Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

My guess is the Flames got caught asleep at the wheel--trying to make salary cap room to land Smyth only to have him picked off while Regehr "absorbed".

This had nothing to do with Smyth, they needed to dump salary (and NMC's) this offseason to have the space to re-sign guys and replace others through FA's. There was too much deadweight large contracts on this roster that are holding them back, unfortunatly when you get into those situations, you usually have to move guys you don't want to (Regehr) because no one wants the guys holding you back with huge deals (Bouwmeester). in these deals you usually get little back in returns of value besides picks and some potential in prospects, but you can usually get the other team to take one of your smaller problems off your hands too (why Kotalik was thrown in)

Boyes played a big part in them getting into the playoffs. He sputtered after moving to center and clearly disappointed in the playoffs, but he did as well as most, if not all other players moved at this deadline.

I liked the Boyes deal then and I still do.

ha ha Horton was the consummate defenseman. If you've never seen him play, you missed an artist. He played for many years in Toronto before Imlach brought him here. He would never attend training camp (which he hated) but showed up ready to play game one. Tragic that he died so suddenly on the Queen E. And I'm sure you know that his number (2) is retired by the club.

If Regehr plays nearly as well, we will all be happy campers. I think he will.

Yeah, i know who Tim Horton is, it was a joke.

I never had a chance to see him play, he was gone 8 years before I was born (he died 37 years ago??) I know the area that he died, my boss remembers the night, and he remembers going to the auto wrecker about a day later and seeing the mangled car from the accident

Let me put it this way...would you rather have Feaster?

I will cut Feaster some slack, he has only had the position for less then 6 months, it was Sutter that got them into this mess wi8th these deals. Although if they were truly going after Smyth, and not just to keep him away from the Oilers, I would start to question his direction with the team

Amazing how Darcy goes from bum to hero in a matter of hours. He's been denigrated for months now by the media and a lot of people on here. Now he's wonderful again. Go figure.

Anyway, I want to repeat what another blogger wrote here yesterday because I think it was an excellent insight. Regehr changed his tune right after SJ traded for Burns. It seems very obvious that SJ was his preferred destination and they were looking for a good Dman. When it wasn't him, he decided to come here.

It was a good insight that smacks of truth to me.

Wait, you're born and raised out west and the choice is San Jose or Buffalo?

Hmm, smacks of truth to me too and I live here in Cheektowaga and would choose San Jose too. Wouldn't you?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.

So you're judging Feaster on this one deal? I'm not willing to call Darcy a genius on this one deal so I obviously wouldn't roast Feaster based on this one deal.

I don't think that the deal looks that bad on Feaster. He moved a guy who needed a change of scenery and was becoming stale in Calgary, and he dumped a bad deal/salary for 2 players. The 2nd round pick was probably just for the Sabres taking Kotaliks contract off their hands. Theres not much Feaster can do, he is in a bad situation and has to unload salary to gain some space to try and fix the team.

Yeah, i know who Tim Horton is, it was a joke.

I never had a chance to see him play, he was gone 8 years before I was born (he died 37 years ago??) I know the area that he died, my boss remembers the night, and he remembers going to the auto wrecker about a day later and seeing the mangled car from the accident

I know it was a joke. I wasn't trying to insult you, it's just that I've seen a lot more hockey than many of you on this board and so thought I would share.

Wait, you're born and raised out west and the choice is San Jose or Buffalo? Hmm, smacks of truth to me too and I live here Cheektowaga and would choose San Jose too. Wouldn,t you?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.

Personally? No. I love snow!

Darcy interview with GR.

Darcy says he's still looking for D-men.

DR expects Kotes to compete for a position.

DR spoke to Butler this morning. Calgary wanted him in the trade.

Terry, Lindy and TPegs wife flying to Calgary to see Regehr's family in an hour.

I don't think that the deal looks that bad on Feaster. He moved a guy who needed a change of scenery and was becoming stale in Calgary, and he dumped a bad deal/salary for 2 players. The 2nd round pick was probably just for the Sabres taking Kotaliks contract off their hands. Theres not much Feaster can do, he is in a bad situation and has to unload salary to gain some space to try and fix the team.

It seems the Calgary fans don't agree with you. They're ready to lynch the guy to a man - not a single post defending him! I guess fans are the same everywhere.

You don't have to rely on faith. Regier has been the Sabres' GM for about 1/3 of their existence. He has a track record. You can judge him based on his performance.

This is a great trade but it's also his first great trade in 8 years. I *hope* that's because of Quinn/Golisano, but I'm not sure and we'll find out based on what he does moving forward from now.

Do you think Quinn/Golisano would have allowed Regier to take Kotalik off Calagary to make this deal? I don't. When Regier ran this team year during the Rigas time, he made great moves. I think he is a good GM when able to do his job with few restrictions.

Let me put it this way...would you rather have Feaster?

This is a great deal for Buffalo. I'm very happy about it. I'm extremely excited to get a defenseman of the ilk of Robyn Regehr. With Kotalik, we know exactly what we are getting, and he may not even be playing for the Sabres when all is said and done (he might be back with the Rochester American. Woohoo! Just to say Rochester Americans again).

Having said all that, Jay Feaster has won a Stanley Cup. That's one more than Darcy has won. And, while much of the Tampa team was built before he became GM, he was heavily involved in getting guys like Sydor, Andreychuk, Tim Taylor, Stillman, and a bunch of other guys that put that team over the top. Feaster should not be roasted for this deal as he has a plan, and simultaneously Regier should not be toasted as we are yet to see the results that come from this trade. Overall, as a Sabres fan, I'm thrilled with this and as a Flames fan, it will be interesting to see what Feaster has in store. That's what I think.

I am completely dumbfounded. I'm afraid we will go to jail for this. This has to be illegal.

Reminds me of Grosek and a pick for Gilmour and Dumont. Back before Darcy's hands were tied for a decade. Welcome back, Darcy.

Darcy interview with GR.

Terry, Lindy and TPegs wife flying to Calgary to see Regehr's family in an hour.

That's awesome.

Darcy interview with GR.

Are you serious? Remember this franchise one year ago today? What influence one man can have on entire franchise! Obviously work is still needed but TPegs has delivered on everything he has publically stated thus far.

Darcy interview with GR.

How many owners do that? Talk about rolling out the red carpet to welcome a guy in. T pegs will change the attitude of players around the league towards playing in the city of Buffalo come hell or high water.

So you're judging Feaster on this one deal? I'm not willing to call Darcy a genius on this one deal so I obviously wouldn't roast Feaster based on this one deal.

Feaster did a good job. He freed up some cap space and picked up a NHL ready defenseman and a prospect. I would expect Calgary to shed some more salary if possible. Maybe they should call Florida. :rolleyes:

Darcy interview with GR.

... Terry, Lindy and TPegs wife flying to Calgary to see Regehr's family in an hour.

This is what makes the Sabres a first class organization now. Great move by the FO.

And thanks, chz, for staying on top of the story. I couldn't take much more of the general tenor of the posts in the thread so I just looked for your handle and only read your posts to follow the situation. Greatly appreciated.

GO SABRES!!!

This is what makes the Sabres a first class organization now. Great move by the FO.

And thanks, chz, for staying on top of the story. I couldn't take much more of the general tenor of the posts in the thread so I just looked for your handle and only read your posts to follow the situation. Greatly appreciated.

GO SABRES!!!

Thanx. Gets a little hairy at times.

Archived