GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Actually, the seizure-inducing avatar is in the wings waiting for the playoffs.

I mentioned it before but I like this avatar. Not sure if this is what you were going for, but to me Vanek just scored a huge goal and the whole building is shaking.

Two reasons why Jerry Sullivan should still not write about hockey:

(after a beautiful article on Rico last week).

Absolutely no respect or knowlege for hockey traditions.

"it was not a night to wander onto the precious new team logo in the middle of the room"

So Jerry. Nice how you've just used one word to feminize a team. It also represents the city, and the fans, ...just the kind of cattery we've come to expect from you. Precious, eh?

"Miller stormed off the ice in disgust"

If you knew hockey culture Jerry, you would know that goalie usually gets rubbed down by teamates even after a loss at almost every level. It's to share responsibilty. It's how it's done. How does a goaltender take the blame....by doing what he did.

Worst thing about this football mess, is that you probably think you have more to say about hockey.

Sad stuff, Jerry. What a precious column you write. What a precious little sportswriter you are. What precious knowlege you have to share with us. Geez men, read a book. Study up, man. You've never bothered. Your time is too precious.

Rant over.

Mmmmmmm.......you're lathered for no reason.

Miller taking blame? Does a goalie also take the blame by doing a WTF wave 1.3 seconds before storming off said ice? I agree with PA...it reminded of of when Dom was....."injured". It looked like an 8 year old putting on the dramatics as he huffed off. Come'on, even his sumo, full diaper stomp down the hallway was classic.

As for Sully and the carpet. I understand wanting to build a new attitude and start new traditions.....but true traditions are EARNED. This is the exact same team, coach, and GM we've seen for the entire era that is supposed to be forgotten. In a matter of weeks we are supposed to now cherish a swatch of carpeting, a gay battle cry anthem as a celebritory song, and coddle the same beings known for lackluster efforts and inconsistant results at best. It feels very contrived.

I enjoy the passion Pegula and the family are showing and the little tidbits of class that is being directed towards the fans. I also enjoy SOME of the new energy surrounding the team. But let's face facts....the old saying about lipstick on a pig is there for a reason. And even though Babe went a few weeks without needing a bath, yesterday he went diving headfirst into a pile of his own crap....which he is SUPPOSED to do, because he is still the same animal, no matter how much perfume you put on him or how fancy a pen you make for him.

I agree that Sully's gig is to be snarky, but he is also a critical realist at times when idealogs, even some of his co-workers, go floating into the air and never want to tell the party that everyone needs to chip in for more booze if they all want to keep drinking.

After last night, it's hard not to smell the bacon sizzling.

I mentioned it before but I like this avatar. Not sure if this is what you were going for, but to me Vanek just scored a huge goal and the whole building is shaking.

Thanks! Yeah, I was going after a post-goal excitement type thing. I don't think the "C" on his jersey stands out enough, though.

Mmmmmmm.......you're lathered for no reason.

Miller taking blame? Does a goalie also take the blame by doing a WTF wave 1.3 seconds before storming off said ice? I agree with PA...it reminded of of when Dom was....."injured". It looked like an 8 year old putting on the dramatics as he huffed off. Come'on, even his sumo, full diaper stomp down the hallway was classic.

As for Sully and the carpet. I understand wanting to build a new attitude and start new traditions.....but true traditions are EARNED. This is the exact same team, coach, and GM we've seen for the entire era that is supposed to be forgotten. In a matter of weeks we are supposed to now cherish a swatch of carpeting, a gay battle cry anthem as a celebritory song, and coddle the same beings known for lackluster efforts and inconsistant results at best. It feels very contrived.

I enjoy the passion Pegula and the family are showing and the little tidbits of class that is being directed towards the fans. I also enjoy SOME of the new energy surrounding the team. But let's face facts....the old saying about lipstick on a pig is there for a reason. And even though Babe went a few weeks without needing a bath, yesterday he went diving headfirst into a pile of his own crap....which he is SUPPOSED to do, because he is still the same animal, no matter how much perfume you put on him or how fancy a pen you make for him.

