Sabres Jerseys for 2011

BringBackBodger

I know there are rumors that the Sabres are going with new jerseys next year. (Maybe making the throwbacks the permanent home and away and adding a new third alternate.) Has this been made official yet? I haven't heard Darcy or Larry Quinn speak on it recently. I noticed at the draft last night they had our 1st RD pick wear what is now the home "throwback" and the logo on the big draft board was the crossing swords - not the "slug." Makes me think they are going to switch.....

Any info would be appreciated.

Larry Quinn has stated several times on WGR that they are going to make last years thirds the new "home", and a white version of that will be "away". They will also have a new third this year, only to be worn for the 40th anniversary season. If you do a quick search you'll find a couple different mock images of that.

I loved not seeing any slugs last night (except those that TSN used)

I like that look but this is clearly another money grab by Quinn and co. Why the need to change uniforms every 3 years or so?

Because of the collossal f-job they did with the slug. It was such an easy thing. A buffalo and some swords, mix in blue and gold and voilà.

I like that look but this is clearly another money grab by Quinn and co. Why the need to change uniforms every 3 years or so?

It's a move back to (basically) the original uniform, which is a little different than going to a whole new uniform again. As for "every three years", it was about three too long to ditch the Slug. I will give you that they probably waited until next season in order to maximize the return from the switch, as it will de done during their 40th.

Like I said I like the look and the fact its more along the lines of the traditional blue and gold old style look does it for me. There's something to be said about sticking to tradition. If it ain't broken don't fix it. That slugalo did suck.

I know there are rumors that the Sabres are going with new jerseys next year. (Maybe making the throwbacks the permanent home and away and adding a new third alternate.) Has this been made official yet? I haven't heard Darcy or Larry Quinn speak on it recently. I noticed at the draft last night they had our 1st RD pick wear what is now the home "throwback" and the logo on the big draft board was the crossing swords - not the "slug." Makes me think they are going to switch.....

You must be Larry Quinn. Who else would be concerned with new jerseys the morning after the first round of the draft?

The switch already started. The Slug was scrubbed from the team website last season and there's a reason our center ice logo is the old logo (with the added silver). More importantly, the Sabres only wore the throwback at home during the playoffs last season. The dark blue banana slug jerseys were already a thing of the past by the time the playoffs started last year.

And Quinn has confirmed new uniforms for this season (and our 40th anniversary) several times on WGR.

??

Unless I'm really hung over and didn't realize that I slept a really long time, it is 2010. If there is not another lockout, the season will start in 2010. And the 2010 draft is going on right now.

the slug was a bad logo but the way the color scheme looked on the slug jerseys was awesome.

I don't even need to ask... I can tell you're "young" by this comment. No one that has been following the Sabres since 70's and 80's would say this. Doesn't mean you're wrong, just that even the "color scheme" of the Slug jersey made folks like me that grew up in the 70's "ill".

If you watched the draft last night, you noticed that the logo used on the board and any signs in the arena was the crossing swords logo. That's all the proof anyone needs that this is official. They always use a team's primary logo for the draft. I was kind of hoping they would have the white jersey for the players, but we'll see it soon enough.

Unless I'm really hung over and didn't realize that I slept a really long time, it is 2010. If there is not another lockout, the season will start in 2010. And the 2010 draft is going on right now.

I got it as I was coming back into the thread. Missed the "2011" and just thought "next season".

Based on rumors and some recently released hats, my current guess is something like this:

post-1053-1277564999348_thumb.jpg

I'd be surprised if the 3rds don't have the number on the front of the jersey also, since they were the first team to do that..

I've seen a different "screenshot" where they basically use the "Buffalo" from the front of the Bison's old bottle cap sweaters. It looked really nice.

I don't even need to ask... I can tell you're "young" by this comment. No one that has been following the Sabres since 70's and 80's would say this. Doesn't mean you're wrong, just that even the "color scheme" of the Slug jersey made folks like me that grew up in the 70's "ill".

