Sabres Jerseys for 2011

BringBackBodger

I got this hat(similar to the previous one posted but with white stitching) at the arena but NOT in the main Sabres store... it was up in the hallway of the second level at one of the souvenier stands. I got it same time I got my new third jersey, at Puckdrop. They didn't have this hat anywhere else in the arena that I saw... this is my new favorite hat...

post-206-058745800 1285762170_thumb.jpg

I just realized that I missed an opportunity with the free customization. Sure, getting the authentic new away would have been nice, but the size 50's sold out fast (was removed from pull-down of size.) That's not what I'm talking about, however. I want a complete collection of authentics and one that I'm missing is the white slug (yes, as much as it pains me to admit, I have a blue one.) With free customization and the liquidation price, it would have been $120 for the fully customized authentic. Now, with the customization back at $80, it's just not worth it.

Are their jerseys with names sewed on and what do they charge? Less then HSBC Arena?

I was there Friday and bought a blank 40th anniversary 3rd. The pre-lettered jerseys come right from Reebok and the names and numbers are a plastic-y feel, and the yellow name plate is the entire width of the shoulders, regardless of name size. The guy working (either Dave or Adam, I forget which one) told me, though, that if you have them customize a blank 3rd, they send it out and they are using a nice felt number and lettering. He showed me what they are using and it feels nice, like the authentics. The blanks were $85 and the pre-lettered were $125, both prices cheaper than the Arena store.

I was up in B-lo for the (uggh) Bills-Jets debacle this weekend and stopped by the Dave & Adam's location on Transit. Picked up both of the new script hats (royal and navy) and a fleece with the old/new logo on the back. Cool store -- tons of Sabres (and Bills) stuff, and a lot of the new white and 3rd jerseys.

From the NY Times:

The Sabres heard their fans’ objections. “We always wanted to go back to the original uniform,” said Larry Quinn, the Sabres’ managing partner. He said the slug design was an effort to find a fit for the trim, postlockout Reebok uniforms mandated by the league. “It’s been a five- or six-year process.”

Sure, Larry. Take credit whenever you can. What a jerk.

Although I love this quote from Vanek:

“Honestly, I’m glad that the old logo has gone now,” Thomas Vanek, a forward entering his sixth season with the Sabres, said on his Web site. “For me, our throwback jerseys are the best in the league. I loved the buffalo with the crossed sabers already as a kid.”

From the NY Times:

That was a fun read. Quinn's an ass, but who cares, in the end they got it right (and made a lot of $$ in the process).

As bad as the slug was/is, nothing can compete with the Isles' Gorton's Fisherman look. I had forgotten just how horrid those unis were.

From the NY Times:

The Sabres heard their fans’ objections. “We always wanted to go back to the original uniform,” said Larry Quinn, the Sabres’ managing partner. He said the slug design was an effort to find a fit for the trim, postlockout Reebok uniforms mandated by the league. “It’s been a five- or six-year process.”

Sure, Larry. Take credit whenever you can. What a jerk.

Although I love this quote from Vanek:

“Honestly, I’m glad that the old logo has gone now,” Thomas Vanek, a forward entering his sixth season with the Sabres, said on his Web site. “For me, our throwback jerseys are the best in the league. I loved the buffalo with the crossed sabers already as a kid.”

That quote from Quinn is exactly what has been speculated about those jerseys by quite a few people. It's entirely possible that he's just covering his ass now, but the idea that reebok was the driving force in that jersey change is just as likely.

That was a fun read. Quinn's an ass, but who cares, in the end they got it right (and made a lot of $$ in the process).

As bad as the slug was/is, nothing can compete with the Isles' Gorton's Fisherman look. I had forgotten just how horrid those unis were.

It's just annoying how Quinnie emerges from his dungeon headquarters to either a) condescend to the fans or b) claim credit for popular moves (which more often than not contradict earlier statements he's made and his actual "contributions").

But amen, they absolutely look great. It's about time they corrected what should have been a pretty easy fix.

That quote from Quinn is exactly what has been speculated about those jerseys by quite a few people. It's entirely possible that he's just covering his ass now, but the idea that reebok was the driving force in that jersey change is just as likely.

That's possible that Reebok is responsible, but if true, the fact remains that other teams with a circular crest did not follow suit: The Bruins, Islanders, Oilers, et al.

I don't doubt it was planned all along, to be honest, but Quinn's comments up until now have been along the lines that the slug design was not temporary but a way for the organization to move forward. Now he's saying we're looking back at Buffalo hockey history out of respect, because that's what the fans want. When other franchises make these types of moves, it doesn't seem like there is a spokesman at the forefront talking out of both sides of his mouth in quite the same condescending and arrogant fashion as Quinn.

Of course, Quinn and the slug have been discussed ad infinitum, and I'm probably just griping at this point. Basically, I can't wait for the season to start.

