GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Something is wrong with Miller. Not his game--he was on his game tonight, no doubt about it--but his health or something is off. Several times, it took him way too long to get up off of the ice and back into play (I know, one of those times, he thought the puck was under his ass, but the others?).

Good win. For once, I was glad for a versus game which meant that I could see it from my undisclosed location (about a mile to the left of Cheney). Sabres played a physical team in their barn and came up with a solid win, despite the last seven minutes of playing like it was a 5-on-3 for the Rags.

The comments above about the announcers are right on. (1) Why bother having a versus crew when you can just hire the rags homers? (2) Stop telling stories and describe the game.

Try playing 40/41 games as an NHL goalie. Maybe you would be a little slow to get up, too.

Try playing 40/41 games as an NHL goalie. Maybe you would be a little slow to get up, too.

Yeah, I get it; I'm not an NHL goalie. But seriously, something is wrong, and I'm betting it's that groin issue again.

Yeah, I get it; I'm not an NHL goalie. But seriously, something is wrong, and I'm betting it's that groin issue again.

I noticed he got knocked over by our own guys a few times tonight, Cody and I think Butler twice, is that what you're referring to?

I know he likes to take away the angles and has a tendancy to come out a little far, but he seemed to be abnormally far from the crease at times tonight, not sure why... but hey, it worked, so....

And BTW, to whomever said Sekera was horrible tonight, were you actually watching the game? :rolleyes:

Something is wrong with Miller. Not his game--he was on his game tonight, no doubt about it--but his health or something is off. Several times, it took him way too long to get up off of the ice and back into play (I know, one of those times, he thought the puck was under his ass, but the others?).

He is playing injured for sure, I have been noticing this for sometime.....All of the guys bashing him and the guy is playing through injury.......It seems to be a big problem when he tries to get back up......He can't recover when he commits at times.

I had the Cops song in my head all day yesterday...

"Brad Boyes, Brad Boyes

whatcha gonna do?

whatcha gonna do

when he scores on you?"

Hopefully BB will score a hatty tonight and RJ will bust this out. :lol:

yeah yeah Boyes...

Seems like Pegula is at every game. I guess he really is a fan-owner... It's only been 4 games and we all know he's better than good ol' Tommy G.

If he keeps this up and makes good on his promise for the Sabres to win the Cup, there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be in the HHOF as a builder.

Some thoughts on last night:

1. I think the announcers weren't as one-sided as some portray them here. Go back and replay some of those saves by Miller. Forslund was clearly RJ-like during those calls. Engblom was passing out kudos during the game. The Sabres went into Alamo mode once they got that third goal. The play was dictated by the Rangers. The call should favor the Rangers at that point. It did. There wasn't much O to talk about from the Sabres. The Sabres goal calls were in fact weak.

2. I loved the play of Boyes at the Blue line. He 'decleated' someone at the Blue line. Must have thought he was still a Blue. The goal was nice too.

3. At least twice last night the Sabres were guilty of one too many passes.

4. The refs clearly put their whistles away late.

5. How about the Buffalo PP last night? They clearly won two of the three initial draws. Maintained zone pressure and scored twice.

6. Quite the sequence on the second Buffalo PP and eventual PP goal. Buffalo gives up an odd man, short-handed rush two-on-one. They recover, push the puck to the neutral zone. Lose control and have a three-on-one going back the other way. The puck just slips off the centerman's stick and the lone Sabres defender was able to snag it back. They push the puck back in and eventually the blue line shot to a screened goalie gets tipped in.

7. Miller made probably eight huge saves last night. That deseprate swiping motion after the puck got through his legs was pure luck it went parallel to the goal line and out of the crease.

8. Some clamor on here for Miller to steal a game or two. Well he clearly stole that one.

9. After a very slow start, that game got very intense starting in the second and very wild in the third.

10. No one can argue that Thursday's Carolina game is clearly huge and a must win.

1. I think the announcers weren't as one-sided as some portray them here. Go back and replay some of those saves by Miller. Forslund was clearly RJ-like during those calls. Engblom was passing out kudos during the game. The Sabres went into Alamo mode once they got that third goal. The play was dictated by the Rangers. The call should favor the Rangers at that point. It did. There wasn't much O to talk about from the Sabres. The Sabres goal calls were in fact weak.

2. I loved the play of Boyes at the Blue line. He 'decleated' someone at the Blue line. Must have thought he was still a Blue. The goal was nice too.

5. How about the Buffalo PP last night? They clearly won two of the three initial draws. Maintained zone pressure and scored twice.

