresay ).

Buffalo would have taken him still, but Darcy wasn't going to get into bidding or matching situation.

( FWIW 2 years @ 2.8 was Buffalo's number from what I heard...not that there is anything solid about heresay ).

interesting.

Isn't that because he is visiting troops in Afghanistan?

Anyway, I've been smirking since I learned of this at 4pm, and I'm still smirking now.

And if I'm a bartender on Elmwood, I'm very scared tonight.

Just what I was thinking... man, if Timmy hated facing the press and fans around Buffalo, he is in for a rude awakening in Toronto. I hope he likes waffles. Good luck to him but I'm not disappointed that he's no longer a Sabre. Now that he's gone, who does that leave as the longest-tenured player on the team (too lazy to look it up)?

Quote from Timmy during a telephone interview after his deal form the Leafs...."This is the most excited I've been for a season in a long time".....really Timmy???

In all honesty, the fanbase and local media has been so far down on Connolly for so long that the change of scenery should be better for him. I'm not saying that we didn't have reasons to be low on the way we played, but that pressure is a horrible cross to bear is not an easy thing. It's twice as bad as it was with Max, because Max had die-hard fans that couldn't get over his skills; he had support where Tim hasn't.

It's also worth noting that the most negative thing that the new ownership has said about us as fans is that we were overly hard on Connolly. He spoke very highly of the team, the city and the fans, with the caveat that Buffalo fans will let you know when you're in their bad graces. It was the thing that made us worry about Mr. Pegula when he first bought the team, that he was too much of a fan. Jessie tweeted tonight that she was still amazed at how rough we were on him (her opinion being slanted by meeting him in the auspices of her being his boss's daughter).

Like it or not, we were very hard on him and he will have the opportunity to prove us wrong playing for our hated enemy.

Let me put it this way-- remember how LIVID Sabres fans were when Connolly signed 2 years @ 4.5 mil based on him scoring 18G and 29A in the 48 games he played the second half of 2008-09? Because honestly that deal makes a whole lot more sense than the Leino deal at SIX years based off of 19G and 34 assists with a stacked Philly team.

Two completely different situations, IMHO. On top of the numbers (albeit truncated and with everything else involved) Tim Connolly was done in Buffalo. I don't have the Hate-r-ade for him that others do, but the outcry at his being re-signed (no matter how tiny the contract) would have been quite taxing on him, I'm sure. All that being said, and add in the playoff performances over the years, I'm happier with Leino on my team than I am with Connolly. They were both overpaid, no question, but that's the price of doing business and trying to land one of the better players on the Free Agent market, because you need to pay them (and perhaps overpay them) and do it quick. Connolly may not seem like that to us, but he was the third most skilled center on the market behind Richards and Fleischmann (who has the heart condition going against him).

While many of us as Sabres fans may think that Connolly has a heart condition as well (ie: Lacking), the change of scenery may make him worth every penny in Toronto, because as the radio shows and this board at times can show, we have it in us to be brutal to our players.

Agreed.

I didn't make this video, but it's a GREAT video. Even if you're the biggest TC hater on the board, you have to at LEAST appreciate the highlight reel goals he scored here in Buffalo... this is a great video and highlights his skillset when at the peek of his game.. i'm going to miss this man. This post goes out to Tim Connolly -- thank you for these moments. and good luck in Toronto.

PS: Seriously, pay attention at 1:10... is that not the SAME goal Giroux scored against us in the playoffs this year? :doh:

Archived