I agree that Sully's gig is to be snarky, but he is also a critical realist at times when idealogs, even some of his co-workers, go floating into the air and never want to tell the party that everyone needs to chip in for more booze if they all want to keep drinking.

After last night, it's hard not to smell the bacon sizzling.

All true and well written, but if he indeed stepped on the logo, on purpose, after they asked everyone not to, then he is a douche, regardless of tradition.

Side question: is Geoffrion really a fourth-generation NHLer? His father was in the NHL, as was his grandfather. However, neither of his grandfather's parents was in the NHL. Instead, his grandfather married a NHLer's daughter. To me, if you say an "n-generation" player, then it has to be blood, not in-laws. To give some perspective, if he's fourth-generation, then were he to have a daughter who went on to marry an NHLer, then would that player be a fifth-generation NHLer?

You lost me a bit on this one. So Bernie married Howie Morenz's daugther, right? Did that daugther then eventually give birth to Dan? If that's the case, there's still a blood relation there. Bernie may have no blood relation to Morenz, but Blake does.

Actually, the seizure-inducing avatar is in the wings waiting for the playoffs.

Can't wait. I'm actually kind of scared now.

As for Sully and the carpet. I understand wanting to build a new attitude and start new traditions.....but true traditions are EARNED.

A minor nitpick here. How exactly do you earn a tradition of not stepping on a logo'ed carpet? It has to start somewhere. I just wish that the very newspaper that Sully works for had at some point already published quotes about the team not allowing people to step on it... oh wait, they did. I'd have to agree with what patty poster earlier. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Miller on storming off the ice last night:

"I did not like the way that played out, 3-1 lead with under three minutes left and to lose, unacceptable, on every front from the top down so yah, I got out of there quick. I didn't talk because I had nothing good to say, maybe you guys wanted to hear something from me, but it wasn't going to be anything good or productive and I eliminated myself from that situation."

I can accept this. I would have probably done the same thing.

"I did not like the way that played out, 3-1 lead with under three minutes left and to lose, unacceptable, on every front from the top down so yah, I got out of there quick. I didn't talk because I had nothing good to say, maybe you guys wanted to hear something from me, but it wasn't going to be anything good or productive and I eliminated myself from that situation."

Nothing wrong with that at all.

I don't know why there is a big deal being made about Miller storming off the ice. Quite frankly I'm surprised that he didn't smash his stick over the crossbar before he stormed off. These guys are world class competitors and you would hope they would show some emotion and frustration after what happened. That was an epic collapse and every single Sabre that was on the ice during the last three minutes of the game and OT shoulders some of the blame for the outcome. In my book Lindy is a huge goat as well for putting McCormick out there to take a critical faceoff in his own zone protecting a one goal lead. We will see tomorrow night just how unacceptable that outcome was to this team.

A minor nitpick here. How exactly do you earn a tradition of not stepping on a logo'ed carpet? It has to start somewhere. I just wish that the very newspaper that Sully works for had at some point already published quotes about the team not allowing people to step on it... oh wait, they did. I'd have to agree with what patty poster earlier. He knew exactly what he was doing.

I hear you. I don't know if he did on purpose, or in jest, but again it is all of a sudden this majestic, beautiful thing to be protected at all costs that was done on the fly and being "protected" by the exact same 99.7% of people that have in my opinion, shown less than adequate respect towards the fans themselves over the years by their words, actions, effort and play. Darcy and Lindy sold this team to us hook, line and sinker at all costs...all along. I am not very happy that we are expected to give them a free pass for their actions and be told that they were "under orders". Well....they lied to our faces, multiple times then. This is some SS stuff here, and i don't mean Sabre Space.

Now all of a sudden this same group that has been known to mail it in for 20 or more minutes a night...spit out the same garbled cliches to us game after game, year after year, and plays a style of game closer to a Broadway actor than a Broad St bully.......these same people and their carpet are to be respected like the Christ and his tabernacle?

Again....I get it...it's cute. I never once stepped on the seal in the UB student union even though thousands trounced it every day. But in reality it's nothing more than a Tony Robbins lifecoach move until the real infrastructure of this team can be solidified.