Take this for what it's worth. I was at a festival in Charlotte a few weeks ago and began talking to a guy who noticed my classic logo Sabres hat. He claimed that a close family member works for the Sabres and he relayed to me basically the same story as Quinn does above, that the team was forced into the slug by Reebok. As much as I hate Quinn, I tend to believe him here to an extent. I just can't believe that anyone that has an inkling of an idea of what Sabres fans are about would have chosen the slug on purpose. Even an idiot like Quinn.

That's possible that Reebok is responsible, but if true, the fact remains that other teams with a circular crest did not follow suit: The Bruins, Islanders, Oilers, et al.

The non-circular logo thing was based on the original prototype of the reebok edge system that was quickly abandoned once players actually tested it out. So there was no need for other teams to follow suit since that jersey concept had already been abandoned.

The non-circular logo thing was based on the original prototype of the reebok edge system that was quickly abandoned once players actually tested it out. So there was no need for other teams to follow suit since that jersey concept had already been abandoned.

I thought the detail rejected by the players was the material and not the cut of the shirts? And the cut was where the conflict with the circular logo came into play? Maybe I'm misremembering that part. Quinn stated specifically that they weren't using the old logo because it was circular, which seemed dubious at the time.

Not to say it's impossible, but I'm curious how Reebok could force the Sabres hand in regards to crest design? Did they hand over control to Reebok?

I don't doubt it was planned all along, to be honest, but Quinn's comments up until now have been along the lines that the slug design was not temporary but a way for the organization to move forward. Now he's saying we're looking back at Buffalo hockey history out of respect, because that's what the fans want. When other franchises make these types of moves, it doesn't seem like there is a spokesman at the forefront talking out of both sides of his mouth in quite the same condescending and arrogant fashion as Quinn.

Maybe it seems condescending and arrogant since you're emotionally invested in this team, and not the others? I'm not saying that's a negative thing, just human nature.

Maybe it seems condescending and arrogant since you're emotionally invested in this team, and not the others? I'm not saying that's a negative thing, just human nature.

I'm 100% sure I take it a little more personally because of that, but there's no question he can be extremely rough around the edges when directing comments to the public. I guess when there's a press conference at the end of the season to talk about the most recent playoff series and the future direction of the team on the ice, I don't want Larry Quinn to be seated at the dais at all, let alone between Darcy and Lindy. The arrogance I believe comes in his insistence on placing himself at the forefront as much as anything that comes out of his mouth.

I thought the detail rejected by the players was the material and not the cut of the shirts? And the cut was where the conflict with the circular logo came into play? Maybe I'm misremembering that part. Quinn stated specifically that they weren't using the old logo because it was circular, which seemed dubious at the time.

Not to say it's impossible, but I'm curious how Reebok could force the Sabres hand in regards to crest design? Did they hand over control to Reebok?

Reebok was the league's big sponsor coming out of the lockout. With all the rebuilding needed after canceling an entire season, it's not crazy to think that the league would bend to their will.

Take this for what it's worth. I was at a festival in Charlotte a few weeks ago and began talking to a guy who noticed my classic logo Sabres hat. He claimed that a close family member works for the Sabres and he relayed to me basically the same story as Quinn does above, that the team was forced into the slug by Reebok. As much as I hate Quinn, I tend to believe him here to an extent. I just can't believe that anyone that has an inkling of an idea of what Sabres fans are about would have chosen the slug on purpose. Even an idiot like Quinn.

I appreciate your perspective, but I have a different story: A friend who is one level below exec was actually asked (with others of similar level, and others below that level) to vote on the slugs as part of a small opinion poll; he and, nearly everyone in on it, voted no, and Quinn was upset about the lack of support for his (Quinn's) chosen design. Quinn wanted that one. Other posters had noted at the time that other teams were able to fit in their traditional logos. I've mentioned my story before, but in the context of what you wrote (I have no reason to doubt you), I'll go with my regular conclusion on rumors:

Somewhere in between, is the truth.

I appreciate your perspective, but I have a different story: A friend who is one level below exec was actually asked (with others of similar level, and others below that level) to vote on the slugs as part of a small opinion poll; he and, nearly everyone in on it, voted no, and Quinn was upset about the lack of support for his (Quinn's) chosen design. Quinn wanted that one. Other posters had noted at the time that other teams were able to fit in their traditional logos. I've mentioned my story before, but in the context of what you wrote (I have no reason to doubt you), I'll go with my regular conclusion on rumors:

Somewhere in between, is the truth.

But we need to remember that the other teams made the switch to the new jersey styles a year after the Buffalo and Anaheim changes were made. What other teams did has little to nothing to do with the design process of the slug.

But we need to remember that the other teams made the switch to the new jersey styles a year after the Buffalo and Anaheim changes were made. What other teams did has little to nothing to do with the design process of the slug.

Those were the reasons given publicly by Quinn at the time, though--- which is where I took issue with his comments both then and now.

Archived