Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

If he didn't go and target one of the two players in the league who I thought made the most sense to actually change the on-ice culture....I would stay away because there is a valid point in me being counter-productive to the gleeful mainstream. The marginal utility of my own amusement was running thin.

So who is the other player?

this deal shows the importance of a good owner.....

first it started with the alumni pagula palooza, which made an impression on one Rhett Warrener, who happened to be the first call Regerh made to ask about the sabres. Rhett spoke highly of the sabres and encouraged him to go.

next Terry and Kim Pegula , along with Lindy Ruff fly up to Regehr's summer home:

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/25/persistence-sold-regehr-on-sabres

and the first of what i'm sure will be many free agents WANTED to come to buffalo.

as far as the deal itself, the sabres really made out. First of all they got far and away the best player in the deal. a solid shutdown defenseman. don't know if any of you guys saw it , but Tyler Meyers when he first got drafted a couple years back, named Regerh as his favorite player. expect that pairing. Butler was an average at best defenseman who played poorly in the philly series. Byron is another little guy, who won't be missed. sure, eating Kotaliks $3 mil hurts, but all in all, a great deal for the sabres. makes ya wonder if Darcy is going to rewrite history with the financial schackles being lifted.....god i hope so......this is a great start.

Holy sh!t -- looks like I went to bed about 30 min. too early last night!! I was really starting to think this deal wasn't gonna happen, although just the fact that they tried is huge. Awesome job by Darcy and Terry; can't wait to see Regehr in the blue and gold. And welcome back, Drane. :thumbsup:

I think every single person on this board forgot how good Butler was when he first came up. He has significant value.

I agree - he has showed potential and has value. So far, he has not lived up to it but may well do so. He is still very young. Calgary gets a good prospect in Butler. In the meantime, the Sabres get a player who can help them win now. The Sabres are deep in defensive propects - they needed a defensive lead now. Great deal for the Sabres no matter how well Butler plays in the future. I wish him well, but the fact is, he was spare part on a team deep in young defensemen.

Someone else mentioned him too later on, but this trade was sitting there with a giant bullseye on it, flashing in neon lights for Darcy to call.

It would be interesting to know if Iginla was brought up at all. We still paid our top 7 forwards $32 million last year, and not a one of them are of any physical concern to the other team.

I trust Lindy coaching a team built from Goalie out, with physically responsible guys on D, more than I do the other way around. Now if Lindy can have confidence that his D won't back down, and be defensively responsible as tandems....maybe he will stop worrying about defense first from his forwards, and allow them to pressure and punish...if you get the right guys in here up front.

This was a great first sign, and Pegula is like a kid in a candy store without his Ritalin......but there is still plenty of status quo that needs to be revamped. At least this is a signal to me that maybe they understand that. It will be fun to have expectations again...if they can keep figuring it out.

That would be me. It's tough to see West coast guys. Good heads up DD.

The Calgary fans are still complaining. I'd like to share this one with you:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherGuy View Post

Welcome to the Salary Cap world of hockey. Trading 7 million of salary for 600 thousand of salary does have a price.

And the price is apparently being mounted and raped by a Buffalo.

Really funny, although I do feel sorry for them. I always liked Butler. He can become a 4th Dman on the depth chart of most teams if he develops to his max.

Welcome to the Salary Cap world of hockey. Trading 7 million of salary for 600 thousand of salary does have a price.

Really funny, although I do feel sorry for them. I always liked Butler. He can become a 4th Dman on the depth chart of most teams if he develops to his max.

LMAO, thanks Bullwinkle...

Its kind of the way we've always felt being small market and watching guys leave Buffalo once they developed into the players that could help the team. It really used to blow watching talent leave and never being able to bring talent in because of money constraints but now we seem to be on the other side and damn it feels good. Ya gotta feel for the other guys though being that we were in that boat for what seemed like an eternity.

I think every single person on this board forgot how good Butler was when he first came up. He has significant value.

I liked Butler a lot. He was just getting too many minutes in the Philly series, imho.

