WJC Discussion Thread

Eleven

You're right. These kids--who already are drafted--are comparing Buffalo to such formidable hockey markets as Long Island, LA, Phoenix, and Atlanta. Oh, and Graz, Lund, and St. Petersburg. How can Buffalo compare?

Now I wonder if it might just be some Canadian fans having a little fun.

Just got home from the game. Two embarrassing things...

1. The non-stop booing every time Etem touched the puck and he even got booed when they announced his goal. I could see booing him once or twice at the beginning, but all game long?

2. Where are all the Buffalo hockey fans? There couldn't have been more than 11,000 people there and a good portion of them were fans of Team Canada. No atmosphere whatsoever.

Just got home from the game. Two embarrassing things...

1. The non-stop booing every time Etem touched the puck and he even got booed when they announced his goal. I could see booing him once or twice at the beginning, but all game long?

2. Where are all the Buffalo hockey fans? There couldn't have been more than 11,000 people there and a good portion of them were fans of Team Canada. No atmosphere whatsoever.

Just got back home from watching the Canada - Czech Repub game at HSBC. A couple observations;

1. The Canada fans were L-O-U-D. Especially in the 1st period. I don't think I've ever heard HSBC that loud. And yes, that includes Sabres playoff games. It was deafening at times.

2. I didn't see any unruly fans. Loud? Yes. Into the event? You bet. Were a few a bit intoxicated? Sure. But none were acting over the line that I saw. I wish more Sabres home crowds were that vocal and into the game.

3. Ho-Lee Snot can Canada put pressure on the puck and puck carrier. Every time a white uni had the puck a player with a red uni was on him in a flash. And the Canada forecheck was a thing of beauty. The Czech defenders never had a moment to breathe when the puck was in their zone. Pressure, pressure, pressure, at all times.

4. The officiating was down right awful and def inconsistant. The 1st period was called very tight. Too tight IMO. The 1st 2 Canada goals were on powerplays that Canada should not have had. Phantom calls IMO. Then in the 2nd period there seemed to be a reversal and the whistles didn't come out when they should have. Both goalies were run with no calls. There was an elbow to the head of a Canada player that went uncalled. And Canada got away with some questionable late hits too. It didn't appear biased to me. The calls and no-calls that were BS went both ways. And in the 3rd the officiating went just plain stupid. At one point a Czech ran interference on Foligno. The two went down and the Czech player held Foligno down. Foligno gave the kid a facewash which resulted in more holding. And Foligno responded with several crosschecks on the Czech player down on the ice. All of which was watched very closely by a ref standing less than 15' away. The ref didn't put up his arm to call a penalty until both players started to skate away and the Czech player grabbed Foligno's arm one last time. The whole thing lasted at least 10-12 seconds. It was a crazy sequence of events that wouldn't get let go even during NHL playoffs. For it to be watched and let go for that long in international play was suprising.

5. The Kassian hit looked pretty clean to me at real speed. What I saw was Kassian came a long way to line that kid up. I don't know if the kid saw Kassian coming but he dished the puck off and Kassian just looked very determined to finish the check he so carefully lined up. I didn't see his elbow come up and the kids head didn't seem to hit the ice. I really can't figure out how he was hurt so bad because I don't think Kassian connected with that kid's head. Oh, and to add on to the crappy officiating... Neither ref had their hand up indicating a penalty on the hit. Play went on for a short time and neither ref looked to be indicating a penalty. And after play was stopped neither ref indicated a penalty either. It wasn't until the kid was being carried off the ice that the officials started to talk about it. One official then went to the Canada bench and called for a player to go to the box. When the fans saw that #8 was skating to the box instead of Kassian (#9) they all new Kassian was being tossed and they all got a bit unruly. It struck me that the officials didn't see a penalty but felt obligated to make a call because a Czech player was wheeled off the ice on a stretcher.

