WJC Discussion Thread

Eleven

I would hope someone doing that would immediately be tossed.

I'm not familiar at all with this tournament. Is it supposed to be a home venue for the Americans? Or basically a neutral site? Handing out American flags doesn't seem quite right to me. Are flags of all participating teams handed out for each game?

Someone said the horn blew for each Canadian goal, but no one answered as to whether it blew for Russia's goals.

I perceive this tournament as Olympic in nature.

I believe that it is supposed to be a home venue for the USA, with some neutrality. There are giant--I mean, sixty-foot--replica USA jerseys hanging at the top of each escalator from the entry to the arena. The official logo incorporates elements of the American flag. During the opening ceremony (which took place before the USA game, and not before the first game of the tournament), only the American anthem was played. No anthems were played prior to play, and the American anthem was played after the game because we won the game.

The horn blew for Canadian goals, and a siren sounded for Russian goals. The horn blew for American goals last night, but frankly, when Finland scored twice last night, I was too aggravated to listen for sound effects. If Campbell lets one in against Germany on Thursday, I will pay attention.

V-M, the behavior of most (not all) Canadians at tonight's game was absolutely disgusting. Not just the "let's go Finland" and "Campbell" chants, but openly challenging to fights, etc. I mean, I have always not only respected, but loved, our neighbors over the border, and I was f*cking appalled at what I saw tonight. Maybe too many Boxing Day beers during the 4pm game; I don't know. But Canadians should be ashamed of the contingent they sent to Buffalo today. They were like a bunch of 23-year-old Bills fans after a day of tailgating.

Sounds like you are describing Canadian fans who are also Leaf fans. This portion of our society is underpriveleged, undereducated, mentally abused, and really enjoy Eggo waffles. I think the fact that HSBC doesn't sell the waffles, they were protesting against the entire USA which is typical of Leaf fans. You have to take this behaviour with a shaker of salt since they just don't know right from wrong. They are also probably Bills fans who saw their team get smoked just hours earlier. Mix all that in, and you get the behaviour of a 6 year old that will lash out against anything. Don't be offended, just feel sorry for them. Just take a second and pretend that you're a Leaf fan. Don't try too for too long though, it could be detrimental to your health.

Can we get something straight. Anyone who goes to a sporting event and gets drunk and acts like a complete fool, is just that, A COMPLETE FOOL. I take offense, as a Canadian, with comments like "the contingent you sent." I didn't send anyone to the game. People from Ontario came and acted foolishly. That doesn't paint a picture of Canada.

I get sick of reading comments making this about the countries. It's about some idiots from said country. It happens in all sports, all over the world. But please don't make this about Canada's behaviour. It's about some drunk morons. Guess what, saw some of those at the Olympics in Vancouver and you won't believe this, but some were American!!

It was a half-filled arena, and it was not loud, and so far--through the first--NHL Network is accurately tracking the crowd.

You canucks, please see my remarks in the USA team thread. Control your countrymen; they were complete assh*les tonight. A complete embarrassment to USA-Canada relations. Just drunk jerks.

The same thing happened in the olympics. These boards became a venue for a few loud mouthed americans to berate the Canadians on the board for something we have absolutely no control over nor are we tied to it in any way. Sure I'll control my countrymen,I'll just call up old Tom in Toronta or Louise in Kanata and tell them to keep a leash on their sons and daughters while down in the States. Sure it embarrasses me. Can I personally do anything about it. Get a grip. If I went on a message board everytime I run into an ignorant American and berated all America for it ,I would hope the majority of good American people would set me straight.

The same thing happened in the olympics. These boards became a venue for a few loud mouthed americans to berate the Canadians on the board for something we have absolutely no control over nor are we tied to it in any way. Sure I'll control my countrymen,I'll just call up old Tom in Toronta or Louise in Kanata and tell them to keep a leash on their sons and daughters while down in the States. Sure it embarrasses me. Can I personally do anything about it. Get a grip. If I went on a message board everytime I run into an ignorant American and berated all America for it ,I would hope the majority of good American people would set me straight.

