2011 Trade Deadline Thread

Eleven

I think he used to play on a line with MacArthur in juniors.

They will get goals.......and a minus -40. :D

It's not a move that worries me. And I'm not disagreeing that Burke is the antithesis

of Darcy. Blustery and Proactive (in his mind anyway) while Darcy is Introverted and Patient.

MacArthur, Lupul, Kessle, Kulimin - none of them worry me on a top 6.

I do worry about Kessel though. ;)

Oh crap, now that I posted this, it's going to be moved to another thread.

He's probably perfect for Nashville's system. Of course Carrie Underwood is perfect for Nashville's system too. :lol: The conditional is probably based on her record sales.

Good for Fisher. It was a shame that he married Underwood and then was deprived of being able to hit that each and every night because he was stuck in Ottawa.

You don't really believe that Connolly has more trade value than Fisher, do you? :blink:

Well first of all, I don't believe that is what he said at all. There was no mention of comparing the value of the two players, but there is merit in saying that if Fisher is worth this much, then Connolly's value could be higher than some may have thought.

Onto the heart of your holier-than-thou post, Connolly is a better offensive player than Fisher. That's really not even a question. They are both solid defensively, though Fisher is more physical. Both play regularly on the PP and PK. Both are mediocre in the face-off circle. The one thing that Fisher has over Connolly is he is known to be a leader, maybe something similar to a Drury. Kind of quiet, but it seemed the players on his team looked up to him. They both make about the same amount of money, but Fisher has two years left on his deal, which must be the reason the Preds gave up so much to get him. Still though, I thought it was an awful lot.

Well first of all, I don't believe that is what he said at all. There was no mention of comparing the value of the two players, but there is merit in saying that if Fisher is worth this much, then Connolly's value could be higher than some may have thought.

Onto the heart of your holier-than-thou post, Connolly is a better offensive player than Fisher. That's really not even a question. They are both solid defensively, though Fisher is more physical. Both play regularly on the PP and PK. Both are mediocre in the face-off circle. The one thing that Fisher has over Connolly is he is known to be a leader, maybe something similar to a Drury. Kind of quiet, but it seemed the players on his team looked up to him. They both make about the same amount of money, but Fisher has two years left on his deal, which must be the reason the Preds gave up so much to get him. Still though, I thought it was an awful lot.

good stuff.

But if Tim Connoly had married Carrie Underwood........

I bet his value would jump in Nashville if we can fix him up with - Leann Rimes.

good stuff.

But if Tim Connoly had married Carrie Underwood........

I bet his value would jump in Nashville if we can fix him up with - Leann Rimes.

As crazy as it sounds, there is no doubt in my mind that the local marketing/PR spin that can be generated from this move was a big reason the Preds wanted Mr. Underwood. The Preds do anything and everything to try to attract non-hockey fans to games. As bizarre as it sounds, some people down here will come to games just to see "Carrie's husband" play. For a franchise that has yet to turn a profit, this is important.

As crazy as it sounds, there is no doubt in my mind that the local marketing/PR spin that can be generated from this move was a big reason the Preds wanted Mr. Underwood. The Preds do anything and everything to try to attract non-hockey fans to games. As bizarre as it sounds, some people down here will come to games just to see "Carrie's husband" play. For a franchise that has yet to turn a profit, this is important.

I think we're digging a little too deeply on this one. Poile is a really good GM and he knows what he's looking for in players.

I think we're digging a little too deeply on this one. Poile is a really good GM and he knows what he's looking for in players.

Certainly Mike fits the on ice profile of a guy the Preds might want, but there are other benefits. I chatted with Chris Parker (Preds Executive VP of Marketing) about this very topic on Monday night actually.

From the team via email today: "Fisher will don a number 12 jersey and in recognition of this, the Nashville Predators will offer a special ticket promotion for the Feb. 12 game vs. Colorado. The promotion includes one upper-level seat for $12 or a pair of lower-level seats for $112. These tickets are on sale now through 5 p.m. tomorrow only through the Bridgestone Arena box office or by calling 615-770-PUCK (7825)."

