Sabres Jerseys for 2011

BringBackBodger

Do seriously think the players are embarassed to wear a jersey, especially at the NHL level? The paycheck takes care of that really quickly. If anyone is ever embarassed, it would be those minor leaguers who have to wear some of the monstrosities that those teams will break out for the random theme night.

Yeah I seriously think so. I think the feeling of pride putting on a Montreal Canadians or a Chicago Blackhawks jersey is an entirely different experience than putting on a slug jersey, don't you? Putting on a slug jersey seems like you're going out and representing a Mickey Mouse organization. The slug was strictly a cheap cartoon marketing ploy and although alot of people bought it because of the enthusiasm that comes with new things, (and I'm sorry, a good many Buffalo fans tend to be loyal to the point of being downright gullible) it failed, as any hockey venture that's headed by LQ is bound to do, fail.

I'm hopeful about the third jerseys mimicking the Bisons script will bring back tradition and I'm glad the slug and goathead are gone but I feel we're putting lipstick on a pig. It's still the same old Sabres...no improvements in the offseason. The unis are just another tail-between-the-legs retreat by an amateurish front office.

Someone should pay for this HIT to Sabre pride, but because this is corporate America, the idiots are in charge.

Yeah I seriously think so. I think the feeling of pride putting on a Montreal Canadians or a Chicago Blackhawks jersey is an entirely different experience than putting on a slug jersey, don't you? Putting on a slug jersey seems like you're going out and representing a Mickey Mouse organization. The slug was strictly a cheap cartoon marketing ploy and although alot of people bought it because of the enthusiasm that comes with new things, (and I'm sorry, a good many Buffalo fans tend to be loyal to the point of being downright gullible) it failed, as any hockey venture that's headed by LQ is bound to do, fail.

I'm hopeful about the third jerseys mimicking the Bisons script will bring back tradition and I'm glad the slug and goathead are gone but I feel we're putting lipstick on a pig. It's still the same old Sabres...no improvements in the offseason. The unis are just another tail-between-the-legs retreat by an amateurish front office.

Someone should pay for this HIT to Sabre pride, but because this is corporate America, the idiots are in charge.

I actually liked the goathead. I thought it looked mean.

Nobody should be complaining about anything with these jerseys. The original logo is back and the slug is gone forever. That's all the majority of fans wanted. There is now no need for anymore jersey threads.

I'm a contributing poster to sabresnotslugs, so nobody here is happier that the slug is officially gone. That doesn't, however, mean that I can't point out a few little details that I would have done differently. They are 99% better, but the other 1% wouldn't have been too hard to get. Oh well, huge step in the right direction.

Sad part is that someone in the marketing department will trot out the slugs 10 years from now as a throwback jersey strickly as a moneygrab(we've all seen that ploy)and everyone will rush out to buy it proving once again how smart the organization is and just how damn gullible some fans can be.

Sad part is that someone in the marketing department will trot out the slugs 10 years from now as a throwback jersey strickly as a moneygrab(we've all seen that ploy)and everyone will rush out to buy it proving once again how smart the organization is and just how damn gullible some fans can be.

Like they did with the Goathead? We all remember when they brought that back for a money grab ... wait, they didn't?

:nana:

Like they did with the Goathead? We all remember when they brought that back for a money grab ... wait, they didn't?

:nana:

Or the triumphant return of the NYI clown unis (aka the Gorton's fisherman). Yes, the Isles' orange debacles are in a league w/ the clown unis or the abominable snot smear, but in the same way the Royals and Red Sox are in the same league. If the Isles are smart enough to bury that abortion, I'd like to believe the Sabres are smart enough to bury theirs.

I could actually see the Sabres bringing back a b&g version of the Shatanic Goathead down the road (most likely as a shoulder patch), but I just can't see them bringing back the slug.

Ok to the people complaining about the new whites...SU. This is close enough. Shut up and be freaking happy for crying out loud. I'm on the boat. After this long ass journey, it is a sight for sore and weary eyes. Consider it done and done.

Close enough, eh? Where have I heard that before?

The problem I and many others, I'm sure, have is the non-stop tinkering with the uniforms. The end of the season in which OSP bought the team, the Sabres skated out at home in the old blue and gold. People went nuts. How hard would it have been to freshen up those uniforms for the next season and call it a day? It's all anybody ever wanted. How many years to get into the old look for good? Seven? How many iterations of the same look during that time? Three? Four? And even now we have to deal with yet another third jersey thrown into the mix.

Where does it end? Does it ever end?

Close enough, eh? Where have I heard that before?

The problem I and many others, I'm sure, have is the non-stop tinkering with the uniforms. The end of the season in which OSP bought the team, the Sabres skated out at home in the old blue and gold. People went nuts. How hard would it have been to freshen up those uniforms for the next season and call it a day? It's all anybody ever wanted. How many years to get into the old look for good? Seven? How many iterations of the same look during that time? Three? Four? And even now we have to deal with yet another third jersey thrown into the mix.

Where does it end? Does it ever end?

No, it never ends. Teams will always do these kind of things to make money. People can complain all they want (and god knows they will), but uniform changes aren't going to suddenly go away.

Whoever complains about these jerseys is going to get punched in the ear...

BE HAPPY THAT THE SLUG IS GONE............................................................................................................

thank you elcrusho! I totally agree!

No, it never ends. Teams will always do these kind of things to make money. People can complain all they want (and god knows they will), but uniform changes aren't going to suddenly go away.

