STANLEY CUP FINALS

LabattBlue

They're a tough out.

Niemi has been the weak link for Chicago in this series. They're fighting back in this game right now, but they shouldn't have been in this hole to begin with.

Philly has also done a great job of making Chicago look tired, just like Boston. I really didn't expect this kind of play by Philly.

isn't that a penalty shot? His hand was on the puck in the crease.

I said the same thing. It was really quick though and you are allowed to sweep it out. The non-hooking call was the one that bothered me, but D4rksabre is right, Philly earned the calls by out skating them for most of the game.

It wasn't that--which is a cheap gesture. He fired something into a bunch of Blackhawks players who were standing in the corner after the game. Turns out it was a "rally towel" that had been thrown to the ice by a fan. Seriously, the ref should have let Eager have at him. You don't shoot things at your opponents.

IIRC, didn't Pronger do the same thing when he was playing for the Ducks a few years ago? I know there was a playoff series where one guy shot a puck at another player as the horn sounded either ending the game or the period.

If anything, given his lack of sportsmanship, Pronger should never go into the HHOF.

IIRC, didn't Pronger do the same thing when he was playing for the Ducks a few years ago? I know there was a playoff series where one guy shot a puck at another player as the horn sounded either ending the game or the period.

If anything, given his lack of sportsmanship, Pronger should never go into the HHOF.

That was Alfredsson.

I said the same thing. It was really quick though and you are allowed to sweep it out. The non-hooking call was the one that bothered me, but D4rksabre is right, Philly earned the calls by out skating them for most of the game.

I don't believe you are allowed to put your hand over the puck in any instance in the crease. You might be able to "punch it out", but covering it with your hand at any point is essentially protecting it from an opponent's stick.

I award a do over!

I don't believe you are allowed to put your hand over the puck in any instance in the crease. You might be able to "punch it out", but covering it with your hand at any point is essentially protecting it from an opponent's stick.

I award a do over!

Yeah, you can knock it out with any other part of your hand, but once the palm is involved, they're going to call it. They got lucky last night that it was so close to the end of the crease.

Because every single player in the HoF is the perfect example of sportsmanship.

Rule 63.5 Penalty Shot - No defending player, except the goalkeeper, will be permitted to fall on the puck, hold the puck, pick up the puck, or gather the puck into the body or hands when the puck is within the goal crease.

Rule 63.5 Penalty Shot - No defending player, except the goalkeeper, will be permitted to fall on the puck, hold the puck, pick up the puck, or gather the puck into the body or hands when the puck is within the goal crease.

I think that is where the common interpretation derives from. To grab and fling, means you have to hold it 1st.

You can fling without holding. What Swamp said.

Well, I don't know what your definition of "fling" is. But everything that I have ever heard from any player or ref is that you can't "close your hand" on the puck. That would fall under "holding the puck" in the rule you just referenced. I think it is reasonable to assume that if you cover the entire puck with your hand you are indeed holding it.

These have been four great games and here's to three more just like them. Some great stories are have emerged. Where did this Leino kid come from. 68 career NHL games and here he is almost a ppg player in the playoffs. Claude Giroux in his second season has 21 points in 21 playoff games and a +11? Byfuglien and Bolland coming up big. The goaltenders coming from nowhere. I'm going to hate when this series is finally over.

Well, I don't know what your definition of "fling" is. But everything that I have ever heard from any player or ref is that you can't "close your hand" on the puck. That would fall under "holding the puck" in the rule you just referenced. I think it is reasonable to assume that if you cover the entire puck with your hand you are indeed holding it.

I wouldn't say covering the puck with your hand is holding it. But it's all semantics, and because of how poorly written the rulebook is, we could go on for years with this discussion.

Unfortunately, different refs have different interpretations. It's going to be called differently, and good luck explaining to a new fan what the rule is. It's the NHL. Flip a coin.

These have been four great games and here's to three more just like them. Some great stories are have emerged. Where did this Leino kid come from. 68 career NHL games and here he is almost a ppg player in the playoffs. Claude Giroux in his second season has 21 points in 21 playoff games and a +11? Byfuglien and Bolland coming up big. The goaltenders coming from nowhere. I'm going to hate when this series is finally over.

Ken Holland gave up on Leino. Even the best screw up once in a while.

I wouldn't say covering the puck with your hand is holding it. But it's all semantics, and because of how poorly written the rulebook is, we could go on for years with this discussion.

Unfortunately, different refs have different interpretations. It's going to be called differently, and good luck explaining to a new fan what the rule is. It's the NHL. Flip a coin.

How about "swatting" instead of "flinging"?

Duncan Keith is just a great player. I have enjoyed watching his play more than anything in the Finals. Glad to get a look at a player I don't see all that often

I hope the TV numbers stay strong and more people get a good look at the level of talent that is making this a great series. I hate that we have to wait for the series to continue.

Archived