6. Quite the sequence on the second Buffalo PP and eventual PP goal. Buffalo gives up an odd man, short-handed rush two-on-one. They recover, push the puck to the neutral zone. Lose control and have a three-on-one going back the other way. The puck just slips off the centerman's stick and the lone Sabres defender was able to snag it back. They push the puck back in and eventually the blue line shot to a screened goalie gets tipped in.

7. Miller made probably eight huge saves last night. That deseprate swiping motion after the puck got through his legs was pure luck it went parallel to the goal line and out of the crease.

8. Some clamor on here for Miller to steal a game or two. Well he clearly stole that one.

9. After a very slow start, that game got very intense starting in the second and very wild in the third.

10. No one can argue that Thursday's Carolina game is clearly huge and a must win.

Good points. I didn't have a problem with the announcers either. As for #10, there's no question it's huge, although one could make the argument it's actually more of a "must win" for the Canes than it is for the Sabres. Remaining schedule favors the Canes (11/7 Home/Road vs. 9/11 for the Sabres) but there are still head-to-head matchups in both cities after Thursday night. The game won't "decide" anything, but it will put more pressure on the loser for sure. The Rangers' remaining schedule is extremely tough, by the way -- don't be surprised if NY is the team on the outside looking in when this is all said and done.

On the Vs. postgame show last night, I did like how all of them confirmed it looks like a 3-team race for the last two playoff spots, all but eliminating ATL, TOR, FLA, and NJ from the discussion.

Nice stuff:

Buffalo, for once, was the beneficiary of a questionably called game. It doesn't happen too often, but last night was one.

Boyes, I thought, was probably atypically physical, although that St. Louis dump and chase game is predicated on digging in the corners.

It is feast or famine with Sekera. He typically makes the best and worst play of the game almost every night.

I thought it was a great game last night, very exciting (save for the first 10 minutes). Not much else I can add that hasn't been posted as I agree the VS announcers were aweful, Miller was spectacular and Shakira makes the best and worst plays most nights.

Thought Boyes was one of our best players and I hope he keeps it up. The goal he scored was on a chance that it seems many Sabres have every night and just can't seem to bury. I liked his physical nature as well. Didn't take runs at guys but used his body when he needed to.

One other thing...

Vanek backchecking in the 3rd period as the Ranger was heading towards the net, and then lo and behold, takes the guy hard into the boards.

It just goes to show you that, any player can be an all around player...IF THEY WANT TO BE.

One other thing...

Vanek backchecking in the 3rd period as the Ranger was heading towards the net, and then lo and behold, takes the guy hard into the boards.

It just goes to show you that, any player can be an all around player...IF THEY WANT TO BE.

that's why he has the 'A' on his jersey now.

One other thing...

He's consistently been the hardest working Sabre all year. IMO.

Once again, Lindy talking out of his ass. He proclaims that the Sabres are going to have 3 scoring lines, and then he benches Gerber, but Neidermayer and Grier are part of the Top 9.

"He ain't going nowhere." :cry:

Jeez. That was a good win last night -- on the road, against a solid team ahead of them in the standings. Not sure why LR should be criticized for a roster choice.

One other thing...

I noticed that play too -- great play by Vanek, who I thought was otherwise pretty invisible for most of the game.

He's consistently been the hardest working Sabre all year. IMO.

I'd give this award to Hecht, who I find myself liking more and more this year despite the occasional bonehead play.

Jeez. That was a good win last night -- on the road, against a solid team ahead of them in the standings. Not sure why LR should be criticized for a roster choice.

It was a win, but when looking at the film(especially the 3rd period), I can't imagine the coaches will be too happy about the inability of the team to REPEATEDLY not get the puck out of their own end.

As far as Lindy goes, yeah he deserves to be criticized when he speaks of being more offensive and having 3 scoring lines, and then a day later takes one of the better players over the last month(Gerbe) and benches him(not that it would have made a difference because he would Lindy would have put him on the 4th line).

"He ain't going nowhere!"

PS The Rangers haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire. They were 4-7-1(since 2-1-11) before last night.

PS The Rangers haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire. They were 4-7-1(since 2-1-11) before last night.

Yea the rangers have a lot of injuries including Gaborik so we should be happy we beat them but at the same time I think carolina is the better team right now because Eric Staal is playing well.

Side note: Its ironic how many players carolina has traded for that were on the team just a little while ago. I am thinking specifically of Cole and Stillman but I feel like there are more... hmm

Archived