WJC Discussion Thread

Eleven

Listening to these announcers get massive boners everytime a Canuck does something is a little unnerving.

I think they really want to suck their ######.

Agreed. That was not a hook against Foligno at all and no mention of it. Glad it didn't decide the game.

Great game to watch but we couldn't hold the lead what...3 or 4 times so we probably didn't deserve to win that one. Sucks to loose it in the shootout but we could just as easily have won it in the shootout. So what,we have to play another game. Good effort boys. Foligno is going to look good in a sabres uni.

I didn't know Don Luce stole Mogilney one step ahead of the KGB! Wow, I'd like to read more about that

I was thinking the same thing - anyone know if the Mogilny defection story is documented in any of the Sabres' books?

All I remember is something about a mysterious phone call to the Sabres offices where the voice on the other end said "Alex Mogilny is ready to defect." From there I don't remember hearing anything else.

I was thinking the same thing - anyone know if the Mogilny defection story is documented in any of the Sabres' books?

All I remember is something about a mysterious phone call to the Sabres offices where the voice on the other end said "Alex Mogilny is ready to defect." From there I don't remember hearing anything else.

From a Google search on "Alexander Mogilny Defection":

=1&cHash=27461b38cb"]Read me

Hi Bm and Happy New Year.

It's detailed at the end of Budd Bailey's "History of the Buffalo Sabres."

Thanks, PA - and a Happy New Year to you too.

Thanks for the tip - I might have to check with the family and see if my father or brothers have that book. I don't have it in my collection...(and thanks weave for the link).

I will buy that book for this reason alone. And on EDIT, weave, thanks for the link; that was a really cool read.

Nice hit. I can't wait until Foligno and Kassian are battling for the league lead in face-off percentage. :rolleyes:

I may also want to remind some folks that Dan freakin Paille was the OHL (?) body checker of the year. It's a lot easier to line up junior caliber players than NHLers. I'm not saying Foligno & Kassian's games won't translate but lets wait until they get here and do it.

I will buy that book for this reason alone. And on EDIT, weave, thanks for the link; that was a really cool read.

You won't find it, I'm afraid. Some hits come back for various online bookstores and sites, but I haven't been able to actually find one for sale. (And at the moment it's not coming up on eBay.) It's really a remarkable effort by the Sabres -- my copy is disbound I've read it so many times.

You won't find it, I'm afraid. Some hits come back for various online bookstores and sites, but I haven't been able to actually find one for sale. (And at the moment it's not coming up on eBay.) It's really a remarkable effort by the Sabres -- my copy is disbound I've read it so many times.

Yeah, I noticed that last night. Maybe the library.

Thanks, PA - and a Happy New Year to you too.

Thanks for the tip - I might have to check with the family and see if my father or brothers have that book. I don't have it in my collection...(and thanks weave for the link).

I'll give the gist of the details a little later if I get ambitious. Basically, Don Luce got the call from Stockholm, Sweden where Mogo was playing at the World Championship(s?). Luce and GM Gerry Meehan rushed over and got Alex out.

Medal Round (all games at HSBC Arena, Buffalo)

• Jan. 2 Canada (2B) vs. Switzerland (3A) (quarterfinal) - 3:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 2 Finland (2A) vs. Russia (3B) (quarterfinal) - 7:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 3 Semifinals – Sweden (1B) vs. Russia-Finland winner - 3:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 3 Semifinals – USA (1A) vs. Canada-Switzerland winner - 7:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 5 Bronze-Medal Game - 3:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 5 Gold-Medal Game - 7:30 p.m.

As I sit here drinking coffee and recovering from last nights festivities, all I can think about is how giddy I am over the idea of Marcus Foligno in a Sabres sweater next season. That kid gives me a sports chubby.

Yeah, I said it.

ALLLLL the hype seems to be directed at Kassian (who deserves much of it because he's the type of prospect we've always dreamed about) but I think Foligno has been the more impressive player. Can't wait for these guys to be Sabres next year.

ALLLLL the hype seems to be directed at Kassian (who deserves much of it because he's the type of prospect we've always dreamed about) but I think Foligno has been the more impressive player. Can't wait for these guys to be Sabres next year.

I want BOTH up with us next year.....slowly but surely we can weed out the softness that has plagued this team for years

Archived