GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Statistically speaking, this is an average Miller season. The first half of last season was the aberration. As Darcy said, the Sabres benefited from it being an Olympic season.

Funny thing is if Thomas had not had a hip injury, he most likely would have been the starting USA Olympic goalie and relegated Miller to backup. We will never know but we may have very well won the gold with a healthy Thomas in net.

Funny thing is if Thomas had not had a hip injury, he most likely would have been the starting USA Olympic goalie and relegated Miller to backup. We will never know but we may have very well won the gold with a healthy Thomas in net.

We will never know but we may have very well won the bronze medal with a healthy Thomas in net.

GO SABRES!!!

Your right man........Never go Full PA...... :beer:

:beer:

And for PA - not a shot at all. Just a reminder that you and I have butted heads more than once in the past on that topic. :beer: for you too.

You shouldn't think that.

GO SABRES!!!

:lol:

Random thoughts:

Vanek - you HAVE to score some goals. You have been getting glorious opportunities and are letting them slip by. Gotta convert!

I only blame Miller for goal #2. He should have covered the puck. Let me ask this, why was that guy allowed to whack at it so many times? Why wasn't he deposited into the 3rd row?

Sekera is back to his old self. Bad passes and fumbling the puck at inopportune times.

Gerbe and Ennis are for real. I love their heart and desire, which is paying off for both of them.

Stafford is invisible again.

Connolly needs to shoot more.

I hope this isn't a spirit-crushing game for the team.

Good post.

will be interesting he seemed out of position all night long and gave up lots of rebounds. Lindy should have played Enroth tonight. Miller skating off as he did right past the entire team was a bad optic as my boss would say

I mentioned this in the GDT last night. Second night of a back-to-back, an earlier start time, and a couple softies let in yesterday. Today's game screamed "PLAY ENROTH" and Lindy wouldn't or couldn't bring himself to do it.

Being aware of my limited number of posts, I am practically scared __itless that the "senior" posters are going to drill me for making an observation. But here goes anyway.

Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of (1) Lindy playing prevent defense for 15 minutes when we have the lead, and (2) the Sabres having no one capable of burying the 'killer' goal on this team?

P.S. Some of us read a lot of posts but don't feel compelled to write 30,000 of them ourselves.

I respect everyone's opinion and thought(s)...but what does 10 forum posts or 10,000 forum posts have to do with someone's credibility and knowledge on how to react to a game? So what if they are new to a forum, doesnt make their reaction any less of a "rank" or "level" to someone who has thousands of posts.

It's honestly pretty sad in my opinion that you would dis-credit someone's opinion based on number of forum posts.

I agree 100% the blame game is just for arguing and discussion purposes.

Move on and get ready for the next game.

You've got some nerve, Mr. Johnny Come Lately. You think your puny 20 posts entitles you offer up drivel like this? How dare you. Why, if I had the requisite number of posts, I'd tell you where to get off.

GO SABRES!!!

I've never been one to attack the newbie. We have someone here who's pretty famous for doing that, and I'm always shocked when it happens. I won't call this person out.

Honestly, I don't often look at the post count when reading the board.

Here's my take (assuming you aren't singling me out for attacking newbies) - I feel like we have a pretty tight-knit community with a lot of longtime, regular posters, and there is an expectation of a certain level of discourse. I don't think anyone knocks anyone with an opinion, it's how you present it - you come in flaming, attacking and acting like a jackass, you're gonna get called on it. Otherwise it's always good to see more Sabres fans join the board.

Please understand that Hasek is a once in a generation type goaltender. During his prime he was one of the best ever. We were spoiled with him. IMO Miller is an above average goaltender who is having a bit of a down year. At 6.5 per he's not a bargin but there's no point in complaining about what he's paid. His contract is what it is.

THANK YOU.

Agreed that the entire team has been inconsistent.

But I'd suggest that Miller has been inconsistent right from the day he first assumed starter duties. And Corsi has been his coach for that entire time. Last season was an exception IMO.

I've raised that point in the past. I am interested to see if it is Corsi. Looking past Miller you have Biron, Noronen, who else who never really became what we thought they'd be or wiped out inconsistency in their game?