6. Foligno and Kassian. Foligno was the more impressive of the two. He was always around the puck and seemed to always be in the play. And he hits everything. Holy cow does he like to hit. He doesn't put himslef out of position to make a hit but he won't curl away just because an opponent has passed the puck off. He made life as a Czech defensman absolutely miserable. Kassian gets ALOT of room out there. Noone in a white jersey seemed to want to mess with him. He does a nice job of anticipating plays. He backchekcs effectively. Had several stiff checks in the game. And looked very comfortable on the #1 PP unit for Canada. He is more than just a big, mean guy. He skates well and handled the puck well in traffic. Kassian seemed more comfortable with the puck than Foligno but Foligno always seemed to be around where the puck was going. These 2 guys are going to be fun to watch in blue and gold.

Thanks for the write up dude, I can't wait either for these guys to wearing the Blue and Gold....... :thumbsup:

Can we get something straight. Anyone who goes to a sporting event and gets drunk and acts like a complete fool, is just that, A COMPLETE FOOL. I take offense, as a Canadian, with comments like "the contingent you sent." I didn't send anyone to the game. People from Ontario came and acted foolishly. That doesn't paint a picture of Canada.

I get sick of reading comments making this about the countries. It's about some idiots from said country. It happens in all sports, all over the world. But please don't make this about Canada's behaviour. It's about some drunk morons. Guess what, saw some of those at the Olympics in Vancouver and you won't believe this, but some were American!!

First and foremost, let me say that I concur with your sentiments...please do not think that I think that Americans are perfect by ANY means!

I think it is rooted deeper than just these international hockey tournaments. It stems from professional hockey games as well, when the Sabres play the Canadiens, Leafs, and/or Senators. The people who come down from Canada clearly misrepresent your country with the way in which they behave. Moreover, when Canadian consumers come down and trash the Galleria Mall and Niagara Factory Outlets, littering it with empty boxes and such because they do not want to claim their new purchases with customs, I find it appalling. These aforementioned people are the rudest (acting like WNY owes them something for coming here) and most disrespectful people (making fun of area, people, America) to come across...and to their awful disposition and behavior I say: DO NOT CROSS THE BORDER IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT HERE.

Inversely, I sat next to two very nice Team Canada fans at the game. They did not talk sh*t to me all game like people in the rows in front of me, said that some Team USA chances and moves were good hockey plays, and had nice conversations with my brother and I. THAT is what is should be about! We can agree to disagree, but still be level-headed sports fans with a respectable passion for the game.

Hockey and shopping behavior aside, the thing the struck that hugest chord with me was the purposeful upside-down-turning of the American flag a lot of Canadians did, the placement of the flag in the genital region, and the dry-humping of it. Additionally, the removal of it from the stick and stepping on it. Ushers were giving these flags out with the intention of USA support; if your intention was not to not support Team USA during the game, do not take the free offering. Moreover, when the anthem is playing, do not yell curse words, mock the Sabres, and rub the flag on your genitals. Anthems represent your country and I have strong patriotism. People are dying for me on a daily basis and it irks me SO much when I see this type of behavior. In fact, I found it preposterous that the Finland national anthem was not played before the game. Unacceptable. I can take drunken fans and debauchery, but I cannot take intentional lack of respectful for another country in general.

First and foremost, let me say that I concur with your sentiments...please do not think that I think that Americans are perfect by ANY means!

I think it is rooted deeper than just these international hockey tournaments. It stems from professional hockey games as well, when the Sabres play the Canadiens, Leafs, and/or Senators. The people who come down from Canada clearly misrepresent your country with the way in which they behave. Moreover, when Canadian consumers come down and trash the Galleria Mall and Niagara Factory Outlets, littering it with empty boxes and such because they do not want to claim their new purchases with customs, I find it appalling. These aforementioned people are the rudest (acting like WNY owes them something for coming here) and most disrespectful people (making fun of area, people, America) to come across...and to their awful disposition and behavior I say: DO NOT CROSS THE BORDER IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT HERE.

