2011 Trade Deadline Thread

Eleven

Right now the Leafs are about $24 million under the cap for next season. It is going to be really interesting from here on out for Leaf Fans.

I still wonder if Burke has any idea what he is doing. His previous aquisitions leave more than a little to be desired.

Stl get Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk, Con 2nd Rnd pick from Col 4 Erik Johnson, Jay McClement & Con 1st Rnd.

Per TSN

wow!!!

Damn. Johnson was an overall #1 pick in 2006. Darcy get on the stick and start dealing some of our deadwood for some gold!

I still wonder if Burke has any idea what he is doing. His previous aquisitions leave more than a little to be desired.

I liked the Kessel pickup and still do. He is a young player with established NHL talent. IMO, Burke knows exactly what he is doing. He certainly deserves more credit than he gets. Toronto is the #1 hockey market in the world and the toughest to work in. Burke is smartly putting pieces in place and he is not afraid, like a certain GM we all know, to make moves. He picked up Versteeg for a couple of prospects then turned Versteeg over for a 1st and a 3rd. When you are rebuilding a team those are the types of moves that need to be made.

Damn. Johnson was an overall #1 pick in 2006. Darcy get on the stick and start dealing some of our deadwood for some gold!

He didn't come cheap, Shattenkirk and Stewart are both top prospects with NHL experience and former first round picks. Rough equivalent of Ennis and Myers for Johnson & a 3rd line center.

I thought I saw the conditional pick is a 2nd if the Bruins sign Kaberle or make the finals. So the Leafs may end up with two picks each in the first four rounds? Is that correct? I doubt Burke is done at this point. Jean-Sebastien Giguere, if healthy enough, can add to Burke's collection of picks and prospects. Right now the Leafs are about $24 million under the cap for next season. It is going to be really interesting from here on out for Leaf Fans.

Burke has already said that he does not plan on keeping all those picks so I will guarantee he isn't done, but I don't see them getting rid of JS now that he is hurt, and with "the monster" on the shelf in the minors, its doubtful he could get anything in a trade for their goalies.

I liked the Kessel pickup and still do. He is a young player with established NHL talent. IMO, Burke knows exactly what he is doing. He certainly deserves more credit than he gets. Toronto is the #1 hockey market in the world and the toughest to work in. Burke is smartly putting pieces in place and he is not afraid, like a certain GM we all know, to make moves. He picked up Versteeg for a couple of prospects then turned Versteeg over for a 1st and a 3rd. When you are rebuilding a team those are the types of moves that need to be made.

I disagree, he appears to just be throwing cr*p at the wall and seeing what sticks in an attempt to rebuild, and now is trying to start over again after about 1 3/4 years. he has no intentions of building through the draft and has come out and said that he won't be keeping most of those picks and will be using them as trade chips. And these 1st rounders he's picking up are lower values then the ones he gave up for Kessel

i will agree with you that atleast he isn't afraid to make moves unlike someone else :rolleyes: , but making moves that only equate to the team spinning their wheels doesn't make them better.

i would say that Burke should be given GM of the year.............. if he was Bostons GM

I disagree, he appears to just be throwing cr*p at the wall and seeing what sticks in an attempt to rebuild, and now is trying to start over again after about 1 3/4 years.

February 15, 2011 The Leafs obtained forward Aaron Voros from Anaheim for a conditional seventh round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

February 14, 2011 The Leafs traded Kris Versteeg to Philadelphia for first and third round picks in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

February 9, 2011 The Leafs acquired Joffrey Lupul, Jake Gardiner and a conditional fourth round pick in 2013 from Anaheim in exchange for Francois Beauchemin.

August 28, 2010 Leafs sign forward Clarke MacArthur to a one-year contract.

August 27, 2010 Leafs acquire defenceman Matt Lashoff from the Tampa Bay Lightning for forwards Alex Berry and Sefano Giliati.

July 15, 2010 Leafs sign forwards Mike Zigomanis and Joey Crabb and defenceman Danny Richmond.

July 1, 2010 Leafs sign forward Colby Armstrong to a multi-year contract.

June 30, 2010 Leafs acquire Kris Versteeg and Bill Sweatt from Chicago for Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis.

June 26, 2010 Leafs acquire forward Mike Brown from Anaheim for a 5th Round pick in the 2010 Entry Draft.

March 3, 2010 The Leafs acquired Matt Jones, a fifth round draft pick and a seventh round draft pick in 2010 from Phoenix for forward Lee Stempniak.

