2011 Trade Deadline Thread

Eleven

With the exception of Connolly and Montador, the rest of what you suggested can still happen in the offseason. Why did it have to happen today?

The reason there were fewer trades than expected is because there were too many teams alive. If you became one of the few sellers in a buy/hold market....you get good value.

A guy like Hecht or Pominville probably won't get a sniff in the offseason. Much like we gave up a 2nd for an overpaid Boyes, today you may have been able to get a 2nd for an overpaid Pominville, or a prospect for an overpaid Hecht.

Montador would get you a 2nd, all day.

Stafford is key because Toronto turned down a 1st and 3rd for MacArthur. Stafford had to be in some ballpark like that.

It's about culture change, and capitalizing on it as soon as possible. We still have no captain on the team, and the weaknesses are still the same. In a misguided effort by the owner to show the players he is "going for it", we gave up a great chance to get a headstart on starting from scratch where we need to and building a winning attitude.

We are about to go on a 7 game road trip, hit the busiest part of the yearly schedule, have Miller play his 40th out of 41 soon, and face high-pressure situations, all after going on a hot streak that outpaced the normal play of the team for the most of the last 4 years.

We have Ted Black and Brad Boyes.

The reason there were fewer trades than expected is because there were too many teams alive. If you became one of the few sellers in a buy/hold market....you get good value.

A guy like Hecht or Pominville probably won't get a sniff in the offseason. Much like we gave up a 2nd for an overpaid Boyes, today you may have been able to get a 2nd for an overpaid Pominville, or a prospect for an overpaid Hecht.

Montador would get you a 2nd, all day.

Stafford is key because Toronto turned down a 1st and 3rd for MacArthur. Stafford had to be in some ballpark like that.

It's about culture change, and capitalizing on it as soon as possible. We still have no captain on the team, and the weaknesses are still the same. In a misguided effort by the owner to show the players he is "going for it", we gave up a great chance to get a headstart on starting from scratch where we need to and building a winning attitude.

We are about to go on a 7 game road trip, hit the busiest part of the yearly schedule, have Miller play his 40th out of 41 soon, and face high-pressure situations, all after going on a hot streak that outpaced the normal play of the team for the most of the last 4 years.

We have Ted Black and Brad Boyes.

Yea or the owner saw a team 2 pts out and said lets go for it. I just bought the team and dont wanna trade the guys i need to make the playoffs for some draft picks. There will time this summer to add talent.

I really hope you're right. I was pissed when we lost him. Dumont is a very good hockey player in my eyes.

IIRC, that was the offseason where several players decided to file for arbitration, and Dumont was one of them. IMO, he was a huge loss.

It was probably a bad comparison in a few ways.

I'm not comparing him to the 2006 Dumont, but the Nashville Predator.

Dumont has been really bad this year here in Nashville. He was recently demoted to the 4th line. I think a good way to characterize his play at times this year is "disinterested." Personally, I like Boyes more than JP for sure.

Yea or the owner saw a team 2 pts out and said lets go for it. I just bought the team and dont wanna trade the guys i need to make the playoffs for some draft picks. There will time this summer to add talent.

I don't blame Pegula for his stance, but much like keeping status quo, it is probably misguided and will cost the team dearly in the end.

To me, it was pretty much what I expected. I would have predicted 1-2 moves with the future in mind. One to bring in that Boyes type with a contract beyond this year and then also a Connolly move. I completely understand why they didn't move on the latter. Like you said, the summer is where we really find out whether or not things have changed.

Boston, Philadelphia and Montreal are all above the Sabres in the standings and each of them made multiple moves in the last few weeks to "tweak" their teams for the playoffs. I don't have any specifics in mind, but the fact is that our direct competition, who already have superior (and in some cases, vastly superior) teams still found ways to bring in those last few players that might push them over the top. As nice a guy as he may be, I don't think bringing in Boyes is going to get us any closer to the playoffs than we could have gotten without him. That being said, the team has been playing better lately and at least they are in contention. Time will tell all.

Boston, Philadelphia and Montreal are all above the Sabres in the standings and each of them made multiple moves in the last few weeks to "tweak" their teams for the playoffs. I don't have any specifics in mind, but the fact is that our direct competition, who already have superior (and in some cases, vastly superior) teams still found ways to bring in those last few players that might push them over the top. As nice a guy as he may be, I don't think bringing in Boyes is going to get us any closer to the playoffs than we could have gotten without him. That being said, the team has been playing better lately and at least they are in contention. Time will tell all.

What? Obviously they are going to make their team better, the flyers and Bruins are probably two of the three favourites in the east. Of course they're going to mortgage the future for a cup run. Montreal didn't really do anything special.

What? Obviously they are going to make their team better, the flyers and Bruins are probably two of the three favourites in the east. Of course they're going to mortgage the future for a cup run. Montreal didn't really do anything special.

So releasing Rivet and trading a pick for Boyes has "improved" the Sabres? Hmmm... Boston already has a monster defenseman in Chara and then they go and pick up Kaberle. I'm not saying that the Sabres COULD have had Kaberle or even SHOULD have tried to get him BUT why is it that the division leaders keep making deals like this and the Sabres can't seem to do anything of equal value at the trade deadline?

I would have taken the Arnott trade. Steckel has 11 points in 60ish games. I'm sure we could have threw TC at them.

I'm uncertain of his contract status so you can hang me on that if you need to.

Steckle just signed a 3 year extension this year and is I believe only 28. NJ would not have taken TC for this even if it would have done something for the Sabres. Also, Arnot had a no trade clause that he agreed to waive to go to a contender, which the Sabres are not. This is a trade of 4th line centers, with Washington looking for a veteran leader for the playoffs. Works for them as they are a legitimate contender this year, but not the Sabres IMO.

So releasing Rivet and trading a pick for Boyes has "improved" the Sabres? Hmmm... Boston already has a monster defenseman in Chara and then they go and pick up Kaberle. I'm not saying that the Sabres COULD have had Kaberle or even SHOULD have tried to get him BUT why is it that the division leaders keep making deals like this and the Sabres can't seem to do anything of equal value at the trade deadline?

Buffalo is a hell of a lot further off than a team like Boston is. What does Buffalo stand to gain by making a move for today?

I don't blame Pegula for his stance, but much like keeping status quo, it is probably misguided and will cost the team dearly in the end.

I dont think it will.

They are going to have gobs of cap space this summer. They can get who they want then. Its not like there was a ton of moves out there or any big stars available--at least that we are aware of.

TheSportsBuff on Trade Deadline: http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=465 :yawn:

If you believe in the theory that many things in sports happen due to a domino effect, then here's why the deadline day was quiet. Capitals and Isles were in talks ALL day about a Alexander Semin for 1st rd pick + Josh Bailey deal, which then Caps could package their and Isles 1st round pick to Edmonton for Ales Hemsky. If that were to happen, teams in the East would start to make much more moves and over pay for talent to "match" the Capitals gain. It was a wait and see type day. Atleast, that's what the experts are saying.

Archived