Sabres Jerseys for 2011

BringBackBodger

The whole uniform re-design is a great example of the time-tested adage that "you can't please everyone." The Sabres could announce they're sending a $100 check to every fan and you'd have complaints about why they can't send cash.

These uniforms are such an improvement -- it really does show that the organization FINALLY listened to the fans, which is a big step.

I'm not "crazy" about the 3rds (won't buy one), but I think the idea was cool and it's a nice combination of tradition and innovation.

The whole uniform re-design is a great example of the time-tested adage that "you can't please everyone." The Sabres could announce they're sending a $100 check to every fan and you'd have complaints about why they can't send cash.

These uniforms are such an improvement -- it really does show that the organization FINALLY listened to the fans, which is a big step.

I'm not "crazy" about the 3rds (won't buy one), but I think the idea was cool and it's a nice combination of tradition and innovation.

I don't see in what way they listened to the fans. If they listened to the fans, there would have been no slug, or the slug would have last one season, if that.

The point remains that the Sabres skated out in the old unies for the last game of 2002-2003, OSP's first, and Rick read the script: "My lord, what have we here? A touch of... back to the future?" Paraphrasing a bit.

Something went terribly wrong after giving the fans the clear idea they'd be wearing the old unies from that day on.

I don't see in what way they listened to the fans. If they listened to the fans, there would have been no slug, or the slug would have last one season, if that.

The point remains that the Sabres skated out in the old unies for the last game of 2002-2003, OSP's first, and Rick read the script: "My lord, what have we here? A touch of... back to the future?" Paraphrasing a bit.

Something went terribly wrong after giving the fans the clear idea they'd be wearing the old unies from that day on.

These discussions have happened about a million times, so I won't rehash them, but I'm still completely convinced that reebok played a major role in that logo with their failed new jersey prototype. Anyway, as for the bolded portion, once that jersey became official (and I know you're saying it never should have in the first place), they couldn't just switch back immediately the next year. The league has rules in place that prevent that quick of a jersey change. I don't remember the exact time frame, so maybe they could have changed earlier than this season. Don't you think it was a nice touch to wait until the anniversary season to do that though, if that was indeed the thought process here?

Spooky. Remember in Pac-Man when the ghosts would sometimes turn blue and you could eat them? I think something like that happened to the old Banana Slug. His powers are severely diminished, but he's still here.

I'll only worry if the Slug on the website starts flashing blue and white.

These discussions have happened about a million times, so I won't rehash them, but I'm still completely convinced that reebok played a major role in that logo with their failed new jersey prototype. Anyway, as for the bolded portion, once that jersey became official (and I know you're saying it never should have in the first place), they couldn't just switch back immediately the next year. The league has rules in place that prevent that quick of a jersey change. I don't remember the exact time frame, so maybe they could have changed earlier than this season. Don't you think it was a nice touch to wait until the anniversary season to do that though, if that was indeed the thought process here?

Yeah. People didn't like the slug immediately, but the team was really good that year, so is was an easier issue to ignore. During the next two seasons, when the team was less impressive, more attention was brought to the awful uniform. Enough time had passed since the slug's release, but they knew the 40th was coming up in a couple of seasons. So, they released the eventual homes as a frequently-worn (almost 50/50 with the blue slugs at home) third as an intermediate step (with the added benefit of spreading out the releases, which probably increased the total sales of the three jerseys.) Now, with the additional benefit of timing with the 40th celebration, they made the switch complete.

All of this is speculation, of course, but seems completely reasonable. If true, it means that they actually started the process of switching back in 2007-08, when they started working on the design for the 2008-09 thirds and eventual homes. As impatient as I was about the switch back, I can understand delaying the total roll-out for the 40th.

Its hard to describe. its not checkering like a tablecloth in an italian restaurant. BUt it is not the 1970 thing you posted either. Trust me it doesnt look like you think. The jersey is done up nicely.

Maybe u meant something else, but

this:

looks a lot like

this:

Yeah. People didn't like the slug immediately, but the team was really good that year, so is was an easier issue to ignore.

But if I recall - a few of the Sabres were leading/near the top in the league in jersey sales that year. Partly due to the team was really good that year and partly because they changed back to blue & gold. A lot of people didn't like the slug but a lot of people still bought it. Same thing happened when they switched to black & red and same thing will happen now. Sabres fans love to support their team with the latest (and sometimes greatest :)) new look.

But if I recall - a few of the Sabres were leading/near the top in the league in jersey sales that year. Partly due to the team was really good that year and partly because they changed back to blue & gold. A lot of people didn't like the slug but a lot of people still bought it. Same thing happened when they switched to black & red and same thing will happen now. Sabres fans love to support their team with the latest (and sometimes greatest :)) new look.

Yes, of course. The combination of a good team, returning to the original colors, and just being new led to the high sales that year. However, they also delayed and limited the release of the retro thirds, which I'm sure skewed the sales from where they would have been had they, say, released all three jerseys at the start of the season together.

Yes, of course. The combination of a good team, returning to the original colors, and just being new led to the high sales that year. However, they also delayed and limited the release of the retro thirds, which I'm sure skewed the sales from where they would have been had they, say, released all three jerseys at the start of the season together.

For that I have to give them props - that is just good business sense. Or maybe since we are talking about the Sabres - that was a lucky break for them.

For that I have to give them props - that is just good business sense. Or maybe since we are talking about the Sabres - that was a lucky break for them.

