Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

In other words, he's being judged based on performance.

This is the best trade he's made since 2003 (Drury). Most of his trades over the past 8 years have been pretty lousy.

This trade, though, is outstanding. I would have been happy just trading Butler and Byron for a 2nd round pick as neither seems to have much of a future in Buffalo. Getting Regehr is awesome (adds a good player and leadership) and I'll take Kotalik and just hope for the best.

No, either you have faith in the guy or you don't. You either think he is a poor, average, good, or excellent GM. No one makes impeccable trades day in and day out because no one can tell the future. But the general opinion of him has been that he is incompetent. It's that opinion I'm addressing.

My guess is the Flames got caught asleep at the wheel--trying to make salary cap room to land Smyth only to have him picked off while Regehr "absorbed".

Calgary had to get younger. They have zero in their system coming up so that is why they made this move. Smyth is too old and makes too much. Calgary made a good move by getting two young players. I had a mini heart attack when one report had Ennis going the other way. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

No, either you have faith in the guy or you don't. You either think he is a poor, average, good, or excellent GM. No one makes impeccable trades day in and day out because no one can tell the future. But the general opinion of him has been that he is incompetent. It's that opinion I'm addressing.

Which one of the last three trade deadline deals have you liked?

Incompetent? More like shackled... He was never allowed to do what he is allowed to do now. I think this is a great deal, more a robbery than anything. Even with getting Ales back. Too high a price tag for a special teamer...

Calgary had to get younger. They have zero in their system coming up so that is why they made this move. Smyth is too old and makes too much. Calgary made a good move by getting two young players. I had a mini heart attack when one report had Ennis going the other way. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

I don't think Ennis is a given to be on the Sabres 2011/2012 squad. More moves coming. I love the kid though.

As for Calgary, I think Butler starts for them this year but wonder if Byron will ever be a third liner anywhere?

You don't have to rely on faith. Regier has been the Sabres' GM for about 1/3 of their existence. He has a track record. You can judge him based on his performance.

This is a great trade but it's also his first great trade in 8 years. I *hope* that's because of Quinn/Golisano, but I'm not sure and we'll find out based on what he does moving forward from now.

Which one of the last three trade deadline deals have you liked?

Boyes played a big part in them getting into the playoffs. He sputtered after moving to center and clearly disappointed in the playoffs, but he did as well as most, if not all other players moved at this deadline.

I don't know anything at all about Regehr, is he "ok," "good," or "Really good"?

According to the reaction around here, more like "God Like", and according to the Calgary site, "Much better then Byron and Butler and getting cap space for getting rid of Kotalik"

But lets all sit back and wait before we start calling Darcy a "genius" again. Its only one move. Regehr is good, but he has played 11 seasons in the NHL and plays a very physical game and blocks shots. Who knows how long he can have left playing very physical.

This was definitly a good move, but lets be realistic, its not like Regier just picked up Stamkos and St. Louis for Connolly's rights and Hecht

Boyes played a big part in them getting into the playoffs. He sputtered after moving to center and clearly disappointed in the playoffs, but he did as well as most, if not all other players moved at this deadline.

Boyes had some good moments when he was playing with Vanek.

He had four points (all assists) in our last 7 regular season games, and three of those came in Columbus the day after we clinched against Philly.

He did have 14 points in the last 21 games (March and April) though, so he was definitely a step up from our previous trade deadline deals.

I had high hopes for Boyes...until he turned out to be just like 90% of the current roster. I hope he turns it around once he's back on a wing regularly but right now, he looks like a 4M anchor and takes us out of the second round today.

Now I know as a Sabres fan I should never say something like this but we're still very much alive in the Richards race. The cap hit for Regehr does very little now that the cap is higher.

I hope not. I'd rather have a guy that's not going to be THAT over priced. Take a run at someone through trade that we can seduce to love the city so we don't have to overpay that much.

Regier says he will not buy out final year of Ales Kotalik's deal. "We expect him to compete for a job." -Spector

Like I said, I'd love to see him show some cojones and show up at camp a la Stafford and Roy this last year and earn a spot. It doesn't mean he doesn't end up in Rochester at the end of the day (and like I said, buying him out is silly when you have Rochester there)

As for fleecing, as it's been said by others, I liked the deal when we were losing the pick. I love it now that we're getting a pick. And, for the record, Butler was a 4th Round pick and Byron was a 6th. I know we've gotten some great late round picks that matured into guys like Miller and the Panthers' Original Soupy Campbell (I cringed when the Bruins GM called their Campbell 'Soupy').

He makes Canada's favorite coffee? No wonder fans and teammates loved this guy. Atleast he will be the lockerroom favorite around here. Maybe it was part of Pegulia's lockerroom upgrade to go with the carpet? They now have new carpeting and a coffee maker!

ha ha Horton was the consummate defenseman. If you've never seen him play, you missed an artist. He played for many years in Toronto before Imlach brought him here. He would never attend training camp (which he hated) but showed up ready to play game one. Tragic that he died so suddenly on the Queen E. And I'm sure you know that his number (2) is retired by the club.

If Regehr plays nearly as well, we will all be happy campers. I think he will.

Archived