I liked Butler but I had him below Weber (better addressed our need for size and nasty) and MAG (better scoring threat) on my depth chart. Byron is the same way. No way he develops into and NHL center. So I had him well behind Ennis and Gerbe on the small guys who work really hard depth chart. Basically TPegs spent $3M cash that doesn't need to hit the cap to upgrade butler to Regher and turn Byron into a 2nd round pick (also an upgrade IMO). Regardless of how bad this trade was for CGY, it was a Awesome for the sabres. Positives all around and no real negatives as far as asset values and on ice performance. The next week is going to be. Amazing.

I like Butler and would not have been surprised to see him eventually earn a permanent spot on the team. I think Calgary is getting a NHL ready defenseman with decent potential. Maybe whoever was in their organization when they drafted Regehr is still there and can help Butler develop a mean streak. Regardless I think Butler is a good pick up for Calgary and obviously the cap space they cleared is going to go a long way. (For the sake of Calgary fans, I hope Edmonton gets Ryan Smyth because I believe he's vastly over rated and wouldn't really help CGY at all.)

However, it was a no brainer for the Sabres that Butler was the odd man out. Word is that "Calgary wanted Butler" which to me suggests they asked for him specifically or preferred him over another option or two (maybe Sekera or Morrisson). So it works out for both teams. I really like Weber and right now I'd put him towards the top of our depth chart, so I'm glad we were able to keep him. I think Regehr and Weber would be a NASTY shut down pair, but you could swap Myers in for either one and be just as effective -- my preference would be not to put our best two defensemen on the same pairing.

As for Kotalik, I'm not super excited about him coming back but he did have his best years here and at the very least it adds depth. I'm happy that they intend to allow him to compete for a roster spot, because you never know what can happen, but I think he'll end up in Rochester. And we'll be better off for it, because 30-40 games into the season when one of our Top 6 goes down with injury, we won't have to shuffle guys around and have third/fourth liners or 18-20 year old prospects coming in and being expected play on line 1 or 2 -- we can simply sub Kotalik in and know he's at least capable of holding down the fort for a few days.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that IF Kotalik cracks the lineup, he returns to the old Kotalik and puts up hmm 22 goals. After all it is a contract year for him. He knows if he doesn't produce he won't get a nice payday again.

Hmmm...I'm thinking he'll start the year in Rochester and get a few call ups throughout the year. Maybe play in about 20-25 games, maybe grab 8-10 goals. I wonder if this seals the fate of Mancari.

Hmmm...I'm thinking he'll start the year in Rochester and get a few call ups throughout the year. Maybe play in about 20-25 games, maybe grab 8-10 goals. I wonder if this seals the fate of Mancari.

I would think it most certainly does.

PS I want to see Kotalik play the point on the PP and bomb on timers like its 2005-06 again (I know it won't happen but those were good times)

This is much more likely, IMO. I saw him play against the Monsters this season after Calgary demoted him to Abbotsford and he looked exactly the same - reluctant to play with his size, disinterested away from the puck, floating around a lot. I don't know what it will take for him to take advantage of his natural talents.

BTW, I love this trade, and as others have pointed out - I love the persistence of T-Pegs and co. to get their man. Between this type of move it looks to me like Pegula is working hard to fix things that were either neglected, broken, or ignored by Rigas/Golisano (or things that they decided they could live without and/or didn't want to pay to fix). I like the new attitude and direction a lot.

This is much more likely, IMO. I saw him play against the Monsters this season after Calgary demoted him to Abbotsford and he looked exactly the same - reluctant to play with his size, disinterested away from the puck, floating around a lot. I don't know what it will take for him to take advantage of his natural talents.

BTW, I love this trade, and as others have pointed out - I love the persistence of T-Pegs and co. to get their man. Between this type of move it looks to me like Pegula is working hard to fix things that were either neglected, broken, or ignored by Rigas/Golisano (or things that they decided they could live without and/or didn't want to pay to fix). I like the new attitude and direction a lot.

Yes...agreed.

It also fails to explain why Darcy is talking to Connolly's agent. :thumbdown: Are they honestly going to tell the fans Timmy is the best Center option available for the 3rd line? Really?

I generally agree here, especially with regard to the fate of Mancari. Kotalik and Mancari are basically the same player. Both are big with lots of size and neither one uses it, both have huge slap shots, and both float around the ice. If you have Kotalik, what do you need Mancari for?