March 3, 2010 The Leafs acquired a fifth round draft pick in 2010 from New Jersey for defenceman Martin Skoula.

March 2, 2010 The Leafs acquire forward Luca Caputi and defenceman Martin Skoula from Pittsburgh for forward Alexei Ponikarovsky.

January 31, 2010The Leafs acquired J.S. Giguere from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Vesa Toskala and Jason Blake.

January 31, 2010 The Leafs acquired Dion Phaneuf, Fredrik Sjostrom and Keith Aullie from the Calgary Flames in exchange for Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and Ian White.

September 18, 2009 Leafs obtain Phil Kessel from the Boston Bruins for the Leafs 2010 First and Second round picks and the Leafs 2011 first round pick.

July 27, 2009 Leafs acquire Wayne Primeau and a 2nd round pick in 2011 from Calgary for Anton Stralman, Colin Stuart and a 7th round pick in 2012.

July 10, 2009 Leafs sign free agent Rickard Wallin to a one-year contract.

July 7, 2009 Leafs sign free agent goalie Jonas Gustavsson to a one-year contract.

July 6, 2009 Leafs sign free agent Francois Beauchemin to a three-year contract

July 1, 2009 Leafs acquire defenceman Garnet Exelby and forward Colin Stuart from Atlanta for defenceman Pavel Kubina and Tim Stapleton.

July 1, 2009 Leafs sign free-agent defenceman Mike Komisarek to a five-year contract.

July 1, 2009 Leafs sign free agent Colton Orr to a four-year contract.

Mar. 4, 2009 Acquired Olaf Kolzig, Jamie Heward, Andy Rogers and a fourth round draft pick in 2009 from the Tampa Bay Lightning for Richard Petiot.

Mar. 4, 2009 Acquired Carolina's second round draft pick in 2009 (previously acquired) from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Dominic Moore.

Mar. 4, 2009 Acquired a 2009 second round draft pick and a conditional draft pick from the New York Rangers in exchange for Nik Antropov.

Jan. 7, 2009 Acquired forward Brad May from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for a conditional sixth round draft pick in 2010.

:unsure:

I can't make heads or tails of this. It appears the crap sticking to the wall theory is in play here.

I can't make heads or tails of this. It appears the crap sticking to the wall theory is in play here.

And the poor results keep coming with no top picks to show for it due to trading it away for a soft player who is the epitome of what fans on this board hate about the Sabres. Toronto is a tough market to work in, but they also have unlimited resources.

What we're basically saying is we want our team relevant at the deadline and on July 1st regardless of how competitive the season is.

Stl get Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk, Con 2nd Rnd pick from Col 4 Erik Johnson, Jay McClement & Con 1st Rnd.

Per TSN

wow!!!

He didn't come cheap, Shattenkirk and Stewart are both top prospects with NHL experience and former first round picks. Rough equivalent of Ennis and Myers for Johnson & a 3rd line center.

Yeah this trade really surprised me.

Listening to the T.O. media it sounds like it's Boston's pick. Which makes sense because if the Leafs tank at all then it's another lotery pick.

Its Bostons pick so how is this recent trade in any way related to the Kessel trade? The question isn't asked of the post I highlighted but of the posters who link the trades like they are one and the same.

February 15, 2011 The Leafs obtained forward Aaron Voros from Anaheim for a conditional seventh round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

February 14, 2011 The Leafs traded Kris Versteeg to Philadelphia for first and third round picks in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

February 9, 2011 The Leafs acquired Joffrey Lupul, Jake Gardiner and a conditional fourth round pick in 2013 from Anaheim in exchange for Francois Beauchemin.

August 28, 2010 Leafs sign forward Clarke MacArthur to a one-year contract.

August 27, 2010 Leafs acquire defenceman Matt Lashoff from the Tampa Bay Lightning for forwards Alex Berry and Sefano Giliati.

July 15, 2010 Leafs sign forwards Mike Zigomanis and Joey Crabb and defenceman Danny Richmond.

July 1, 2010 Leafs sign forward Colby Armstrong to a multi-year contract.

June 30, 2010 Leafs acquire Kris Versteeg and Bill Sweatt from Chicago for Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis.

June 26, 2010 Leafs acquire forward Mike Brown from Anaheim for a 5th Round pick in the 2010 Entry Draft.

March 3, 2010 The Leafs acquired Matt Jones, a fifth round draft pick and a seventh round draft pick in 2010 from Phoenix for forward Lee Stempniak.

March 3, 2010 The Leafs acquired a fifth round draft pick in 2010 from New Jersey for defenceman Martin Skoula.

