GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Yea the rangers have a lot of injuries including Gaborik so we should be happy we beat them but at the same time I think carolina is the better team right now because Eric Staal is playing well.

Side note: Its ironic how many players carolina has traded for that were on the team just a little while ago. I am thinking specifically of Cole and Stillman but I feel like there are more... hmm

Rutherford loves going back to old players when he thinks the market under-appreciates them.

It was a win, but when looking at the film(especially the 3rd period), I can't imagine the coaches will be too happy about the inability of the team to REPEATEDLY not get the puck out of their own end.

As far as Lindy goes, yeah he deserves to be criticized when he speaks of being more offensive and having 3 scoring lines, and then a day later takes one of the better players over the last month(Gerbe) and benches him(not that it would have made a difference because he would Lindy would have put him on the 4th line).

"He ain't going nowhere!"

PS The Rangers haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire. They were 4-7-1(since 2-1-11) before last night.

I thought Nieds rewarded LR for that choice last night. He wouldn't recognize a scoring chance if he tripped over one right now, but he played solid in his own end. The addition of Boyes without a subtraction gives Lindy the ability to tailor his team to the opponent, and keeps pressure on the bottom 4 or 5 to produce.

And for the record, I was in favor of benching Nieds, not Gerbe.

It was a win, but when looking at the film(especially the 3rd period), I can't imagine the coaches will be too happy about the inability of the team to REPEATEDLY not get the puck out of their own end.

As far as Lindy goes, yeah he deserves to be criticized when he speaks of being more offensive and having 3 scoring lines, and then a day later takes one of the better players over the last month(Gerbe) and benches him(not that it would have made a difference because he would Lindy would have put him on the 4th line).

"He ain't going nowhere!"

PS The Rangers haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire. They were 4-7-1(since 2-1-11) before last night.

I don't know about Gerbe being one of the better players over the last month. He has 1 goal and 3 assists and is -3 since the all star break. Not saying that Neidermayer doesn't deserve pine time but Gerbe has been rather invisible lately IMO.

Once again, Lindy talking out of his ass. He proclaims that the Sabres are going to have 3 scoring lines, and then he benches Gerber, but Neidermayer and Grier are part of the Top 9.

"He ain't going nowhere." :cry:

Putting GERBE on that line last night instead of #20 could of given them 3 scoring lines, but putting #20 out there just negates the good play of his linemates. GOOSE and POMMERS both played pretty well last night, adding GERBE could of paid off.

Jeez. That was a good win last night -- on the road, against a solid team ahead of them in the standings. Not sure why LR should be criticized for a roster choice.

I noticed that play too -- great play by Vanek, who I thought was otherwise pretty invisible for most of the game.

I'd give this award to Hecht, who I find myself liking more and more this year despite the occasional bonehead play.

If by invisible you mean in front of the net blocking Lundquist on 2 of the Sabres 3 goals (Hecht's and a PP) while also facing the other teams top checking line all game then yeah he was Invisible. ;)

Putting GERBE on that line last night instead of #20 could of given them 3 scoring lines, but putting #20 out there just negates the good play of his linemates. GOOSE and POMMERS both played pretty well last night, adding GERBE could of paid off.

Could have? What, would the team somehow have walked away with 4 points instead of 2? No matter what Lindy says, that line is out there to provide one thing, defense. Maybe more should be demanded of Pominville, but it it what it is right now.

I don't know about Gerbe being one of the better players over the last month. He has 1 goal and 3 assists and is -3 since the all star break. Not saying that Neidermayer doesn't deserve pine time but Gerbe has been rather invisible lately IMO.

I'm Indian, don't have a good grasp of the english language and work at a gas station. I really meant to say the last month and a half, so that would cover Gerbe's hot streak at the end of January. Get off my case. :nana:

Go Tandoori!

:unsure: What game did you watch? Neidermeyer was unspectacular, but played a very sound game.

This team needs scoring down the stretch and it isn't gonna come from #20 and if you put no expectations on him I guess that was a sound game, but otherwise what made it sound, he didn't screw up every chance he got ? The guy doesn't deserve to be on the ice, period.

This team needs scoring down the stretch and it isn't gonna come from #20 and if you put no expectations on him I guess that was a sound game, but otherwise what made it sound, he didn't screw up every chance he got ? The guy doesn't deserve to be on the ice, period.

Glad you asked.

I thought he had a very solid third period. Sometimes the right play is just to win possession and get it deep. Chewing up 40 seconds with 5 minutes left when you have a lead on the road is huge.

Neids ain't likely to score. But just try to get the puck away from him or Mike Grier.

