STANLEY CUP FINALS

LabattBlue

Nah, they were booing Bettman. I heard plenty of cheering for the arrival of the Cup and for the Hawks' skates with it.

I don't have a problem with them booing Bettman, but they definitely booed Toews when he was awarded MVP, which is just classless. Very unceremonious end to a sweet series -- I'm glad the Hawks won it, but really was hoping for a game 7. Now we turn our attention to July 1...

I don't have a problem with them booing Bettman, but they definitely booed Toews when he was awarded MVP, which is just classless. Very unceremonious end to a sweet series -- I'm glad the Hawks won it, but really was hoping for a game 7. Now we turn our attention to July 1...

Some will, some won't. I won't be expecting much from a GM who was a "cup of coffee" hockey player back in the day. Then again, most of us haven't either - not as of late.

I expected to come on here today and see outrage over the MVP choice last night. Given it to Toews was weak. He was hardly the MVP. Like it or not, like him or not, it belonged to Briere.

I expected to come on here today and see outrage over the MVP choice last night. Given it to Toews was weak. He was hardly the MVP. Like it or not, like him or not, it belonged to Briere.

I wasn't able to watch most of the series, but I agree that Toews should not have been awarded the Conn Smythe. I would have preferred to give it to Dustin Byfuglien. Pronger met his match with that guy.

Toews put up a 13 game point streak and lead Chicago in scoring through the playoffs. Briere was the only player in the league to put up more points, posting one more point but also playing one extra game. The Conn Smythe is about the entire playoffs and not just the finals. They don't get there without Toews.

Thanks. That was great. VS is improving but still has a way to go to catch up with TSN and CBC.

Some will, some won't. I won't be expecting much from a GM who was a "cup of coffee" hockey player back in the day. Then again, most of us haven't either - not as of late.

Et tu? Have a little faith. It will be a good summer.

Briere is in my top 4, but I think Pronger was more valuable to Philly. Briere had a huge playoffs start to finish and probably gets the nod over Richards though, since Richards had a pretty quiet finals.

Toews put up a 13 game point streak and lead Chicago in scoring through the playoffs. Briere was the only player in the league to put up more points, posting one more point but also playing one extra game. The Conn Smythe is about the entire playoffs and not just the finals. They don't get there without Toews.

I have to agree, although I might have voted for Keith.

Agreed, the entire playoffs. Philly doesn't get there either without Briere. And considering how big Briere goals were, I contend he was more valuable than Toews.

These are their relevant stats:

Briere vs Toews

GP 23 vs 22

Goals 12 vs 7

Assists 18 vs 22

+/- +9 vs -1

Gw 4 vs 3

Sh% 19% vs 12.1%

47 goals scored in the final. I wonder how this stacks up historically.

Sabres and Stars combined for 22 goals in the same number of games. At least one of the dinosaurs coaching in that series has gone extinct.

Flyers-Hawks was fun to watch.

This Toews talk got me thinking about the absolute NHL factory of forwards that North Dakota had going in the mid 00s. Parise, Zajac, Oshie, Toews, and Stafford. The book's still out on Oshie, but we wind up with the 2nd most hyped out of that group, who so far is shaping up to be the only flop in the group.

47 goals scored in the final. I wonder how this stacks up historically.

Sabres and Stars combined for 22 goals in the same number of games. At least one of the dinosaurs coaching in that series has gone extinct.

Flyers-Hawks was fun to watch.

Obtuse. Must you pretend that the differences in the rosters have no bearing on the number of goals scored? Sure, that was Hasek vs. Belfour and this was Niemi vs. Leighton, and that was Modano vs. Satan while this was Kane, Toews and Hossa vs. Briere, Carter and Richards -- but it must have been the coaching!

The "theory" you ceaselessly espouse is flawed enough without you trying to force it into a completely inapplicable fact pattern.

This Toews talk got me thinking about the absolute NHL factory of forwards that North Dakota had going in the mid 00s. Parise, Zajac, Oshie, Toews, and Stafford. The book's still out on Oshie, but we wind up with the 2nd most hyped out of that group, who so far is shaping up to be the only flop in the group.

Aarrggggh...

Jeez, I wonder why.

Obtuse. Must you pretend that the differences in the rosters have no bearing on the number of goals scored? Sure, that was Hasek vs. Belfour and this was Niemi vs. Leighton, and that was Modano vs. Satan while this was Kane, Toews and Hossa vs. Briere, Carter and Richards -- but it must have been the coaching!

I think both Brett Hull and Joe Nieuwendyk at least deserve honorable mentioning in that sentence. Sergei Zubov anyone?

Fact is that Stars team was pretty loaded on offense. Buffalo on the other hand.....

Out of the lockout, Buffalo 110 points, Chicago 65. Pittsburgh 58.

Penguins recent top-5 draft picks:

2003 - Marc Andre Fleury (#1 overall)

2004 - Evgeni Malkin (#2 overall)

2005 - Sidney Crosby (#1 overall)

2006 - Jordan Staal (#2 overall)

Blackhawks recent top-5 draft picks:

2004 - Cam Barker (#3 overall)

2006 - Jonathan Toews (#3 overall)

2007 - Patrick Kane (#1 overall)

Sabres recent top-5 draft picks:

2003 - Thomas Vanek (#5 overall)

I think both Brett Hull and Joe Nieuwendyk at least deserve honorable mentioning in that sentence. Sergei Zubov anyone?

Fact is that Stars team was pretty loaded on offense. Buffalo on the other hand.....

Hull (at age 35) had 58 pts that year; Nieuwendyk (at age 33) had 55. Modano led the team with 81, and Hull was #2 with 58. They weren't loaded.

Penguins recent top-5 draft picks:

2003 - Marc Andre Fleury (#1 overall)

2004 - Evgeni Malkin (#2 overall)

2005 - Sidney Crosby (#1 overall)

2006 - Jordan Staal (#2 overall)

Blackhawks recent top-5 draft picks:

2004 - Cam Barker (#3 overall)

2006 - Jonathan Toews (#3 overall)

2007 - Patrick Kane (#1 overall)

Sabres recent top-5 draft picks:

2003 - Thomas Vanek (#5 overall)

You can quickly and easily make your own Taco Seasoning.

Archived