Now this is just funny: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20110210/ottawa-radio-station-bans-carrie-underwood-music-110210/

The front page article in the Tennessean (local Nashville newspaper) has an interesting headline! http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110210/SPORTS02/110210020/Predators-acquire-Carrie-Underwood-s-husband?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

"Predators acquire Carrie Underwood's husband" :wallbash:

I really like this move for the Preds, BTW.

If I were gay, I wouldn't give her advice. She is SO overrated it's not funny. She's not attractive and she's a redneck. I wouldn't offer her a thing.

Mike Fisher from Ottawa for first round pick and a conditional pick. Per USA Today's Kevin Allen.

Nice pickup for Nashville; glad to see that prick is out of the division.

Wow.. I would have loved for this guy to be on the Sabres. That is one helluva deal for Nashville.

I don't understand how Ottawa can make this deal..

If I were gay, I wouldn't give her advice. She is SO overrated it's not funny. She's not attractive and she's a redneck. I wouldn't offer her a thing.

I don't know a thing about her music, or whether she's a redneck. But unattractive? I'm beginning to question the subjunctive mood of your first sentence. Damn, she is a good-looking woman.

Haha -- bitter much?

No kidding. Wow, insecurity.

Wow.. I would have loved for this guy to be on the Sabres. That is one helluva deal for Nashville.

I don't understand how Ottawa can make this deal..

There are some here who want a fire sale already. In Ottawa, it's gotta be on, right? A first-round pick and a conditional is good if that team is going to rebuild. (My bet is that they take over the Leaves' role as the perennial divisional bottom of the totem pole.)

I don't know a thing about her music, or whether she's a redneck. But unattractive? I'm beginning to question the subjunctive mood of your first sentence. Damn, she is a good-looking woman.

No kidding. Wow, insecurity.

There are some here who want a fire sale already. In Ottawa, it's gotta be on, right? A first-round pick and a conditional is good if that team is going to rebuild. (My bet is that they take over the Leaves' role as the perennial divisional bottom of the totem pole.)

It will have to be a slow rebuild. They have three killer contracts, Spezza $7mil 4 more years, Gonchar $5.5 for 2 more years and Michalek at $4.3 for 3 more years. Getting rid of one of those contracts this season would be a huge step forward.

It will have to be a slow rebuild. They have three killer contracts, Spezza $7mil 4 more years, Gonchar $5.5 for 2 more years and Michalek at $4.3 for 3 more years. Getting rid of one of those contracts this season would be a huge step forward.

It will take time, but then again, the first-rounder that they got for Underwood will take time to develop, too.

Hopefully, that team of asshats never recovers from its overspending, but time will tell.

Anyone else see Brian Burke's interview on NHL Network last night? He talks about getting out in front of the pack, getting a head start on the other teams and addressing what he wants to address while the players are still available. Here's a link to an article about the interview.

His deals may not always work out, but you have to admire the effort. Quite a change from old Darcy with his thumb up his a$$ waiting for the market to be set - Burke is out setting the market, and nothing but scraps will be left for Darcy, as per usual.

The team 1040 up in Vancouver did a soundbite of Burkes press conference where he talked ad naseum about being a playoff bound team yada yada yada and they added a laughtrack after every statement he made and it was hilarious. It sounded like he was on stage at yuk yuks.

The team 1040 up in Vancouver did a soundbite of Burkes press conference where he talked ad naseum about being a playoff bound team yada yada yada and they added a laughtrack after every statement he made and it was hilarious. It sounded like he was on stage at yuk yuks.

If they keep a recording of that on a website or something, please give us the link. That will be entertaining.

If they keep a recording of that on a website or something, please give us the link. That will be entertaining.

I went to their website but can't find the recording so I've e mailed them asking if one exists. You can go to their site team 1040 vancouver should get you there. The hosts were Dave Pratt and Don Taylor

Archived