I was going to point to a team (like the Canadiens or the Blackhawks) and say, "Gee, they don't change their unis very often, and their jersey sales seem to be OK..." BUT - a few weeks back, when Patrick Kane was parading the Cup around Buffalo, one of his teenybopper groupies was wearing a green Blackhawks jersey with a shamrock on the front where the "C" would normally go ('cause Patrick is South Buffalo Irish, you know). I doubt this was an "official" NHL jersey, but somebody made it...and somebody bought it. BTW, it looked like hell.:sick:

I was going to point to a team (like the Canadiens or the Blackhawks) and say, "Gee, they don't change their unis very often, and their jersey sales seem to be OK..." BUT - a few weeks back, when Patrick Kane was parading the Cup around Buffalo, one of his teenybopper groupies was wearing a green Blackhawks jersey with a shamrock on the front where the "C" would normally go ('cause Patrick is South Buffalo Irish, you know). I doubt this was an "official" NHL jersey, but somebody made it...and somebody bought it. BTW, it looked like hell.:sick:

Oh, it's official alright. The NHL markets St. Patty's day themed gear.

I'm not joking.

The Habs came out w/ about 7 (or was it 100?) different sweaters for the 100th anniversary seasons. They also wear, on occassion, the very cool white w/ the blue & red 3rd/vintage.

The B-Hawks wear an all-black.

The Loafs change the unis seemingly every 5 or so years.

The Strangers wore the NYR shield in the late '70's.

The B's have gone through several uni changes, but have only had relatively minor tweaks to the classic spoked B.

Only the Wings haven't screwed too much w/ their classic look. (I guess the same could be said for the Hawks minus their 3rd and the Habs minus the 3rd and the 'celebration' unis. Their changes were pretty minor; they went from red collars to the blue&white ones and also tweaked piping around the #'s.) About the only major change I can recall since the early '70's was wearing stylized #'s for a couple of years when Illitch 1st bought the team.

Pretty much everybody else has had major/significant changes through the years:

Filly - all blacks, pajama pants, that stupid white nameplate, much more subtle changes

Pittsburgh - color changes, logo changes, major styling changes

Stars - green primary to black, major styling changes

Kings - color changes, logo changes, etc

Blues - relatively major logo tweaks, massive styling changes (add red, remove red, etc)

Nucks - logo changes, color changes, etc

Isles - Gorton's fisherman, orange unis, etc

Flames - logo color change, classis fairly boring reds, motocross reds, etc

Caps - color changes, logo changes, etc

Sharks - logo mods, major styling mods

Eulers - tweaks to logo, darkening blues

Canes - ??? (too damn dull in all permutations to notice)

Avs - styling changes

Yotes - logo changes, styling changes including going from earth tones to reasonable ones

Sens - logo changes, red to black back to red

The newer ones have ALL had changes as well.

As Shrader said, we're pretty much stuck w/ changing unis. Hopefully though, now that the Sabres are back to a classic logo and nearly classic colors, we'll only get tweaks in the future.

THANK YOU! The Canadiens and Blackhawks have jerseys that kids have dreamed about wearing one day -- for generations. The Leafs, Bruins, and Red Wings have tweaked their looks over the years but can still say the same thing. Uniforms matter. The classic jerseys have mystique and tradition that can't be replicated by whatever trendy marketing crap the people at Reebok, Nike, or whoever, can come up with.

It's the front office admitting they made a horrible mistake. It doesn't mean they get it. But it's a start.

THANK YOU! The Canadiens and Blackhawks have jerseys that kids have dreamed about wearing one day -- for generations. The Leafs, Bruins, and Red Wings have tweaked their looks over the years but can still say the same thing. Uniforms matter. The classic jerseys have mystique and tradition that can't be replicated by whatever trendy marketing crap the people at Reebok, Nike, or whoever, can come up with.

Those Jerseys could be pink with brown stripes and a fairy logo and people would still dream about putting one on and playing for the team, not because they are fashionable, BUT BECAUSE OF THE RICH HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE BEING ONE OF THE ORIGINAL SIX TEAMS

Kids dream about putting on the jersey because of the teams history, not because they think that the jersey makes them look good, except for Buffalo I guess

The Habs came out w/ about 7 (or was it 100?) different sweaters for the 100th anniversary seasons. They also wear, on occassion, the very cool white w/ the blue & red 3rd/vintage.

If you go far enough back, the Yankees have had different uniforms than the ones they wear now. That doesn't mean they haven't had a consistent look for most of their history, and certainly for their most relevant years.

Every team has had minor tweaks over the years, but the Leafs have always looked like the Leafs, the Habs have always looked like the Habs, the Red Wings have always looked like the Red Wings, etc.

The Sabres lost all uniform consistency over the last 13 years. The 1970, 1996, and 2006 Sabres look like three different franchises. People make fun of the Islanders' Gorton's Fisherman, but even that is a less jarring change than what the Sabres did in 1996 and 2006. Hopefully they can finally start repairing the damage.

Those Jerseys could be pink with brown stripes and a fairy logo and people would still dream about putting one on and playing for the team, not because they are fashionable, BUT BECAUSE OF THE RICH HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE BEING ONE OF THE ORIGINAL SIX TEAMS

Kids dream about putting on the jersey because of the teams history, not because they think that the jersey makes them look good, except for Buffalo I guess

The jerseys are fashionable because they're classic. They weren't designing by some hotshot with ADD who wanted to appeal to teenagers.

The rich history starts with the simple uniforms because that's about all you could do way back in the day. They were literally sweaters.

And there's something special about wearing the same uniform that's been worn for generations.

Archived