Sabres Jerseys for 2011

BringBackBodger

It should also be noted that you can't just decide to change jerseys just like that. The league has to be notified - I don't know how far in advance, but certainly at least a season. If I recall Golisano wanted to return to the original logo a couple of years back. Perhaps it took this long before the league OK'ed it.

It should also be noted that you can't just decide to change jerseys just like that. The league has to be notified - I don't know how far in advance, but certainly at least a season. If I recall Golisano wanted to return to the original logo a couple of years back. Perhaps it took this long before the league OK'ed it.

Someone knows the answer to this, but I think u can only change or have a new third every third year?

Larry Quinn is a genious. Capitalize on a great team in a championship starved city with a purposefully crappy jersey that almost anyone will buy to show their support. A couple years later create a set of jerseys everyone will love and bring back the fans that hated the slug. It's like making twice the money on two years of good hockey. :bag:

If you go far enough back, the Yankees have had different uniforms than the ones they wear now. That doesn't mean they haven't had a consistent look for most of their history, and certainly for their most relevant years.

Every team has had minor tweaks over the years, but the Leafs have always looked like the Leafs, the Habs have always looked like the Habs, the Red Wings have always looked like the Red Wings, etc.

The Sabres lost all uniform consistency over the last 13 years. The 1970, 1996, and 2006 Sabres look like three different franchises. People make fun of the Islanders' Gorton's Fisherman, but even that is a less jarring change than what the Sabres did in 1996 and 2006. Hopefully they can finally start repairing the damage.

The Loafs have had pretty substantial uni mods but (at least since they went to b&w) have always kept them b&w and kept a maple leaf as the primary crest. The only reason they "always looked like the Leafs" is because they were still only b&w and while they did significantly modify the logo through the years even Harold Ballard was smart enough to always keep the logo looking like a friggin' leaf. They were never pinheaded enough to make it look like a sea cucumber.

It's kind of interesting that the Sabres and 'Nucks came into the league together because they are the only 2 teams that I can think of that have stayed in the same location and have had at least 3 completely unrelated primary logos. The Isles and Caps have had 2, the Pens, Yotes and Sens have had 2 very different versions of the same theme. The Kings have had several but all were based upon either their shield or the crown which is a part of the shield. Others have also tweaked the logos (discounting 3rds for the time being), but only the Class of '70 managed to come up w/ a hockey rink, a hockey skate, and an orca and a logo that describes the entire team name w/ no words or letters (a buffalo and sabers), one that describes the city (shatanic goat :huh:), and one that denotes what management thinks of its fan base (abominal snot smear).

^^ Both.

Away.... either Myers or Ennis (but still not sold he'll be 63 for ever)

Third..... Vanek

I'll probably get both at some point. I've been thinking Ennis for the white one too, but just like you, that number scares me a bit. The 3rd, I have no clue at all. I like to go a little off the board with my jerseys most of the time (like my blue Grier jersey), but with that being a one shot deal, maybe I go the Myers or Miller route there.

So I guess the next question is will you buy one or both and will you put a name on them?

I will buy both at some point. I have a feeling that the aways' striping will look a little better in real light, so I will probably get that one first. Eventually, I'll get a third, too. Of course, the real question is: will I swap the Mair name plate on my now home jersey for an Ennis one when he switches numbers (was 22 in juniors and for Canada, and he can't use his Portland number)?

Just reading a few reviews of the new jerseys and laughing my ass off.

Two of my favorite replies:

They should put the pictures of Regier and Ruff on them since they are fixtures in the organization.

Why bother spending the money on names? Players don't stay here long enough to bother putting names on jerseys

I'm STILL laughing.....

The Loafs have had pretty substantial uni mods but (at least since they went to b&w) have always kept them b&w and kept a maple leaf as the primary crest. The only reason they "always looked like the Leafs" is because they were still only b&w and while they did significantly modify the logo through the years even Harold Ballard was smart enough to always keep the logo looking like a friggin' leaf. They were never pinheaded enough to make it look like a sea cucumber.