I wouldn't give the Sabres' marketeers that much credit - you can go back and read all of the threads from that time period about the then-new logo and jerseys. When the new "slug" logo was leaked during the summer, there was an immediate negative reaction from fans. Many saw the sudden adoption of the original blue jersey as the "third" jersey as a way for team management to save face. In fact, when the team was preparing for the hastily called presser to announce the "new" third jersey, they actually had to search though old lockers and ask former players to get enough jerseys to use as a backdrop for the conference. It was such a rush job that the team had no chance to order matching pants; thus when the team wore the royal blue third jersey and socks, they still had the dark blue pants.

Obviously, the company making the jerseys for sales to the public needed time to ramp up production, hence the delay.

BTW, the white "pseudo-felt" numbers on the third jersey make it look cheap. At least they sprung for matching pants....:rolleyes:

I wouldn't give the Sabres' marketeers that much credit - you can go back and read all of the threads from that time period about the then-new logo and jerseys. When the new "slug" logo was leaked during the summer, there was an immediate negative reaction from fans. Many saw the sudden adoption of the original blue jersey as the "third" jersey as a way for team management to save face. In fact, when the team was preparing for the hastily called presser to announce the "new" third jersey, they actually had to search though old lockers and ask former players to get enough jerseys to use as a backdrop for the conference. It was such a rush job that the team had no chance to order matching pants; thus when the team wore the royal blue third jersey and socks, they still had the dark blue pants.

Obviously, the company making the jerseys for sales to the public needed time to ramp up production, hence the delay.

This would all seem reasonable if not for the NHL's required time for releasing new jerseys. If it really is 18-months, as rumored, between filing the paperwork and releasing a jersey, then how could they have released one just a few months after the slug was released? It seemed, at the time, like that's what happened, but I now wonder if that really could have been the case. Maybe, they just thought the slug would be much better received and that the third wouldn't have nearly the demand that it did.

This would all seem reasonable if not for the NHL's required time for releasing new jerseys. If it really is 18-months, as rumored, between filing the paperwork and releasing a jersey, then how could they have released one just a few months after the slug was released? It seemed, at the time, like that's what happened, but I now wonder if that really could have been the case. Maybe, they just thought the slug would be much better received and that the third wouldn't have nearly the demand that it did.

As this "third" jersey was actually the original design from 1970, it had already been approved by the league (and worn for a number of years). The 18 month lead time apparently didn't apply in such a case. (The same I guess would be true of the Winter Classic jerseys. The participating teams weren't "officially" selected until less than a year before the event, but they wore "vintage" jerseys whose design was already used by the team in years past. Kooky, huh?)

As this "third" jersey was actually the original design from 1970, it had already been approved by the league (and worn for a number of years). The 18 month lead time apparently didn't apply in such a case. (The same I guess would be true of the Winter Classic jerseys. The participating teams weren't "officially" selected until less than a year before the event, but they wore "vintage" jerseys whose design was already used by the team in years past. Kooky, huh?)

Except the third added numbers to the front. I imagine that would have to be re-approved.

BTW, the white "pseudo-felt" numbers on the third jersey make it look cheap.

They're going for "vintage" with this look. Off-white instead of true white, etc. Ever seen what those really old sweaters look like? They look pretty cheap. ;)

Regardless, for the first time in a while the Sabres are going to look pretty cool out on the ice. :thumbsup:

If only the Bills could lose the clown suits.

They're going for "vintage" with this look. Off-white instead of true white, etc. Ever seen what those really old sweaters look like? They look pretty cheap. ;)

Regardless, for the first time in a while the Sabres are going to look pretty cool out on the ice. :thumbsup:

They gotta lose the clowns at QB first.

And actually, that cheap look probably costs slightly more to produce. That stitching in the numbers has to take up more time than the stick and adhesive they usually use.

They'll exclusively sell at the Store through Wed. After that you can buy them everywhere jerseys are sold.

Oh -- I totally misinterpreted that. GREAT news! I thought they meant it will sell there until Wednesday and then be taken off the shelves until it debuts or at least until hockey season.

Now, who do I go with? I want an Ennis but as a poster on here pointed out, 63 seems like such an odd number and it seems possible he will switch numbers when maybe a 21 or 19 open up... I was thinking Myers, but my friend has a Myers (granted it's a slug) and, not that it really matters, but I've always thought it was pretty cool going to a game with a group of friends and everyone having a different jersey, rather than everyone having the same. Just a little pet peeve of mine, I guess. And finally I was thinking I might just cave and get a Miller -- he's the man.

Oh -- I totally misinterpreted that. GREAT news! I thought they meant it will sell there until Wednesday and then be taken off the shelves until it debuts or at least until hockey season.

Now, who do I go with? I want an Ennis but as a poster on here pointed out, 63 seems like such an odd number and it seems possible he will switch numbers when maybe a 21 or 19 open up... I was thinking Myers, but my friend has a Myers (granted it's a slug) and, not that it really matters, but I've always thought it was pretty cool going to a game with a group of friends and everyone having a different jersey, rather than everyone having the same. Just a little pet peeve of mine, I guess. And finally I was thinking I might just cave and get a Miller -- he's the man.

If you're set on Ennis, do what I'm going to do and wait until the start of the season to see if he changes his number once he "officially" makes the NHL roster. If I remember correctly, Kennedy immediately switched to 13 last year at that point.

Archived