The adage is true.

Win as a team, lose as a goalie.

There were about 5 mistakes to write about in that game:

1. Sekera shooting with about 3 min. left from the blueline with nobody in front of the net, missing the net. Dumb turnover. Lost zone.

2. Sekera not walking the puck behind the net. Cost a goal.

3. Gaustad flipping the puck out. Lost the zone.

4. Ruff calling McCormick's number for the defensive draw. (Not many options becuase Gaustad was gassed) But that's should be Tim C's Draw. Cost a goal.

5. Meyers with a wiff and Sekera with a cough-up in front for the winning goal.

Anyway.....with all that to talk about we get....Miller is pouty, and the carpet is precious.

It's a lazy and crap hack piece.

So yes. I think the town deserves better from a columnist when I can spot that as a fan.

The adage is true.

1. Sekera shooting with about 3 min. left from the blueline with nobody in front of the net, missing the net. Dumb turnover. Lost zone.

4. Ruff calling McCormick's number for the defensive draw. (Not many options becuase Gaustad was gassed) But that's should be Tim C's Draw. Cost a goal.

Anyway.....with all that to talk about we get....Miller is pouty, and the carpet is precious.

So yes. I think the town deserves better from a columnist when I can spot that as a fan.

The next time Sullivan writes something that provides actual hockey insight will be the first time.

The adage is true.

Come on now. The goalie's mindset is a story. It's always a story, especially when this goalie has been struggling and recently threw f-bombs at a media member. All Jerry wrote was that Miller stormed off in disgust, a pretty objective description. Have you ever seen that at the end of a game? I haven't. Dom did a sprint to the bench after Kasparaitis' goal in 01, but he didn't leave the ice.

2. It looked like Sekera was wanting to go behind the net, but he was checked from behind. Slipping it to Miller didn't seem like a bad idea. How come you are not mentioning Miller's inability to simply cover a puck? Why is Miller protected? I don't get it.

By the way, did you write earlier that goalies get "rubbed down" by teammates after a game? You lost me there, and probably some others.

You lost me a bit on this one. So Bernie married Howie Morenz's daugther, right? Did that daugther then eventually give birth to Dan? If that's the case, there's still a blood relation there. Bernie may have no blood relation to Morenz, but Blake does.

Good point. Still not exactly what I'd consider 4th generation. For that, each successive generation would really have to be related directly to the next. He's third-generation (direct) and the great-grandson of another NHLer. The tree splits at his father. Just picking nits.

I haven't seen mention of the fact that Miller's storm off the ice is more significant as he usually insists on being the last one off.

What happens after most games at most levels is that teamates on the ice acknowledge their keeper. Win or lose. It's a tap, a stick, a bump...usually some form of acknowlegement.

When standing around for that doesn't feel authentic. You leave the ice.

(I'm doing a poor job with my Lent, BTW). :(

What happens after most games at most levels is that teamates on the ice acknowledge their keeper. Win or lose. It's a tap, a stick, a bump...usually some form of acknowlegement.

When standing around for that doesn't feel authentic. You leave the ice.

(I'm doing a poor job with my Lent, BTW). :(

Miller's never left the ice like that.

I would think not stepping on the logo would be reserved for people in the organization. Similar to not touching the Stanley Cup until you win it. Reporters and the average fan can decide for themselves what they want to do. If no one is supposed to step on the logo then the team should put up some of those red velvet ropes (which I think are made by a firm in Buffalo) when they have reporters or guests in the locker room.

I would think not stepping on the logo would be reserved for people in the organization. Similar to not touching the Stanley Cup until you win it. Reporters and the average fan can decide for themselves what they want to do. If no one is supposed to step on the logo then the team should put up some of those red velvet ropes (which I think are made by a firm in Buffalo) when they have reporters or guests in the locker room.

It would be funny if Gaustad went to the News office for an interview and plopped down in the nearest chair. "###### off!! We don't use that chair! That's the chair Felser died in!!!!"

Maybe not funny.

Archived