The only difference is that this team knows what they are getting with Kotalik, and I think they know how to use him, certainly a lot better than the Rangers or Flames. I believe the rumor floating around was Matt Stajan as part of the Regehr trade, and I bet Darcy chose Kotalik as opposed to Stajan as the salary cap dump to take on from the Flames because they know what they are getting with him and they know how to utilize him.

If I had to bet, I anticipate that Kotalik will make the Sabres, but will be a spare on the fourth line and a healthy scratch a bunch. He'll be utilized as someone with few minutes, PP time, and of course he'll be the first shooter in the shootout. He's not very good at much as a hockey player, but boy he's got a cannon for a slap shot and is a shootout stud. Personally, I always liked Kotalik because he was a very consistent 20 goal scorer for the Sabres and won many a shootout by himself, but at the same time he was so frustrating because he was so disinterested, never used his size, and was terrible in the defensive zone. Either way, if taking on Kotalik is the cost to get Regehr, then this trade was worth it in my mind especially given what the Sabres had to give up which was very little.

I generally agree here, especially with regard to the fate of Mancari. Kotalik and Mancari are basically the same player. Both are big with lots of size and neither one uses it, both have huge slap shots, and both float around the ice. If you have Kotalik, what do you need Mancari for?

The only difference is that this team knows what they are getting with Kotalik, and I think they know how to use him, certainly a lot better than the Rangers or Flames. I believe the rumor floating around was Matt Stajan as part of the Regehr trade, and I bet Darcy chose Kotalik as opposed to Stajan as the salary cap dump to take on from the Flames because they know what they are getting with him and they know how to utilize him.

If I had to bet, I anticipate that Kotalik will make the Sabres, but will be a spare on the fourth line and a healthy scratch a bunch. He'll be utilized as someone with few minutes, PP time, and of course he'll be the first shooter in the shootout. He's not very good at much as a hockey player, but boy he's got a cannon for a slap shot and is a shootout stud. Personally, I always liked Kotalik because he was a very consistent 20 goal scorer for the Sabres and won many a shootout by himself, but at the same time he was so frustrating because he was so disinterested, never used his size, and was terrible in the defensive zone. Either way, if taking on Kotalik is the cost to get Regehr, then this trade was worth it in my mind especially given what the Sabres had to give up which was very little.

Maybe people like Grier possibly as a development coach, Adams and whoever our new ASST Coach is will be able to get a lot of Kotalik. Who knows.

Yes...agreed.

It also fails to explain why Darcy is talking to Connolly's agent. :thumbdown: Are they honestly going to tell the fans Timmy is the best Center option available for the 3rd line? Really?

I know not many will agree but he probably is the best option for third line center if we sign him for cheap... which based on his injuries and point production I imagine he would not be reluctant to sign a low-money deal. admittedly I haven't paid much attention to the majority of the UFA centers -- they're not big names so idk exactly how good they are, but ALL of them are going to be paid more than they're worth, and frankly most of them will probably be paid more than Connolly. And I'm NOT so sure that any of them are better PKers than TC. As a two-way forward TC makes perfect sense on the third line.

still lacking that first liner though.

I know not many will agree but he probably is the best option for third line center if we sign him for cheap... which based on his injuries and point production I imagine he would not be reluctant to sign a low-money deal. admittedly I haven't paid much attention to the majority of the UFA centers -- they're not big names so idk exactly how good they are, but ALL of them are going to be paid more than they're worth, and frankly most of them will probably be paid more than Connolly. And I'm NOT so sure that any of them are better PKers than TC. As a two-way forward TC makes perfect sense on the third line.

still lacking that first liner though.

I see where you are coming from and I like some of Timmy's game. But I really think it's time to move on. If it means spending 2 mil more per year to get a different player, do it. I've heard stories from multiple people who have run into Connolly in bars and even charity events stating that the guy is a complete weirdo and spends his time getting drunk and complaining that his life sucks.

As much as i hate to say it, Connolly is probably the best option for a third liner we have right now fiscally speaking. I would rather pay TC 3 mil a year for a year or two until we can get someone better, than sign Laich for an inflated contract to a long term deal. As much as people dislike timmy (i'm not a huge fan myself) he's not a bad interim option right now. especially if it keeps a little extra cap open in case we need it to entice Brad Richards, or some other free agent.

It could also be a sign and trade deal, so you never no. Similar to the Setoguchi trade by san jose last night.

Archived