Sabres Jerseys for 2011

BringBackBodger

For all the bitching about the slug, it will go down in business and marketing annals as pure genius. They sold all those "ugly" slugs, added a throwback that people clamored for and now will release "close to throwback" anniversary jerseys.

That's five jerseys for sale in 5 years and people keep buying them. Brilliant!

I'm not so sure that making your franchise a laughing-stock to accomplish all this is "brilliant marketing", but I see your point...

I'm not so sure that making your franchise a laughing-stock to accomplish all this is "brilliant marketing", but I see your point...

Just because a bunch of sportswriters and journalist poke fun at the emblem doesn't make them a laughingstock. Believe it or not, some people actually like them just like some people liked the goat heads. I don't know how old you are but when you reach my age you realize that you don't have a monopoly on what's good and what's bad. Very few opinion polls are ever more then 55% good, 45% bad.

Just because a bunch of sportswriters and journalist poke fun at the emblem doesn't make them a laughingstock. Believe it or not, some people actually like them just like some people liked the goat heads. I don't know how old you are but when you reach my age you realize that you don't have a monopoly on what's good and what's bad. Very few opinion polls are ever more then 55% good, 45% bad.

I admit it. I don't hate the Slug. I also have no more love for it than I do the crossed swords. In fact, when I think about it, I propbably have the most affection for the Goathead. I don't know why I just do.

If they win, I don't care if they have big purple dildos on the unis (well, maybe not that).

I totally agree with what you're saying here. I'm more like SwampD, and what's on the ice that matters. I personally think the Slug is a joke and I think I'm right in that a lot of NHL-people have "snickered" at the Sabres for years because of it. Look at Leafs, Canadiens, Rangers, Red Wings... "classic franchises"... do you see THEM changing their uniforms every other year for "brilliant marketing"? That's my point - but it's just me.

I swear to god I will never post another negative thought about Darcey Regier if everyone agrees to never post about the Sabres jerseys again.

Boy, talk about an empty threat. You know that's never going to happen.

I swear to god I will never post another negative thought about Darcey Regier if everyone agrees to never post about the Sabres jerseys again.

To me the uniform is RELATED to Darcy Regier... because it shows "the front office just doesn't get it". Darcy used to be far more dynamic than he is now regarding roster make-up. What changed? Front office?

From my point of view, everything from the jerseys to Darcy's behavior is illustrative of a team that cares less about winning and being a well-run organization than "marketing the product". (Hello, Russ Brandon)

This fact makes me far more upset at the jersey than I would have been (although I still think the slug is God-awful :thumbsup: )

To me the uniform is RELATED to Darcy Regier... because it shows "the front office just doesn't get it". Darcy used to be far more dynamic than he is now regarding roster make-up. What changed? Front office?

From my point of view, everything from the jerseys to Darcy's behavior is illustrative of a team that cares less about winning and being a well-run organization than "marketing the product". (Hello, Russ Brandon)

This fact makes me far more upset at the jersey than I would have been (although I still think the slug is God-awful :thumbsup: )

The two issues are not related. New jerseys are Quinn's only justification for existence. Damn you, you dragged me in. I need to shower. :wallbash:

I thought the same thing back when the Slug leaked in summer 2006. "If that was what they thought the fans wanted, do the people running this team really know what they're doing?" Of course, that seemed ridiculous, but fast forward a year later and Drury and Briere are gone in a flash on Black Sunday and we've been treated to soft teams in the three years since.

Uniforms are literally the easiest thing for a sports franchise to get right. And if they can't get them right, can you trust them to do the most important things right? To put it another way, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Bills have been a joke franchise for the last decade and have been wearing clown uniforms since 2002.

I thought the same thing back when the Slug leaked in summer 2006. "If that was what they thought the fans wanted, do the people running this team really know what they're doing?" Of course, that seemed ridiculous, but fast forward a year later and Drury and Briere are gone in a flash on Black Sunday and we've been treated to soft teams in the three years since.

Uniforms are literally the easiest thing for a sports franchise to get right. And if they can't get them right, can you trust them to do the most important things right? To put it another way, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Bills have been a joke franchise for the last decade and have been wearing clown uniforms since 2002.

I believe your analogy with the Bills is spot-on. Brandon and Quinn are cut from the same cloth... sell 'em flash (in their minds the Clown unis and the Slug are flash) and it will distract from the fact there is no substance, nor any desire to obtain substance. In the Bills case, it's also to distract from the fact they play "home games" in Toronto.

This is sort of my feeling on the subject of the Slug jersey too. I will always relate the Slug to the years where this team went from hero to zero. The last year of the Goathead was capped with a magical run. 06-07 was the return of Blue and Gold and the beginning of a new era.

Then they messed it up and released the Slug, an abortion of a jersey in the colors we had been longing to have back for a decade. The team didn't fare much better, starting out with great expectations and running the score up so high that they could coast into the playoffs where they would be disappointingly eliminated. It was evident to a number of die-hards that this team was not quite what we thought. Then the Drury-Briere debacle occurred sending the Sabres into two seasons of playoff absence mired by play that could only be described as uninspired. Just like the Slug.

To keep people interested we saw the advent of a throwback third, and then the new third, in the traditional logo. The end of the Slug was coming and we all knew it. And it was really the only bright spot for a majority of three seasons.

Now we are on the edge of what should be a new era. The Slug is dead, the Sabres made the playoffs, although in an unsurprising and uninspiring manner. They were eliminated in the first round in a way indicative of the Slug era that should be ending. The question is whether the new jersey really will usher in an era that will be positively associated with it, or will it wallow in disappointment?

• 2 months later...

For what it's worth, I was down at the Sabres store yesterday (had to get a polo for a wedding rehearsal dinner), and they have a knit winter hat with the old Bison's cap logo script on it. Some of the anniversary merch looks pretty cool, but not a whole lot was out for sale yet.

Not far off with the 3rd. The coloring will be more old school like a faded blue and they will have player numbers on the front....how that is a classic look is beyond me.

The numbers on the back will in fact be checkered....

Who said?

I heard there will be a name plate on the back, similar to the Flyers current 3rd, except yellow plate with names in Blue. I can't imagine they would have a checkered number on the back.

Archived