Damn the end of this game. Almost made me forget about a hilarious Gerbe moment in the third. Someone had him lined up along the far wall. Just as he was about to hit him, Gerbe slid to the side. The hitter only got glass. Very cartoonish.

Gerbe is fun to watch. His shift before his goal was one of the best of the season.

He's starting to drive opponents crazy.

Damn the end of this game. Almost made me forget about a hilarious Gerbe moment in the third. Someone had him lined up along the far wall. Just as he was about to hit him, Gerbe slid to the side. The hitter only got glass. Very cartoonish.

Gerbe is fun to watch. His shift before his goal was one of the best of the season.

He's starting to drive opponents crazy.

Love Gerbe's energy everytime he is on the ice.

Hey Newbie. Up to 24 posts now. You are what they call "prolific."

Have a question about your avatar. Is that Ultra Man? I remember the day ch. 29 came on the air and their initial programming seemed to consist of their "Good News Capsule" and Ultra Man reruns. I haven't seen Ultra Man since I was a little kid.

GO SABRES!!!

Ultraman it is! A great series I watched religiously as a kid. I've lived in a few other cities and traveled a lot for my job, and I am hard pressed to find anyone outside the broadcast reach of Channel 29 who has ever seen the darn show. But people in Buffalo with an appropriate up-bringing --- think Stooges, Batman (with Adam West and Burt Ward), Warner Brothers cartoons, Ultraman, Prince Planet, and Commander Tom) --- know who the guy with the football-shaped head is.

I'll never forget the episode in which he was defeated. It was devastating.

Let's be realistic here - this is what nearly ALL message boards are like, regardless of the concentration and topics therein. Message boards are about the here-and-now. Since this is a Sabres message board, let's use them as the object of an example:

You're at a friend's house with 5 or 6 buds watching a game. If it's a game like the Thrashers game last night, you're all high-fiving each other, toasting beers, cheering, whooping, whatever - enjoying the moment with various exclamations of "ENNIS IS ON FIRE!" "TAKE THAT BEAT-DOWN, YOU SOUTHERN-HICK-WANNA-BE-NHL TEAM!" "OH MAN, VANEK JUST MISSED THAT - BUT HE STILL ROCKS! AND SHOULD BE CAPTAIN!"

Few people are going to ruin the mood by piping in with "well, this is just an aberration, the team is statistically average at best, and may still not make the playoffs."

That same applies to message boards, especially in threads about a game that is occurring at the very moment people are gathered on the forum and posting.

To come into a thread like this, and making like the game and emotions don't exist, or that one, the other, or both are overblown, is really just pompous and, frankly, contrived. Whoever does this clearly misses the entire point, and in some respects is like a thread troll IMHO.

If you want to conduct a more reasoned overview of the season, the team, and the attendant issues, then I would suggest that the game-day thread, especially, is really not the place to do that because the aforementioned reasons.

Nice perspective. People seem to forget that message boards are to react to whats happening now. :thumbsup:

Let's be realistic here - this is what nearly ALL message boards are like, regardless of the concentration and topics therein. Message boards are about the here-and-now. Since this is a Sabres message board, let's use them as the object of an example:

You're at a friend's house with 5 or 6 buds watching a game. If it's a game like the Thrashers game last night, you're all high-fiving each other, toasting beers, cheering, whooping, whatever - enjoying the moment with various exclamations of "ENNIS IS ON FIRE!" "TAKE THAT BEAT-DOWN, YOU SOUTHERN-HICK-WANNA-BE-NHL TEAM!" "OH MAN, VANEK JUST MISSED THAT - BUT HE STILL ROCKS! AND SHOULD BE CAPTAIN!"

Few people are going to ruin the mood by piping in with "well, this is just an aberration, the team is statistically average at best, and may still not make the playoffs."

That same applies to message boards, especially in threads about a game that is occurring at the very moment people are gathered on the forum and posting.

To come into a thread like this, and making like the game and emotions don't exist, or that one, the other, or both are overblown, is really just pompous and, frankly, contrived. Whoever does this clearly misses the entire point, and in some respects is like a thread troll IMHO.

