GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Wait, what? Grier is normally strong on the puck, but not so much last night. He got manhandled on the Ranger's second goal when he had a chance to clear the puck. He also had a bad give away inside the Ranger's blue line in the third period when he should've just dumped it in, and it started an odd man rush the other way. If Connolly had done either of those things, he'd be getting reamed for it.

I also totally disagree about Neidermayer. Can you give me some specific instances in last night's game, or any games, where he's been strong on the puck? I sure can't. The guy appears totally disinterested.

On the flip side, I think Connolly played excellently. He still had a couple of turn overs in the offensive zone, but they weren't glaringly bad. His line was the only one that could consistently get the puck out of the defensive zone and they also made good decisions in the neutral zone. He made a nice play on the first power play goal, played well on the PK, back checked well and was positionally sound on defense, and his diving poke check to prevent a short handed goal was probably a two goal swing as the Sabres ultimately scored on the same power play.

Their strength with the puck is mostly along the boards. The majority of the time when they have the puck low or along the boards, they don't lose it. Sure, it's going to happen from time to time that they lose control, but that puck possession is their key role on this team.

Didn't he miss a significant portion of the 2nd after suffering a leg injury? That might account for the reduced ice time.

Yup, adding back i his missed shifts with an average shift of 45 secs he'd have about 2:15 added, so @ 16:30 total.

I'd expect Lindy will try to get most everyone equal time, especially in a game like the NYR. Need to keep everyone fresh for the trip.

That's a hell of a memory you got there. I've only seen that play made by the sabres about 300-400 times this season.

The Grier and Niedermayer 2 on 1 was classic. Grier's pass was waist high -- Niedermayer appeared to be playing an imaginary puck.

That's a hell of a memory you got there. I've only seen that play made by the sabres about 300-400 times this season.

I was referring to last night only, buddy boy.

Didn't he miss a significant portion of the 2nd after suffering a leg injury? That might account for the reduced ice time.

I think this is right -- my point was just that his game didn't make much of an impression last night.

Man, I miss Jim Lorentz... :(

after the game, vs. showed a couple of "frozen moment" episodes. first was about the rags of the early/mid '90s, followed by one about the 70 goal scorers club. the last 6 or 7 minutes was of course all about alex and teemu, the last two to accomplish the feat (and wow, i totally forgot about bernie nichols). hearing lorentz on some of the calls brought a tear to my eye, not to mention the emphasis that was put on the addition of lafontaine.

also, did anyone notice this?

I noticed he got knocked over by our own guys a few times tonight, Cody and I think Butler twice, is that what you're referring to?

The team knows he plays with a chip on his shoulder when he gets run over. :)

Some thoughts on last night:

1. I think the announcers weren't as one-sided as some portray them here. Go back and replay some of those saves by Miller. Forslund was clearly RJ-like during those calls.

It would be fun if VS got RJ to call a national game for them before he retires.

It would be fun if VS got RJ to call a national game for them before he retires.

I might be imagining this, but I seem to remember Rick doing a game on a national network a long, long time ago. Maybe mid 80s.

Could be wrong. I know I have this remembrance of Rick doing a game not involving the Sabres, and how mind-freaked I was.

I might be imagining this, but I seem to remember Rick doing a game on a national network a long, long time ago. Maybe mid 80s.

Could be wrong. I know I have this remembrance of Rick doing a game not involving the Sabres, and how mind-freaked I was.

He called at least one on Fox back during the fighting robot days.

Do you think he played well last night? I'm not being sarcastic -- a number of posters think he did; I do not.

So I have a theory. When an announcing team doesn't call the plays/players, you are forced to rely on your visual perception of what is happening. That is greatly influenced by the camera angles. Last night I found myself really concentrating to watch Boyes play. It was hard to follow him. When RJ calls a game, he gets probably 80% of the play-by-play right/complete. So you hear Vanek this, Vanek that. It is then supported by anything truly positive/negative (like scoring), rushing, tipping, fighting, penalties, etc. I felt he had a decent game, from what I saw. But those guys weren't calling much of the PBP last night.

