Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

I think every single person on this board forgot how good Butler was when he first came up. He has significant value.

I think this can be an example of both guys improving their situation. Regehr suddenly becomes a mentor and as viewed as a leader on a team that doesn't have an Iginla. His style will stand out here while in Calgary their physical D wasn't as much of an issue as it was overpaying skilled guys up front that screwed the pooch. Regehr has offensive upside and I could see him playing a nice role on the PP and maybe squeaking out 35-40 points if he really starts feeling his oats here.

Butler seems like he needs a leader to show him how to do it. He'd start to figure something out...screw up...then back off. The Philly OT goal was a perfect example. He stood there playing paddy-cake as Lieno scored. Unacceptable. It should be built into your DNA as a defenseman to kill that guy 1st and ask questions later. He took a bad penalty when he shouldn't have then became passive when anything goes. I think he will do well to leave Lindy and he has a few guys to learn from in Calgary.

From the Flames board: took me 10 minutes to stop laughing at some of the comments:

Regier's comments on the players coming back to Calgary (from the fan 960)

Butler: Good puck mover (snicker)

Byron: Great speed, not big in stature, very competitive, will play in the league shortly (snicker, snicker, bwahahahaha)

Shrewd of Regier to not say which league he'll play in shortly. Gawd I hate our "management" team......

Feaster: We were in cap jail.

Now we're in crap jail.

I heard that the next sequel of "Dumb and Dumber" movie is coming out... Think it's called "Dumber, Dumberer and Feaster"... Man, I still cannot believe we get se fleeced in this deal.

It sounds like Feaster thinks Byron is equivalent to Nathan Gerbe and Tyler Ennis...

I'm almost wondering if he thinks he IS Tyler Ennis...

I wake up to the worst trade in Flames history. I'm going back to bed.

I like this one

Regehr's value goes beyond just his defensive skills. He was a leader, a policeman and an intimidating presence. Sure, he wouldn't win a race for the puck. Instead he'd plaster you into next week for doing so.

I'm sure it's been mentioned ad nauseum but just as important as how good the addition is, is the message it sends throughout the league.

The entire situation was so confusing that I held off on making a comment until it was official...official.

I went to the draft party at the arena yesterday to pregame with some $3.50 beers (thanks Ted/Terry), and walking into the foyer was like going to a funeral as everyone around 6:30 thought the deal was dead and he said no-way. The dejection was palpable. I actually felt bad.

Could you imagine if this deal fell through.....and a guy like me just wanted to be an a-hole? It would have been open season for me to initiate the first Sabrespace murder/suicide.

Yesterday was an all-in sort of moment, and it was tense....but worked out. I'm glad because I can honestly be positive because I am..... instead of being told to be positive.

The entire situation was so confusing that I held off on making a comment until it was official...official.

I went to the draft party at the arena yesterday to pregame with some $3.50 beers (thanks Ted/Terry), and walking into the foyer was like going to a funeral as everyone around 6:30 thought the deal was dead and he said no-way. The dejection was palpable. I actually felt bad.

Could you imagine if this deal fell through.....and a guy like me just wanted to be an a-hole? It would have been open season for me to initiate the first Sabrespace murder/suicide.

Yesterday was an all-in sort of moment, and it was tense....but worked out. I'm glad because I can honestly be positive because I am..... instead of being told to be positive.

You've already come close.

Yes, this is my olive branch.

I think this can be an example of both guys improving their situation. Regehr suddenly becomes a mentor and as viewed as a leader on a team that doesn't have an Iginla. His style will stand out here while in Calgary their physical D wasn't as much of an issue as it was overpaying skilled guys up front that screwed the pooch. Regehr has offensive upside and I could see him playing a nice role on the PP and maybe squeaking out 35-40 points if he really starts feeling his oats here.

Butler seems like he needs a leader to show him how to do it. He'd start to figure something out...screw up...then back off. The Philly OT goal was a perfect example. He stood there playing paddy-cake as Lieno scored. Unacceptable. It should be built into your DNA as a defenseman to kill that guy 1st and ask questions later. He took a bad penalty when he shouldn't have then became passive when anything goes. I think he will do well to leave Lindy and he has a few guys to learn from in Calgary.

Love your enthusiasm Ghost but I don't think he's known for his offensive upside at the least (correct me if I'm wrong). His trait is to be a shut down Dman and he's one of the best at it. He only has a total of 4 goals in the past three seasons combined and has not topped 17 points per season during the past 3 years. 35-40 is pushing it I think.

