2011 Trade Deadline Thread

Eleven

Granted the Sabres should have been more active in adjusting the roster the past couple of years (a true 1st line center would have gone a long way toward making the Sabres a legit contender, and still could go a long way towards that goal), but I'd rather have what we've got (especially with a new owner coming in) than what's been put together by the reincarnation of "Trader Phil."

When you are changing 1/2 of your team every single season, there is very little likelihood of anything coherent showing up on the ice. I concur w/ what X has said repeatedly, Brian Burke being in TO is the gift that keeps giving to the rest of the NE Division.

And, he didn't even have the good sense to NOT trade away what became the 2nd pick overall in the draft last year. If you are going for massive reshuffling, at least hold onto your own #1.

Were they guaranteed the 2nd pick at the time of the trade? I still like the talent Kessel has especially considering his age. I like their physical defense. I have no doubt that if you switched goalies between the Sabres and Leaf, the Leafs would be in the top eight and the Sabres would be dead last in the conference and maybe the league.

Were they guaranteed the 2nd pick at the time of the trade? I still like the talent Kessel has especially considering his age. I like their physical defense. I have no doubt that if you switched goalies between the Sabres and Leaf, the Leafs would be in the top eight and the Sabres would be dead last in the conference and maybe the league.

Was it guaranteed? Of course not. Who could have figured that Edmonton would tank as badly as they did? ;)

another team in the east gets better while the sabres sit idle. We could have traded pommers or connolly or stafford or someone... at this point just do something. By the time the market is "set" all the teams will be "set" and we will get nothing! Good pickup for penns and maybe crosby will come back and have a real winger as his linemate. Wouldnt that be scary

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/STARS-TRADE-NEAL-NISKANEN-to-PENS-for-GOLIGOSKI-Hemsky-Semin-in-PLAY/1/33883 I know its hockeybuzz but he totally called the neal galigoski trade today so maybe we are going to get agressive tomorrow... lets hope :wallbash:

Darren Dreger wrote about Neal to Pitt for Goligoski at about 11am this morning, soon after, Eklund had it on his site. One could argue he had a contact, but one could argue he just copied Dreger.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/STARS-TRADE-NEAL-NISKANEN-to-PENS-for-GOLIGOSKI-Hemsky-Semin-in-PLAY/1/33883 I know its hockeybuzz but he totally called the neal galigoski trade today so maybe we are going to get agressive tomorrow... lets hope :wallbash:

Semin, Hemsky and Richards coming to the sabres per Ecklund. Its too bad the rumors are never true.

Darren Dreger wrote about Neal to Pitt for Goligoski at about 11am this morning, soon after, Eklund had it on his site. One could argue he had a contact, but one could argue he just copied Dreger.

*Darren Dreger is reporting the Pens and Stars may be talking major deal with Goligoski possibly heading to Dallas for James Neal. Checking on this deal I do believe there is something here. Not saying it happens, but both teams are desperate to make something happen.

This was posted on hockeybuzz at 12:31, he gave Dreger his due credit.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=33878&blogger_id=1

Hockeybuzz.com is fun if you are able to take it for what it is, reporting on rumors.

I can't image having enough assets to get one let alone all three.

Seriously. Not to rain on the parade of the dreamers, but Hemsky has a bigger price tag then Penner according to reports, and on the Fan in Edmonton, they were going over trade ideas and one came up with Buffalo and they said it'd take Pysyk and a 1st to land Penner. I just don't see Sabres doing that.

Seriously. Not to rain on the parade of the dreamers, but Hemsky has a bigger price tag then Penner according to reports, and on the Fan in Edmonton, they were going over trade ideas and one came up with Buffalo and they said it'd take Pysyk and a 1st to land Penner. I just don't see Sabres doing that.

I don't want the Sabres to pick up any player unless someone like Craig Patrick is in charge to guide Regier. I would be happy with a roster purge and back-filling from Portland.

How good is Pysyk? Is he better than Sekera? I would throw in Sekera instead to make that happen.

Was reading on one of the many hockey rumor websites yesterday (forgot which one) that Penner just married a Southern California girl and the thought is he is likely to sign with Anaheim next year for that reason. I agree that 2 firsts (Pysyk being one) is too much.

Trading for Penner or Hemsky makes no sense. The Sabres have plenty of depth on the wing. They need centers.

Having said that, I'd give up Pysyk for a crack at a guy like Penner. We have plenty of organizational depth on defence. Not sure I'd want to add a 1st rounder to it but I probably wouldn't howl about it. Penner brings alot of size and skill. We are lacking both.

No way a deal for Penner happens IMO.

ETA- wait... is Penner an FA at the end of the season?

Answered my own question. He's got another season before he's a UFA.

Archived