Yeah, that never happens. (Maybe not from you.)

Yeah, that never happens. (Maybe not from you.)

Well you're right but its easy to lump a country of 40 million or say 350 million together and say they are all clones of one another and they all behave the same way or think alike. As far as I'm concerned the idiots who behaved that way are an embarrassment but they aren't even a true representation of all the Canadians at the rink that day never mind of a whole country of citizens. You can be damn sure that if they truly did behave in the way thats being reported that there would have been some Canadians in that crowd who felt extremely embarrassed and shamed. There's a village idiot in every town and unfortunately theres a group of idiots that belong to every country. All I can do is apologize for their behaviour. I can't really do anything from where I'm sitting to control it.

Well you're right but its easy to lump a country of 40 million or say 350 million together and say they are all clones of one another and they all behave the same way or think alike. As far as I'm concerned the idiots who behaved that way are an embarrassment but they aren't even a true representation of all the Canadians at the rink that day never mind of a whole country of citizens. You can be damn sure that if they truly did behave in the way thats being reported that there would have been some Canadians in that crowd who felt extremely embarrassed and shamed. There's a village idiot in every town and unfortunately theres a group of idiots that belong to every country. All I can do is apologize for their behaviour. I can't really do anything from where I'm sitting to control it.

I disagree. I think they were a perfect representation,.. of both countries. In case you haven't noticed, we're all idiots.

Anyone attending a curling match, regardless of country, is an a-hole.

yes.

US Jr team member Emerson Etem on twitter-

"much needed day off, buffalo is a ghost town!! the worst city ever, it makes medicine hat look like paradise, never thought ide say that"

Real classy. The city is bending over backwards for these guys.

"ide"? Really?

US Jr team member Emerson Etem on twitter-

"much needed day off, buffalo is a ghost town!! the worst city ever, it makes medicine hat look like paradise, never thought ide say that"

If we let teenagers opinions shape our lives, we'd all be wearing girls jeans, with gay haircuts, tweeting lol's and omg's about idk's.

Sounds like you are describing Canadian fans who are also Leaf fans. This portion of our society is underpriveleged, undereducated, mentally abused, and really enjoy Eggo waffles. I think the fact that HSBC doesn't sell the waffles, they were protesting against the entire USA which is typical of Leaf fans. You have to take this behaviour with a shaker of salt since they just don't know right from wrong. They are also probably Bills fans who saw their team get smoked just hours earlier. Mix all that in, and you get the behaviour of a 6 year old that will lash out against anything. Don't be offended, just feel sorry for them. Just take a second and pretend that you're a Leaf fan. Don't try too for too long though, it could be detrimental to your health.

Canadian fans/Leaf fans = Raider fans? So sad.

Can we get something straight. Anyone who goes to a sporting event and gets drunk and acts like a complete fool, is just that, A COMPLETE FOOL. I take offense, as a Canadian, with comments like "the contingent you sent." I didn't send anyone to the game. People from Ontario came and acted foolishly. That doesn't paint a picture of Canada.

I get sick of reading comments making this about the countries. It's about some idiots from said country. It happens in all sports, all over the world. But please don't make this about Canada's behaviour. It's about some drunk morons. Guess what, saw some of those at the Olympics in Vancouver and you won't believe this, but some were American!!

Like it or not, these fans are representing Canada so if you are offended, don't direct it at the folks who are affected by these dolts and commenting accordingly. Your offense should be directed at the neandethals wearing Canada jeseys, holding go Canada signs, and overconsuming Canada's finest libations. They are very openly representing you and your country. Your problem isn't with "us".

Just sayin'...

PS. I tried to find an opportunity to put a "you people" in there somewhere but couldn't quite find it. :devil:

Archived