March 2, 2010 The Leafs acquire forward Luca Caputi and defenceman Martin Skoula from Pittsburgh for forward Alexei Ponikarovsky.

January 31, 2010The Leafs acquired J.S. Giguere from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Vesa Toskala and Jason Blake.

January 31, 2010 The Leafs acquired Dion Phaneuf, Fredrik Sjostrom and Keith Aullie from the Calgary Flames in exchange for Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and Ian White.

September 18, 2009 Leafs obtain Phil Kessel from the Boston Bruins for the Leafs 2010 First and Second round picks and the Leafs 2011 first round pick.

July 27, 2009 Leafs acquire Wayne Primeau and a 2nd round pick in 2011 from Calgary for Anton Stralman, Colin Stuart and a 7th round pick in 2012.

July 10, 2009 Leafs sign free agent Rickard Wallin to a one-year contract.

July 7, 2009 Leafs sign free agent goalie Jonas Gustavsson to a one-year contract.

July 6, 2009 Leafs sign free agent Francois Beauchemin to a three-year contract

July 1, 2009 Leafs acquire defenceman Garnet Exelby and forward Colin Stuart from Atlanta for defenceman Pavel Kubina and Tim Stapleton.

July 1, 2009 Leafs sign free-agent defenceman Mike Komisarek to a five-year contract.

July 1, 2009 Leafs sign free agent Colton Orr to a four-year contract.

Mar. 4, 2009 Acquired Olaf Kolzig, Jamie Heward, Andy Rogers and a fourth round draft pick in 2009 from the Tampa Bay Lightning for Richard Petiot.

Mar. 4, 2009 Acquired Carolina's second round draft pick in 2009 (previously acquired) from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Dominic Moore.

Mar. 4, 2009 Acquired a 2009 second round draft pick and a conditional draft pick from the New York Rangers in exchange for Nik Antropov.

Jan. 7, 2009 Acquired forward Brad May from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for a conditional sixth round draft pick in 2010.

:unsure:

It's more of a GM being active and not being afraid to make moves than it is any "theory." We are use to Regier being married to his players at the expense of the franchise. Burke will make any move at any time if he feels it will help his team. He doesn't limit himself to two days out of the year like Regier does.

And the poor results keep coming with no top picks to show for it due to trading it away for a soft player who is the epitome of what fans on this board hate about the Sabres. Toronto is a tough market to work in, but they also have unlimited resources.

What we're basically saying is we want our team relevant at the deadline and on July 1st regardless of how competitive the season is.

That is 100% true. A franchise is an ever evolving entity. It doesn't matter if you are in the league's top 10 or bottom ten. You have to be willing to make changes. Look at teams like the Red Wings, Yankees and Patriots. These are teams that have been on top for many years and have been some of the most active teams as far as change. No matter the level of success, if you stand pat you get passed by other teams.

It's more of a GM being active and not being afraid to make moves than it is any "theory." We are use to Regier being married to his players at the expense of the franchise. Burke will make any move at any time if he feels it will help his team. He doesn't limited himself to two days out of the year like Regier does.

I think there is a happy medium between Darcy and Burke.

It's more of a GM being active and not being afraid to make moves than it is any "theory." We are use to Regier being married to his players at the expense of the franchise. Burke will make any move at any time if he feels it will help his team. He doesn't limited himself to two days out of the year like Regier does.

Futility, not genius, has a great hand to play in this.

Nothing says shuffle the deck like averaging 32 wins a year.

Futility, not genius, has a great hand to play in this.

Nothing says shuffle the deck like averaging 32 wins a year.

It's more of a GM being active and not being afraid to make moves than it is any "theory." We are use to Regier being married to his players at the expense of the franchise. Burke will make any move at any time if he feels it will help his team. He doesn't limit himself to two days out of the year like Regier does.

Granted the Sabres should have been more active in adjusting the roster the past couple of years (a true 1st line center would have gone a long way toward making the Sabres a legit contender, and still could go a long way towards that goal), but I'd rather have what we've got (especially with a new owner coming in) than what's been put together by the reincarnation of "Trader Phil."

When you are changing 1/2 of your team every single season, there is very little likelihood of anything coherent showing up on the ice. I concur w/ what X has said repeatedly, Brian Burke being in TO is the gift that keeps giving to the rest of the NE Division.

And, he didn't even have the good sense to NOT trade away what became the 2nd pick overall in the draft last year. If you are going for massive reshuffling, at least hold onto your own #1.

Archived