Inversely, I sat next to two very nice Team Canada fans at the game. They did not talk sh*t to me all game like people in the rows in front of me, said that some Team USA chances and moves were good hockey plays, and had nice conversations with my brother and I. THAT is what is should be about! We can agree to disagree, but still be level-headed sports fans with a respectable passion for the game.

Hockey and shopping behavior aside, the thing the struck that hugest chord with me was the purposeful upside-down-turning of the American flag a lot of Canadians did, the placement of the flag in the genital region, and the dry-humping of it. Additionally, the removal of it from the stick and stepping on it. Ushers were giving these flags out with the intention of USA support; if your intention was not to not support Team USA during the game, do not take the free offering. Moreover, when the anthem is playing, do not yell curse words, mock the Sabres, and rub the flag on your genitals. Anthems represent your country and I have strong patriotism. People are dying for me on a daily basis and it irks me SO much when I see this type of behavior. In fact, I found it preposterous that the Finland national anthem was not played before the game. Unacceptable. I can take drunken fans and debauchery, but I cannot take intentional lack of respectful for another country in general.

WOW!

It's loud and clear on tv, that's for sure.

Come on Buffalo. Do we really want to be THOSE people?

I could honestly care less about what an 18 year hockey player from California thinks about Buffalo. The dude fell so far below his slotting in the draft that he was picked up by his hometown team, after they made their initial selection, probably just to sell some tickets.

Are these fans pointed out to ushers/security/whoever?

There were a few on the board who reported this idiotic behaviour during the finland/U.S.A. game the first day of the tournament. Are you referring to that game? I would hope that the host country and the fans of the U.S. wouldn't have to put up with these a$$clowns every game and that the security would start throwing them out on their heads. That being said, when and why does the behaviour of Canadian shoppers who may or may not disrespect your malls(?) and city come into play in this discussion. Every Canadian on this board agrees that the Canadian fans that disrespect the host country or its people are idiots but don't bring up the behaviour of shoppers who support your failing economy and ( apparently) leave cardboard boxes behind. Provide them with a cardboard box dumpster and encourage them to continue supporting your economy. BUT that has nothing to do with the behaviour of the small percentage of Canadians that are acting like idiots at the tournament. If you want to start a pissing match about incident of boorish or disrespectful behaviour by what we term 'ugly Americans' up here in Canada on vacation we Canadians could fill the board. I could personally recount numerous incidents from my own perspective being that I grew up in an area where Americans Good and bad liked to enjoy the sportfishing. I won't because this isn't the place and I realize that they do not offer a true representation of good American people in general. Grow some thicker skin and write a letter to the National Post up in Toronto if you have concerns. Everyone in Canada will know about these fan incidents very quickly if it is carried by the post and people will be embarrassed and quite frankly appalled. Great win by the U.S. last night!

I went to the game yesterday and there was some of both. There were Canadian fans that I'd love to punch in the face and there were some Canada fans that were really cool. Luckily the punch in the face ones were a few rows away, and the ones that were cool were right behind us. I'm glad Buffalo is in an area where Canadians can come down and enjoy some hockey they might not get in Canada with ticket prices and demand so high in Toronto, but don't be disrespectful to our country here. The stuff I saw them doing to our flag is just uncalled for. Especially in a game where Canada isn't even playing. I'd say 85% of the Canadians I encountered I didn't have a problem with. But as with anything, it's the 15% that make the most noise, and get the most attention. Maybe as Canadian fans other Canadians should go up to them and tell them they're giving Canada a bad name.

Kassian suspended (automatically for tonights game vs Norway) for an additional game. So he'll miss the Sweden game on NYEve.

That's an awfully severe penalty considering he wasn't targeting that kid's head at all.

I wonder if the Czech player that speared a guy in the nuts got an extra game? That was truly intent to injure and should get a more severe penalty that one given to a guy just trying to finish his check.

