GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

This comment has taken on mythic stature around here that it has almost become a character slur.

Let's revisit it....and put it to bed.

The fragile quote you and many have referred to is a collective "We" not THEM ...and the interview ended with an "I"

"We've got to stop playing like fragile little kids out there," he said. "We had a two-goal

lead, took two penalties that weren't exactly necessary, got rattled and had a bad second

period. Then we had to scramble in the third period to make a game of it."

and from Harrington:

Miller is hardly blameless and he knows that. He's 0-3-2 with a 3.54 goals-against average

in February, which has to make USA Hockey's domos a little nervous about their goaltending.

"If it's not one thing, it's another thing," Miller said. "If it's the forwards are off,

the "D' are off and I'm off, it's all not clicking right now. No one is making up for each

other."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article34091.ece

I thought at the time he was talking about the entire team.

I don't think there has ever been evidence that any teammate took umbrage with the comments. But it has lived as a "meme" on Sabrespace.

And there you have it. But don't believe for even one minute that this will "put it to bed" with those who have committed themselves to the blame Miller at all costs crusade.

It would be funny if Gaustad went to the News office for an interview and plopped down in the nearest chair. "###### off!! We don't use that chair! That's the chair Felser died in!!!!"

Maybe not funny.

If Gaustad would get that mad I suggest they make Miller's uniform out of the same material as the carpet. Maybe some of his teammates would care then when he gets stepped on.

If anything, I think Miller is respected by his teammates (as seen via post-game comments). Can someone bring up a sound-bite where the team spoke harshly about Miller's play?

Actually, most of you came late to this thread (game-day convo of the Nashville game yesterday). The Jeckle-&-Hyde nature of this thing can be seen if you read this thread from beginning to end. We all know Miller hasn't lived up to last season's greatness. At the beginning of the Nashville game, when Miller made several stellar saves (beginning of 2nd Period, when he was hung out to dry repetitively), and stopped some clean breaks, people in here were commenting on how sharp he was ("for a change")...

Then the last 2.5 minutes come along...

I'm not saying Miller was completely blameless. He did have his glove down over the puck on Nashville goal #2 for several seconds, before it squirted into the net (where was the physical help to clear folks out of there? WHY did Sekera shovel the puck there??).

I'm saying s-h-_-t happens.

Move on to Montreal.

I think (hope?) the team has.

Go SABRES!!

This comment has taken on mythic stature around here that it has almost become a character slur.

The fragile quote you and many have referred to is a collective "We" not THEM ...and the interview ended with an "I"

"We've got to stop playing like fragile little kids out there," he said. "We had a two-goal

lead, took two penalties that weren't exactly necessary, got rattled and had a bad second

and from Harrington:

Miller is hardly blameless and he knows that. He's 0-3-2 with a 3.54 goals-against average

in February, which has to make USA Hockey's domos a little nervous about their goaltending.

"If it's not one thing, it's another thing," Miller said. "If it's the forwards are off,

the "D' are off and I'm off, it's all not clicking right now. No one is making up for each

other."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article34091.ece

I don't think there has ever been evidence that any teammate took umbrage with the comments. But it has lived as a "meme" on Sabrespace.

Just as there is no evidence that the players took umbrage with Miller's abrupt skate off the ice last night.

Thanks for taking the time to dig out the article and lend some context to Miller's statements at the time. As far as I know he's always included himself in negative critiques. Conversely, he's not one to polish his own apple when being effusive with praise for his teammates, either.

GO SABRES!!!

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Sekera & Myers were on the ice for all 4 GA.

They were bad.

Doesn't mean they will stay bad, but they were bad.

On the upside...I don't think there were any Sabres penalties that I recall;

which is excellent hockey for a team playing on less than a day rest.

If Gaustad would get that mad I suggest they make Miller's uniform out of the same material as the carpet. Maybe some of his teammates would care then when he gets stepped on.

:clapping:

and from Harrington:

other."

http://www.buffalone...rticle34091.ece

That was the game where the Sabres allowed a three on none break, probably one of the reasons he went off after the game. ""That was unacceptable as far as focus," Miller said of the bad change.

"We" certainly refers to his teammates. You really think Miller meant to say he played like a fragile little kid in the game? The winning goal in OT by the Canes was also likely stuck in his craw. Steve Montador flat out fell down. Remember that?

You conveniently left out the more significant quote from the night. "I've been pissed off for weeks, months," Miller said. He was in the midst of a career season, on the cusp of the Olympics. He was not pissed off at the state of his own game.

"We had a two-goal lead, took two penalties that weren't exactly necessary, got rattled and had a bad second period. Then we had to scramble in the third period to make a game of it."

He's trashing his teammates. He does it all the time.

That was the game where the Sabres allowed a three on none break, probably one of the reasons he went off after the game. ""That was unacceptable as far as focus," Miller said of the bad change.