If you want to conduct a more reasoned overview of the season, the team, and the attendant issues, then I would suggest that the game-day thread, especially, is really not the place to do that because the aforementioned reasons.

Since we're using the word "overblown..."

I don't mind, but I don't really understand either. I didn't mean that this game changed my thoughts on whether or not Ruff should get mentioned, I just meant the timing wouldn't be right for the article now. He should be in the conversation. :thumbsup:

People want to talk about how great of a coaching job Dan Bylsma has done, and how great of a coaching job Lemaire has done. Pittsburgh was on fire to start the season but I honestly believe HBO's 24/7 really stirred up the whole "Bylsma for coach of the year" thing -- without getting the inside look at him coaching I bet he doesn't get nearly as much mention. Throughout the mini-series he came off as very professional and a smart guy. But where are they without Crosby and Malkin? They aren't even the same team and their record has shown it in their absence.

Then you have Lemaire, who came in and single-handedly righted the ship in Jersey. He turned what was looking like a disastrous signing in Kovalchuk back into a great okay deal, as Kovie is producing on the scoresheet like we all knew he could. They're also playing defensively sound and getting scoring from roleplayers in Parise's absence. They've been on a remarkable run since December. A lot of hockey people say if Jersey makes playoffs, Lemaire is practically a shoe-in for the award.

Then there's Lindy Ruff, who's team got off to a start just a step above where Jersey was at. Reigning Calder Trophy winner Tyler Myers was feeling the sophomore slump. Andrej Sekera, Mike Weber, Chris Butler were coughing up pucks left and right in our own zone. Our offense had no stride. Down goes our leading scorer and how do we respond? By having the best winning percentage in the conference since Christmas. By creeping back into the playoff race, and then grabbing the reins and taking control of 8th place. Ruff has Myers playing the best hockey of his career over the last few weeks. Ruff has Vanek playing like a mad man and the leader we've hoped for him to be. Ruff has our defense straightened out, and has utilized the 7th/8th defenseman all season long to keep people fresh and keep people motivated. Most importantly Ruff has his team in a playoff position for now.

I'm not saying he should win, but he belongs in the conversation. People are blown away by what Jersey has accomplished but they've still got a big hill to climb if they're going to make playoffs. Buffalo was looking just as bleak early on and has gotten no recognition league-wide for their turn around. It's a black and white, night and day difference between this team we've watched since January 1st and the team we watched the first half the season. Ruff deserves the credit for that.

Well, your paragraph about timing tells me that I missed the point of your post, but--as much as I love Ruff--I still don't see him in the conversation for an Adams award this year. I'll leave that alone for here though.

If you consider conversing about a game by playing the blame game, then they aren't playing by the rules.

But as a fan, just putting the game behind you and forgetting about it is a hell of a lot easier than saying "(player) did this wrong and that...(player) is overrated....(player) is to blame for this"

Who cares? We cant change it...just look forward to the next game.

i cant wait to play got the smiles cup in the new kumbaya hockey league next year. this is a forum, and we are sports fans. the point of both are to be able to have ups and downs, and talking about and reacting to it is what brings fans together. with good there is bad.

maybe next time we win nobody talk about that graet vanek goal or miller save, because after all we dont control any of those things either. hell we werent even on the ice, so i wont smile with a win.

Well, your paragraph about timing tells me that I missed the point of your post, but--as much as I love Ruff--I still don't see him in the conversation for an Adams award this year. I'll leave that alone for here though.

What I meant about the timing -- it's hard to write an article about how a coach should be included in coach of the year talks after his team blows a 2 goals lead with 2 mins to go in the game.

Jack, don't take this as a personal attack, but this is exemplary of the manic attitude that seems to surface on this board pretty often. They're either world-beaters or the sh*ttiest team in the world. Ruff is either coach of the year, or should be fired. Miller is either back to Vezina form or choking. Etc.

In reality, this team is playoff-worthy and could make a run if it has the right matchups and a little bit of luck (and please, no one tell me that luck doesn't play a part in an NHL playoff run). But it's not a great team, and it's not a terrible team, either.