Sooooo....are you agreeing with me? Because like I said, the Leafs always look like the Leafs. You have to go back decades to find a uniform that doesn't basically look like what they're wearing this year (which is an update of what they wore last year).

They should put the pictures of Regier and Ruff on them since they are fixtures in the organization.

Why bother spending the money on names? Players don't stay here long enough to bother putting names on jerseys

Players don't stay here long enough? That's a weird thing to say when most of the fan base is sick of the core group of players we're heading into the year with. How long has Connolly been here? Roy? Stafford? Gaustad?

If anything the team is lame because they never pull the trigger on any significant trades. Or sign anyone.

Stay the course. Darcy knows what he's doing.... :unsure:

Players don't stay here long enough? That's a weird thing to say when most of the fan base is sick of the core group of players we're heading into the year with. How long has Connolly been here? Roy? Stafford? Gaustad?

If anything the team is lame because they never pull the trigger on any significant trades. Or sign anyone.

Stay the course. Darcy knows what he's doing.... :unsure:

The poster was referring to Briere, Drury, Campbell, etc. Players with real talent who always seem to leave at their peak. But I realize what you're saying regarding the core. Unfortunately none of the core (with the exception of Miller) can be considered stars.

Sooooo....are you agreeing with me? Because like I said, the Leafs always look like the Leafs. You have to go back decades to find a uniform that doesn't basically look like what they're wearing this year (which is an update of what they wore last year).

No, I'm not. To say that swapping to full length white arms on blue sweaters from blue sweaters w/ white rings at the elbows, and back, is a "minor tweak" is misleading. The unis from the '70's / 80's do not look basically like what they're wearing this year.

They were readily identifiable as the Loafs in either version because the Loafs are the only team in the league to only wear b&w. To state that it's a minor tweak, to me anyway, implies that the change would be more or less unnoticed by the casual fan. That's not the case; no one would confuse a Darryl Sittler 'C' w/ a Mats Sundin 'C'.

The Blues have always been identifiable as the Blues, or in otherwords have "looked like the Blues", even though they significantly revamp the styling because their many permutations have always been primarily blue and their gold & white trim has been distinctive from the Sabres' piping.

Being readily identifiable to someone who only knows how the team looks today is not the same as only having made minor tweaks to the uni through the years. The Habs, Wings, and Hawks can say they essentially haven't changed their unis since the Sabres entered the league. The B's, Strangers, and Loafs can not make that claim.

I'm STILL laughing.....

Just change the B to an R.

No, I'm not. To say that swapping to full length white arms on blue sweaters from blue sweaters w/ white rings at the elbows, and back, is a "minor tweak" is misleading. The unis from the '70's / 80's do not look basically like what they're wearing this year.

They were readily identifiable as the Loafs in either version because the Loafs are the only team in the league to only wear b&w. To state that it's a minor tweak, to me anyway, implies that the change would be more or less unnoticed by the casual fan. That's not the case; no one would confuse a Darryl Sittler 'C' w/ a Mats Sundin 'C'.

I never said "unnoticed." I said the Leafs always look like the Leafs.

Every now and then they'll have some team event where players from several different decades all stand together wearing the jerseys they wore then they were on the team. And all the jerseys go together!

They can pluck some uniform from the 70's and use it as their alternate for this year -- and it'll work. Go full-retro and use uniforms from the 60's for home/road with a 90's uniform as the alternate? Yeah, it'll work. Lots of different jerseys that all look like they're part of one cohesive set.

The 1996 Sabres look like a completely different franchise than the 1995 Sabres, and the 2006 Sabres look like a third franchise. Now -- FINALLY -- the 2010 Sabres look like the same franchise as the 1970-1995 team. Hopefully they last at least 10 years and we can look the other way on the years that don't make sense.

No complaints here about the third jersey. Pleasantly surprised to see the royal blue. Damn, the contrast with the midnight blue is pretty striking. I wish that blue wasn't so dark. Away jerseys look awesome.

So, finally, most of Sabredom has to be happy with the look. Shouldn't have taken seven years to get here.

Can we all agree they need to leave things alone now?

Archived