"We" certainly refers to his teammates. You really think Miller meant to say he played like a fragile little kid in the game? The winning goal in OT by the Canes was also likely stuck in his craw. Steve Montador flat out fell down. Remember that?

You conveniently left out the more significant quote from the night. "I've been pissed off for weeks, months," Miller said. He was in the midst of a career season, on the cusp of the Olympics. He was not pissed off at the state of his own game.

"We had a two-goal lead, took two penalties that weren't exactly necessary, got rattled and had a bad second period. Then we had to scramble in the third period to make a game of it."

He's trashing his teammates. He does it all the time.

:blink:

This only works if we doesn't mean we and we does mean we

obviously you prefer that we doesn't mean we

and suddenly we are talking in the syntax of e.e. cummings

:blink:

This only works if we doesn't mean we and we does mean we

obviously you prefer that we doesn't mean we

and suddenly we are talking in the syntax of e.e. cummings

Really? you mean you can't figure out that he is talking about his teammates. It doesn't take rocket science to figure who Miller is always implementing within his comments.

Really? you mean you can't figure out that he is talking about his teammates. It doesn't take rocket science to figure who Miller is always implementing within his comments.

I mean exactly what I mean. He never calls out teammates, he refers to the team with "We" and he's a member of that team.

But quibble if you like.

What gets said to teammates happens behind closed doors. Really that's how it works because that's hockey. Players don't use the media for this because 1) that's the code they follow and 2) it's inefficient.

I could be wrong, because goalies ain't your average horsefish. But I tend to err on the side of the code. He's never called a teammate out. And absolutely never by name. He's said WE which is so bland it ain't even listened to.

And if there was any doubt from that article, M. Harrington went to lengths to qualify it.

(And PA - I think you may suspect me of creative omission, but I cited the piece, and I'm trying to follow the spirit of the copy-write request...not trying to parse it at all)

But obviously "WE" is the new Rorschach test.

I mean exactly what I mean. He never calls out teammates, he refers to the team with "We" and he's a member of that team.

But quibble if you like.

What gets said to teammates happens behind closed doors. Really that's how it works because that's hockey. Players don't use the media for this because 1) that's the code they follow and 2) it's inefficient.

I could be wrong, because goalies ain't your average horsefish. But I tend to err on the side of the code. He's never called a teammate out. And absolutely never by name. He's said WE which is so bland it ain't even listened to.

And if there was any doubt from that article, M. Harrington went to lengths to qualify it.

(And PA - I think you may suspect me of creative omission, but I cited the piece, and I'm trying to follow the spirit of the copy-write request...not trying to parse it at all)

But obviously "WE" is the new Rorschach test.

Same article. "...took two penalties that weren't exactly necessary." Who's he calling out? The team? Including himself? Or the penalty takers? My goodness, I could go back and read postgame stories for the last five years. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Same article. "...took two penalties that weren't exactly necessary." Who's he calling out? The team? Including himself? Or the penalty takers? My goodness, I could go back and read postgame stories for the last five years. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

So u wake up and say to yourself "Hey, I should continue that great conversation I had with myself yesterday!"? Why don't u make a new topic "PA argues with his head" It'll be just yours and yours truly Mr Goodness.

So u wake up and say to yourself "Hey, I should continue that great conversation I had with myself yesterday!"? Why don't u make a new topic "PA argues with his head" It'll be just yours and yours truly Mr Goodness.

What's your problem? Seriously.

X. and I are having a discussion.

Wow, I kind of hate this word, but your comment is retarded.

What's your problem? Seriously.

X. and I are having a discussion.

Wow, I kind of hate this word, but your comment is retarded.

She has a way of trying to change the subject often when valid points are being made that are damning to the team. Good little trick. You can tell how valid the beatdown is by how corny her comment is to try and derail the conversation. Nothing personal, it's better than outright lying which she doesn't do.

I'm noticing something on the board, in the media, and in general. The two camps are getting snippy with each other. The "Pegula is Christ and can do no wrong" crowd is reminding me of the '06-'07 Sabres run where the bandwagon was at full steam and personal shots started being thrown at the, Realist/Cynical crowd. I really like the fact that Pegula and family seem like down home people who want to win and make this a fan friendly organization, but so far this is the same girl in a different dress. She's just acting with a little more confidence because one of the guys on the football team said she looked hot and pinched her ass.

Yesterday on GR's morning show they were going at it with Sully pretty good...beyond yucking it up. In reality, this team had a very good 2 month swing where they played competitive to a 3rd-5th seed in a conference. They are pretty much .500 the past month and change. It's fine to be happy with their "progress", but I am getting the sense that those able to hold their emotions in check are a bit insulted being told by some others that they need to "clebrate and cherrish" this crew. Here we are, fighting to just cling onto the 60th percentile of the league, while the teams two biggest weaknesses, Lindy's goaltending management and undersized and underphysical players...are about to be in the spotlight for the next 3 weeks....and if they should somehow sneak into the first round.