I think every single person on this board forgot how good Butler was when he first came up. He has significant value.

No, Señor Contrarian, I didn't forget. I watched Butler dominate with DU and put up a 20-point-in-60-game sophomore season with the Sabres. He was a great pickup in the 4th round and he's developed pretty well.

But the fact is that, counting Butler, Regehr, the three RFAs and UFA Montador, we have nine defensemen on the roster AND we have a large pool of talented defensive prospects (Pysyk, McNabb, Scheistel, Gauthier-Leduc, Brennan, Mackenzie, Persson, Crawford, Biega). Yes, we lose Butler. But we had to trade Calgary something for their defensive leader and the difference between Butler and say Pysyk-in-two-years is an easy price to pay.

Hell, if you break down the trade, I would think that if we're really confident in our D prospects, it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to exchange Chris Butler (former 4th round pick) for a 2nd round pick. If that's fair, the remainder of the trade follows:

Paul Byron (former 6th round pick) <-> Robyn Regher (top shutdown D man and on-ice leader) + Ales Kotalik (future Rochester superstar)

And if that's not grand larceny, I don't know what is. (And I liked Byron's play, too.)

Not everyone. And I agree with Ghost, I could see Byron being a decent third liner. Still love the trade, but Butler and Byron aren't stiffs.

They're decent players, but in this deal, Darcy essentially retained all of his real bargaining chips. If there is more wheeling and dealing to come, he's got plenty of ammo. These are exciting times.

basically we traded a defender and center with potential for a proven vet and then we will pay 3million for a 2nd round pick we acquired when Kotalik sits in rochester.

Awesome trade, i think it helps a lot but I am still seeing if they are doing more. If not through trades than i wonder about UFA.... interesting times.

You've already come close.

Yes, this is my olive branch.

Your branch is thick and plentiful, and I devour your salty olives with glee

Love your enthusiasm Ghost but I don't think he's known for his offensive upside at the least (correct me if I'm wrong). His trait is to be a shut down Dman and he's one of the best at it. He only has a total of 4 goals in the past three seasons combined and has not topped 17 points per season during the past 3 years. 35-40 is pushing it I think.

I understand his strong suit....but Darcy liked this guy going all the way back to the draft because of his skill for such a big guy. I don't expect a giant offensive year, but for a vet to be put in a refreshing environment when he still has plenty in the tank....it can be like a contract year where results just start feeding on themselves.

I would have guessed you were going to make a comment about the sentence before the one you bolded. :)

Like Sasha Grey, there are only a few a-holes willing to take on a dozen d###s at a time, and where everyone else is excited to watch it happen.

Dammit, quit being so positive!

;)

The Bills new powder blue home jersey being introduced the same day as NYS passes gay marriage is the perfect fit.......There ya go!

Your branch is thick and plentiful, and I devour your salty olives with glee

I understand his strong suit....but Darcy liked this guy going all the way back to the draft because of his skill for such a big guy. I don't expect a giant offensive year, but for a vet to be put in a refreshing environment when he still has plenty in the tank....it can be like a contract year where results just start feeding on themselves.

Like Sasha Grey, there are only a few a-holes willing to take on a dozen d###s at a time, and where everyone else is excited to watch it happen.

The Bills new powder blue home jersey being introduced the same day as NYS passes gay marriage is the perfect fit.......There ya go!

Royal blue, not powder blue.

PTR

I'm so glad you didn't actually go away.

If he didn't go and target one of the two players in the league who I thought made the most sense to actually change the on-ice culture....I would stay away because there is a valid point in me being counter-productive to the gleeful mainstream. The marginal utility of my own amusement was running thin.

Must be French royalty then.

No, it's the lighting when they take a flash photo. IT makes royal blue look much lighter than it is. The same thing happened when they debuted the 2002 unis and everyone thought we had powder blue numbers from the 1st photos.

This is def not powder blue:

NJStevieJohnsonJerseyReebokHomeReplicaBuffaloBillsJerseyfront.1.jpg

No, it's the lighting when they take a flash photo. IT makes royal blue look much lighter than it is. The same thing happened when they debuted the 2002 unis and everyone thought we had powder blue numbers from the 1st photos.

This is def not powder blue:

post-1-000381500 1309033326_thumb.jpg

Darn...Only if Steve Johnson would of had that jersey on that sunday against the Steelers.Would he still have blamed god for the drop? :unsure:

Could this be the beginning of the end of the League of Miserable Superheros? By the way where's PA been?

Archived