They protect it like a baby. It ain't sexy hockey, but it is pretty damn smart hockey.

If by invisible you mean in front of the net blocking Lundquist on 2 of the Sabres 3 goals (Hecht's and a PP) while also facing the other teams top checking line all game then yeah he was Invisible. ;)

Duds laying the wood.

Two of those big saves by Miller were pretty interesting. He seemed to have robbed the Ranger both times, but the play was far from over. The one shot leaked through and might have been heading in. The other bounded out of his glove (good observation X.) and hopped right into prime scoring territory. Both times, Miller didn't give up, once reaching back and the other time checking the puck with the knob of his stick.

Good to see that never give up attitude. I'm not sure it's always been there with Miller. Scramble plays around the net tend to go in. Those were Hasek maneuvers last night.

Interesting comment.

I've just been impressed with his willingness and ability to carry the mail, regardless of what role he's asked to fill. In particular, I think he's handled being the "#1 center" (ie when centering Vanek and Pommer) pretty well, and gotten more out of those 2 than, say, TC has (or Roy did earlier this year).

Well, he is a 2-time 40-goal scorer who played only 14 minutes and had zero shots on goal last night. I remember one 3-on-2 in particular in which he passed up a shot for a too-cute pass that went nowhere.

Glad you asked.

I thought he had a very solid third period. Sometimes the right play is just to win possession and get it deep. Chewing up 40 seconds with 5 minutes left when you have a lead on the road is huge.

Neids ain't likely to score. But just try to get the puck away from him or Mike Grier.

They protect it like a baby. It ain't sexy hockey, but it is pretty damn smart hockey.

Good call. The Sabres were in hold-the-fort mode for the last 10 minutes or so of the game and those 2 really battled on their shifts. I think Grier in particular has had a strong month or so.

I've just been impressed with his willingness and ability to carry the mail, regardless of what role he's asked to fill. In particular, I think he's handled being the "#1 center" (ie when centering Vanek and Pommer) pretty well, and gotten more out of those 2 than, say, TC has (or Roy did earlier this year).

Well, he is a 2-time 40-goal scorer who played only 14 minutes and had zero shots on goal last night. I remember one 3-on-2 in particular in which he passed up a shot for a too-cute pass that went nowhere.

Good call. The Sabres were in hold-the-fort mode for the last 10 minutes or so of the game and those 2 really battled on their shifts. I think Grier in particular has had a strong month or so.

which is good, i'd like to see our veterans show some playoff-type grit at this point

Should McCormick be on a line with drew and vanek permanently? I mean he was for a game and got 2 points so clearly he has some skill... Its going to be a more gritty line than with hecht... its 8g 9a McCormick to 11g 16a hecht. I feel like its worth another try putting more grit with some skill on that top line.

Should McCormick be on a line with drew and vanek permanently? I mean he was for a game and got 2 points so clearly he has some skill... Its going to be a more gritty line than with hecht... its 8g 9a McCormick to 11g 16a hecht. I feel like its worth another try putting more grit with some skill on that top line.

He was for a limited time in the Ottawa game due to line changes but he had some chemistry with them.

I'm Indian, don't have a good grasp of the english language and work at a gas station. I really meant to say the last month and a half, so that would cover Gerbe's hot streak at the end of January. Get off my case. :nana:

Go Tandoori!

:huh: :blink: :w00t:

Ch-yeah.

Wait, what? Grier is normally strong on the puck, but not so much last night. He got manhandled on the Ranger's second goal when he had a chance to clear the puck. He also had a bad give away inside the Ranger's blue line in the third period when he should've just dumped it in, and it started an odd man rush the other way. If Connolly had done either of those things, he'd be getting reamed for it.

I also totally disagree about Neidermayer. Can you give me some specific instances in last night's game, or any games, where he's been strong on the puck? I sure can't. The guy appears totally disinterested.

On the flip side, I think Connolly played excellently. He still had a couple of turn overs in the offensive zone, but they weren't glaringly bad. His line was the only one that could consistently get the puck out of the defensive zone and they also made good decisions in the neutral zone. He made a nice play on the first power play goal, played well on the PK, back checked well and was positionally sound on defense, and his diving poke check to prevent a short handed goal was probably a two goal swing as the Sabres ultimately scored on the same power play.

I'd give this award to Hecht, who I find myself liking more and more this year despite the occasional bonehead play.

I completely agree and haven't quite understood all the Hecht hate all year.

Didn't he miss a significant portion of the 2nd after suffering a leg injury? That might account for the reduced ice time.

Archived