I really like how some of the kids have been playing, and it's a lot easier rooting for the team when Roy, Hecht, Kaleta and Connolly are pretty much missing from my TV screen on a nightly basis. But please don't tell me to celebrate mediocrity and force me to feel guilty for not adhering to a 3 week old "tradition" of worshiping an 8 foot remnant from Max Pies while the same French Military that has been in that lockerroom the past 4 years suddenly found the battery to their taser.

I won't tell you kick puppies and burn your Pomers jersey if you don't tell me I have to fellate Ted Black and the other 999 swords.

She has a way of trying to change the subject often when valid points are being made that are damning to the team. Good little trick. You can tell how valid the beatdown is by how corny her comment is to try and derail the conversation. Nothing personal, it's better than outright lying which she doesn't do.

I'm noticing something on the board, in the media, and in general. The two camps are getting snippy with each other. The "Pegula is Christ and can do no wrong" crowd is reminding me of the '06-'07 Sabres run where the bandwagon was at full steam and personal shots started being thrown at the, Realist/Cynical crowd. I really like the fact that Pegula and family seem like down home people who want to win and make this a fan friendly organization, but so far this is the same girl in a different dress. She's just acting with a little more confidence because one of the guys on the football team said she looked hot and pinched her ass.

Yesterday on GR's morning show they were going at it with Sully pretty good...beyond yucking it up. In reality, this team had a very good 2 month swing where they played competitive to a 3rd-5th seed in a conference. They are pretty much .500 the past month and change. It's fine to be happy with their "progress", but I am getting the sense that those able to hold their emotions in check are a bit insulted being told by some others that they need to "clebrate and cherrish" this crew. Here we are, fighting to just cling onto the 60th percentile of the league, while the teams two biggest weaknesses, Lindy's goaltending management and undersized and underphysical players...are about to be in the spotlight for the next 3 weeks....and if they should somehow sneak into the first round.

I really like how some of the kids have been playing, and it's a lot easier rooting for the team when Roy, Hecht, Kaleta and Connolly are pretty much missing from my TV screen on a nightly basis. But please don't tell me to celebrate mediocrity and force me to feel guilty for not adhering to a 3 week old "tradition" of worshiping an 8 foot remnant from Max Pies while the same French Military that has been in that lockerroom the past 4 years suddenly found the battery to their taser.

I won't tell you kick puppies and burn your Pomers jersey if you don't tell me I have to fellate Ted Black and the other 999 swords.

Yea, good point. This team other than boyes hasnt changed. Matured? yes a little but they are not a new toy, they are a repackaged one. I love Pegula and am excited for the offseason changes, but this team will do well to make the playoffs and who knows if they get hot could make some noise but with inconsistent efforts like the other night, it makes you wonder how many gaps really exist in its fundamental make up. Playoffs reveal gaps and that might be the best thing. We will see what happens with our "star players" and can truly decide if they can do their jobs. Miller for example might show up in the playoffs this year if he gets some food, of course he might need a summer off to get his head straight. Look forward to playoff hockey and dream that this team will be a miracle and win the cup this year, but don't be hating anyone for saying that this team isn't all beer and skittles just because Tpegs came riding into town. (this includes myself) We are in hockey purgatory still waiting to get to hockey heaven, but at least now we are moving in the right direction.

Yea, good point. This team other than boyes hasnt changed. Matured? yes a little but they are not a new toy, they are a repackaged one. I love Pegula and am excited for the offseason changes, but this team will do well to make the playoffs and who knows if they get hot could make some noise but with inconsistent efforts like the other night, it makes you wonder how many gaps really exist in its fundamental make up. Playoffs reveal gaps and that might be the best thing. We will see what happens with our "star players" and can truly decide if they can do their jobs. Miller for example might show up in the playoffs this year if he gets some food, of course he might need a summer off to get his head straight. Look forward to playoff hockey and dream that this team will be a miracle and win the cup this year, but don't be hating anyone for saying that this team isn't all beer and skittles just because Tpegs came riding into town. (this includes myself) We are in hockey purgatory still waiting to get to hockey heaven, but at least now we are moving in the right direction.

Valid

I never hate anyone. Many times the source of conflict comes between two groups because we are trying to accomplish the same thing but in different ways. We both want to protect the franchise. Like in politics, some do it through coddling and hope, some do it through tough love and efficiency.

I am amazed that I agree with PA and DeLuca on so many things about the team considering how our politics swing. Who would have thought the biggest critic of this team once sported a Jimmy Carter bumper sticker? :)

Archived