That's an awfully severe penalty considering he wasn't targeting that kid's head at all.

I wonder if the Czech player that speared a guy in the nuts got an extra game? That was truly intent to injure and should get a more severe penalty that one given to a guy just trying to finish his check.

Kassian finished his Czech, all right.

I think the IIHF takes these hits more seriously than the NHL does. Especially since it's still youth hockey. I wouldn't have been surprised if the extended suspension were even longer.

Too bad, though; I wanted to watch more of him.

"Finish" in what sense? It's a legal hit in the NHL, since the puck was just gone. But you have to admire a league that doesn't sanction that kind of hit. The puck was gone, Kassian didn't have to lay the guy out.

1. The Canada fans were L-O-U-D. Especially in the 1st period. I don't think I've ever heard HSBC that loud. And yes, that includes Sabres playoff games. It was deafening at times.

2. I didn't see any unruly fans. Loud? Yes. Into the event? You bet. Were a few a bit intoxicated? Sure. But none were acting over the line that I saw. I wish more Sabres home crowds were that vocal and into the game.

I saw some "ugly Canadians" on display in my section. Some teenage kid sitting behind me was wearing a Team USA jersey and they spent the entire game harassing him. I would understand a little back-and-forth but it lasted the entire game and he was just some kid at the game with his dad.

After Kassian left a guy unconscious on the ice (with a hit that I really didn't have much of a problem with), they were basically laughing and yelling even after there were EMTs bringing a stretcher out onto the ice. It's important to remember that these people were enjoying an injury that happened to a kid playing in a hockey tournament for teenagers.

And of course some of the Canadians who stuck around for the USA-Slovakia game were so drunk that there were fights. One section over, four of them decided to go after some middle-aged man sitting a few rows in front of them -- actually following him down the stairs before he finally turned around and decked the one closest to him (the other three took this as their cue to start swinging away).

Canadians are really nice people when you visit but the ones who come to our country for hockey have this bizarre mentality where the goal is to get as drunk as possible as fast as possible and then act as obnoxious as possible. It's the complete opposite of how you'd think people want to act when they're visiting someone else's home. Stomping on US flags? Picking fights? Get a life, losers.

6. Foligno and Kassian. Foligno was the more impressive of the two. He was always around the puck and seemed to always be in the play. And he hits everything. Holy cow does he like to hit. He doesn't put himslef out of position to make a hit but he won't curl away just because an opponent has passed the puck off. He made life as a Czech defensman absolutely miserable. Kassian gets ALOT of room out there. Noone in a white jersey seemed to want to mess with him. He does a nice job of anticipating plays. He backchekcs effectively. Had several stiff checks in the game. And looked very comfortable on the #1 PP unit for Canada. He is more than just a big, mean guy. He skates well and handled the puck well in traffic. Kassian seemed more comfortable with the puck than Foligno but Foligno always seemed to be around where the puck was going. These 2 guys are going to be fun to watch in blue and gold.

Despite all the attention Kassian is getting today, I also thought Foligno was the more impressive of the two. He was everywhere on the ice, getting in people's faces and finishing hits. He was completely in the goalie's head in the third period after they couldn't get him away from the front of the net (even drew a penalty after the frustrated Czech goalie finally slashed him in the back of the leg).

I was impressed that Kassian was on Canada's first team PP in front of the net though. He was on the ice for both of their first period goals. Kassian and Foligno should really change the Sabres persona next season as we'll be adding two big guys who hit, crash the net, and can't be intimidated.

After Kassian left a guy unconscious on the ice (with a hit that I really didn't have much of a problem with), they were basically laughing and yelling even after there were EMTs bringing a stretcher out onto the ice. It's important to remember that these people were enjoying an injury that happened to a kid playing in a hockey tournament for teenagers.

I saw a fair amount of that from my seat as well.

Stay classy. :bag:

Archived