Sabres Jerseys for 2011

BringBackBodger

Those were the reasons given publicly by Quinn at the time, though--- which is where I took issue with his comments both then and now.

I don't remember hearing anything from Quinn on the subject. Any comments like this would be a shot at reebok and the league couldn't afford to risk that sponsorship.

I don't remember hearing anything from Quinn on the subject. Any comments like this would be a shot at reebok and the league couldn't afford to risk that sponsorship.

I'm referring to a new crest altogether rather than a return to the classic logo due it's circular nature conflicting with the cut of the revamped Reebok sweaters. Quinn went on record citing this as the reason for an entirely new crest (re:Slug) back in 2006.

But we need to remember that the other teams made the switch to the new jersey styles a year after the Buffalo and Anaheim changes were made. What other teams did has little to nothing to do with the design process of the slug.

I know; that's kind of part of the point. According to Quinn at the time, the league was discouraging circular and traditional logos, IIRC. Then, a year later, few teams changed from their traditional logos, including teams with "circular" logos (Bruins, Sens, Oilers, Isles, Flames (yes, it's only part of a circle) immediately come to mind).

There was no reason for the slug except for Quinn's ego and personal choice, was what I had been told. If Punch's source has a different story, that's cool. Like I said, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

I know; that's kind of part of the point. According to Quinn at the time, the league was discouraging circular and traditional logos, IIRC. Then, a year later, few teams changed from their traditional logos, including teams with "circular" logos (Bruins, Sens, Oilers, Isles, Flames (yes, it's only part of a circle) immediately come to mind).

There was no reason for the slug except for Quinn's ego and personal choice, was what I had been told. If Punch's source has a different story, that's cool. Like I said, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

For the record, the attribution to me is mistakenly quoted in your post due to a little html mixup when Claude_verret responded to me (I was reciting a quote from the linked NY Times article)--- it was actually Claude_verret's story you were referencing. What I have understood about the situation is much more in line with your interpretation.

For the record, the attribution to me is mistakenly quoted in your post due to a little html mixup when Claude_verret responded to me (I was reciting a quote from the linked NY Times article)--- it was actually Claude_verret's story you were referencing. What I have understood about the situation is much more in line with your interpretation.

You're right; my apologies.

I'll just assume that the real reason for the slug was a massive conspiracy. The cigarette smoking man never officially died, right?

Regardless of it's origin, my favorite part of the slug fiasco was the immediate spin that started once Larry realized he screwed the pooch. The gathering of old logo jerseys at HSBC (I believe one was LQ's) to form the impromptu presser stating the swords will be worn as thirds. It was laughable.

Regardless of it's origin, my favorite part of the slug fiasco was the immediate spin that started once Larry realized he screwed the pooch. The gathering of old logo jerseys at HSBC (I believe one was LQ's) to form the impromptu presser stating the swords will be worn as thirds. It was laughable.

I heard the pooch was left unsatisfied.

I had no idea that this had made the New York Times. I've submitted it to the front page in case it wasn't there before. The "Newspaper of Record" has officially used the term, "Buffaslug." In a headline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/06/sports/hockey/06sweaters.html?_r=1

I think that was on the front page. I read that one a few days back. I don't know where else I would have seen it. Anyway, I'm absolutely sick of that name. People continue to get it wrong over and over. It was the Slugallo! That name rolls of the tongue so much better than that version.

Archived