Similarly, while there's no way that this team could be in the position that it's in without Ruff, especially given the bad start and all of the injuries, he's not coach of the year this year and shouldn't be in the conversation.

It's a middle-of-the-road year for a team that rebuilt in two years to become division champs, had a bad playoff matchup (and didn't rise to the occasion), and is doing what it can to get back into things. If this were last year, no one would be panicking after 3 out of 4 points in less than 24 hours. It isn't last year, I know.

There's room for criticism just like there's room to be excited. But the "swing" in either direction on here gets a little silly from time to time.

Apologies in advance if using your post as the example offended you; it was just an example that got some thoughts moving.

EDIT: Looks like Dave Dryden made the same point while I was taking too long to type.

Sorry, but that's pure speculation, at best.

That's like saying if they'd traded for player X in the off-season, they'd be in third now.

Agree to disagree.

People want to talk about how great of a coaching job Dan Bylsma has done, and how great of a coaching job Lemaire has done. Pittsburgh was on fire to start the season but I honestly believe HBO's 24/7 really stirred up the whole "Bylsma for coach of the year" thing -- without getting the inside look at him coaching I bet he doesn't get nearly as much mention. Throughout the mini-series he came off as very professional and a smart guy. But where are they without Crosby and Malkin? They aren't even the same team and their record has shown it in their absence.

Bylsma is def. a top candidate.

Great job without two men, Crosby and Geno.

And I'll admit defeat on what I said earlier...

Statistically speaking, this is an average Miller season. The first half of last season was the aberration. As Darcy said, the Sabres benefited from it being an Olympic season.

OK. At this point, I believe that Miller's "normal" is somewhere between last year and this year. A bit Tim Thomas like. But why quibble?

You really do need to lay off that yellow snow. It seems to blind you of all thoughts except that Miller is close to the worse goalie on the planet. We get your point on last year's Vezina winner-- he stinks and he's not gonna win it this year. Please find a second crusade.

Bylsma is def. a top candidate.

Great job without two men, Crosby and Geno.

And I'll admit defeat on what I said earlier...

No defeat. It shows you are more open minded than many and willing to be persuaded. If everyone was like that, debate would be more fun. Diatribes clashing with diatribes is kind of boring and pointless IMO, and you see a bit too much of that sometimes.

There's a carpet like that at US Coast Guard Headquarters. Never once did I see a uniformed Coast Guardsman walk on the logo. We always walked around it. Civilian employees just walked right over it without thinking. Unless you're PART of the TEAM, you don't understand what that logo means.

If I were ever in the Sabres' locker room, I would NEVER walk on that logo. It means too much to me, but more importantly, it means too much to a lot of other people that have EARNED the right to wear it proudly.

Gerbe IS Buffalo. Gritty, seemingly too small to make the grade yet all heart. He drives the big guys nuts with the nonstop motor. Wish we had 20 Gerbes.

I'm really comming around on him. In November or December I thought he was just too small to play with the big boys. He wasn't scoring or really doing anything out there but wow what a 2011 he's having so far. He's probably one of our top five forwards now IMO. Inexcusable loss, but we got the point and they better be comming to play on Tuesday because Carolina and NY should win based on their opponent.

You really do need to lay off that yellow snow. It seems to blind you of all thoughts except that Miller is close to the worse goalie on the planet. We get your point on last year's Vezina winner-- he stinks and he's not gonna win it this year. Please find a second crusade.

Nope, I'm not a Miller fan and when he gaffs i'll say as much (I don't see you ragging on the Connolly haters, why not). If you don't like it don't read but don't tell me what I can and can not talk about.

I'll add one more thing about Miller. HE had an awful last 4 minutes and I'm sure he knows it. After a botched outing, he usually plays the next couple games with a chip on his shoulder, and plays some GREAT hockey. Let's hope that's the Miller we see this week.

As for Gerbe, I am loving this kid. He's got energy, grit, a great shot and some awesome hands around the net. Gerbe and Ennis are two young players to really be proud of.

Archived