I don't think you have to be older to hate the slug. I'm only 23 and I think that jersey sucks and am happy to be seeing that era end. I also enjoy the goathead for nostalgia since it's the jersey I grew up watching. For heritage sake though I love the old jerseys the best.

I don't think you have to be older to hate the slug. I'm only 23 and I think that jersey sucks and am happy to be seeing that era end. I also enjoy the goathead for nostalgia since it's the jersey I grew up watching. For heritage sake though I love the old jerseys the best.

the black goathead jerseys were awesome. black jerseys rule.

Because of the collossal f-job they did with the slug. It was such an easy thing. A buffalo and some swords, mix in blue and gold and voilà.

If it was such a cluster f why is the so called slug the second or third top selling jersey/merchandise in the league? It obviously resonated. If you get rid of it you're a potentially jetisonning a HUGE revenue stream and we all know the small market song. Makes no sense.

Why throw the baby out with the bath water. I say keep the "slug" as a third jersey and go back to the throwbacks as the main uni's as a compromise. Why can't everyone be happy with that? Losing the slug will hurt bigtime at the soueveir stands, I assure you. To all of you stuck in the 70s (Buffalo's biggest problem: always looking in the rear view mirror) I'm warning you about this with peace and love.

If it was such a cluster f why is the so called slug the second or third top selling jersey/merchandise in the league?

It was released when the team was coming off a near-Cup run and started the season with a huge win streak. Of course it sold well. Besides, as noted above, many people like the jersey itself in spite of the logo. Even at the time, though, there were tons of people waiting for the thirds to be released, but they kept delaying it and stocking out.

If you get rid of it you're a potentially jetisonning a HUGE revenue stream and we all know the small market song. Makes no sense.
Losing the slug will hurt bigtime at the soueveir stands, I assure you.

Do you know for sure that it's still selling well?

I say keep the "slug" as a third jersey and go back to the throwbacks as the main uni's as a compromise. Why can't everyone be happy with that?

Because it's that bad. They wear thirds almost as much as homes, so they'd just be swapping those two.

If it was such a cluster f why is the so called slug the second or third top selling jersey/merchandise in the league? It obviously resonated. If you get rid of it you're a potentially jetisonning a HUGE revenue stream and we all know the small market song. Makes no sense.

They won the friggin President's Trophy the year they started using the Slug. Plus, it was a brand new jersey. The no.1 selling jersey in the NFL this summer is a Tim Tebow Broncos jersey. Does that mean he's the no.1 player in the NFL? No, it means it's a brand new product on the market and everyone who loves Peyton Manning isn't buying the exact same jersey year after year.

Why throw the baby out with the bath water. I say keep the "slug" as a third jersey and go back to the throwbacks as the main uni's as a compromise. Why can't everyone be happy with that? Losing the slug will hurt bigtime at the soueveir stands, I assure you. To all of you stuck in the 70s (Buffalo's biggest problem: always looking in the rear view mirror) I'm warning you about this with peace and love.

:blink: Huh?

I heard the Anaheim Ducks announcer yesterday, as discussing the draft, mention (as he tried to control laughter) that "the Sabres finally got rid of that God-Awful logo, huh?". The Slug has made the Sabres a league laughing-stock... similar to the Islanders joke of a logo years ago.

I think a rational person might say that the reason the slug sold well is because a lot of "new" Sabres fans started buying merchandise as the team made deep playoff runs in 2006-2007, in spite of the logo, not because of it.

:blink: Huh?

I heard the Anaheim Ducks announcer yesterday, as discussing the draft, mention (as he tried to control laughter) that "the Sabres finally got rid of that God-Awful logo, huh?". The Slug has made the Sabres a league laughing-stock... similar to the Islanders joke of a logo years ago.

I think a rational person might say that the reason the slug sold well is because a lot of "new" Sabres fans started buying merchandise as the team made deep playoff runs in 2006-2007, in spite of the logo, not because of it.

For all the bitching about the slug, it will go down in business and marketing annals as pure genius. They sold all those "ugly" slugs, added a throwback that people clamored for and now will release "close to throwback" anniversary jerseys.

That's five jerseys for sale in 5 years and people keep buying them. Brilliant!

Archived