So I have a theory. When an announcing team doesn't call the plays/players, you are forced to rely on your visual perception of what is happening. That is greatly influenced by the camera angles. Last night I found myself really concentrating to watch Boyes play. It was hard to follow him. When RJ calls a game, he gets probably 80% of the play-by-play right/complete. So you hear Vanek this, Vanek that. It is then supported by anything truly positive/negative (like scoring), rushing, tipping, fighting, penalties, etc. I felt he had a decent game, from what I saw. But those guys weren't calling much of the PBP last night.

That's a great point. I actually started doing play by play in my mind.

Interesting. As it happens, I was at last night's game, so I didn't have any announcers to color my thinking. Not saying that this means I'm right about Vanek not doing much -- just that there were no announcers in the mix for me.

Start the countdown until someone tries to argue that Ruff decides on ice time based on who "earns" it.....

Bing!

Start the countdown until someone tries to argue that Ruff decides on ice time based on who "earns" it.....

Well, I'll bite. It's not like Vanek has been night and day better than anybody else on the roster (well besides neidermayer, but everybody is night and day better than him), so why should he get more ice time than everyone else? Don't get me wrong, he probably is our best player but it just amazes me how inconsistent he can be. Last night he was useless with the puck but had some pivotal screens and a hellacious back-check that probably saved a goal against, or at least a really good chance. Other nights he's invisible offensively and camping at the other team's blue line when the puck is in our own zone. And that one special night or string of nights every so often, he's a spectacular goal-scorer and great defensively (or you just don't notice him being awful defensively because of his great offensive night).

It also is a bit surprising how the fans had sort of a half/half reception to Boyes -- many of us agreed it was a good move, others on twitter and in the media argued Boyes production had declined too much to be worth the money, etc etc -- yet they're in love with Vanek. Vanek scored 40 goals twice but is treated by the media and fans (not to mentioned paid) like a 40 goal scorer. Boyes scored 40 once and 30 the next year but people quickly pointed out his decline in production and criticized taking on that much salary. It's basically the same story... we're paying one potential 35-40 goal scorer $4-4.5 mil and another potential 35-45 goal scorer $6.5 mil.

But all that said Vanek has grown on me quite a lot since 2006 and I'm glad to have him on the team, even if he's overpaid. And I'm also glad to have Boyes on the team for now. I don't think there's any reason Boyes can't work his way back up to a 30 goal scorer with renewed motivation.

Well, I'll bite. It's not like Vanek has been night and day better than anybody else on the roster (well besides neidermayer, but everybody is night and day better than him), so why should he get more ice time than everyone else? Don't get me wrong, he probably is our best player but it just amazes me how inconsistent he can be. Last night he was useless with the puck but had some pivotal screens and a hellacious back-check that probably saved a goal against, or at least a really good chance. Other nights he's invisible offensively and camping at the other team's blue line when the puck is in our own zone. And that one special night or string of nights every so often, he's a spectacular goal-scorer and great defensively (or you just don't notice him being awful defensively because of his great offensive night).

It also is a bit surprising how the fans had sort of a half/half reception to Boyes -- many of us agreed it was a good move, others on twitter and in the media argued Boyes production had declined too much to be worth the money, etc etc -- yet they're in love with Vanek. Vanek scored 40 goals twice but is treated by the media and fans (not to mentioned paid) like a 40 goal scorer. Boyes scored 40 once and 30 the next year but people quickly pointed out his decline in production and criticized taking on that much salary. It's basically the same story... we're paying one potential 35-40 goal scorer $4-4.5 mil and another potential 35-45 goal scorer $6.5 mil.

But all that said Vanek has grown on me quite a lot since 2006 and I'm glad to have him on the team, even if he's overpaid. And I'm also glad to have Boyes on the team for now. I don't think there's any reason Boyes can't work his way back up to a 30 goal scorer with renewed motivation.

well boyes had a way bigger decline than vanek. he went from 43 goals to 33 goals to 14 goals and 42 points last year. that decline is way worse than vaneks decline.

It is always interesting to note how much of the game people miss when they watch hockey.

Archived